Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

If they are moving to push everyone into the cloud the way the poster I quoted seemed to be saying, then its a problem.

That sucks if true, none of my stuff is connected to their cloud stuff. I hope they learn a lesson from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

That sucks if true, none of my stuff is connected to their cloud stuff. I hope they learn a lesson from this.

My last 2 hosting gigs included me being depressed by the fact that using LastPass was the GOOD option, with several admins openly advising people to stop with the complex passwords and just increment the same ones you have always used by 1 every 90 days.

So no, no one has learned any loving thing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

My last 2 hosting gigs included me being depressed by the fact that using LastPass was the GOOD option, with several admins openly advising people to stop with the complex passwords and just increment the same ones you have always used by 1 every 90 days.

So no, no one has learned any loving thing

I kinda wanna know how they popped the lastpass DB, I'm assuming the guy had it tied to his Windows account or had the password saved somewhere plaintext.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

I kinda wanna know how they popped the lastpass DB, I'm assuming the guy had it tied to his Windows account or had the password saved somewhere plaintext.

I assume password reuse. Most people seem to roll that "just increment by one" password that they used everywhere into their new database password before going and changing all of your site passwords, so just grab an old dump of demonoid.pr

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CommieGIR posted:

Its an email address and password at the minimum which is about as basic poo poo tier security as you can get. The fact that lastpass doesn't require you to have mfa is... cute.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Its an email address and password at the minimum which is about as basic poo poo tier security as you can get. The fact that lastpass doesn't require you to have mfa is... cute.

Ahhhhh, sorry I was mixing up Lastpass and Keepass in my head

And yeah, I don't know why Lastpass isn't MFA compliant yet, its so easy now.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
If you have Lastpass Enterprise you can enforce MFA across your org. Since it sounds like this guy may have generated access keys for the AWS root account and maybe wasn't using enterprise policy or 2FA, it doesn't sound like anything would have saved them.

It's been wild working at multiple large, household name tech companies and still having people push against enforced employee 2FA and user 2FA features because too many people just don't like using it or are somehow wildly inconvenienced.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shuu posted:

It's been wild working at multiple large, household name tech companies and still having people push against enforced employee 2FA and user 2FA features because too many people just don't like using it or are somehow wildly inconvenienced.

Oh yeah, this has been the bane of my last few years of consulting: I still get steady pushback against MFA, my current client is the only one that really bought all the way into it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I vaguely remember something about running a password manager while logged into Windows as a local admin account mean that if your user account got compromised, they could get an unencrypted memory dump of your password vault when you unlocked it. Having trouble finding info on it now. With it being a dev that got popped, I kinda feel like that could have been a strong possibility.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If you can compromise their pc, just replace the exe with a version that uploads everything the first time you unlock it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Shuu posted:

If you have Lastpass Enterprise you can enforce MFA across your org. Since it sounds like this guy may have generated access keys for the AWS root account and maybe wasn't using enterprise policy or 2FA, it doesn't sound like anything would have saved them.

This is all fine and good but you still run into the issue of folks using their personal accounts and storing credentials in them. This is especially hard in the dev circles and cloud without a ton of origin restrictions. You basically can't stop this unless you...

*Restrict all managed devices to use your companies password manager of choice while also making sure they can't sign on with their personal accounts.
*Restrict all access to these managed dev and cloud tools to only be accessible through your managed devices and network locations.
*Hammer them over and over again until you annoy them into complete compliance.

The lessons I have learned tell me that attempting to do all of the above and more, your users, devs, admins, and everyone else is going to leak credentials through the infinite amount of ways to do so. Make them as worthless as you can.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

evil_bunnY posted:

The early years were a dumpster fire because of default perms, the current years can be a dumpster fire when people open their buckets to make poo poo work.

