Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

exquisite tea posted:

I won't play the game until someone can answer the burning question of whether you can in fact deedle it in the wonder labyrinth.

If you need to Google something on Bing, Deedleit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ambaire posted:

Astroneer got a big update today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1mV616rvpU

New mission system

New, bigger power systems

And a smaller one (QT RTG, to the left) that can either be found or rewarded from certain missions

And the feature that I'm most excited about : a COMPASS!!! no more getting lost on long exploratory journeys

Power production and usage was also thoroughly revamped, with higher power production but also much higher usage depending on the industry. Check the update link for more details.

Cross posted to the dedicated Astroneer thread.

e. goddamnit, should've waited for 1 more post. ah well, suppose it doesn't really matter

I wish there was an option to build a base with an interior.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I wish there was an option to build a base with an interior.

:same:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My lifehack is that hollowing out underneath a monolith both provides you with a nice roof for an 'interior' as well as provides a convenience factor in that you're now living underneath a monolith.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I really wish i'd paid those few extra dollars and bought Astroneer on something useful like Steam and not MS store.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh poo poo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TMMadman posted:

You know, I just realized that it's pretty funny when Steam asks me if I want to recommend a game I have 'played' for 2100+ hours (EU4). Although to be fair, I have often let the game sit paused in the background for days at a time while playing a bit here and there.

I don't really bother with the recommendations and stuff, but you'd think that after a certain threshold of hours that steam would just assume you'd recommend a game.

You'd think so, but there are people on this forum with 500 hours in Fallout 4 who absolutely hate it.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

For sure. Some of the most bitter and negative reviews are from people who have just played the game to death

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it’s also possible for a game to be ruined after you’ve sunk hundreds of hours into it, by a bad update or toxic community.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I played Diablo 3 for the whole summer of 2012 because it felt like the fun part was right around the corner, right after I find that one really expensive drop that I can sell for millions of gold. Needless to say it never happened. I probably had 300 hours in it by the time I finally abandoned it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

bees x1000 posted:

it’s also possible for a game to be ruined after you’ve sunk hundreds of hours into it, by a bad update or toxic community.

This was me, with Robocraft. 200+ hours in it, then they removed the tiered blocks system and the pilot seat system and then made it pay to win with all sorts of micro transactions and poo poo...

Game was really fun back in early 2015. Haven't played it in at least 4 years.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A lot of games also sold on the understanding that it will take many many hours to get where you're going, either through mastery or grinding or whatever. When you sink many hours into a game on the premise that good things are right round the corner, only to find out it's all a sham, you're allowed to vent on the internet. Like you can tell if a puzzle game is trash within 10 minutes, but something like a (single player-) MMO takes fuckin' 20 hours before you've done the tutorials.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Serephina posted:

but something like a (single player-) MMO takes fuckin' 20 hours before you've done the tutorials.

FFXIV is a good example of this. It's an MMO wrapped around a JRPG and it can take 200-300 hours to get to max level for the first time, if you do every quest and watch every cinematic. Might be an exaggeration, but it's what I've heard; I never kept track of how long it took me to get through stuff. And then there's leveling the gathering and crafting professions... Leveling crafting in FFXIV is an entire game in itself.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Ambaire posted:

This was me, with Robocraft. 200+ hours in it, then they removed the tiered blocks system and the pilot seat system and then made it pay to win with all sorts of micro transactions and poo poo...

Game was really fun back in early 2015. Haven't played it in at least 4 years.

230 hours in Trove. Not that it was ever a high concept game, but then all at once they locked basically everything behind paywalls and I think disabled the player market sometime shortly after. Nowadays they apparently just "hibernate" your account if you've been inactive for ~6 months, and it doesn't sound like anybody has ever successfully gotten support to un-hibernate their account!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fawf posted:

I was about to go "holy poo poo!" because it's literally the first time since its release 5 years ago that it's gone on sale but lol they just bumped the base price up and it's the same cost as before

Eh, it's the difference between $12 and $15 CDN, and if it was originally released at $12 CDN, it was probably a bit undervalued anyway - certainly for a game with so much voice-acting.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Hey steam thread, the best cyberpunk game released in 2020 is getting an expansion/sequel!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1536370/Cloudpunk__City_of_Ghosts/

https://twitter.com/ionlands/status/1377237239042834432

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok so like I read the steam information and some user reviews and I’m not 100% what kinda game this is.

It’s like a delivery simulator?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what if euro truck simulator....was neon???

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's supposed to have quite a bit of story, so it's not just atmosphere and trucking.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, that one looks interesting too... but given the warnings below, I'll probably hold off on that one. Actually... I think Jesse Cox or Dodger did a longplay of that. I might check that one out.

While the criticisms are fair - I did get stuck a fair bit - the game does have a fairly robust hint system where clicking to the side of the writing prompt brings up a list of relevant questions or answers you can use and there's an option to enable subtitles with important phrases marked.

The game does a couple of cool things - the killer is randomly chosen each playthrough which changes some dialogue so you can deduce who it was and there are multiple endings for patients and yourself so there's a bit of reactivity to what approach you take.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finished Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth clocking in at about 4 and a half hours with 94% map completion. Great game, but definitely on the shorter side if length is a concern.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Yeah, Cloudpunk is a story game first and foremost:
You're a delivery driver trying to get by in a strange futuristic city you've just arrived in. The assignments you're given send you off to meet some odd characters who are thriving or not in the megalopolis. Maybe you'll have to make some decisions about which deliveries it might be best not to do? Your hovercar AI will help you out with his thoughts on events, although his advice is biased as he currently has the personality of your pet dog (who's a good car?). Maybe one day you'll save up enough to get him a dog chassis again. There's a fair amount of meditation on cyberpunk themes in the story, particularly around AI.

