Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Qubee posted:

Oh so there's no target lock in the game? I thought I was doing something wrong cause I can't even solidly hit at where they are lol, let alone where they're going to be. I'll be pointing at them then my blade hits just off to one side, it's like I gotta faff about with the perfect camera angle to hit where I'm actually intending.

Nope, no target locking. This would be a good opportunity to check out the training area (little dinghy in Buddy Plaza if you haven't been there yet) and learn the arcs of your weapon swings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Qubee posted:

Oh so there's no target lock in the game? I thought I was doing something wrong cause I can't even solidly hit at where they are lol, let alone where they're going to be. I'll be pointing at them then my blade hits just off to one side, it's like I gotta faff about with the perfect camera angle to hit where I'm actually intending.

There is an option for target lock, but you can't lock onto specific body parts if that's what you're hoping for. What weapon are you using exactly, cause it sound like you're using Great Sword and you're unintentionally adjusting your angle mid-charge and missing hits as a result.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tooling around for 30 minutes in the training room with a given weapon will contribute way more to making you a better hunter than bashing your head against monsters with pubbies

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

There is an option for target lock, but you can't lock onto specific body parts if that's what you're hoping for. What weapon are you using exactly, cause it sound like you're using Great Sword and you're unintentionally adjusting your angle mid-charge and missing hits as a result.

I'm using the Katana. I was in the training area for a good 40 minutes trying out all the weapons, I liked the Buster and Katana most and settled on glorious Nippon steel, folded over 1000 times. I had about 20 minutes learning the combos and getting a feel for it. I guess I gotta just git gud. Right now I just avoid using overhead strikes and thrusts, and instead use the sweeping attacks.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Diablos was a dream fight for my lance in world and a nightmare opponent for my friends bow. It's just like... big dumb monster who only does physical attacks? Sure!

Bazelgeuse was a loving lancers nightmare and my bow friend just ruined it's day every time.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Qubee posted:

I'm using the Katana. I was in the training area for a good 40 minutes trying out all the weapons, I liked the Buster and Katana most and settled on glorious Nippon steel, folded over 1000 times. I had about 20 minutes learning the combos and getting a feel for it. I guess I gotta just git gud. Right now I just avoid using overhead strikes and thrusts, and instead use the sweeping attacks.

Sounds like you just need to learn better directional precision with the analog stick. I would suggest going to the training area and practice hitting the same spot on the dummy with the overheads/thrusts until you got a good feel for it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
in six hours I went from being barely able to play monster hunter to getting to rank 2, fighting a rathian without getting carted, and no-hit soloing some of the starter monsters

game's good

I'm still bad but I'm having a lot of fun, and longsword finally clicked for me so now I'm a menace to myself and everyone nearby

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

I vaguely remember capturing being better than carving for rewards in 4U for some reason so I've been defaulting to doing that in rise as well. Is that still the way to go or should I start carving instead?

From several pages ago but it seems that capturing is back to the old games in that you only get 2 guaranteed rewards with a chance for a third. That was ~69% in the old games. The way the math worked out was that even if drops on capture rewards were just 1% better than carves then it was slightly better to capture if you wanted that specific part.

Most rare drops were about 1% better when capturing in the older games. However in Rise it looks like rates for plates in LR are 3% for both carve and capture. So carving wins out since its 3 guaranteed carves vs 2.69 for capturing.

Now as its been said, other parts can only be gotten via carving or capturing so you'll need to check those. Also capturing ends the hunt earlier so that factors in too.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Got the third CB switch move and while I can see how it will feature heavily in high-level highlight clips, I cannot part with my super counter. And you guys were not kidding about level 3 Evade Extender, it is either as far or very nearly as far as a wire zip.

Genuine question: has there ever been a loot game with what people consider a "good" endgame? I feel like every game of this type comes with the caveat of complaining about the post-game grind. I remember friends bitching about it in school back in the days of Diablo 2 even.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Crowetron posted:

Got the third CB switch move and while I can see how it will feature heavily in high-level highlight clips, I cannot part with my super counter. And you guys were not kidding about level 3 Evade Extender, it is either as far or very nearly as far as a wire zip.

Genuine question: has there ever been a loot game with what people consider a "good" endgame? I feel like every game of this type comes with the caveat of complaining about the post-game grind. I remember friends bitching about it in school back in the days of Diablo 2 even.

No because there is never enough game for these people. It's such a stupid argument.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Tooling around for 30 minutes in the training room with a given weapon will contribute way more to making you a better hunter than bashing your head against monsters with pubbies

Honestly playing with other people has never been a good way to get better at the game. The monster AI bouncing between players makes it a lot harder to learn a monster’s moveset and how to best deal with them.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Honestly playing with other people has never been a good way to get better at the game. The monster AI bouncing between players makes it a lot harder to learn a monster’s moveset and how to best deal with them.

To be fair that kinda happens with two hunter buddies sometimes, especially since I think there are taunt skills they can get. I guess the play would be to tell them to wait in that case?

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Anyone trying to get plates, absolutely bring a loot cat, maybe even two. I've just been using one and have gotten more plates from him than otherwise.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TaurusOxford posted:

Buddy, you should know that you can choose the target you’re locked on with the right joystick, right? It absolutely lets you cycle from tail body or head. Maybe even arms if it’s big enough. As DB it’s great to keep focus on the tail.

You gotta enable focus camera in options somewhere first. The only thing annoying about it is that it’ll cycle through all monsters (wether they’re near or on the other side of the map) before disabling. It’s also really bad in Ranpage because again you’re not focusing on what’s closest to you, it goes off the monster list icons on the top right.

EDIT: From the training dummy, it has 2 target zones

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1377598065276686344?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 1, 2021

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Crowetron posted:

Path of Exile has a famously good endgame, but also its been getting updates for like 8 years now.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Buddy, you should know that you can choose the target you’re locked on with the right joystick, right? It absolutely lets you cycle from tail body or head. Maybe even arms if it’s big enough. As DB it’s great to keep focus on the tail.

You gotta enable focus camera in options somewhere first. The only thing annoying about it is that it’ll cycle through all monsters (wether they’re near or on the other side of the map) before disabling. It’s also really bad in Ranpage because again you’re not focusing on what’s closest to you, it goes off the monster list icons on the top right.

EDIT: From the training dummy, it has 2 target zones

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1377598065276686344?s=21

whoa that's kind of sick. I will probably forget to use it though

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm using KB+M but it's good to know there's a lock, just gotta figure out the key for it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Do broken parts get picked up even if you don't, uh, actually click A to pick them up? Not clear from the Quest Completion screen and I get too excited to chase down mons. I love to IG wirebug -> B -> wirebug -> B -> A repeat. I can fly!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wait, is this new in Rise or did they add this in Iceborne? I could've sworn the base MHW focus camera just vaguely tried to keep the monster in frame and wasn't very useful.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Do broken parts get picked up even if you don't, uh, actually click A to pick them up? Not clear from the Quest Completion screen and I get too excited to chase down mons. I love to IG wirebug -> B -> wirebug -> B -> A repeat. I can fly!!

Nope, you gotta pick them up

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

let my pals pick loot this is like loot game 101.

Let me buy a baby Dodogama that only follows me around to pick up loot

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

lets hang out posted:

Nope, you gotta pick them up

God dammit!

Sometimes I find parts on the ground. Are those from previous hunts or they just happen to be there now without you fighting anything?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

let my pals pick loot this is like loot game 101.

Let me buy a baby Dodogama that only follows me around to pick up loot

I know my Palico picks stuff up but seems pretty slow at it and I don't know if Salmón hangs back doing that while I Tarzan away or not.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

God dammit!

Sometimes I find parts on the ground. Are those from previous hunts or they just happen to be there now without you fighting anything?
some of the idle activities monsters do drop shinies, like if left alone Arzuros might claw up some fish and leave a shiny (containing a fish :v:)

usually it's just wyvern tears though, which is pretty grim now that I think about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How many Anjanaths do I have to kill before I get a drat plate. I have all the armor except the helm

Welcome to Stage 2 of the addiction. When you get the plate you will feel like a genius.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Qubee posted:

I'm using KB+M but it's good to know there's a lock, just gotta figure out the key for it.

You can use KBM in rise?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

wait, is this new in Rise or did they add this in Iceborne? I could've sworn the base MHW focus camera just vaguely tried to keep the monster in frame and wasn't very useful.

I just checked and it was in Iceborne at the very least. Nerg gave me an extra option for targeting the head and Safi gave me options for the head and tail. I would never recommend using it cause of how awkward it is but maybe it's one of those mileage may vary things???

