Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

former glory posted:

The other day he pinned my queen when I spotted him queen odds and wasn't paying full attention. That raised an eyebrow a bit.
Do you mean he spotted you queen odds if you are the one with a queen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

No, we probably did promotion or something, I just mean that he gets the idea that it can't move when he pins it on the king - just seems tricky. He had one tonight where he moved a bishop to hit queen and xray (?) to a rook, too bad about the pawn guarding the square, but cool to see anyway.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I got my first on-purpose in-live-game four move checkmate! Not puzzle, not correspondence, no unlimited time, not something I lucked into because my position was overwhelming, I saw the line and went for it aaaa!

Sure it's pretty easy but I never ever saw these before. Normally I'd go to Analysis after the game and the computer was like "Yo you got forced checkmate here man, why care about some other piece?"

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
What was your plan if he had just taken your Bishop?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

That would've been okay and honestly what I was expecting - my Bishop was only there because I was taking their light squared Bishop. I was originally just "Okay, force the bishop trade, open the file for my Queen, try to get Rooks involved by pushing pawns to open more files on that side. Oh they didn't take I should move my Bishop...back..................wait a minute....is this forced mate?? CAN I SEE A FORCED MATE"

I felt like the climax of a sports film

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Aggro posted:

Qxa6+ Kb8 2. Qb7#

Nice one, I also almost always miss checkmates, and the analysis afterwards is not very helpful. "You captured your opponent's rook? You fool. You imbecile. Could have had a forced mate in seven."

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Chamale posted:

Qxa6+ Kb8 2. Qb7#[sic]
Kxb7

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oh, now I see the question was from before the opponent moved b6. Yeah, that does seem like a problem.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aggro posted:

It's kind of interesting because white's up a pawn but has a slight issue with their rooks being inactive. One straightforward plan after bxc6 is to play Qc4, forcing Kb7, and then b4=>Rb1=>Rb3=>Ra3 targeting the weak a6 pawn. It's a bit caveman but you don't make any weaknesses and I don't think black's counter attacking with any speed.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 31, 2021

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Hand Knit posted:

It's kind of interesting because white's up a pawn but has a slight issue with their rooks being inactive. One straightforward plan after bxc6 is to play Qc4, forcing Kb7, and then b4=>Rb1=>Rb3=>Ra3 targeting the weak a6 pawn. It's a bit caveman but you don't make any weaknesses and I don't think black's counter attacking with any speed.

It's interesting because I plugged it into Stockfish, who feels that White is clearly winning after bxc6.

I would also anticipate Black playing Bxf4, forcing exf4, which I would think negates some of White's kingside pawn advantage. Surprisingly, Stockfish still thinks White is great after that move. Hell, it thinks White is great if White plays Bxd6 cxd6, restoring Black's pawn structure, so I don't know poo poo.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Aggro posted:

It's interesting because I plugged it into Stockfish, who feels that White is clearly winning after bxc6.

White's up a pawn with no positional weaknesses, and black has a serious weakness. It would be surprising if a computer didn't find the position winning. But in practice it can become difficult, because the optimal moves are not very obvious and rook endgames can become very drawn very quickly.

I went looking for a game where I managed something like this against a far superior opponent and couldn't find it so here's a pgn of me playing noted streamer Nemo Zhou back when she was like 8 years old or something.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.g3 Bg7 7.Bg2 O-O 8.O-O Bd7 9.h3 Nc6 10.Nde2 a6 11.a4 Qc8 12.Kh2 Qc7 13.Nd5 Nxd5 14.exd5 Ne5 15.Nd4 b5 16.axb5 axb5 17.Rxa8 Rxa8 18.c3 Qb7 19.Re1 Bf8 20.b3 Be8 21.Qe2 b4 22.c4 Rc8 23.Bd2 Qb6 24.Be3 Qa5 25.f4 Nd7 26.Nc6 Qa3 27.Bd4 Qxb3 28.Na5 Qa4 29.Ra1 Qxa1 30.Bxa1 Nc5 31.Qb2 f6 32.Qxb4 Bd7 33.Bd4 1-0

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

former glory posted:

I might grab that one next. Either that or an endgames book, because I think Handknit made a lot of sense when he said the Soviet system starts from there since the game inevitably progresses to that point. Now that a player has to buy me dinner most of the time before they can fork my queen :smuggo: , I see those more often. I got back into the Tactics book and I'm really enjoying it now. He has an engaging style and his tests are really well thought out.

