Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

It hasn't crashed yet. The New York Attorney General ordered them to issue a full audit of their reserves and they haven't done that yet. They hired a company in the Cayman Islands that did an attestation on their total assets. That report doesn't specify how much liquid USD they have. In fact the total assets would include bitcoin purchased with fraudulently printed Tether so the attestation is useless.

They are based in the Bahamas, which releases reports on total banking reserves. There has not been enough USD imported into the entire Bahamian banking system in the last year to match what Tether is printing. It's completely impossible they have 1:1 backing.

The thing is, they already admitted this in April 2019 when they said Tether is only 74% backed by USD. There was no crash when they released that information. I believe the NYAG audit deadline is in late May. Let's say that happens and it turns out Tether is 55% backed by USD. Will that information cause a crash when the revelation of 74% backing didn't? I don't know.
the audit is underway, but the report will be kept secret for 10 years and then delivered by a bonded courier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

salt shakeup posted:

It's more like 100 trillion now. And no, there was never a crash. In fact we've reached an All Time High every month for the past 4 months. If these trends continue.. .. ay!

Cheers.

$100 trillion is more money than exists on earth.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Like, I have to emphasise this: $100 trillion is more money than actually exists in any sort of real form on this planet, including all digital ledgers. If salt shakeup is correct, there is no ability for the world to actually realise the "valuation" that Bitcoin has, so we have now hit the point where a very hard crash is mathematically the only way this can possibly end. This is why all of the vultures have started to circle; they know their connections and power will let them be the ones to extract that value while it still exists, before they destroy it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

Why would you want crypto back though?

how else can you sell low and buy high?

The thing is the technicals support further moves up even if the fundamentals scream hard no. So up we go

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 1, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Isn't it known how many bitcoins are out there and by the valuation it's just over $1 trillion, where's the 100 come from? All the other coins combined can't make up the difference can they?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

priznat posted:

Isn't it known how many bitcoins are out there and by the valuation it's just over $1 trillion, where's the 100 come from? All the other coins combined can't make up the difference can they?
I believe the goon made up a very large number, it was just on the edge of plausible because, you know, Tether is insane. Frankly I don't even remember how it works other than being some kind of quantitative easing for butts.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

According to coindesk Tether's market cap (which should be their reserves if they're telling the truth (lmao)) is $42B

https://www.coindesk.com/price/tether

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The thing is, they already admitted this in April 2019 when they said Tether is only 74% backed by USD. There was no crash when they released that information. I believe the NYAG audit deadline is in late May. Let's say that happens and it turns out Tether is 55% backed by USD. Will that information cause a crash when the revelation of 74% backing didn't? I don't know.

IIRC it's the middle of May BUT the settlement also gives them room to gently caress around beyond that. so they could drag it on well into the summer if they want to.

re: amount of tether printed: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/tether/ - change it to "market cap". Since the supposed value of a tether is 1 USD, the number in dollars gives you approximately the number of tethers printed. Obviously that will stop working if the happening happens.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

IIRC it's the middle of May BUT the settlement also gives them room to gently caress around beyond that. so they could drag it on well into the summer if they want to.

re: amount of tether printed: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/tether/ - change it to "market cap". Since the supposed value of a tether is 1 USD, the number in dollars gives you approximately the number of tethers printed. Obviously that will stop working if the happening happens.

this also lets you marvel at how the graph of "lying over time" resembles an exponential function. there's probably an economic law about it, that someone cleverer than me would know about.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Somfin posted:

Like, I have to emphasise this: $100 trillion is more money than actually exists in any sort of real form on this planet, including all digital ledgers. If salt shakeup is correct, there is no ability for the world to actually realise the "valuation" that Bitcoin has, so we have now hit the point where a very hard crash is mathematically the only way this can possibly end. This is why all of the vultures have started to circle; they know their connections and power will let them be the ones to extract that value while it still exists, before they destroy it.

Not like any part of the economy makes sense or is real anymore.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Flannelette posted:

Not like any part of the economy makes sense or is real anymore.

You're not wrong.

But today I found out the estimate for total money tops out at a bit above 80 trillion.

And that caps the price of crypto real nice.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Party Boat posted:

According to coindesk Tether's market cap (which should be their reserves if they're telling the truth (lmao)) is $42B

https://www.coindesk.com/price/tether

Yeah, tether is very clearly a scam and will eventually crumble, but at this point there is enough actual USD in the crypto ecosystem that tether's collapse won't cause a complete crypto collapse. The thing that will cause the next crash will be the same thing that caused the current high prices: hype and momentum. When that will happen, who knows. poo poo, Gamestop stock is still at $189 today.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

FYI, the NY AG settlement agreement makes no mention of an audit requirement. They are requiring Tether to provide certain financial information, but I do not believe that they stipulated a full audit.

Requirements (or lack thereof) aside, Tether is never, ever going to get a full-fledged honest-to-god financial statement audit, for a variety of reasons in addition to problems with their reserve. No stablecoin issuer is, because drafting and auditing GAAP or IFRS-compliant financial statements would force them to reckon with the fact that the legal arrangements behind stablecoins are either unenforceable bullshit or in violation of American securities laws.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
BUYING BITCOIN (aka HODLING) is NOT a good idea. I’ve tried it (back in the day) and it was WORSE than anything that happened to HUNTER BIDEN. I “bought in” with some buddies in Kentucky and woke up 4 days later in Nairobi, Kenya. With no idea what happened. DON’T BUY BITCOIN.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, tether is very clearly a scam and will eventually crumble, but at this point there is enough actual USD in the crypto ecosystem that tether's collapse won't cause a complete crypto collapse. The thing that will cause the next crash will be the same thing that caused the current high prices: hype and momentum. When that will happen, who knows. poo poo, Gamestop stock is still at $189 today.

One of my friends has cashed out $17000 from gamestop, mostly day trading while working in an abusive environment for barely more than minimum wage. He still has like 5k in or something but extracted the lion's share.

Dumb, and hilarious. Good on him for not telling me until after, too, since I would have strongly discouraged this.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

LOL!

https://www.wildbrain.com/newsreleases/teletubbies-launch-new-cryptocurrency-tubbycoin/

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Good lord, Teletubbies is dunking on nocoiners at this point. You're some real cus-tards. :rimshot:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
NARRATOR: where have my tubbycoins gone?!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Last time I was in this thread more than a year ago tether coins were all the rage and millions in "very real" currency was being injected into them to prop up bitcoin prices. Is that still a thing? Did a huge crash happy when people realised it's just some dude saying "I totally have 300 million in the bank, trust me"

Tether proved their current reserves were backed for a minute by getting a second rate accountancy firm to do, not an audit, but an attestation. And all the backing isn't in cash, it's in myriad forms including "digital assets".

Is Tether required to show the results of a full audit to the public anytime soon? I'm not aware of the full requirements of their settlement.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 1, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Ccs posted:

Tether proved their current reserves were backed for a minute by getting a second rate accountancy firm to do, not an audit, but an attestation. And all the backing isn't in cash, it's in myriad forms including "digital assets".
They didn't actually prove that, all they demonstrated was that Tether handed Moore a list of assets and their supposed value, and a list of liabilities and their amounts, and Moore said "yep assets total up to a number greater than liabilities." They didn't test whether Tether actually owned those assets and had full rights to them, they didn't search for any unreported liabilities, and they didn't test whether or not Tether was valuing those assets right. In fact, if you look at the "emphasis of matter" section of Moore's report, they're trying to tell us that they likely didn't value those assets right, as Tether opted for an unusual (and non-GAAP/non-IFRS) accounting "policy" regarding how they value their assets, and if they'd valued them correctly under a commonly-accepted basis of accounting, that attestation report might have reached a different conclusion.

Ccs posted:

Is Tether required to show the results of a full audit to the public anytime soon? I'm not aware of the full requirements of their settlement.

Blotto_Otter posted:

FYI, the NY AG settlement agreement makes no mention of an audit requirement. They are requiring Tether to provide certain financial information, but I do not believe that they stipulated a full audit.

Requirements (or lack thereof) aside, Tether is never, ever going to get a full-fledged honest-to-god financial statement audit, for a variety of reasons in addition to problems with their reserve. No stablecoin issuer is, because drafting and auditing GAAP or IFRS-compliant financial statements would force them to reckon with the fact that the legal arrangements behind stablecoins are either unenforceable bullshit or in violation of American securities laws.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm failing to understand why people are still joining the pile-up of getting owned by Teletubbies

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

The sun baby but instead of laughing and smiling it's animatedly trying to convince you to get into Tubbycoin the second any part of its head is above the horizon

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

what the gently caress is a tella tubby and why does some dipshit think that an april fool's joke poking fun at the crypto craze is "owning the nocoiners"

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Vinesauce Vinny play with teletubbies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONl8TSlzV5U

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also im getting flash backs yet again to the epic chuck e cheese token vs bitcoin practicality argument ITT

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

xtal posted:

I'm failing to understand

Yes.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
teletubbies are dunking on someone there for sure

but it's not nocoiners

perhaps some people have such vast crypto riches they doth forget what day it is

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
1617249600? So what?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A recently hired manager at my workplace has started selling NFTs and scheduled a meeting today to pitch the concept to us and show us the SNL NFT sketch. A half hour pitch and then “discussion” about the power of NFTs for another half hour. Everyone was required to attend the meeting, even the ceo and upper management. A few people raised the environment issue but were assured they would be solved soon.

We were told we could bill this time as overhead so basically a few hundred people wasted an hour of company time, adding up to at least $10,000 of labor cost, to hear this pitch that circuitously benefits one person.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
What in god's name does your company do. I've always found it a bit amusing that the very successful software company I've been working at for 11 years has exactly zero bitcoin advocates.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

xtal posted:

1617249600? So what?
Hey buddy can you get me some buckets of prop wash to soothe the pain of nocoinerism?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I've been busy trying so I haven't had time to process NFTs, but I am getting around to it...

Is my understanding correctly, that it is basically a blockchain receipt from a digital gallery that you "own" the right to display, but not actually possess the actual copyright to a file that is capable of being exactly reproduced an unlimited number of times without relieving it's provenience, like the actual ultra-high end art market is absolutely full of forgeries, scams and why photographs dictate a much smaller market than sculptures and paintings?

Like, literally the only difference between me making a copy of a Beeple file and displaying it in my home and the person that paid money for it is some pedantic nerd will argue with me that while it is completely identical in every way, I don't have the receipt?

That doesn't make sense, at least in the case of artificial scarcity of art, the original negatives and molds are destroyed? Literally no one is like "Well, I actually subscribed to Brazzers to download this video, I didn't get it off some piracy site, I can show you the receipt! :smug: " Like even in digital "art", there has always been some nominal DRM/actionable copyright mechanism and even then people didn't even really care if they had an easy way to bypass it.

This is somehow ever incredibly dumber than Bitcoin if I understand it correctly, which I believe I do.

I feel like this is like getting into some sort of argument with someone I printed a photo for on if it was printed in Genuine HP Photo Archival Ink TM.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 2, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Three Olives posted:

I've been busy trying so I haven't had time to process NFTs, but I am getting around to it...

Is my understanding correctly, that it is basically a blockchain receipt from a digital gallery that you "own" the right to display, but not actually possess the actual copyright to a file that is capable of being exactly reproduced an unlimited number of times without relieving it's provenience, like the actual ultra-high end art market is absolutely full of forgeries, scams and why photographs dictate a much smaller market than sculptures and paintings?

Like, literally the only difference between me making a copy of a Beeple file and displaying it in my home and the person that paid money for it is some pedantic nerd will argue with me that while it is completely identical in every way, I don't have the receipt?

That doesn't make sense, at least in the case of artificial scarcity of art, the original negatives and molds are destroyed? Literally no one is like "Well, I actually subscribed to Brazzers to download this video, I didn't get it off some piracy site, I can show you the receipt! :smug: " Like even in digital "art", there has always been some nominal DRM/actionable copyright mechanism and even then people didn't even really care if they had an easy way to bypass it.

This is somehow ever incredibly dumber than Bitcoin if I understand it correctly, which I believe I do.

More or less. I guess the most charitable take would be it's like a receipt for a donation you made to support a given piece of content. But then there is a market for selling donation receipts, I guess? Until it implodes once the weaponized stupidity catches up with "the NFT market."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

More or less. I guess the most charitable take would be it's like a receipt for a donation you made to support a given piece of content. But then there is a market for selling donation receipts, I guess? Until it implodes once the weaponized stupidity catches up with "the NFT market."
The impression I got is that the idea, ultimately, was like you have a certificate on some cockchain or other saying "The owner of this certificate is the legal owner of hello.jpg," despite the fact that you can make infinite copies of hello.jpg. You could, perhaps, analogize this to fine art etc. because while you could have a super-high-resolution photo of the Mona Lisa, or even a 3D scan that would catch all kinds of subtle details, someone has to have possession of the ACTUAL painting.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So basically this is the feeling about pirating the Brazzers video of your favorite sex worker instead of their OnlyFans content, if the OnlyFans content wasn't much more difficult to pirate because of market interest in piracy.

Nessus posted:

The impression I got is that the idea, ultimately, was like you have a certificate on some cockchain or other saying "The owner of this certificate is the legal owner of hello.jpg," despite the fact that you can make infinite copies of hello.jpg. You could, perhaps, analogize this to fine art etc. because while you could have a super-high-resolution photo of the Mona Lisa, or even a 3D scan that would catch all kinds of subtle details, someone has to have possession of the ACTUAL painting.

But there still is an actual painting, actual reproductions of art have always commanded much less value, again, that's why the high-end fine art photography market is much, such, much smaller than the market for painting and sculpture.

There is no actual painting, there is just the receipt. No one has ever come into my home and demanded to see the receipt if I insane enough to have an actual Dyson fan and not a knockoff because I am trying to fan flex, that is clearly crazy. Donald Trump was elected president and there are multiple cases of him lying about passing off reproductions or counterfeit goods as originals.

Vanity Fair posted:

Years ago, while reporting a book about a real-estate developer and reality-TV star named Donald Trump, Tim O’Brien accompanied his subject on a private jet ride to Los Angeles. The plane, as you can imagine, was overly ornate; hanging on one wall, for instance, was a painting of two young girls—one in an orange hat, the other wearing a floral bonnet—in the impressionistic style of Renoir.

Curious, O’Brien asked Trump about the painting: was it an original Renoir? Trump replied in the affirmative. It was, he said. “No, it’s not Donald,” O’Brien responded. But, once again, Trump protested that it was.

“Donald, it’s not,” O’Brien said adamantly. “I grew up in Chicago, that Renoir is called Two Sisters on the Terrace, and it’s hanging on a wall at the Art Institute of Chicago.” He concluded emphatically: “That’s not an original.”

Trump, of course, did not agree, but O’Brien dropped the conversation topic and moved on with his interview. He thought that he had heard the last of the Renoir conversation. But the next day, when they boarded the plane to head back to New York City, Trump again pointed to the painting, and as if the conversation had never happened, he pointed to the fake and proclaimed, “You know, that’s an original Renoir.” O’Brien chose not to engage, and dropped the conversation.

Years went by. O’Brien wrote an explosive book, titled TrumpNation: The Art of Being the Donald, which noted that Trump was not actually a multi-billionaire, but rather worth about $150 to $250 million. Trump didn’t like being labeled a measly millionaire, so he sued O’Brien for “malice,” and lost. More time went on, Trump sold the jet, and traded-up to a larger plane; O’Brien assumed that the fake Renoir had been tossed into a bonfire, or at least a proverbial one. And that was the end of the story.

Then, in 2016, the unimaginable happened: Trump was elected president of the United States. A few days afterward, Trump sat down with 60 Minutes for one of his first interviews as president-elect. O’Brien was watching the interview, which took place in Trump Tower. It was highly choreographed, with cameras set up precisely where Trump wanted them. O’Brien watched Trump seated in an ugly mini-throne—“the kind of furniture Trump loves,” O’Brien notes—and sure enough, in the background, hanging on a wall, was that fake Renoir. “I’m sure he’s still telling people who come into the apartment, ‘It’s an original, it’s an original,’” O’Brien told me on this week’s Inside the Hive podcast.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 2, 2021

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't think that quite holds true, because anybody can make an NFT about anything. Buying an NFT is more like buying a burned DVD out of the back of a truck that the guy assures you is totally legit from your favorite entertainer.

And then you get home and the DVD only has a torrent link.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Three Olives posted:

I feel like this is like getting into some sort of argument with someone I printed a photo for on if it was printed in Genuine HP Photo Archival Ink TM.

I find it easiest to explain that NFTs are tinyurl links to someone's deviantart postings. That you pay money for.

Why anyone is buying these is a wonderful lesson in how easy people are to bullshit. South Seas Company all over again.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You also have to remember that the technical nitty-gritties are not discussed at all, the marketing is all breathless hype proclaiming this as a new dawn of ownership that because of the BLOCKCHAIN and how each token is NON FUNGIBLE and [technobabble] GET YOURS TODAY.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/new...2e84b4b206.html

quote:

The new indictment charges that Greenberg carried out a scheme to defraud the Tax Collector’s Office and Seminole County “of money and property” — using his elected position to “embezzle and divert” more than $400,000, including through purchases of digital currency.

He also used his agency’s funds to buy himself personal items, federal prosecutors allege — including memorabilia autographed by NBA legends Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.

Greenberg’s attorney, Fritz Scheller of Orlando, would only say that he was expecting federal prosecutors to file the additional charges, as those were part of the U.S. attorney’s office investigation into Greenberg.

“I wasn’t surprised by this,” he said. “These charges have been planned.”

Greenberg stole hundreds of thousands from his public office, federal authorities allege, including by using his office’s funds to buy cryptocurrency for himself and using the assets of his office to sell “cryptocurrency mining machines” to his own benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Duhh.

You need the bitcoin to pay for the sex trafficking.