Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah the village rampages don't even give red checkmarks to soothe that completionist part of your brain since it's all random, so there's literally no reason to do them by yourself unless the game forces you.

I did the one required one for village that was basically a tutorial and the required one for hub and never touched them again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know this is controversial but looking over the armor sets in this game just makes me wish Attack Boost didn't exist. I like the idea that I can put on like full Kulu armor and have a solid hunting horn build or Barioth for a greatsword build but in the back of my mind I'm always gonna be like, "Yeah but I could be doing more damage." Attack Boost is even stronger now! The higher levels of it give a percentage boost to your attack on top of a flat bonus.

I realize that's mostly on me and that I by no means need optimal damage in my builds. Realistically, at my level of skill, I'd probably get more extra damage out of something like a Power Prolonger build on my IG than I would out of Attack Boost/Crit Eye/Weakness Exploit/Crit Boost just because it'd let me have the triple buff up for that much longer and spend less time gathering extracts. Just gotta recalibrate my brain probably.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 1, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I have very limited irl friends time and this week we met up and played 7 hours straight of in person monster hunter game owns

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

I know this is controversial but looking over the armor sets in this game just makes me wish Attack Boost didn't exist. I like the idea that I can put on like full Kulu armor and have a solid hunting horn build or Barioth for a greatsword build but in the back of my mind I'm always gonna be like, "Yeah but I could be doing more damage." Attack Boost is even stronger now! The higher levels of it give a percentage boost to your attack on top of a flat bonus.

I realize that's mostly on me and that I by no means need optimal damage in my builds. Realistically, at my level of skill, I'd probably get more extra damage out of something like a Power Prolonger build on my IG than I would out of Attack Boost/Crit Eye/Weakness Exploit/Crit Boost just because it'd let me have the triple buff up for that much longer and spend less time gathering extracts. Just gotta recalibrate my brain probably.

That stuff is for when you get bored and want to see bug numbers.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Tender Bender posted:

I mean that's all correct but if this is the thing players grind when they've gone through all of LR and HR then why does it matter? It's bad design but there's no reason to engage in it.

My main problem is the complete reliance on melding. If you could get charms from doing whatever it would be fine, the rng is worse than ever but you could just forget about it and be pleasantly surprised when something good shows up at the end of a quest. But with them only coming from melding and melding requiring massive amounts of monster parts/rampage tickets you have to constantly engage with the system if you want to ever have anything decent.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Eventually I hope you can just craft AB decos and slot AB7 into anything you want.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A hunting horn and hammer player together both with slugger 3 will just knockdown everything always

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ethiser posted:

The high rank Rhenopolos armor has Artillery on it.

Thanks!

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Anja set seems tailor made for hammer since it has skills that reduce steady stamina consumption, makes charge go faster and makes it easier to stun enemies. I just need that drat plate

Would definitely recommend running a gathering Palico, or even two, when doing stuff like this. I just did the same but for its Gem. I ended up getting it but not even from a hunt, I took one down during an expedition whilst I was getting a Firecell Stone for another part of it and one of my palicos plundered one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

Eventually I hope you can just craft AB decos and slot AB7 into anything you want.

AB decos are craftable, though you won't have enough slots to fit ab7 unless you have a sick charm

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

Fwiw the marginal boost on Attack IV is the biggest so you can get to that and then drop out of it for a better marginal boost elsewhere.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
They're gonna make us pay for the PRANCE emote, aren't they.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've literally never felt the need for attack boost skills in MH games because having evade improvements, stun or roar reduction, slugger, etc. is SO much more useful. As far as I'm concerned having more time to hit a monster because it's down or you're not having to heal might as well be an attack boost. Hell, one of my favorite builds from MHW was a wide-range S&S build where I would play healer in multiplayer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sloth Socks posted:

They know I’ll pay whatever for it. I hope the palamute does this when you prance:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Good news, almost every set wants 3-4 Attack boost decos and maybe the Rath gloves. Everyone is gunning for their special skils this game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sloth Socks posted:

They're gonna put it behind an amiibo that will have a production run of 1000 units.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah, you can definitely craft Attack decos, and probably have enough slots to get at least AB4 into things, which as Natural 20 points out is a good breakpoint since it's when the percentage attack boost kicks in.

Stormgale posted:

Good news, almost every set wants 3-4 Attack boost decos and maybe the Rath gloves. Everyone is gunning for their special skils this game.

Special skills are the most fun so if it turns out it's also "optimal" to do that then that'll soothe my dumb brain a little bit at least.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Harrow posted:

playable wyverians when

Playable wyverns when? Monster Hunter: Reverse

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do the monsters from World have the same weapon design from World? I just noticed Pukei's SnS is the same from World with that Iron Weapon with monster bits attached to them look. Will it change into something else later?

I want my friend to have a better looking weapon made from his body. :mad:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Monster Hunter: Fall

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Playable wyverns when? Monster Hunter: Reverse

they're playable in this game pal

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This thread moves so fast. I'm only a day behind on posts but that's like 12 pages. Apologies for responding to old poo poo.

