Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Does Jose fit into the same Frankenstein theming as the rest of Igor And Pals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really feel like Ann's rank 10 expects you to have romanced her.

I really like the stuff in the palace. I wish Akechi and Kasumi were around more in the regular game because they're probably my favorite party members.

Funky Valentine posted:

Does Jose fit into the same Frankenstein theming as the rest of Igor And Pals?

Not that I know of, at least.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Jose is outside of the normal human/Velvet Room paradigm, he's something... else.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Arist posted:

I think Jose is outside of the normal human/Velvet Room paradigm, he's something... else.

He’s a good egg that’s what he is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Other potentially available Velvet Attendant names: Victor (obviously), Felix (Morgana?), Alphonse, Moritz, Beaufort, Henry (??, really doesn't have the right aesthetic, IMO), Walton

Of them, I think Alphonse is my favorite for a potential male Attendant, and I guess Beaufort for a female one???

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about Frank? :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Igor's new helpers, Abbott and Costello.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Brooks and Wilder.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

PMush Perfect posted:

Other potentially available Velvet Attendant names: Victor (obviously), Felix (Morgana?), Alphonse, Moritz, Beaufort, Henry (??, really doesn't have the right aesthetic, IMO), Walton

Of them, I think Alphonse is my favorite for a potential male Attendant, and I guess Beaufort for a female one???
Victor's already running the Gouma-Den:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I finally saw the end of Kasumi’s SL last night. Just as I expected, I felt truly awful having to turn her down. She’s the only one who explicitly comes out and says “I Love You”, and honestly having a guide to the “right” answers to her questions through the entire thing really made me feel like I was leading her on. This is not the game’s fault though, it’s a consequence of how I chose to play the game. But still, she took it surprisingly well. I do sort of wish there was a way in these conversations for you or the other person to acknowledge that you’re already in a relationship. Of course that’s a consequence of the game never really acknowledging your relationships in story scenes. You’d think that once you start dating Makoto someone would figure it out pretty quick.

Of course I also watched the romance scene just to get the award and while it was really cute it still bugs me that your only romance options in this game are “literally never kissed a boy” and “literally in her thirties”

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PMush Perfect posted:

More than any other confidant/social link in Persona (and there are several that qualify for this) it's amazing on the surface, but entirely undermined and ruined by romancing her.

Would prefer a fishing plotline

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Would prefer a fishing plotline
Persona 4 does have the Death S. Link, which kind of counts?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

DC Murderverse posted:

I finally saw the end of Kasumi’s SL last night. Just as I expected, I felt truly awful having to turn her down. She’s the only one who explicitly comes out and says “I Love You”, and honestly having a guide to the “right” answers to her questions through the entire thing really made me feel like I was leading her on. This is not the game’s fault though, it’s a consequence of how I chose to play the game. But still, she took it surprisingly well. I do sort of wish there was a way in these conversations for you or the other person to acknowledge that you’re already in a relationship. Of course that’s a consequence of the game never really acknowledging your relationships in story scenes. You’d think that once you start dating Makoto someone would figure it out pretty quick.

Of course I also watched the romance scene just to get the award and while it was really cute it still bugs me that your only romance options in this game are “literally never kissed a boy” and “literally in her thirties”

Not that it entirely helps but I'm pretty sure Chihaya is meant to be like, 20/21. If we're being pedantic. It is extremely sucky though that yeah, you either get people who have never had romance amongst your age (which is a bit silly although makes sense contextually with each of the characters) or people who are adults (at various ages between 20 and 35 probably).

Also yeah the option to say you're already in a relationship would be quite nice, or general acknowledgement of social link progress, but that becomes a massive undertaking.

Edit: On second thought, Chihaya has literally never kissed a boy so it still counts.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 1, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

I died when this happened

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

More than any other confidant/social link in Persona (and there are several that qualify for this) it's amazing on the surface, but entirely undermined and ruined by romancing her.

So much about it makes me feel uneasy. don’t get me wrong I love being able to help her get out of the crap she is in, but as stated above the fact she’s a romance option to a freaking teen and that she still wears the outfit and crap still after the story is resolved is ugh. What’s worse is she has one of the best benefits from advancing her track (the massage that reclaims your nights) so many times I have to hire her so I can stay on track.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

It is extremely sucky though that yeah, you either get people who have never had romance amongst your age (which is a bit silly although makes sense contextually with each of the characters)

It’s very devious. You can ask “why are all of these young women so similar in this aspect?” and get a response that cites each of their individual stories and is well justified in-game, but the real question is “why did the writers make it that way?” I would imagine that for much of the target audience who cares deeply about this, that sort of innocence is a positive trait. it’s not just “they’ve never been in love” or kissed or whatever, they all just have completely never had friends of the opposite gender, and barely have friends at all generally. So it makes perfect sense for them to inevitably fall for the first guy who treats them like a human being. But when you stack all of them atop each other it feels weird and says something about either the creators or the audience, probably both.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get what you're saying but I mean, Futaba/Kasumi are 16-ish, Hifumi/Ann are 17-ish, and Makoto/Haru are 18-ish. It's not THAT weird none of them have dated before.