His older sister is super into it so that translates to enthusiasm on his side - I think that's the biggest factor. That and he really likes the battle/war angle of it. The other day he jumped into the kitchen behind me with both his fists cocked up ready to fight and yelled "I'm a Fianchettoed bishop!! ARHHHH" I think he got that from a chesskid lesson, lol.

Yeah endgames are theoretically the heart of the game.
I originally started learning chess from such books (German tradition is very similar to Russian in this respect), and gave up on playing chess before playing more then 10 games several times.
Then I just did the lichess tutorial and started playing games and actually got interested in chess.

Still the only physical chessbook I own is tarasch's, mostly because it goes for 5€ for a hardcover due to being out of copyright.
It goes endgame, middlegame, openings in order.
And by starting with engames I mean that the section on winning Q vs R is followed by the line: The figure that looks like a horse is called a knight and moves like this...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I learned endgames as a kid and never got really into chess. Now I have a favourite opening, and know how I like to respond to the common White openings, so I enjoy the game a lot more. My objective still tends to be entering the endgame with a small advantage so that I can promote a pawn first. I'm still not a good player, though.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I have a small question from a recent game.

I got this position as black:

I played 7 ... Nxe4, figuring, hey, free pawn, and a central square for my knight.

Stockfish says that's an inaccuracy, and strongly recommends 7. ... b5 instead, forcing the bishop to retreat (8. Bb3 Nd4).

I guess my problem is that I don't really understand why b5 is so much better than Nxe4. Is it just that it breaks the pin, and also restricts the white bishop?

The engine line after Nxe4 is 8. Nb4 Bd7 9. Nxc6 Bxc6 10. Bxc6 bxc6, although that's not what my opponent did. (They blundered their queen on move 14 and resigned. This was uh not a high level game).

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

rollick posted:

I have a small question from a recent game.

I got this position as black:

I played 7 ... Nxe4, figuring, hey, free pawn, and a central square for my knight.

Stockfish says that's an inaccuracy, and strongly recommends 7. ... b5 instead, forcing the bishop to retreat (8. Bb3 Nd4).

I guess my problem is that I don't really understand why b5 is so much better than Nxe4. Is it just that it breaks the pin, and also restricts the white bishop?

The engine line after Nxe4 is 8. Nb4 Bd7 9. Nxc6 Bxc6 10. Bxc6 bxc6, although that's not what my opponent did. (They blundered their queen on move 14 and resigned. This was uh not a high level game).

7... b5 looks really good to me, because

1) you are gaining space on the queenside
2) you are forcing white to waste time moving the same bishop over and over
3) after 8. Bb3 Nd4 you can force an exchange of that bishop for your knight, and doubling white's pawns at the same time. Now white has nothing to show for all those moves spent moving that bishop around, and black has the bishop pair.

on the other hand, 7... Nxe4 wins a pawn, but white gets some compensation because your pawn on e5 is pinned to the king after white plays Re1 to chase away the knight. Maybe later white can play d4 and take over the center while your king is trying to get castled?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

3) after 8. Bb3 Nd4 you can force an exchange of that bishop for your knight, and doubling white's pawns at the same time. Now white has nothing to show for all those moves spent moving that bishop around, and black has the bishop pair.

on the other hand, 7... Nxe4 wins a pawn, but white gets some compensation because your pawn on e5 is pinned to the king after white plays Re1 to chase away the knight. Maybe later white can play d4 and take over the center while your king is trying to get castled?

Ahh ok, that does make a lot of sense, thanks. It would be nice if engines could explain positional or strategic things that way, but I guess it's almost impossible.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

rollick posted:

Ahh ok, that does make a lot of sense, thanks. It would be nice if engines could explain positional or strategic things that way, but I guess it's almost impossible.

