Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

bamhand posted:

I had the same thing happen. It was from Fanatical. Aren't they legit?
Fanatical is absolutely legit, they don't stell stolen keys. There's some shenanigans on the side of the payment processor going on here. I've never had any of their keys die on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Now that's dedication to a bit. The footnote at the end really sells it.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Cardiovorax posted:

Fanatical is absolutely legit, they don't stell stolen keys. There's some shenanigans on the side of the payment processor going on here. I've never had any of their keys die on me.

Yeah I mean I for sure got it from a bundle, either Fanatical or Humble.

Weird nonetheless.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fun Times! posted:

Read the explanation you got a stolen key

Kibayasu posted:

Whoever you bought the key from almost certainly got it in some fraudulent manner. Do you remember who you bought it from?
That message is the generic key revocation message and there's no way a payment issue from 3 years ago is just happening now. Steam should not allow key revocations older than 6 months (I'd say 3, but let's be generous). There's no reason a fraudulent transaction or payment issue should be unresolved or undetected in that time.

Here's their bullshit reason:https://steamcommunity.com/app/402310/discussions/0/3068614788761423239/
If true then sue your publisher, or revoke the keys as soon as you don't get payment.
Also lol at making people jump through hoops to "make things right" instead of just revoking only unactivated keys which will cause much less bad press.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
e:nm

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bamhand posted:

I had the same thing happen. It was from Fanatical. Aren't they legit?

They should be but I guess the chance still exists since they’re still a third party store. At the very least that means you might be able to get something out of them with the key revoked. Though If it was part of a bundle that could complicate things.

Edit: Oh, I guess the post above is the actual explanation. At least it looks like you can get another one.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Fanatical is not a key reseller like G2A. They are just like GMG or Humble, they get their keys directly from developers/publishers. Multiple developers have specifically called them out as a good store to deal with.

The developer here sounds like an idiot who either got scammed or doesn't understand how the publishing side of the business works, or possibly some combination of both.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1536610/OpenTTD/

:eyepop: I never thought this would come to steam!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That message is the generic key revocation message and there's no way a payment issue from 3 years ago is just happening now. Steam should not allow key revocations older than 6 months (I'd say 3, but let's be generous). There's no reason a fraudulent transaction or payment issue should be unresolved or undetected in that time.

Here's their bullshit reason:https://steamcommunity.com/app/402310/discussions/0/3068614788761423239/
If true then sue your publisher, or revoke the keys as soon as you don't get payment.
Also lol at making people jump through hoops to "make things right" instead of just revoking only unactivated keys which will cause much less bad press.

That is actually kind of scary that a developer or Steam can do that after three years of ownership.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

IS

GOLFTOPIA

MODERN SIM GOLF??

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1144020/GolfTopia/

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Reply from Fanatical:

quote:

We are aware of an issue with Steam keys for Overfall, which we sold in our Origins Bundle in 2018.

We are in contact with the original publisher and developer to rectify the issue as quickly as possible, and will provide more details therein. We strongly refute any unfounded allegations around trust and can assure you that Fanatical continues to act with integrity, ensuring that all of our products are officially licensed.

We will email back with more information as soon as we have spoken with the publishers and developers.

Customer Service Team,
Fanatical.com

Which is mostly a reiteration of what people in this thread already have said.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Good to see that they're acknowledging the issue. Fanatical has always been a quality site when they actually have a bundle I want, which has been getting somewhat more rare since their name change. Would've been a shame if they had suddenly become untrustworthy as a seller.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I know the Steam forums are cheating but holy poo poo gamers are a mistake.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

When the cracks in the system reveal how little ownership we actually have of stuff, it's a hell of a lot easier to lash out at an indie dev than at a faceless corporation who couldn't give a gnat's poo poo if they lose a handful of customers when so many more are already locked in for the long term thanks to brand recognition :shrug:

Getting a pretty good :lol: at "Microsoft Encarta '95" (complete with avatar) being quoted with that though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean it's not a cool situation to be in but that's not a proportional or rational response in the slightest.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Maybe they're already on edge about 3D All-Stars going away and this is what tipped them over

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Re: Contradiction

Xaris posted:

Very solid and a really interesting FMV game made on a budget of like $4000. I actually just played it for the first time despite owning it for almost a decade, a few weeks ago, and really liked it. They also just did a big UI overhaul/update a few weeks prior to that which reminded me to play it. There's not really much puzzles or anything, it's a lot of talking to people and then selecting things they said that contradict each other to open up another plot point and then taking that to other people.

