Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Personally the way the game at mid to high level feels is like a more lethal Counter Strike with longer times between rounds as once you hit a certain level and you die the flea market just lets you buy everything back instantly because money is so drat easy to make. Which is fine for some but I'd prefer the game to keep that survival aspect throughout that you experience as a low level player, that thrill is the best part of the game.

This game SHOULD reward high level players but not because they have infinite money that they can just buy anything from the flea but because they've played it long enough that 1)They have accumulated good gear and ammo through FIR and 2)They have the skills and map knowledge that comes with time played. So ideally you scrap the high tier vendor goods/ ammo/ weapons and the flea market (or keep the flea for lower/ mid tier stuff and meds, provisions etc) so the game continues to be about what you can successfully extract with, not to just instantly put it up on the flea but to use in your future raids or your hideout, as you do as a low level player.

How you balance this for low level players isn't simple, because those that have played the longest would have the best ammo etc BUT if you get the values right on the armor and the ammo where even a low level player can be rewarded with a good headshot or flank on a super high geared player who plays poorly, then you have a fair game.

Even if none of that is implemented I do hope changes come that make the late game just more interesting than having so much money you dont know what to do with apart from just buy the top tier stuff and clap on people and run to the same spots on a map over and over to shove things into your butt to continue the cycle, which isnt what I want Tarkov to be about.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

Personally the way the game is now makes it feel like a more lethal Counter Strike with longer times between rounds as once you hit a certain level if you die the flea market just lets you buy everything back instantly because money is so drat easy to make.

I think that's kinda the main issue right now.

Without the hosed economy it'd be a different game.

It's not just the BTC really.

There is no mid game as you go from being constantly broke and penny pinching finishing your hideout - to having a fully maxed hideout and suddenly you got more money than you know what to do with.

With that said, I personally really enjoy being at the stage of the game where money isn't gatekeeping me from running stuff I like. Yet I clearly see that me having a box of thermals losing which isn't of any concern isn't really what Tarkov was trying to be.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Ok, I'm level 33? Ish. I just clicked over.

The first ten levels were brutal. Everything I saw killed me. Then flea and I could at least kill someone but really, it was still leg meta or headshots if I'm lucky. Solo most of the time, sometimes a duo with someone who is worse than me. I have the bitcoin farm and enough money that I can keep playing and carry my brother a few nights a week while he gets his rear end kicked.

A couple observations.
The bitcoin farm solves nothing for top tier dudes. They still rush tech spawns instantly on any map. Dorms is still best to try and quest at night at the end of the raid, even now I get slapped around hard regularly. Same with resort. Reserve is kinda a shitshow and everything at woods is grinding the boss. Any tasks in these areas are done with minimal gear and armor, as it doesn't help when a squad spams nades and impossible ammo at every moment. Infinite rubles and still sitting on all the high value loot. I'm crafting my graphics cards 72 hrs at a time because I've only ever seen one by happenstance. Same with the gameboy, I found my first last week because someone missed it, and if you don't want to hatchet run, you fight 3-5 man tank squads. Sometimes you win, but if your buddies aren't bushing your gear, it gets expensive quick.

This brings me to my second point, insurance with squads. That's super broken. I played with the goon group a couple weeks ago and other than once, I got all my stuff back when I was dropped. Five people, someone survives. Everyone else gets picked over. That's an issue.

The impossible armor and impossible bullets are silly, but it's a videogame. The market is horribly broken and even then, it doesn't change what it hopes too. Dynamic loot would help a ton.

I really like the game, I took out two 50+ levels the other day with a shotgun from a scav because I was mad that I got one tapped with a full load out the raid before. Sometimes that happens, but it's not normal. There should be a high level advantage, but it's a little silly right now.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
making the hideout super powerful was a big mistake

game was better last year

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
The best part about this game is the community argument about what would make it a good game where fun lasts longer than two weeks after a wipe.

It’s probably out of BSG’s capability, I am just waiting for a AAA clone of this game that makes everyone forget it exists

sum
Nov 15, 2010

There should be an end game, as in a literal end of the game that wipes your character and starts you over. Like once you finish the hideout and a few "main" quests you need to buy some consumable for a million rubles and plant it at Labs or something, and once you do that you Escape From Tarkov TM and prestige.

Also this is ancillary but I think reworking the ammo and armor system to be harder/more ~realistic~ might ironically lead to less gear fear and less of an advantage for chads. I think the hitpoint system is sort of a necessary compromise (you don't want to give ambushers too much of an advantage) but it's silly that you can get shot 7 times point blank by an assault rifle and have literally no lasting consequences besides wearing down armor and using up medkits. Getting shot at should always be scary.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

InevitableCheese posted:

The best part about this game is the community argument about what would make it a good game where fun lasts longer than two weeks after a wipe.