If the interface allows it you can play around with variations, trying out the ideas that seem intuitive to you. It's not foolproof, but it can help with figuring out which ideas do and do not work. For the position you showed, I wouldn't worry too much about the faults with the Nxe4 line because they're a bit subtle. The key thing to understand with the b5 line is that you've got this pin on f3 which white can't break, so you'd love to add an attacker and wreck white's pawn structure.

As an aside, black would probably prefer to take on f3 with the knight and keep the bishop (which will go to h3) rather than take with the bishop and keep the knight. This isn't always going to be true, but it is here because (1) white's development is so bad and (2) white can kick the knight fairly easily with c3.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I was a little proud of this one but the analysis dulled that a bit! I found a combo at the end that would have won a lot of material, but when he responded in an expected way, it turned into a fancy mate in 3:

1. e4 g6
2. d4 d6
3. f4 Bg7
4. Nf3 Nf6
5. Bd3 Qd7
6. h3 Na6
7. a3 Qe6
8. f5 Qd7
9. O-O gxf5
10. Nc3 fxe4
11. Nxe4 Qc6
12. Re1 Be6
13. b4 b5
14. Qd2 O-O
15. Neg5 h6
16. Nxe6 fxe6
17. Rxe6 Qd7
18. Bf5 Nd5
19. Nh4 Qe8
20. Bb2 Qf7
21. Rf1 Qh5
22. Qf2 Bf6
23. g3 Rf7
24. Ng6 Rg7
25. Kh2 Qg5
26. Bc1 Qh5
27. g4 Bxd4
28. gxh5 Bxf2
29. Rxf2 Rc8
30. Rxd6 cxd6
31. Bxc8 Nb6
32. Rf8+ Kh7
33. Rh8#

I was originally thinking after Rxd6 ... (c or e) x d6 Bxc8, that he would have done Nb8 for the obvious save and I'd fork Ne6 ... Kh8 and work from there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've reached a point where I want to start reading books to improve at chess. Is it possible to learn a distinctive style, or are top chess books all going to recommend similar play? I really enjoy aggressively exchanging material to disrupt my opponent's pawn structure, and then winning the endgame, but I've read an article saying that this is how weak players play.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Chamale posted:

I've reached a point where I want to start reading books to improve at chess. Is it possible to learn a distinctive style, or are top chess books all going to recommend similar play? I really enjoy aggressively exchanging material to disrupt my opponent's pawn structure, and then winning the endgame, but I've read an article saying that this is how weak players play.

Lucky for you, everyone is weak.

There are definitely distinctive ways to play. Attacking, positional, tactical, strategic. There are also sorts of positions one prefers: open, semi-open, and closed. For the latter question, you can try to pick openings that suit you, but for the latter I don't know the material so well.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Today is a Bad Day, 1 win 12 losses aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

If the interface allows it you can play around with variations, trying out the ideas that seem intuitive to you. It's not foolproof, but it can help with figuring out which ideas do and do not work. For the position you showed, I wouldn't worry too much about the faults with the Nxe4 line because they're a bit subtle. The key thing to understand with the b5 line is that you've got this pin on f3 which white can't break, so you'd love to add an attacker and wreck white's pawn structure.

As an aside, black would probably prefer to take on f3 with the knight and keep the bishop (which will go to h3) rather than take with the bishop and keep the knight. This isn't always going to be true, but it is here because (1) white's development is so bad and (2) white can kick the knight fairly easily with c3.

:cheerdoge:, that's useful. I did play around with different variations, and I can see better where the weaknesses are. I think at my level those subtle lines are not as big a factor as the big blunders from either side.

Artelier posted:

Today is a Bad Day, 1 win 12 losses aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

13 games in a day seems like a lot to me! Is that blitz?

I recently decided to stop thinking about openings and just play e4 e5 / d4 d5 games as much as I can. I'm learning more about different lines and middle game positions, but it's tanked my rating in the short term. Just gotta learn to love losing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

rollick posted:

Yeah, it's Blitz. Work's been erratic for quite a while so I normally squeeze in a game or two in between small tasks, so 3+2 it is. Sometimes I play correspondence with friends for long, thought out games.

