Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
After about a dozen runs on my AB+ complete save file, I have to ask - when do damage upgrades unlock? Nothing says Isaac like having the D6 and Goat Head and still running with slightly-above base damage on the Womb. I'd love to see these new floors when it's not taking me four minutes to clear each room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
just unlocked bethany and shes a really cool character, but something just happened that soured me.

found blank card on store, good. see a playing card, take a gamble hoping it's 2 of diamonds. it is! so i take it, and hit spacebar. Blank card turns into like a 10 charge active item upon use.

I get why they do this. Blank card + 2 of diamonds is busted as gently caress. But one of the really cool things about isaac is how straightforward and logical some of the item combos were. now there seems to be conditions and edge cases and blah blah. lame as poo poo, man.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I was thinking about the changes that displease me, like not being able to cheese the cost of devil deals or the boss sword room, and yeah, they still displease me, but if this hadn't come out the alternative would have been 'never play isaac again', so I'll live.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Finally beat the new boss!!! And now there's this door thing. Hm. I'll get to that tonight I guess.

My favorite design decision so far(sincere) is the bit where you become The Lost and go through the mirror. I love it cause you can go and try to get consumables and maybe previously inaccessible areas or check the curse room or even fight the boss again for a new boss item...but if you die your run ends. That's the kind of thing I like. It's good difficulty.

The chase bit is cool too but itd be neat if it incorporated some of those elements from the Lost section. Like maybe there could be an item pedestal and you could use some of the spawned bombs to try to make a path to it but put your life at risk. That section will become tedious. But the Lost section in downpour/dross will always be great.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Only played a couple of hours of repentance, it doesn't feel hugely different but i do love the new sound effects on the coin

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I was actually pretty relieved when I found out they increased enemy shot speeds and charging speeds while reducing tinted rocks on hard mode, I thought I’d gone horribly rusty when I died before Mom on my first run on a fresh file.

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
It's going to take a while to work out what's especially good with Bethany's book. Box of spiders goes from fairly decent to absolutely ridiculous

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

pumpinglemma posted:

I was actually pretty relieved when I found out they increased enemy shot speeds and charging speeds while reducing tinted rocks on hard mode, I thought I’d gone horribly rusty when I died before Mom on my first run on a fresh file.

This is very relieving to hear.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I hope they balanced some trinkets, too, because I just picked up Equality and didn't see anything different.

Just dogshit of a pickup. Why make a trinket that gives a miniscule reward in extremely rare situations and getting the reward makes it hard to use it a second time.

In the other hand, if you pick up Guppy's head with Bethany it does the following:
Turns her Book of Virtues into a one-bar charge
Adds multiple spirits per use
When spirits die they turn into blue flies

Also noticed you can no longer 2-for-1 the blood donation machines or demon beggars

Overall, I'm fine with a lot of the nerfs. Abusing blank card, D20, D6, 2 of diamonds, etc is a boring way to play and slows the game. That's lame. I get that it can be fun to get game-breaking builds, but it shouldn't be easy, it shouldn't happen every game, and spending an entire run just trying to roll the same few items feels dumb.

And to throw in another unpopular opinion, I'm perfectly fine with devs changing the game to get it closer to their intended experience. In a system with so many moving parts it will become inevitable that some pieces will interact unexpectedly and need to be fixed. If the designer's vision is X but there are things players can do consistently to make it Y, then sure, adjust it.

"But who cares! It's single-player (mainly)"

Even one player games are made with a certain design perspective, right? If in Dark Souls there was an unexpected tactic wherein you could run in circles for thirty minutes in the first area and then become invincible for the rest of the game, would anyone fault the creators for changing it?

"But you don't HAVE to do that"

No, maybe not, but it's like games that include DLC upgrades in the GOTY edition. Sure, new players don't HAVE TO use the +10 Axe of Doom that will one-shot any enemy in the entire first half of the game, and it's just sitting there in their inventory for free at the start of the game... but it becomes very tempting to do so.