It was clearly pretty rushed and ends... semi cliff-hangerishly because they didnt have the money to fully realize all the plot lines. Hopefully with the latest March 2021 Major Update that came out of nowhere + going on sale and giving it more attention, that means Contradiction 2 may be in the works.

not sure why else they would do a big UI update on it 10 years later after neglecting even putting it on sale for so long but I really hope so. It was a very unique game and would love a follow-up

I'm into the third hour and it's interesting, but the gimmick that you can only use contradictions from things that the person themselves has said, and can't bring up witness statements is irksome at times, when a person says something which seems to contradict something another person has said, but you can't use that. Such as James saying he hadn't seen Kate recently, but Emma saying that Kate had bought a mirror from him. I guess that might not be a contradiction, but being unable to get a timeline on that is annoying. More egregious is something I'm stuck with now - talking to Ryan. He claims that he couldn't think of any way the 3-finger symbol could be used on the course, but Simon said "oh yeah, we use that on the course, it's the symbol for the three freedoms", and I don't seem to get any options to contradict that seemingly blatant lie.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Orv posted:

I mean it's not a cool situation to be in but that's not a proportional or rational response in the slightest.

gamers.txt

Orv
May 4, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Maybe they're already on edge about 3D All-Stars going away and this is what tipped them over

The 3D All-Stars thing is just Nintendo continuing to skate by on its cult, honestly. It's a Tuesday.

And while the dude saying that poo poo to anybody remains a completely uncool way to go about this, apparently Overfall was co-developed by another studio, in some capacity, who just removed themselves from the publisher/dev list of Overfall today. So who knows what's going on there.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

More egregious is something I'm stuck with now - talking to Ryan. He claims that he couldn't think of any way the 3-finger symbol could be used on the course, but Simon said "oh yeah, we use that on the course, it's the symbol for the three freedoms", and I don't seem to get any options to contradict that seemingly blatant lie.
Try asking him about this.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I know people at least didn’t dislike the demo, and that it’s been selling consistently well ever since then, but I didn’t anticipate Outriders hitting 100k concurrents an hour after release. Seems like that game is going to do very well for itself.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Anno posted:

I know people at least didn’t dislike the demo, and that it’s been selling consistently well ever since then, but I didn’t anticipate Outriders hitting 100k concurrents an hour after release. Seems like that game is going to do very well for itself.

Game’s getting slammed. Lots of launch issues though: https://www.reddit.com/r/outriders/comments/mh3etc/outriders_launch_info_known_issues_tracking/

With that said, those who have been playing are enjoying it. The outriders thread here is hot too, which is cool to see.

Plenty of cons, I’ll admit it but overall, getting a lot of response here and from streamers that it’s a pleasant surprise.

Last thing I’ll add is the launch date couldn’t come at a better time as there ain’t much else to play for those major releases (besides Monster Hunter Rise, a game that rules) so lots of eyes are on the game.

If anybody here gets Outriders, hope you enjoy! The world needs good games and I think everybody hopes this one ends up scratching the itch for a month or two. It ain’t a GaaS and it has an end, which thank god.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Griefor posted:

Reply from Fanatical:

Which is mostly a reiteration of what people in this thread already have said.

and from that steam post:

quote:

Edit2: There is a misunderstanding about Fanatical because many of the keys that we sent were used for their bundles and deals. Fanatical was not among the "other fraud sites" that we mentioned before, we never blamed them - never will. After getting in contact, instead of making you fill the form (which was an immediate solution patch attempt to those who got their keys revoked), we decided to provide Fanatical all the keys that got revoked from their bundles, and they'll make sure you'll receive them in the near future. We're geniunely very sorry to have this happen to you guys and wanted to fix it as soon as possible.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The bar that that a shlooter like Outriders needs to pass isn't very high as of now. Many folks are tired of Division 2, Destiny 2 and Warframe and want something new, and Anthem is still fresh in people's minds.