Kilazar posted:

Whats with the butterflies around the mons in multi mon missions?

Doing the sumofrog/volvi The Hottest Around, and they both have red butterflies following them.

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I think these are Echo Bats or something like that? They’re all over the volcano. Not sure exactly what they do, seems like they maybe distract the monster in some way.

If a monster runs through the bats (either on their own or while you're riding them), the bats will stick to the monster. The next time another monster hits the monster with bats on them (or if you slam your monster vehicle into another monster), they explode.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just decided to tackle Anjanath over lunch and got a plate on my second one 🙏

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just decided to tackle Anjanath over lunch and got a plate on my second one 🙏

:blessed:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
What's up with those birds you can collect on the map.

Also I see "Lucky Life Found" sometimes and I have no idea what that means.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sucks that the hunting horn armor is the kula set from the beginning of the game. I’ve decided to make the nargacuga set just because I’m tired of looking like an extra from the Aladdin stage play.

To be fair, the only thing that's really core to horn is Mastero, which is pretty painless to do in deco / charm slots. You could pretty easily run Narga armor (which is handy because Dodge is your only real defense) or Rathalos as a generic attacker armor that you can then slot in slugger/partbreaker/ect as needed.

Speaking of Deco slots - does anyone know if the Slide Affinity deco works for the S&S Slide attack switch skill or the Charge blade slide attack?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Nargacuga armor just piling on the evade skills is pretty great and I kind of love the idea of wearing the ninja monster armor and just dodging all over the place.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do the monsters from World have the same weapon design from World? I just noticed Pukei's SnS is the same from World with that Iron Weapon with monster bits attached to them look. Will it change into something else later?

I want my friend to have a better looking weapon made from his body. :mad:

They're not gonna re-design the world-specific weapons since they already exist. Anything else that got a cool design is recycled from a past game or for a new monster.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

It means you are relatively close to one of the special birds. Look at your minimap and try to home in on it, if you interact with it, you'll get a buff that increases quest rewards. (Zenny or Loot, depending on the bird.)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

That message means you spotted one, but you still have to go pick it up. One of the birds increases rewards at the end of a hunt, the other increases money

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm rocking 5 piece Volvidon S and a para swagaxe and having a great time with all that Evade Extender. I'm not sure I'm using the Rapid Morph skill to its best extent, though - since the morph attack from Wild Swing is in two parts now it doesn't speed the actual swings up. What other morph attacks are worth using to take advantage?

(high rank hub Aknosom solo in just under 8 minutes. pretty drat good by my standards :toot: but I bet it could be better - with your help!!)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kagrenac posted:

My main problem is the complete reliance on melding. If you could get charms from doing whatever it would be fine, the rng is worse than ever but you could just forget about it and be pleasantly surprised when something good shows up at the end of a quest. But with them only coming from melding and melding requiring massive amounts of monster parts/rampage tickets you have to constantly engage with the system if you want to ever have anything decent.

Oh for sure. It's very poor design, I think you gotta just write it off for the sake of sanity.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Am I misremembering here or do you get a LOT more monster rewards solo than grouped in Hub, even discounting the Palico coming along? That doesn't seem right...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Eventually they'll add some event quest that gives melding tickets that you can use to feed into the talisman machine really easily and all will be forgiven.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

DeathSandwich posted:

Speaking of Deco slots - does anyone know if the Slide Affinity deco works for the S&S Slide attack switch skill or the Charge blade slide attack?

It did not work for them in World, so it's probably safe to assume it won't work for them in Rise either.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm not really clear on which armor sets I should be using. I'm maining Switch Axe and I'm on 5* village hunts. I'm using a mix of Sinister, Channeler, and Narcacuga armor that gives me stuff like Resentment and Counterattack which is fun stuff, but probably not highly effective.

It's really hard to tell because so far the game hasn't given me much pushback. I almost wish it were harder so I could generate a clearer idea of ways my strategy is lacking.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm not really clear on which armor sets I should be using. I'm maining Switch Axe and I'm on 5* village hunts. I'm using a mix of Sinister, Channeler, and Narcacuga armor that gives me stuff like Resentment and Counterattack which is fun stuff, but probably not highly effective.

It's really hard to tell because so far the game hasn't given me much pushback. I almost wish it were harder so I could generate a clearer idea of ways my strategy is lacking.
your gear isn't really your strategy in monster hunter; your own skills are

which is to say once you're good enough at the game armor sets only really serve to make hunts shorter, not make hunts possible

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Village is designed to be a very gradual tutorial for the maps and varieties of monsters, you're not wrong to note that it's pulling the punches a wee bit. If you're looking for a more challenging but still manageable fight to see where your strategies might be lacking, the Hub quests are there!

They're scaled by the number of people in the quest, so don't be scared to hop into one and see what the hubbub is. :3:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have ditched Longsword and Dual Blades both.
It's the sword and shield life for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

just tell yourself this isn't G rank so you're only boosting rather smallish base numbers