The original mentality behind D6/D20 was probably "Hey, there are a lot of items in this game, and this item will let you reroll one and maybe get something better for your run, but maybe not." Not "spend 20 minutes on one floor, maximizing every room charge, battery drop, and coin to get one or two extra rerolls so I can try and force the devil room to drop brimstone because I can't handle playing the game without it."

Rant over. And I'm totally aware that some people absolutely, 100% think I'm an idiot. But there ARE differing views on balance and game-breaking combos.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
Haven't played since the first DLC, beat mom on attempt three on a fresh save file. I'm, ah, pretty good at this. Another tally mark in the 'completed' column.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
DLC rocks. The game is harder in general but I love it. Even managed to unlock one of the new characters pretty early and I dig her ability.

Fun bug I found with her: When I picked up BFFS my wisp minion's sprite expanded to a size larger than the screen and vanished, casting a shadow across the entire room. Every other wisp summoned would do the same for the rest of the run.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Eclipse12 posted:

I hope they balanced some trinkets, too, because I just picked up Equality and didn't see anything different.

Just dogshit of a pickup. Why make a trinket that gives a miniscule reward in extremely rare situations and getting the reward makes it hard to use it a second time.

In the other hand, if you pick up Guppy's head with Bethany it does the following:

Also noticed you can no longer 2-for-1 the blood donation machines or demon beggars

Overall, I'm fine with a lot of the nerfs. Abusing blank card, D20, D6, 2 of diamonds, etc is a boring way to play and slows the game. That's lame. I get that it can be fun to get game-breaking builds, but it shouldn't be easy, it shouldn't happen every game, and spending an entire run just trying to roll the same few items feels dumb.

And to throw in another unpopular opinion, I'm perfectly fine with devs changing the game to get it closer to their intended experience. In a system with so many moving parts it will become inevitable that some pieces will interact unexpectedly and need to be fixed. If the designer's vision is X but there are things players can do consistently to make it Y, then sure, adjust it.

Even one player games are made with a certain design perspective, right? If in Dark Souls there was an unexpected tactic wherein you could run in circles for thirty minutes in the first area and then become invincible for the rest of the game, would anyone fault the creators for changing it?

No, maybe not, but it's like games that include DLC upgrades in the GOTY edition. Sure, new players don't HAVE TO use the +10 Axe of Doom that will one-shot any enemy in the entire first half of the game, and it's just sitting there in their inventory for free at the start of the game... but it becomes very tempting to do so.

The original mentality behind D6/D20 was probably "Hey, there are a lot of items in this game, and this item will let you reroll one and maybe get something better for your run, but maybe not." Not "spend 20 minutes on one floor, maximizing every room charge, battery drop, and coin to get one or two extra rerolls so I can try and force the devil room to drop brimstone because I can't handle playing the game without it."

Rant over. And I'm totally aware that some people absolutely, 100% think I'm an idiot. But there ARE differing views on balance and game-breaking combos.

dude i said already that the blank card and 2 of diamonds combo is broken poo poo. I know why they do these changes. what i dont appreicate is the inconsistency of it. id rather they figured out something other than suddenly the charge time is 12 rooms because you used one specific card. i feel it goes against one of the best things about isaac, in that if you can understand how the items work you can reach logical conclusions; if i take damage and spit out a coin with piggy bank, and all spawned coins are doubled with humble bundle, it should logically follow having both items would result in double payout. this is like going "oh but if you use blood donation machines with this combo uhh it only drops regular coins!!"
it rubs me the wrong way is all

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think Ed, yet again, overcompensated much too hard and he keeps fighting against 10 years of people going "No, THIS is why your game is fun" and I find a lot of that really annoying

But it doesn't matter since it can all be modded away, so soon enough we'll see rebalance packs that adds back in all the breaks. So I can put up with the eye-roll changes right now. There's just so much to see and do.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Eclipse12 posted:

