Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a lot of the redrawn scenes in DBZ Kai look really off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i read the entire db/dbz manga for the first time last year and i liked db better

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I rewatched all of DBZ a couple years ago and came to the conclusion that it's better than the manga or Kai. Sure, some of the filler episodes are pretty lovely. But a lot of the additions make the story better. In the manga, Bulma just vanishes halfway through the Namek arc. The show giving her her own little adventures is an improvement. The additional challenges along Snake Way make the story better. There are even a couple little glimpses of normal people reacting to the apocalyptic events of the show and they're great, there's nothing like that in the manga.

People talk about Kai as if it took out all the powering up, but there's still a lot of powering up. Most of the cuts aren't powering up, it's fun stuff like Goku in hell or Piccolo getting a driver's license.

Mannnnn agree to disagree - my recent attempt to watch a bit of Z didn't work out. For every neat episode like Krillin/Yamcha/Tien/Chiaotzu training against the fake Saiyans, the driving episode, and being stuck in HFIL, there is a massive amount that is an absolute slog to get through. So many staredowns that last for a solid minute, consisting of slow dissolves back and forth (lots of padding like this), Fake Namek, the orphans with Gohan early on, a bunch of Buu saga stuff that thankfully got axed with Final Chapters, it really adds up to a ton of useless bullshit that just wastes your time. Also, Z's dub has not aged well, even taking into account when Funimation went back and redubbed the Saiyan saga and part of the Namek saga before it catches up to the broadcast premiere and Goku's voice takes a solid backslide and you have Grandma Freeza and cringey scripts to listen to

You also have the Garlic Jr. Saga which has a cool idea - How would Earth fare without Goku saving the day constantly - but ends up being wack and should be tossed in the garbage

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Whats the absolute best pokemon/gundam/other segment from each long running childrens show?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Good soup! posted:

Mannnnn agree to disagree - my recent attempt to watch a bit of Z didn't work out. For every neat episode like Krillin/Yamcha/Tien/Chiaotzu training against the fake Saiyans, the driving episode, and being stuck in HFIL, there is a massive amount that is an absolute slog to get through. So many staredowns that last for a solid minute, consisting of slow dissolves back and forth (lots of padding like this), Fake Namek, the orphans with Gohan early on, a bunch of Buu saga stuff that thankfully got axed with Final Chapters, it really adds up to a ton of useless bullshit that just wastes your time. Also, Z's dub has not aged well, even taking into account when Funimation went back and redubbed the Saiyan saga and part of the Namek saga before it catches up to the broadcast premiere and Goku's voice takes a solid backslide and you have Grandma Freeza and cringey scripts to listen to

You also have the Garlic Jr. Saga which has a cool idea - How would Earth fare without Goku saving the day constantly - but ends up being wack and should be tossed in the garbage

HOLY COSMOS! Look at that thing! My gosh, that's one whopper of a lizard!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Declan MacManus posted:

the dub is good, recommended so you’re not reading and you can take everything in visually

agreed, but i just learned japanese instead

if i'm gonna watch poo poo in a 2nd language anyway (there's like... 3? animes dubbed into my first language and they're all very bad) why not go full tilt amirite :v:

e: realtalk though do what you like better, i grew up on subtitles so idc about reading them while also watching thing, but some people loathe them

Truga has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Mar 31, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

kneelbeforezog posted:

Whats the absolute best pokemon/gundam/other segment from each long running childrens show?

gundam has too many good stretches to label one best but also char's counter-attack since that movie is half the inspiration for evangelion

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

kneelbeforezog posted:

The best part of Pokemon was the episodes where the cast fought Sabrina and got trapped in her dollhouse/died trying to capture ghost type pokemon

Now I'm remembering how stupid the original games were bc ghost type moves were supposed to be strong against psychic types yet there were no traditional ghost type moves whatsoever, and the ghosts were all part poison so got absolutely hosed by psychics

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If you consider "segments" as like entire seasons or whatever then ironblooded orphans is probably one of the most consistently good AUs on the fact that the sequel didnt poo poo itself. If Build Divers had started out with Season 2s concept and expanded it for another season it might have been really good AU, but season 1 was the epitome of mediocre.