It's also one of those 'experience' games you play to soak in the vibes. The low-poly neon, rainswept aesthetic is strong and there's nothing really stopping you from just wandering/driving around, checking out the vistas. Heck, maybe you'll stumble on a interesting character in an alley or a good noodle stand.

Very chill experience.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did they ever do anything about the cloud punk voice acting being godawful? And the skip button was weird, it would always just jump to the next line even if the dialogue box wasn’t full yet, instead of just doing the usual thing of filling the dialogue box on a first press and skipping on the second. Which sucked when you liked the story but hated the VA.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

TMMadman posted:

You know, I just realized that it's pretty funny when Steam asks me if I want to recommend a game I have 'played' for 2100+ hours (EU4). Although to be fair, I have often let the game sit paused in the background for days at a time while playing a bit here and there.

I don't really bother with the recommendations and stuff, but you'd think that after a certain threshold of hours that steam would just assume you'd recommend a game.

I think it's the other way round, Steam is basically asking why you haven't recommended it given that you played it so much. I mean, they can't auto-recommend it for you because that would be a pretty massive manipulation of the review system.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

GhostDog posted:

I think it's the other way round, Steam is basically asking why you haven't recommended it given that you played it so much.
It is, yeah. Steam will periodically remind you to review games you clearly played and liked a lot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just started (and finished) "Her Story" today, and it was pretty interesting, and it got me wondering about other similar games. How is Contradiction: Spot the Liar? It's currently on sale at the moment.

Very solid and a really interesting FMV game made on a budget of like $4000. I actually just played it for the first time despite owning it for almost a decade, a few weeks ago, and really liked it. They also just did a big UI overhaul/update a few weeks prior to that which reminded me to play it. There's not really much puzzles or anything, it's a lot of talking to people and then selecting things they said that contradict each other to open up another plot point and then taking that to other people.

It was clearly pretty rushed and ends... semi cliff-hangerishly because they didnt have the money to fully realize all the plot lines. Hopefully with the latest March 2021 Major Update that came out of nowhere + going on sale and giving it more attention, that means Contradiction 2 may be in the works.

not sure why else they would do a big UI update on it 10 years later after neglecting even putting it on sale for so long but I really hope so. It was a very unique game and would love a follow-up

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 1, 2021

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I just fired up Disco Elysium to check out the voice acting and my god it's so good. I've already played through it 3 times so I don't feel like doing another one right now but I also kinda want to because just listening to the voices is so enjoyable. It also looks better on my big 4K screen. It's fine on a laptop but I can definitely appreciate all the detail and how much effort they've put into the environments. And even after 3 playthoughs the writing in the game still kinda blows my mind.

Anyone remember this banger of a trailer that was put out before the release? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVzFjna00Y

"roleplaying adventure of a lifetime" indeed

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 1, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I bought Disco Elysium on sale over Christmas but delayed starting it when I heard this update was coming. I'm guessing it would be better played at my PC on mouse and keyboard than streamed to my TV using a controller? Both screens are 4K

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Controller support is new, so who knows. It's a bit text heavy, which seems bad for couch playing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

rt4 posted:

Controller support is new, so who knows. It's a bit text heavy, which seems bad for couch playing.

The Final Cut's full voice acting does alleviate this somewhat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The console threads say that the controller inputs aren't great, so I wouldn't try that as your first choice.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've played with a controller for about 40 minutes and it's perfectly fine. There's a tiny bit of wonkiness but definitely not something that would prevent you from playing normally.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I just fired up Disco Elysium to check out the voice acting and my god it's so good. I've already played through it 3 times so I don't feel like doing another one right now but I also kinda want to because just listening to the voices is so enjoyable. It also looks better on my big 4K screen. It's fine on a laptop but I can definitely appreciate all the detail and how much effort they've put into the environments. And even after 3 playthoughs the writing in the game still kinda blows my mind.

Anyone remember this banger of a trailer that was put out before the release? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVzFjna00Y

"roleplaying adventure of a lifetime" indeed

I can't think of a single game that could approach the level of "role-playing" in such a distinct and unique way. I only played 6/2/2/2 but from everything I could tell from context playing 2/2/2/6 would be almost an entirely different experience, and that's not even taking into account the sad cop/disco cop/apocalypse cop dynamic.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did they ever do anything about the cloud punk voice acting being godawful? And the skip button was weird, it would always just jump to the next line even if the dialogue box wasn’t full yet, instead of just doing the usual thing of filling the dialogue box on a first press and skipping on the second. Which sucked when you liked the story but hated the VA.

Yeah from watching some clips it didn't sound great from what little I've heard, but from quick googling you can turn the VA volume down and just read the text.

Edit: but I guess your second point about dialogue skipping may screw that up as well

Edit2: and it seems the music/fx lowers during dialogue even if VA volume is turned to 0. Ya just can't win

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 1, 2021

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Quote not edit

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/BlasphemousGame/status/1377553825213517828

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
what does this mean? they are removing a game i got in 2018 three years later?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Read the explanation you got a stolen key

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

err posted:

what does this mean? they are removing a game i got in 2018 three years later?

Whoever you bought the key from almost certainly got it in some fraudulent manner. Do you remember who you bought it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Whoever you bought the key from almost certainly got it in some fraudulent manner. Do you remember who you bought it from?

I had the same thing happen. It was from Fanatical. Aren't they legit?