Either way, my mistake. Sorry for the misinformation Qubee.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

monster hunter is bad

april fools actually it's good, did I get you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crowetron posted:

It really owns, ive been using it ever since I unlocked it and it does absolutely crazy mounting and KO damage (if you're using impact).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I would still recommend against using lock-on in a Monster Hunter game. I know manually controlling the camera and your character's facing to target the monster and see what's going on is tough to learn, but while lock-on is probably fine against earlier monsters, it's gonna wildly mess with your view later on. I can't imagine locking on to like Nargacuga or Almudron or something--the camera would swing wildly around when they attack and that would make it harder to dodge I think.

Maybe that's just me, and maybe it's better in Rise? But it seems like sort of a trap option that will make the game harder in the long run if you learn to rely on it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

monster hunter is bad

:mods:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

monster hunter is bad

this is a slap in the face to gamers everywhere

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dyz posted:

You can use KBM in rise?

No I'm playing World, am I posting in the wrong thread?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Qubee posted:

No I'm playing World, am I posting in the wrong thread?

Nope, we're here for everything Monster Hunter it just happens to be right after Rise is out so the confusion is understandable.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Just to be clear on terminology, if you're looking for a specific part or at drop rates, a "broken part" usually doesn't drop on the ground. If something says it's a % from a broken part, that means if you break that part during the fight, that material has that % chance to show up in your quest rewards at the end.

The shiny things that drop on the ground when you fight monsters are "dropped materials" or something like that, they have their own category on loot tables.

The exception are parts that physically detach from a monster and fall on the ground, usually tails. You have to carve those, and related materials will have a "carve tail" or whatever entry on the loot table.

In the cases of both the shiny drops and the tail carves, you do need to pick them up in the mission to get them.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I just got two almudron plates in high rank on my second hunt. I suspect when it comes time to get a plate from another monster I will have very bad luck to make up for this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is a pretty fascinating change for insect glaive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCV7CttjTk

Basically, the more times you do a vaulting dance to stay in the air, the more damage your aerial attacks do, and this applies to Diving Wyvern, nearly doubling the damage when you've built up the maximum aerial damage modifier.

Aerial insect glaive... is it good now??

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 1, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Mailer posted:

I have no idea how the melding works in this game because the low rank unlock looked like "Pick a useless/flavor skill and then roll the dice for two more", but it's worth pointing out that getting decos needed for sets was literally a multi-thousand hour grind in MHW. Rise might be worse but it's pretty hard to imagine.

God yes, getting the elementless jewel for my hammer setup was like a 2 week endeavor.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Snake Maze posted:

In the pre-world games the difference between ~the perfect charm~ that took 1000 hours of farming to get, and a decent charm you found while playing normally, was that you could squeeze in another level of crit eye or something. It was never build defining. Is there really reason to believe Rise is different?

The difference in power between a good and bad charm is absolutely massive compared to old games and some skills can only be found on talismans and don't have any decorations available.

Instead of having 1 skill and some points towards another you can have 2-3 levels in 2 of the best skills. A "decent" talisman isn't just missing some points towards crit eye, it's missing 2-3 skill levels.

Having 3 slots let you get 5 points towards a skill when you generally needed 10 and you might need to spend a slot balancing out the negative points from getting a skill via decorations. Having a lvl 3 slot now gives you an entire skill level of the best skills and you can also have a lvl 2+1 or 2 lvl 1 slots on top of that depending on how good your charms skills are.

It's also much more of a grind to get a decent talisman since normal hunts/mining don't shower you in charms like they used to. At best you can get 5 charms per quest if you constantly grind rampages and throw the tickets into the melding pot, throwing all the parts from a normal hunt into it generally won't even let you get 5 charms.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Harrow posted:

This is a pretty fascinating change for insect glaive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCV7CttjTk

Basically, the more times you do a vaulting dance to stay in the air, the more damage your aerial attacks do, and this applies to Diving Wyvern, nearly doubling the damage when you've built up the maximum aerial damage modifier.

Aerial insect glaive... is it good now??

je suis monte!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Combine that with the fact that you can animation cancel out of the Tornado Slash/Tetraseal Slash end lag with the "call back kinsect" button and insect glaive is pretty :discourse: this time around

Feels like Rise made almost every weapon better and that rules