Its harder to define if segments just mean a shorter series of episodes because even the shittier ones can have back to back pretty good episodes and then turn to poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Turn-A Gundam.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yossarian-22 posted:

The best part of Pokemon was the episodes where the cast fought Sabrina and got trapped in her dollhouse/died trying to capture ghost type pokemon

Now I'm remembering how stupid the original games were bc ghost type moves were supposed to be strong against psychic types yet there were no traditional ghost type moves whatsoever, and the ghosts were all part poison so got absolutely hosed by psychics

Same with Bug types too, IIRC. You had some pure bug type pokemon, but the only one who learned a bug type attack was Beedrill who was also part-poison.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kneelbeforezog posted:

Pink jacket Lupin.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The best part of dragon Ball GT is the theme song

The Japanese one not the US one

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

you all owe it to yourselves to watch Gundam Thunderbolt even if you know nothing about Gundams

it’s easily the most palatable and stylish introduction to the myriad of shows

and it gets the point of Gundam across in like an hour

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
why is there no dub of stardust crusaders anywhere right now? I have to go to some third-rate kiss anime clone to find it. annoying. I just wanna listen to Joseph joestar go "OH MY GOD" in english

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
While the redrawn scenes in Kai look loving terrible, I think it's way easier to watch than DBZ. I exposed my friend to DBZ through Kai the first time he saw it and I just pulled up the funny filler episodes on youtube (like the driving episode). I tried to really empathize the lead-up to the Android Saga was like 4 months of ads about rebuilding Frieza to make him stronger then him getting loving murked in 30 seconds created some huge whiplash back when I was a kid.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Saw one of those this is what you think X looked like 20 years ago, this is what is actually was 20 yeara ago with anime, and Dirty Pair and Naruto being the two examples, and I hit to say ita a shame Dirty Pair isn't streaming anywhere

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

star eater posted:

why is there no dub of stardust crusaders anywhere right now? I have to go to some third-rate kiss anime clone to find it. annoying. I just wanna listen to Joseph joestar go "OH MY GOD" in english

i thought netflix licensed it

matt mercer's a pretty good jotaro

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Declan MacManus posted:

i thought netflix licensed it

matt mercer's a pretty good jotaro

netflix's license for stardust crusaders ran out on march 27th maybe they renewed it, I haven't looked.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If you consider "segments" as like entire seasons or whatever then ironblooded orphans is probably one of the most consistently good AUs on the fact that the sequel didnt poo poo itself. If Build Divers had started out with Season 2s concept and expanded it for another season it might have been really good AU, but season 1 was the epitome of mediocre.

Its harder to define if segments just mean a shorter series of episodes because even the shittier ones can have back to back pretty good episodes and then turn to poo poo.

I watched IBO after all of it had already come out so it’s weird to me that people consider it to have two seasons. I guess it technically does, but season 2 is just more IBO. It’s not really a sequel, it just continues the story. The dumb harem ship is incredibly cringy and I think that’s all in season 2 though so it’s not as good as season 1.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Saw one of those this is what you think X looked like 20 years ago, this is what is actually was 20 yeara ago with anime, and Dirty Pair and Naruto being the two examples, and I hit to say ita a shame Dirty Pair isn't streaming anywhere

Dirty Pair: Project Eden is legally on youtube at least, it has been helpful since it's easy for me to just link that to pals and tell them: this is the good poo poo right here, watch it.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

star eater posted:

Good news for you about the sub of stardust crusaders

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Kit Walker posted:

Seirei no Moribito. Mid fantasy show about an incredibly badass lady bodyguard who swore to save 8 lives to make up for 8 that were lost. Her last job ends up being to rescue the second crown prince who has found himself bearing a water spirit that will bring a great drought to the country, according to official state history. As a result he’s marked for death by the Emperor. It’s a primarily character-driven coming-of-age show about family, with the occasional really cool fight scene, some gorgeous supernatural poo poo, and a genuinely strong female protagonist who isn’t sexualized. To not spoil too much, it also has a happy ending

I love this show. I watched it again last year and it still holds up. one of the things I like about it is that there is no villain, just antagonists. everyone is doing what they think is the right thing with the limited information they have.