Just frustrating sometimes where one day, like say, yesterday, my brain was on all cylinders and I was seeing all the moves, all the lines, all the threats, at least for my rating level. Today my brain is like HUR DUR GIVE OPPONENT OBVIOUS MATE IN TWO WHEN THEY HAD NO ATTACKING CHANCES

In this example, I wasn't even under time pressure. I had like 2 minutes left, I was up material, my brain just...refused to see good moves. Why brain whyyyy

Artelier fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 2, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rollick posted:

:cheerdoge:, that's useful. I did play around with different variations, and I can see better where the weaknesses are. I think at my level those subtle lines are not as big a factor as the big blunders from either side.

I recently decided to stop thinking about openings and just play e4 e5 / d4 d5 games as much as I can. I'm learning more about different lines and middle game positions, but it's tanked my rating in the short term. Just gotta learn to love losing.

you are like a little baby. ive played 49 bullet games so far in april. my longest winning streak was 16 games in a row over 1 hour and 15 minutes on january 6. (that whole day i went 22-7-2)

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Haha drat I don't think my trackpad can even move fast enough for bullet.

My routine the last few weeks is play 15+10, then annotate my thinking in SCID, then make flashcards out of book moves that are new to me, and any tactics I missed. So like each game is a 30-60 minute investment.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i was just black:

1. e4 g5 2. Nf3 g4 3. Nd4 c5 4. Nb3 Nc6 5. Qxg4 d5 6. exd5 Bxg4 7. Nxc5 Nd4 8. Nxb7

and i missed the smothered mate Nxc2#

i can’t believe it

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hand Knit posted:

Lucky for you, everyone is weak.

There are definitely distinctive ways to play. Attacking, positional, tactical, strategic. There are also sorts of positions one prefers: open, semi-open, and closed. For the latter question, you can try to pick openings that suit you, but for the latter I don't know the material so well.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to read up on different styles and start studying something that feels right to me.

Here's a funny way to win: I started with the Sicilian defense, but after four moves our positions were identical. I decided to start simply playing the mirror image of my opponent's moves, and he resigned! Maybe he got bored.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If someone would rather not play chess at all rather than play a (pseudo) symmetrical English... I can respect that.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Helianthus Annuus posted:

I struggle with #1 a lot when playing. Whether I'm taking space with a push, or creating weakness. I find that really challenging in the heat of the moment.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

If someone would rather not play chess at all rather than play a (pseudo) symmetrical English... I can respect that.

whenever people play the english against me i just mirror them for an absurdly long time

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Carlsen streaming on Twitch right now for the first time I think (e: no I'm wrong, it's just rare that he does): https://twitch.tv/maskenissen

rollick fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 3, 2021

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Chamale posted:

I decided to start simply playing the mirror image of my opponent's moves, and he resigned! Maybe he got bored.

Just did mirrored my opponent as good while and got to here. I checkmated him but he was also down on time which id like to attribute to him thinking “why tf is this guy just morriorng me”

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
My very young son has gotten into chess because he sees dad getting into chess. Today on chesskid.com he swindled his way to his first win against a human by flagging his opponent who was up +15 in material but couldn't quite figure out how to checkmate. :3:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Captain von Trapp posted:

My very young son has gotten into chess because he sees dad getting into chess. Today on chesskid.com he swindled his way to his first win against a human by flagging his opponent who was up +15 in material but couldn't quite figure out how to checkmate. :3:

:patriot:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Not proud of this, but I won a game with a4 b4 c4 d4 e4 f4

https://lichess.org/Et8NHDzM

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Qf2# just sitting there for days but I guess black wasn't feeling it.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Just wondering: what kind of scores can people get on the Lichess coordinate trainer? I've been doing it off and on for a while and find it hard to break 25, even using my finger on a tablet.

https://lichess.org/training/coordinate

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Tried a few times with a mouse and my highest was 24. Did noticeably worse on black.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

https://www.chess.com/game/daily/320589038

“Well, we’ve tried every device and you still won’t resign—every device, that is, except this little baby we simply call ‘Alekhine's Thingamajig.’”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This was a fun checkmate!

(I refuse to look at Analysis and see how many moves quicker could I have forced it)