So if Outriders just manages to be enjoyable and doesn't completely gently caress up during this launch honeymoon period, I think it might do okay. Sounds like the endgame already exists and works, which is more than you can say for Anthem.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
My (possibly very) hot take: Fanatical is arguably a better bundle site than Humble at this point. Fanatical actually has a decent number of bundles which have stuff I want for very cheap and are always a la carte. I’m not into Humble’s stuff enough to justify the subscription anymore, but reasonably often find a fanatical bundle I am into. This feels extremely weird given my past stereotypes about each.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Orv posted:

I know the Steam forums are cheating but holy poo poo gamers are a mistake.

At first I thought it was about Microsoft encarta rather than a user named Microsoft encarya and I thought it was kind of funny

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FastestGunAlive posted:

At first I thought it was about Microsoft encarta rather than a user named Microsoft encarya and I thought it was kind of funny

same lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I can't speak for anyone else there, but the reason I prefer Humble overall is that their bundles are often new stuff, or at least contain titles that they've never run before. You get duplicates, but not as many. Fanatical (if only because it has at least 5 bundles going at any one time) tends to do a lot of re-runs, to the point that I basically own 90% of their regular stable of games already and rarely buy their bundles anymore, because it would be redundant for me anyway.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I miss those big mainline Humble bundles with numbers. They really don't like doing them anymore :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FastestGunAlive posted:

Mind Maze broke the spirits of many.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

FastestGunAlive posted:

The little game where you had to try and launch the moon into a stable orbit ruled and if Microsoft patched it out I'd be threatening to bury their company too

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

tildes posted:

My (possibly very) hot take: Fanatical is arguably a better bundle site than Humble at this point. Fanatical actually has a decent number of bundles which have stuff I want for very cheap and are always a la carte. I’m not into Humble’s stuff enough to justify the subscription anymore, but reasonably often find a fanatical bundle I am into. This feels extremely weird given my past stereotypes about each.

I like that Humble has my library of DRM-free indie stuff that stays up to date and they (very occasionally) still get new DRM-free indie releases, I like when they have their No Starch Press book bundles like the one going on now, those are some genuinely good instructive texts, but yeah they've been kinda sucking wind with their game bundles lately and the monthlies aren't often much better. Fanatical has a lot more misses than hits with their bundles, but they at least take swings more frequently than Humble does, and it's not uncommon to see them have the best price on something. Can't remember the last time Humble got a better discount on their regular storefront than anyone else.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Speaking of Fanatical, this seems like a really, really good bundle?

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Shadow Tactics, Fell Seal, Trine 3, Rayman Legends (uplay), Jotun, Sundered, and Sherlock Holmes are all playable games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh yeah, that bundle is great. Shadow Tactics, The Division, Fell Seal, Starpoint Gemini, Sundered, Trine, Jotun... tons of good games in that one. Seven of those games for only 20 dollars is nothing to sneeze at.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nine Parchments is another game from the Trine devs.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of Fanatical, this seems like a really, really good bundle?

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Shadow Tactics, Fell Seal, Trine 3, Rayman Legends (uplay), Jotun, Sundered, and Sherlock Holmes are all playable games.

Falconeer is also supposed to be pretty solid!

ultrafilter posted:

Nine Parchments is another game from the Trine devs.

It’s pretty all right I think especially local coop. In the same vein as Magicka of “fight enemies with a bunch of spells and frequently accidentally kill your friends”

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

tildes posted:

Falconeer is also supposed to be pretty solid!
It is, however, not actually about falconry.

Yes, I am disappointed by that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Falconeer had some of the worst controls of any game I've played in my life. I dropped it after about 15 minutes of fumbling around on Gamepass.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Speaking of fanatical, here's a free 50 cent coupon, I'm not going to purchase something else from them this month I don't think so here you go: UDEkFdVqatBD65

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

tildes posted:

It’s pretty all right I think especially local coop. In the same vein as Magicka of “fight enemies with a bunch of spells and frequently accidentally kill your friends”

If I was to be critical I’d say magicka is the much better game for a number of reasons, but I ended up enjoying nine parchments a lot more because I’m too dumb for magicka