Yes, but your views are specifically that the views of others should be removed from the game despite not affecting the way you play the game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also Blank Card 2 of diamonds likely still breaks the game, it’s just now more obnoxious to do. Find a shop with a battery in it, double your hopefully around 15-30 coins pick up battery double your coins again. Now you’re at nearly max coins and you just have to manage your shop refilling and spending as well as purchase batteries as you find them.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Yes, but your views are specifically that the views of others should be removed from the game despite not affecting the way you play the game.
this is sort of a moot point, isn't it? like any change they do to the game ever would likely be against how someone plays. i'm sure someone out there liked the way glass cannon worked prior to the buffs or pre-buff keeper.

anyways, DLC's mostly good. biggest complaints is that Hard Mode was made harder by layering on more RNG. the shop downgrade should be removed and replaced with something more sensible, and curse of darkness/curse of the blind needs to go.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think part of the new difficulty is due to incorporating Antibirth, which was harder than vanilla Isaac already, and then tweaking all the previously existing combos. The under the hood changes of less soul heart frequency, decreased pool chances of good items, and the ability to get downgraded shops makes Hard mode actually Hard (tm) again. Scarcity of resources seems to matter more to me than item combos.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Lmfao, how are you even supposed to beat the final phase of the actual final boss as one of the newish characters, alternative Lost, who starts without holy mantle? I barely managed to win as the Forgotten with 4.5 volt, book of revelations and bot fly destroying half of the projectiles

Also the new reward from Bloody Mary is incredible, you can face tank everything, as long as you don't stop killing

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Picked up the DLC and been playing it, drat if Bethany ain't hard as balls. No soul hearts is brutal for trying to get Angel rooms, especially with a bunch of enemies getting increased shot speed on hard.

Overall enjoying the DLC, reading the patch notes a lot of things got changed I wasn't expecting or thinking about. Was a bit disappointed some stuff got a pretty hefty nerf that seemed fine overall but thems the breaks, plenty of buffs of weak things to compensate.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also Blank Card 2 of diamonds likely still breaks the game, it’s just now more obnoxious to do. Find a shop with a battery in it, double your hopefully around 15-30 coins pick up battery double your coins again. Now you’re at nearly max coins and you just have to manage your shop refilling and spending as well as purchase batteries as you find them.

Shop Restock now increases the cost of every item in the shop apparently every time it occurs, and two Steam Sales no longer make everything free forever, it just increases the discount even further.

I haven't seen it in action yet but seems like snapping the game over your knee via shop shenanigans is now much harder.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
anyway gonna copypaste some thoughts from different thread

ArfJason posted:

thoughts so far

stuff that was pretty much literally worthless like shard of glass is now a decent item, but probably something id reroll since it still required to get hit to trigger. on the flipside, stuff that was busted like serpent's kiss is now so nerfed its insanely boring.
theres still poo poo like scolex taking fifty billion years to kill because its an awfully designed boss, and ive had at least 3 runs, one up to mausoleum, and two to the womb where i was stuck with base damage completely unable to fight back the tide which is isaac at its most miserable; the mines spider boss took 3 minutes to kill and a Crown Champion monster in scarred womb took 1 minute. a single champion enemy.
Hard mode has been made a lot harder. it seems consumables drop a lot less often, tinted rocks are rarer than white lions, and most difficult of all a whole bunch of enemy projectiles have been sped up. For some reason my shops are usually only 3 items, and almost never have soul hearts. coupled with the lack of tinted rocks, getting devil rooms is a whole bunch harder. I heard that its recommended to try the antibirth floors in normal difficulty first, and there might be merit to that.

some of the new items are really cool, and a bunch of stage gimmicks and enemies are very clever, though there seems to be a bunch of enemies that rush you super fast, sometimes outside of your view in large rooms that it can feel exhausting.

Also i never really liked ridiculon's ost, but the downpour track is great. i regret unlocking dross becuse its track is a big downgrade

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Fair enough point

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Gold chests seem to drop more items(?) And definitely have a different pool that's not just "decapitated heads"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Einwand posted:

There's some extremely wild unlocks deep in the new content. "A Strange Door" related Variant characters that seem to be bizarre challenge characters, all of them have their own post-it notes. Alt Jacob is just a lone character that starts with a rechargable consumable item, and after a short bit a hell spirit Esau burst out of the floor and starts chasing you around the map, if you kill him or he hits you it turns you into the lost until next floor. I can only wonder what sort of nonsense the others have. Alt Azazel basically just takes away his wings and gives you skinny normal brimstone.