P5 is ostensibly about outcasts raging against the establishment, so none of your party members really having friends or relationship experience checks out there too, I think. I do think Hashino has weird opinions on relationships and all, but since P3/P4 weren't like that I don't think it's deeply sinister or anything.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 1, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s very devious. You can ask “why are all of these young women so similar in this aspect?” and get a response that cites each of their individual stories and is well justified in-game, but the real question is “why did the writers make it that way?” I would imagine that for much of the target audience who cares deeply about this, that sort of innocence is a positive trait. it’s not just “they’ve never been in love” or kissed or whatever, they all just have completely never had friends of the opposite gender, and barely have friends at all generally. So it makes perfect sense for them to inevitably fall for the first guy who treats them like a human being. But when you stack all of them atop each other it feels weird and says something about either the creators or the audience, probably both.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's actually not uncommon for Japanese teenagers to not really socialize much outside other students of their gender. That someone like Makoto or Haru haven't had male friends before, in that context, is pretty reasonable.

I definitely understand what you're saying, though, and why it sticks out. Someone else might be able to correct me here but I think this might seem more normal to a Japanese audience than a western one. That said it's not like nobody ever hangs out with students of other genders so you'd think a cast of general outcasts might have someone who's more comfortable with having opposite gender friends or dating or anything like that. Where's our cool delinquent girl?

Acerbatus posted:

I do think Hashino has weird opinions on relationships and all

See also: Persona 3 male route's social links

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 1, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean Ann doesn't exactly seem uncomfortable, she's fine sleeping in a room with Mishima, Joker and Ryuji. She just hasn't dated before. :shrug:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Maybe it’s a cultural thing. When I was in high school even the most outcast-y of outcasts were just as likely to have a male or female friend. Although I suppose even what an “outcast” is differs pretty significantly between the US and Japan.

I’ve occasionally wondered about what a Persona set in the US would look like and honestly the difference that I think would be most notable in a hypothetical Persona USA is that it would have way more drugs in it. I know that’s a specific cultural difference; one of the “fun” things about Japan building a democracy in the 1950s specifically inspired by and partially created by the United States is that they internalized all of the rabid anti-drug messaging at face value without any of the racialized subtext that it was made with here. So “ah yes our young pure (read: white) sons and daughters are at risk of being corrupted by ‘marijuana’ (read: black and Mexican people)” just becomes “our sons and daughters are at risk of being corrupted by marijuana.” So where a game about high school outcasts fighting against corrupt adults and society in the US would almost definitely feature drug use (and its cousin, underage drinking), the one we have from Japan mentions drugs as a strictly criminal, villainous activity that is hurting the youths in their city. On multiple occasions the main characters say “well there’s no way we could drink alcohol, we’re minors!” with a straight face, which in a US-set game would be followed by a pause and raucous laughter as each of the teens explains that they’ve got a relative or friend that they could absolutely score booze from, no problem.

I think it’s really hilarious that the only drug use that’s actually relevant to P5 is a shady doctor selling high schoolers prescription “study-aids”, which is probably way worse than just letting the teens smoke some weed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Shujin's also a bit of a cesspool, who would Ann even want to date? Mishima, the loser? Ryuji, her childhood friend that just kinda gawks at her chest every now and then? All the other losers that just gossip about her?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ann and ryuji weren't even childhood friends, they just knew each other back then. they didn't get close until the kamoshida incident

easy to see why the blue-eyed blonde might have been a little socially isolated

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ApplesandOranges posted:

Shujin's also a bit of a cesspool, who would Ann even want to date? Mishima, the loser? Ryuji, her childhood friend that just kinda gawks at her chest every now and then? All the other losers that just gossip about her?

Ann out of all of them probably has the most opportunity to meet BFOS as a part-time model. Sure they might be dumb as bricks (I have to imagine that’s a universal male model stereotype) but they’re probably pretty cute.

(Real answer: Shiho)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think in this day and age, 'probably dumb as bricks' may even add to the cute factor.

But yeah, her only real option til Joker came along was Shiho.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Maybe it’s a cultural thing. When I was in high school even the most outcast-y of outcasts were just as likely to have a male or female friend. Although I suppose even what an “outcast” is differs pretty significantly between the US and Japan.