"Making poo poo work" is the huge problem. AWS is a nightmare to try new things in and when you have deadlines it's easy to get [deus ex recut voice] desperate

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

I vaguely remember something about running a password manager while logged into Windows as a local admin account mean that if your user account got compromised, they could get an unencrypted memory dump of your password vault when you unlocked it. Having trouble finding info on it now. With it being a dev that got popped, I kinda feel like that could have been a strong possibility.

I mean that seems to be true for most, either when the password is copy/pasted or other ways. Separation of rights via Least Privilege helps solve some of that (i.e. a non-admin account being popped is less likely to be able to read any data from the admin account escalated process.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Didn't LastPass have a vuln a few years back where you could silently harvest someones entire database with a well crafted field form(that could be hidden on the page)?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Didn't LastPass have a vuln a few years back where you could silently harvest someones entire database with a well crafted field form(that could be hidden on the page)?

Yeah, I think this is what you're referring to - https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1930

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I think what I read what his write up on the exploit he mentions at the bottom, but it looks like it

did they ever notify their users of that high severity issue?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think so. I believe they sent an email about it.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2019/09/lastpass-bug-reported-resolved/

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shuu posted:

We just rolled out MFA last week :suicide:

I fought for a year to enable it when I was in IT and was explicitly shut down every time. This is especially egregious because we actually made everyone signup for MFA, and use it on their first login! And then we never again required it on login after that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

This is probably what you’re thinking of: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/02/21/password-managers-leaking-data-in-memory-but-you-should-still-use-one/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As soon as I saw the URL, I knew that was it. Yes, thank you!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I called Fidelity to close my brokerage account with them. The machine had me put in my social security number. So far, normal.

Then it asked me to type in my account's password using the phone's keypad. As in the letters JKL are all entered as 5. Caps? Doesn't matter. Doge = 3643 and DOGE = 3643. If you've got a number? You just use the number.

And wait for it, all special characters are entered with the * sign.

Someone tell me I'm dumb and this is actually a good security practice because it looks like a dumpster fire to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Depends on how many tries you get, really. Password strength is versus ability to brute force, and it’s not like hashes of the keypad-encoded passwords are leaking to attackers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You also have to balance this against Olds who won't remember the da-da-duh-da-da code with the specific cadence to make a certain character, then scream at a hapless support person.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Subjunctive posted:

Depends on how many tries you get, really. Password strength is versus ability to brute force, and it’s not like hashes of the keypad-encoded passwords are leaking to attackers.

No, it’s just really bad.

Worst, and most likely, case: they’re keeping the passwords in plaintext. Obviously terrible.

“Best” case: when you set a password, it’s encoded into keypad form, then both the original and encoded forms are salted, hashed, and stored. If there’s a breach and an attacker gets their hands on both password DBs, then it’s seriously bad news. The number of possible combinations in the keypad encoded password is tiny compared to the full version, and once you recover a keypad password, then it cuts down massively on the space you have to search to recover the full password. Anybody with both sets of hashes and a bit of GPU time can easily recover the originals.

It’s a good idea to use user-set passwords instead of just assuming that anyone who knows your SSN is you, but trying to reuse passwords between two platforms like this is not a good way to do it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I called Fidelity to close my brokerage account with them. The machine had me put in my social security number. So far, normal.

Then it asked me to type in my account's password using the phone's keypad. As in the letters JKL are all entered as 5. Caps? Doesn't matter. Doge = 3643 and DOGE = 3643. If you've got a number? You just use the number.

And wait for it, all special characters are entered with the * sign.

Someone tell me I'm dumb and this is actually a good security practice because it looks like a dumpster fire to me.

What's the password length requirements?
e: also, try logging in on their website sometime with your password in the wrong case, I'm willing to bet it's case insensitive.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 1, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

spankmeister posted:

e: also, try logging in on their website sometime with your password in the wrong case, I'm willing to bet it's case insensitive.

quote:

Please use 6 to 20 letters, numbers, and/or special characters. Letters are case-sensitive.