Planetes is another good one. Space garbage collectors saving the world one piece of debris at a time

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

theCalamity posted:

I love this show. I watched it again last year and it still holds up. one of the things I like about it is that there is no villain, just antagonists. everyone is doing what they think is the right thing with the limited information they have.

Planetes is another good one. Space garbage collectors saving the world one piece of debris at a time

You're underselling it. The show explicitly depicts class and colonial conflict and frames them as such. (Though ultimately there's no change in the status quo)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bootleg Trunks posted:

The best part of dragon Ball GT is the theme song

The Japanese one not the US one

Oh man the opening and a few of the endings are superb, such a shame they got wasted on a wet farts of a show

When it comes to gundam, I enjoyed the original (with Char's Counterattack), 0080, 0083, and 8th MS Team the most

Subs are perfectly fine obviously but I do appreciate these shows all having solid dubs (for the most part)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Srice posted:

Dirty Pair: Project Eden is legally on youtube at least, it has been helpful since it's easy for me to just link that to pals and tell them: this is the good poo poo right here, watch it.

I didn't realize that, going to have to watch that again

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I thought the first 8 episodes of Season 4 of Attack on Titan were really good at criticizing war and nationalism and stuff but then it got more fascist-y and then went back and forth.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

pillsburysoldier posted:

I thought the first 8 episodes of Season 4 of Attack on Titan were really good at criticizing war and nationalism and stuff but then it got more fascist-y and then went back and forth.

I’m still at a complete loss as to how the show is going to end except I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be real bad for a lot of people. The only heroic figures left right now are all either dead or jailed and I think Armin is gonna be the dude who sorts everything out

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

star eater posted:

old Joseph is voiced by the same guy who does raiden in mortal kombat and it's a true pleasure to listen to

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIT SHAO KHAN MUST WIN

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TIL there was an attempt to dub Legend of the Galactic Heroes with Ocean Studios and im now super sad it never materialized because it sounds like it would have been pretty good given the era it was pitched

https://www.veoh.com/watch/v142025789msdEXkrh

Tbh i wish the series has a better title though :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kit Walker posted:

I’m still at a complete loss as to how the show is going to end except I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be real bad for a lot of people. The only heroic figures left right now are all either dead or jailed and I think Armin is gonna be the dude who sorts everything out

As a manga reader I'll just say there's a lot riding on the last chapter but generally speaking I think the narrative's opinion on fascism as an ideology is pretty clear and, while sympathetic and understanding to a degree as to why people go down that road, not supportive of it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/news/dragon-ball-z-actor-freeza-christopher-ayres-hospital/

normal country, i bet even king cold gave his people healthcare

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Buck Wildman posted:

old Joseph is voiced by the same guy who does raiden in mortal kombat and it's a true pleasure to listen to

Richard Epcar. He also voices Batou in the dubs of the two GitS movies and GitS SAC.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

christmas boots posted:

As a manga reader I'll just say there's a lot riding on the last chapter but generally speaking I think the narrative's opinion on fascism as an ideology is pretty clear and, while sympathetic and understanding to a degree as to why people go down that road, not supportive of it.

I thought how they built, early on, that there was a LOT of tension in the motivations of a lot of characters blimping in to Marley was really great story telling. Everyone is friends....for now, and they didnt really know at the time how divergent things would get.

All the stuff following Falco and Gabi is absolutely loving brilliant.

Havent read the manga. Dont intend to.

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Apr 2, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kit Walker posted:

Poor loving Bertolt. In any other story he'd be that hero. They never had a chance, the way they were raised

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
hell yeah

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1378135256054820865?s=20

In honor of this momentous news lets all enjoy what is, bafflingly, the highest quality copy of the Kamen Rider W OP on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nZkQ8OJkM

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Pulcinella posted:

Richard Epcar. He also voices Batou in the dubs of the two GitS movies and GitS SAC.

i went to a panel that was just him and his wife talking about how voice acting/directing etc changed over the last 30 years, they were way cute with each other

it was also a 10am on the last day of the con panel so it was like 15 people in the audience max so they were very casual, it was a really good time, i miss anime cons lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fuuto pi is strange because it gives shotaro a mysterious female(!!!!!) love interest despite his happy marriage to philip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the OG Dragon Ball anime is legitimately good provided you get the dub version