I’ve occasionally wondered about what a Persona set in the US would look like and honestly the difference that I think would be most notable in a hypothetical Persona USA is that it would have way more drugs in it. I know that’s a specific cultural difference; one of the “fun” things about Japan building a democracy in the 1950s specifically inspired by and partially created by the United States is that they internalized all of the rabid anti-drug messaging at face value without any of the racialized subtext that it was made with here. So “ah yes our young pure (read: white) sons and daughters are at risk of being corrupted by ‘marijuana’ (read: black and Mexican people)” just becomes “our sons and daughters are at risk of being corrupted by marijuana.” So where a game about high school outcasts fighting against corrupt adults and society in the US would almost definitely feature drug use (and its cousin, underage drinking), the one we have from Japan mentions drugs as a strictly criminal, villainous activity that is hurting the youths in their city. On multiple occasions the main characters say “well there’s no way we could drink alcohol, we’re minors!” with a straight face, which in a US-set game would be followed by a pause and raucous laughter as each of the teens explains that they’ve got a relative or friend that they could absolutely score booze from, no problem.

I think it’s really hilarious that the only drug use that’s actually relevant to P5 is a shady doctor selling high schoolers prescription “study-aids”, which is probably way worse than just letting the teens smoke some weed.

I'm pretty sure the Japanese rating board has strict rules about underage drinking and smoking, which is probably part of why those aren't depicted. The other part is that the Phantom Thieves are squares and not particularly rebellious in practice.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm pretty sure the Japanese rating board has strict rules about underage drinking and smoking, which is probably part of why those aren't depicted. The other part is that the Phantom Thieves are squares and not particularly rebellious in practice.

The Phantom Thieves are rebels the same way that say, a Super Hero is a rebel. Technically speaking Vigilanteism is illegal (depending on what form it takes) and the Phantom Thieves believe strongly in bringing evil to justice, even if that evil is systematic evil.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just starting the Futaba Palace infiltration, and I'm starting to do a 180 on Ryuji, who's been acting more and more like an idiot.

I hope he improves later on, because constantly talking loudly about the Phantom Thieves in public and activating the app inside the Sakura residence isn't making a good case for him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WrightOfWay posted:

The Strikers scene where they talk about "nothing better than celebrating with some great soda" was particularly hilarious

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

DC Murderverse posted:

(Real answer: Shido)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

anakha posted:

Just starting the Futaba Palace infiltration, and I'm starting to do a 180 on Ryuji, who's been acting more and more like an idiot.

I hope he improves later on, because constantly talking loudly about the Phantom Thieves in public and activating the app inside the Sakura residence isn't making a good case for him.

At certain times you have to remember that many of the bro characters (see: Ryuji, Yosuke, Junpei) are not only idiot teenagers, but also serve as the narrative drivers because it needs someone to do the stupid things and ask the dumb questions to move the plot along, and unfortunately the 'best friend with a heart of gold and a brain to mouth filter of tissue paper' is the narrative dancing monkey.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I respect Ryuji as the only one who's not a total coward about being a Phantom Thief.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If Morgana could talk to regular people you bet your rear end he'd be out there bragging about his exploits too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Morgana could talk to normal people Ann would have skinned him after the 50th time of him swooning over 'Lady Ann'.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

Ryuji is a dumbass but he has a good heart. Also he has one of the better confidant stories of the Phantom Thieves, if you haven't done his yet.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally got past New Years in my second playthrough of Royal. I had forgotten just how refreshing/fun it was to have Akechi drop the act and be the monster that he really is.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

anakha posted:

It's another consequence of the writing quality in the S. Link not matching up to that person's characterization in the main story. The way I try to parse it is that Ryuji's a great bro, but a terrible Phantom Thief.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ehhhh, I think he’s multi-faceted enough for both aspects to be truthful. A lot of the good stuff in his s-link doesn’t contradict his stuff as a Phantom Thief, him being kinda dumb remains even if he makes smart interpersonal moves in his s-link.

But also yeah it’s absolutely they need him to be dumb to push forward narratives and they cannot assume any completion of s-links (partially because doing so would be a game design logistical nightmare).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The dynamic for the party through the first third of the game is a lot of fun and very different because until you get Makoto it’s just a bunch of dummies running around with more passion than sense. Obviously they would have been shot in the heads if they tried to deal with organized criminals like Kaneshiro like they did the first two but the enthusiasm is through the roof.

edit: Joker is a dummy until he hits at least level 2 of his Social Stats, Morgana is a dummy who has one relevant area of expertise and Yusuke is a dummy because talent =\= intelligence

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oh, hey, Yusuke's hanging out in the cafe. Lemme go grab an Emperor persona real quick and save my game...

What? I can't go back in the cafe unless it's for a meeting?

gently caress you game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

anakha posted:

Oh, hey, Yusuke's hanging out in the cafe. Lemme go grab an Emperor persona real quick and save my game...

What? I can't go back in the cafe unless it's for a meeting?

gently caress you game.

Yeah I had to reload for that during my last P5R playthrough too. :sigh: