Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Wait for sales and get the whole shebang for like 50-75% off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, yeah, it's a big fuckin game and the average campaign takes dozens of hours to complete. Maybe ask around on a forum about how a race/faction plays or how vital the DLC units are, instead of giving in to FOMO and insisting on experiencing everything for yourself at cost.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

I didn't know it was. What's the issue?

Click get free dlc
opens up a website
click get
game goes ???? and opens up a steam window

Like I literally cannot get a single piece because this is the most weird thing ever.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh jeez, yeah free DLC on Total War Access can be weird as gently caress.

And here you said "buying DLC"

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I also tried to buy DLC and my steam was like "??? what are you insane ???"

I would like more than the four factions. I want to have the guys Kruber from Vermintide is from...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait for a sale (or don't) and get Warhammer 1. Comes with 4 factions (including the Empire where Valiant Krubah is from), and the massive gently caress-off game mode that somewhat combines the maps from both games together into a single campaign. It'll take a while for you to suss out what you think you'll want to get next when you have 8 races and multiple factions per race to play. Also you won't need to install WH1, just own it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I also tried to buy DLC and my steam was like "??? what are you insane ???"

I would like more than the four factions. I want to have the guys Kruber from Vermintide is from...

Kruber is from the Empire. Getting that is as simple as owning both Warhammer 1 and 2 and the Mortal Empires dlc. Not really sure why you would have issues with buying dlc though. The Total War Access site sometimes used for free downloadables is a pain for sure but regular dlc has always been...regular dlc? :shrug:

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006
At least they don't hide features that are unrelated to the lords or factions in the DLC. If paradox made this game a DLC would be something like a new skaven lord, and the ability for all factions to make better trade agreements. So even if you had no interest in skaven you would want the small, but necessary extra features.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait for a sale (or don't) and get Warhammer 1. Comes with 4 factions (including the Empire where Valiant Krubah is from), and the massive gently caress-off game mode that somewhat combines the maps from both games together into a single campaign. It'll take a while for you to suss out what you think you'll want to get next when you have 8 races and multiple factions per race to play. Also you won't need to install WH1, just own it.

9 races - the Brettonnians are free in both games. And Ubersreik is literally a settlement in the Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires map.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

did anyone get a link to the big game 3 gameplay trailer they just dopped? having trouble posting it from mobile.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

did anyone get a link to the big game 3 gameplay trailer they just dopped? having trouble posting it from mobile.

The four seconds of adrenaline before the crushing despair of realizing the date should be considered a war crime.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

gently caress you

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_sGDBAvw64

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

THANKS!!!

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Sedisp posted:

The four seconds of adrenaline before the crushing despair of realizing the date should be considered a war crime.

indeed, a criminal deserving of the same calibre as the real kissinger

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ah, a long life and no consequences

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Assessor of Maat posted:

indeed, a criminal deserving of the same calibre as the real kissinger

this is spoilers for Metal Gear Flaccid V

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Sad news about WH3, sucks yo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ad090 posted:

Sad news about WH3, sucks yo.

Either this is a mean spirited April Fools joke or their PR team *sucks* for letting people think this for like 5 months now

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Either this is a mean spirited April Fools joke or their PR team *sucks* for letting people think this for like 5 months now

It's not real.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Warhammer 3 is actually going to focus exclusively on the Skaven/Vampire Counts foreverwar. Expect lots of new lords for those factions!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I can't believe CA replaced Cathay with Pontus.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Skaven removed as a faction.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Cathay, Nippon, Chaos Dwarves, no matter who you play you still end up fighting the entire Skaven roster of confederated lords every other turn

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

The base game + the sequel + all the DLC is ridiculously, grotesquely expensive. If you're the kind of player who wants to "try most of the factions and units" and not just limit yourself to a portion of the game, then you're gonna have to spend some big bucks just to see it all. Isn't it close to 300 dollars now?

why do you hate supporting the developer? are CA employees your slaves that should just make everything free for you instead of only half the content and all the updates they produce for this game? just pirate it then you cretin

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If you want more content but don't want to pay for DLC this game has infinity mods

Also, with Total War Three Kingdoms etc. already out, they would basically have stopped development on Total Warhammer if not for the DLC subsidizing continued development. Be happy we get DLC. (although yeah, wait for sales on stuff you don't NEED)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My only complaint regarding pricing is that their regional pricing scheme sorta sucks (not as much as Ubisoft and most japanese publishers', where it's more of a 'lol regional prices what's that') due to how inconsistent it is. Prices go up or down at seemingly random intervals and it's very annoying!

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
While I have no problem with CA making money on their good game, I think it's past time they bundled WH1 and it's expansions into one reasonably-priced package. It's more than $135 USD for a five-year-old game that basically no one is going to play on it's own merits. At this stage they can chop that down to $60 or even $75 for everything. Plus that would help with the third-party annoyance with getting all the DLC options.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

it's bad to not be able to just buy it all at once, and tough to figure out how to get some of the free stuff, but at least it's not as bad as the Hitman series. that poo poo is legit unbuyable.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
No one needs to buy it all at once. It is not bad. Some people are just huge consumers and need to learn not to consume.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vargs posted:

I can't believe CA replaced Cathay with Pontus.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I would say that based on content, the DLCs have been close to cheap for the cost of 10 EUR a piece once every six months or so.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can't believe a series about world conquest would have the customer practice moderation in consumption smdh

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Protagorean posted:

why do you hate supporting the developer? are CA employees your slaves that should just make everything free for you instead of only half the content and all the updates they produce for this game? just pirate it then you cretin

Hmm, yes, gently caress off

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've bought everything except for wood elves and beastmen (I like wood elves now, but don't know that I care enough to buy the faction just for mortal empires now that I've already played as sisters of twilight), and I don't begrudge them for the amount of DLC they've put out at all/hope they put out a shitload for 3 too. That said, I do think I'll probably be a bit more strict with making sure I actually play everything I buy in 3 though, since I haven't always been great about that in 2.

If I were starting from scratch today, I'd definitely try not to worry about completionism and just play what seems fun, because there's pretty much no way you're going to play everything at this point, and if you do it'll be over a long enough period of time (and you'll have demonstrated that you're invested in the game enough) for it not to be that big a deal financially.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
ive bought every single dlc and played them all and i still think the current model is bs

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Muscle Wizard posted:

ive bought every single dlc and played them all and i still think the current model is bs
Honest question: Is there a better model that you would like to see CA use/follow? I am thankfully at a point in my life that I can afford $10 or even $20 every 4-6 months for new content for a videogame I like. However, I am also in a spot that I do not play a lot of games because I have little time to research, buy, and watch ~ 4-8 hours of youtube videos to get a basic understanding of new games. Therefore I prefer to get new content for games I do know and will happily pay the cost, within reason. I think CA's model is the best on the market right now as a person who also owns a lot of Paradox games, among other things - I have started to speak with my wallet w/r/t Paradox because I think their model is BS, tying all sorts of systems that you may or may not want into a DLC that costs more than a CA DLC, all while it will come with more bugs, not fix longstanding issues with the game, and charge for QoL stuff (which, CA does not charge for QoL features, at least not lately).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Honest question: Is there a better model that you would like to see CA use/follow?

Yeah other than "I wish it was cheaper to get everything" I don't really see what you can complain about.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I have all the DLC's but I don't feel particularly good about spending all that money. It's not like I'm supporting some small developer, it's a massive 800 person company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm pretty content to pay 10 to 20 bucks every 4-6 months for content at the level of quality we're getting it. Realistically I could have afforded to pay less. I am never going to make a serious shot at Vampirates for example and I drat well know better.