It’s probably out of BSG’s capability, I am just waiting for a AAA clone of this game that makes everyone forget it exists

lmao, glad to see this thread truly is the spiritual successor to the pubg thread. i think people said that exact thing every few pages

btw, is there any good yt content for this game? everyone i can find is just a twitch streamer uploading their highlights where they're rocketing around in top gear showing off how good they are at clicking heads. pestily was the closest i could find to this but he still leans heavily on his shooting skills and all his vids are full of twitch interaction that gets grating really fast. the beginning of his hardcore series was mildly interesting but quickly just became his vods with a bit of editing

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Hooplah posted:

btw, is there any good yt content for this game? everyone i can find is just a twitch streamer uploading their highlights where they're rocketing around in top gear showing off how good they are at clicking heads.

I really like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?TheProfessionalScav?videos

He's an average tarkov player making videos for the average tarkov player.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I like Gigabeef, he has good indepth explanations of mechanics and weapons and no bullshit:
https://youtube.com/c/Gigabeef

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hooplah posted:

btw, is there any good yt content for this game? everyone i can find is just a twitch streamer uploading their highlights where they're rocketing around in top gear showing off how good they are at clicking heads. pestily was the closest i could find to this but he still leans heavily on his shooting skills and all his vids are full of twitch interaction that gets grating really fast. the beginning of his hardcore series was mildly interesting but quickly just became his vods with a bit of editing

tbh I'm less familiar with Tarkov-related YT creators, but yeah there are absolutely a lot more sick highlight compilations/comedy stuff than instructional/informative videos - I think a lot of that's more or less dictated by the nature of YT's content-creation incentive structures, because even most of the people who make an effort to be educational (like Pestily, Veritas, Krashed, JesseKazam, etc. [and note I'm not necessarily recommending all of these, just describing their content]) all regularly release highlight clips

which is understandable, since they provide hits/subscriptions/discoverability/revenue and I imagine are a lot less effort to put together/edit, and make use of material you'd need to be generating for educational stuff anyhow

in regards to Pestily specifically, I'd point to the Raid series since it's recorded while he's not streaming so there is no Twitch interaction whatsoever, and the explicit intent of the editing/narration is to show how to gear/level up and do all the quests in the game starting from a basic account (it still has the basic tension that he needs to be good/knowledgeable about the game to teach anyone anything, but extensive map and game knowledge + shooting skill also means that attempting to emulate everything he does is likely to go poorly - that said it's not a highlight compilation, and he absolutely gets Tarkov'd for entire episodes at a time)

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 30, 2021

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
In addition to the above, Airwingmarine has some great Tarkov content on YouTube. Non-chad, non-pretentious, non-meme videos, mostly about economy, loot, and gun builds.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

sum posted:

There should be an end game, as in a literal end of the game that wipes your character and starts you over. Like once you finish the hideout and a few "main" quests you need to buy some consumable for a million rubles and plant it at Labs or something, and once you do that you Escape From Tarkov TM and prestige.

This is essentially the idea my friends and I came to. Easiest way to prevent end game players from dominating newbies through their gear alone is just let them prestige at some point. Even give people a little star or something next to their name. Satisfying.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Whats to stop people from just... Not prestiging

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

TheTofuShop posted:

accessories and cosmetics ala titanfall 2

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I think it would be better to just make the late game money sinks ramp up in line with inflation. Make the post-death rouble heals a) mandatory and b) way more expensive (once you hit level 20 or 30 or whatever). Make guns decay faster and cost maintenance to repair.

This is video game design 101, you need money sinks that gobble up the virtual currency you are constantly pumping into the system. The fact that this would also increase the value of lower tier gear by making gear decay a real factor would also help, but its really about the roubles first and foremost, especially with an AH.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

Just give people dumb but actually useful incentives.

IE - Each prestige level gives you 1 extra row of stash space and improves skill gain by 10%!
At Prestige 10 your vendor stock purchase limit is increased by 1 for all items and all vendors!

Sweats will mash the prestige button for that....maybe a bigger carrot is needed but there are plenty of things that can be granted that do not give you an edge but are more of a QOL improvement.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
This game isn't finished yet also

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

hey is there anything I can do to stop the launcher loving up and corrupting literally every single download. googling this apparently the devs expect me to grab the files mid download from the temp folder, extract them myself, and then repair the installation in the launcher but if I do that it gets stuck in a loop too

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cage Kicker posted:

This game isn't finished yet also

I think we are past the point where they can make major changes.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

aniviron posted:

I think we are past the point where they can make major changes.

It's not too late to turn it into a battle royale.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Anyone know where to get ratchet wrenches atm? Crafting graphics cards is currently a loss which is...kind of funny. Curious to see what the market does.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Just a wild guess but I would bet money on gas stations and tool boxes and OLI.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I've been running OLI for computer parts and filters. Haven't found any yet, which is weird because that's where I would expect to find them. I guess I'll check out old and new gas on customs.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Anyone else notice audio glitches with the latest patch? It seems like every now and then my own character sounds like someone else stepping on wood in my right earpiece. It's been freaking me out constantly on every map and even when there's no wood anywhere near by.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Anyone else notice audio glitches with the latest patch? It seems like every now and then my own character sounds like someone else stepping on wood in my right earpiece. It's been freaking me out constantly on every map and even when there's no wood anywhere near by.

Aside from the normal "stepping on roots of a tree sounds like walking on a wooden floor", I havent experienced anything like this.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The best part of patches is seeing what new bullshit it takes to craft random things. :allears:

Gotta tighten those bolts on that GPU and then throw the wrench in the trash.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a bug with Steam audio that's been around forever. Annoying as hell.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Steam audio was re-enabled this patch because they supposedly fixed it. It was disabled after being implemented but buggy. So it tracks that you'd be noticing the same bug from before just now, because steam audio is back.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

xanif posted:

I've been running OLI for computer parts and filters. Haven't found any yet, which is weird because that's where I would expect to find them. I guess I'll check out old and new gas on customs.

Supposedly they are pretty rare and most people are finding them in caches and the occasional toolbox. I only mentioned the gas stations because the flavor text mentions mechanics and poo poo so I thought maybe?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

adamantium|wang posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a bug with Steam audio that's been around forever. Annoying as hell.

Yeah apparently so, I guess I didn't notice it as much before this week's patch.

It's actually the first thing this guy talks about in this patch changes video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njFEbY4yhIU

also there are examples of it in the video lol

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Wow I had never heard of that being a bug. I always assumed it was my squads noise rendering incorrectly.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
punishing players for being higher level via increased costs is actually stupid, investing time into the game shouldn't penalize you.

reworking bitcoin to be an easy to attain low cost small passive income source, removing FiR restrictions for wearables, equipment, and ammo for the flea market, and reworking the fleamarket slightly (only allowing people to buy the cheapest of an item, removing barters, and restricting selling to 25) would make the new players' experience far better whilst combatting rmt equally effectively.

there are already guns that are insanely cost effective that new players can rely on in niche environments to prey on 'the good players', so it's not like they need more tools, just remove some of the massive advantages that players who grind traders and levels.

oh and adding in a guild system that allows free trading between guild members (with restrictions in order to fight RMTers) would also be huge for newer and shittier players.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

We must fully balance the beta testing format before finishing the game. Who cares if it’s the actual intended game or not, it’s what got popular on Twitch. /s

What you are playing right now is the beta testing loop for the game where equipment is practically given away for free at high rates, you can raid on any map you want, and players are allowed to amass a billion roubles over the course of a wipe. This allows the players to heavily test gun and equipment interactions, track map flow, tweak AI, etc. If the rare loot was actually rare there’d be hardly a reason to let us free beta testers play.

Wonder what the player drop off % for this game will be when physical trader locations, being required to survive maps at specific extracts for travel between them, weapon durability, gun jamming, etc are introduced. The norm will be lovely guns and ammo you piece together over several raids (if you survive).

I guess it remains to be seen, but the vision I’ve heard Nikita talk about for this game is hardly like what people are coming to it for at the moment.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

InevitableCheese posted:

being required to survive maps at specific extracts for travel between them

Lmao gently caress that entirely. I will stop playing the game 100% if this becomes standard

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

InevitableCheese posted:

We must fully balance the beta testing format before finishing the game. Who cares if it’s the actual intended game or not, it’s what got popular on Twitch. /s

What you are playing right now is the beta testing loop for the game where equipment is practically given away for free at high rates, you can raid on any map you want, and players are allowed to amass a billion roubles over the course of a wipe. This allows the players to heavily test gun and equipment interactions, track map flow, tweak AI, etc. If the rare loot was actually rare there’d be hardly a reason to let us free beta testers play.

Wonder what the player drop off % for this game will be when physical trader locations, being required to survive maps at specific extracts for travel between them, weapon durability, gun jamming, etc are introduced. The norm will be lovely guns and ammo you piece together over several raids (if you survive).

I guess it remains to be seen, but the vision I’ve heard Nikita talk about for this game is hardly like what people are coming to it for at the moment.

Then we're not really testing the game as it should be tested. If everyone's running around with Slicks and meta guns when loot is supposed to be way harder to come by in some indeterminate future, then the game is getting balanced around the "hold W toward dorms" playstyle over what it's ostensibly supposed to be. Unless they're just completely ignoring whatever data and feedback they're collecting after two weeks into a wipe, then the monopoly money meta isn't useful information for building the game they claim to be building

Orv
May 4, 2011

InevitableCheese posted:

See this was definitely true like three years ago but I'm pretty sure that for all Nikita has his vision, he likes the game being popular and making a ton of money more. Open world and all that stuff are probably dead.

Though it's gonna be extremely funny if they aren't.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
From the sound of their plans for the upcoming Arena mode, they want to do both simultaneously.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
They are almost definitely going to keep raiding in its current form in the final version but I would be very surprised if that derails the story mode that has been the point of the game since the very beginning.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I think they said that the first story quest was going to be in this patch (probably bumped back like all the other cool stuff), but I would bet on them being slightly more elaborate (instanced?) quests with voice acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Have they said much more on the arena front than "boss fight/rush mode"?