YOU MAY NOT USE:
  • " # & * < > [ ] ` { }
  • Sequences (e.g., 12345 or 11111)
  • Personal info (SSN, phone #, DOB)
  • A password you've used before

For the record my now defunct account had a password violating those things. I have a number sequence, and I have a string of “EEEE” which is just what my password generator generated.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

spankmeister posted:

For fun I tried it out, but it doesn't accept the wrong case.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

“Guess it’s time to dump Ubiquiti” do you guys refuse to use Linux, Windows, Android, macOS, or iOS because each one has had at least one problem?

Put the nature of the breach into perspective: someone hosed up their PAM. This was a failure caused by That Guy who is always complaining about certain parts of administration security in your organization.

Compare that to cisco/cisco.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 1, 2021

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

“Guess it’s time to dump Ubiquiti” do you guys refuse to use Linux, Windows, Android, macOS, or iOS because each one has had at least one problem?

Put the nature of the breach into perspective: someone hosed up their PAM. This was a failure caused by That Guy who is always complaining about certain parts of administration security in your organization.

I think the problem was less "they made a mistake" and more "they pretended they didn't make a mistake, but the mistake was very big."

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

HexiDave posted:

I think the problem was less "they made a mistake" and more "they pretended they didn't make a mistake, but the mistake was very big."

Yes I would agree. See for instance how FireEye handled their initial announcement of the whole Orion/SolarWinds debacle as an example of how to handle things well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HexiDave posted:

This. It's a combo of them pushing cloud everything all the loving time and lying about getting owned. I wouldn't have a problem running their on-prem wifi gear but gently caress putting my surveillance footage on their cloud solution.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
It wasn't a security breach, but we dumped FireEye when their email security product was just dropping emails silently for weeks and there was no way to know from our side. Took our users and the users from a major partner opening tickets for it to click. Apparently affected a ton of customers.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

iOS, Android, Linux and Windows all publish CVEs and issue fixes. Ubiquiti forces people to use remote access, has access to every credential and certificate stolen, hides it while lying to users about impact, making potential impact worse

edit: it may be easier to say every company makes mistakes, Ubiquiti males compounding mistakes

text editor fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 1, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ubiquiti made the same mistakes that make every security goon say to stay the gently caress away from LastPass.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there anything else at Ubiquiti's price point for the home network / playground?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Is there anything else at Ubiquiti's price point for the home network / playground?
Mikrotik is supposedly the other option.
I bought a five-port switch with four 10G SFP+ cages and one 1GbE port, and aside from missing documentation about baudrate for serial connection via uplcom(4) and no mention of (10k) jumboframes being the default on all ports, it seems fine once I switched it to SwOS.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

I just bought a new* ruckus 310 unleashed on ebay for around the ubiquitous price point.

It'll be a long time until WiFi6 ruckus gear hits that price on ebay though

+its an older model, like their first AC wave 2

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

On the topic of protecting users from phishing, it's time to name and shame myself: I fell victim to a Steam phishing scam yesterday. However,

1) I had nothing of value to steal, no items to trade away; I had my inventory hidden, so the phisher was presumably disappointed to discover this
2) I had Steam Guard (aka MFA) enabled, so he was unable to make any changes to my account, and I invalidated his session promptly
3) I used a unique email address (via a vanity domain on a DigitalOcean droplet) and have a password manager, so I promptly kicked him out and changed the password; he won't have anything useful on me
4) He was unable to jump to anyone on my friends list before someone alerted me to do the above, according to the chatlogs I pulled up; I responsibly disclosed the compromise to the people on my friends list that he contacted
5) I checked my market transactions and purchase history; no activity. Steam's user protections prevented him from accessing or using any personal or financial info

The vulnerabilities that led to the compromise:

1) It was an account that I knew (added years ago when I met them on some game) but didn't know (some rando I hadn't spoken to in ages, trivial to plausibly impersonate)
2) Request to vote for some shithead's CS:GO team plausible, but unwanted social interaction; forced politeness causes a desire to get the interaction over with and reduces attention to detail
3) Fake site with a plausible, well-produced fake Steam third-party login flow
4) I don't play CS:GO so I don't give a poo poo about their tournament websites or know how they work
5) I never log into Steam in my browser so I didn't have the login info in 1Password! 1Password would have stopped this phishing attempt in its tracks when my browser extension didn't show my login for their fake site. This is probably the most crucial thing; my password manager could have waylaid the whole thing if I was using it completely ubiquitously.