Apparently this is what the "34" ARG was about.
17+17=34 characters

Jusupov posted:

Any clips of these in action?

I haven't seen any videos yet but there are screenshots.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

has anyone tried out the co op yet?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I love that curse doors, sacrifice rooms, and mimic chests no longer count against devil deals

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Evil Kit posted:

Shop Restock now increases the cost of every item in the shop apparently every time it occurs, and two Steam Sales no longer make everything free forever, it just increases the discount even further.

I haven't seen it in action yet but seems like snapping the game over your knee via shop shenanigans is now much harder.

This is a bad change, you already spend money to refill the shop there is no need to also make it increases the cost of every item in the shop.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Beat the new end boss on my first attempt :smug:

Not really through actual skill though. Had brimstone, hemylacrya, cursed eye.

Also it took me like a dozen attempts just to get to the final biome. I also pulled the "completed knife, now down to Depth 2" maneuver more than once :ughh:

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 1, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Honestly I think the issue is because of how the game is actually built (especially the harder bosses) you kind of need to either be able to consistently break it open or never beat those more interesting challenges.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

someone awful. posted:

has anyone tried out the co op yet?

I've been playing co-op with my brother. The Steam Remote Play works surprisingly well for how mediocre my internet is. It's been a blast running through with two separate builds going at once, even if it's kind of a logistical nightmare.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Knocked out a few hours last night. Bethany is interesting and fun. Will take a bit to really understand her strengths. There are changes that show the Ed still doesn't know what makes Isaac fun. Shop restock increasing the cost of items each time is his way of trying to stop shop breaking. I also noticed that the single heart challenge rooms no longer open if you only have soul hearts. Over all the now art changes are great and hard mode is fun but Ed needs to accept that breaking the game and super OP builds are part of the Isaac fun and he needs to stop trying to nerf everything to prevent it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The single-heart boss trap rooms are harder to get into now, but like flash-isaac they now always have an item--an acceptable change imo. But yeah i agree theyve made it a little too frustrating to get ahead in some ways.

Only cool thing about new curse of darkness? Sun card gets rid of it! Makes sense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've gotten several broken runs in about a dozen Repentance runs. Maybe I'm just getting lucky though.

Does it seem like Brimstone's drop rate has increased but the item itself took a bit of a damage nerf? I'm seeing it a lot.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I was hoping they would've changed up Mama Gurdy's spike attack a bit to make it easier to see where the spikes would pop up but I'm probably just bad at avoiding that attack.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

You know what I haven't seen in a long, long, looooong time?

A black market

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is a bad change, you already spend money to refill the shop there is no need to also make it increases the cost of every item in the shop.

I think it might just be the specific item rather than the Shop Restock machine that (now spawns much more rarely) causes the exponential cost growth. The restock machine also immediately explodes if you bomb it, though it does give the one restock in doing so.

The Deep Pockets item also got changed to increase the money cap to 999 so now shop exploitation just takes an extra few items instead of just two or three basically.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lol yeah when i bought deep pockets and saw that extra 0 pop up i smiled like a dumbass

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I also noticed gold chests paying out in items more frequently, and im extrenely glad boss trap rooms give an item, but so far ive only gotten syringes out of them

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Having read that giant changelog, definitely feeling like I made the right choice to wait and see. Some of the changes are sensible, but a lot of them are just needlessly petty and Stop Having Fun over actually being well considered.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

I also noticed gold chests paying out in items more frequently, and im extrenely glad boss trap rooms give an item, but so far ive only gotten syringes out of them

Yeah, agree on the gold chests. The gold chest item pool seems to have expanded a lot though, so it's watered down a bit.

I love going back to items in boss trap rooms. Taking them out was one of the worst changes from flash Isaac to Rebirth. But I have not figured out how to get into them. I've seen them closed at zero red hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Have they given any indication how long they think it'll take to work out the problems and turn mods on for Repentance? Are we talking a week or two? Months?