I am fairly confident I have rooted the attacker from my account and that I wasn't penetrated further than my Steam credentials. I didn't download anything, obviously (that would have been a major red flag), so I'm confident the compromise was limited to my account details (username, password, email address), all of which I've now changed. So hopefully this experience provides some useful info to those of you trying to protect your own users as to how phishing attempts work (on anyone! no one is safe!), why training isn't a panacea that will solve them, and how to better protect your users when they are inevitably compromised.

As a side note, you guys should definitely include login IP and approximate location with any MFA system you build. That also would have been a red flag; wouldn't have saved me from changing my password, but he wouldn't have been able to get past MFA. I can kind of see why people have concerns about Google Authenticator now given that prompt-based MFA is more likely to put a user on alert than rolling MFA tokens.

There's my security breach disclosure, feel free to mock me for being an idiot now :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

On the topic of protecting users from phishing, it's time to name and shame myself: I fell victim to a Steam phishing scam yesterday. However,

1) I had nothing of value to steal, no items to trade away; I had my inventory hidden, so the phisher was presumably disappointed to discover this
2) I had Steam Guard (aka MFA) enabled, so he was unable to make any changes to my account, and I invalidated his session promptly
3) I used a unique email address (via a vanity domain on a DigitalOcean droplet) and have a password manager, so I promptly kicked him out and changed the password; he won't have anything useful on me
4) He was unable to jump to anyone on my friends list before someone alerted me to do the above, according to the chatlogs I pulled up; I responsibly disclosed the compromise to the people on my friends list that he contacted
5) I checked my market transactions and purchase history; no activity. Steam's user protections prevented him from accessing or using any personal or financial info

The vulnerabilities that led to the compromise:

1) It was an account that I knew (added years ago when I met them on some game) but didn't know (some rando I hadn't spoken to in ages, trivial to plausibly impersonate)
2) Request to vote for some shithead's CS:GO team plausible, but unwanted social interaction; forced politeness causes a desire to get the interaction over with and reduces attention to detail
3) Fake site with a plausible, well-produced fake Steam third-party login flow
4) I don't play CS:GO so I don't give a poo poo about their tournament websites or know how they work
5) I never log into Steam in my browser so I didn't have the login info in 1Password! 1Password would have stopped this phishing attempt in its tracks when my browser extension didn't show my login for their fake site. This is probably the most crucial thing; my password manager could have waylaid the whole thing if I was using it completely ubiquitously.

I am fairly confident I have rooted the attacker from my account and that I wasn't penetrated further than my Steam credentials. I didn't download anything, obviously (that would have been a major red flag), so I'm confident the compromise was limited to my account details (username, password, email address), all of which I've now changed. So hopefully this experience provides some useful info to those of you trying to protect your own users as to how phishing attempts work (on anyone! no one is safe!), why training isn't a panacea that will solve them, and how to better protect your users when they are inevitably compromised.

As a side note, you guys should definitely include login IP and approximate location with any MFA system you build. That also would have been a red flag; wouldn't have saved me from changing my password, but he wouldn't have been able to get past MFA. I can kind of see why people have concerns about Google Authenticator now given that prompt-based MFA is more likely to put a user on alert than rolling MFA tokens.

There's my security breach disclosure, feel free to mock me for being an idiot now :)

Thanks for sharing this. Lessons learnt like this are great shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bravo on you for sharing. Yeah, that particular Steam "hack" has been going around for a while. The Steam thread on SA has people pretty much every day trying to track down some goon who got got. Nobody said this stuff was easy!