Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe I am uninformed, I haven't seen any western think tank comprehensively point out the weakness of the western liberal democratic system: which is too much decision power scattered in the different layers of local governments and private sectors, and it moves too slowly in the fast changing global disaster/climate change events. Even Germany who did really well in the quarantine phrase of the pandemic has had a very slow roll out of the vaccine because their medical system is not setup to mobilize the country to do things in a hurry. Only country that had roll out the vaccines really fast is Israel, which is a militarized society.

Why am I bringing this up? because I think there are too many westerners who think their political system is the best in the world and there is no need to modify it. Same apply to their economic system. In contrast, you will never find a Chinese who think the Chinese political system or economic system is the best, and the Chinese consistently talking about reforming their systems. You would think in 2021, there would be multiple US authors talking about how badly the US has done in the pandemic and this this and this should be change to the systems etc. No I have yet to see it. Biden talking about bringing security related jobs back to the US is not nearly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
love to think that south koreans and japanese are racist against chinese because of the US

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

trying figure out what's happening with the cables in this picture

brotha from anatha
Mar 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

love to think that south koreans and japanese are racist against chinese because of the US

Uhh, they have started to hate china for the same reasons all other residents of imperial provinces have in the last 5 years, because imperial media have thus decided their line towards china will be

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
lol who's rereg are you? this thread seems to be a honeypot for banned posters trying to evade probes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Atrocious Joe posted:

trying figure out what's happening with the cables in this picture

think it’s just a cheap crowd control tactic

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

Maybe I am uninformed, I haven't seen any western think tank comprehensively point out the weakness of the western liberal democratic system

no you’re not uninformed

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They hang women underwears and menstruation pads on those cables so the army guys would have to cut them first down in order to avoid going under them. Burmeses are superstitious.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

shrike82 posted:

that's my point though - what does some abstract notion of handling covid do in terms of soft power vs. a huge global upswell in anti-chinese racism

has there actually been a global upswell or has it just been in the countries that were already ideologically aligned against china and willing to use any stupid excuse to make them the new hitler

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
like i said, if the entire west, japan, south korea, south east asia etc are "ideologically against" china, where exactly is china winning people over?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

literally everywhere aside from those places? even the most generous interpretation of southeast asia doesnt get you to a third of the world population

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

that's my point though - what does some abstract notion of handling covid do in terms of soft power vs. a huge global upswell in anti-chinese racism

Who gives a gently caress? The fascist former VP of my dumb country had to resign because he got caught on camera talking candidly about how political bribes work and he was positively giddy about all the money the Chinese have. Though that might have been the white powder. I can all but guarantee that he personally would count as racist against Chinese people.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the Cold War is heating up. China, for better or worse, hasn’t seriously changed the way it has been doing things.

The issue is that the PRC is projected to be around 35-40% world’s GDP in per capita terms by the 2030s.

what does world GDP per capita represent, you just mean GDP right?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Antonymous posted:

Probably means GDP PPP? China is projected to get some bonkers growth on that during the 20's.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

They hang women underwears and menstruation pads on those cables so the army guys would have to cut them first down in order to avoid going under them. Burmeses are superstitious.

they could just step over them though they don’t seem that high

Some Guy TT posted:

literally everywhere aside from those places? even the most generous interpretation of southeast asia doesnt get you to a third of the world population

India Indonesia and the US get you there (minus China) plus you have the tide turning in Western/Central Europe. Eastern Europe was pretty indifferent iirc but that could change in the next round of polling. South America and Africa seem like the only places that aren’t going bigly anti-China? maybe the Middle East?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
has anti-chinese racism among the populations of non-western countries actually significantly increased in the time of corona specifically? obviously in, say, hong kong the view that mainlanders are stinky rustics increased over the course of the political struggle, and there are longstanding grudges held by japan etc, but in say russia or south america?

furthermore, "soft power" isn't the same as "private citizens are less racist"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indias not cool with china lately but not for covid reasons and it doesnt sound like the kind of problem theyd want our input on anyway since wed just make it worse and everyone knows it

indonesia has as far as i can tell fairly good relations with china that have only improved over the pandemic feel free to correct if you have an actual source its not a country we get a lot of english language news about

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

shrike82 posted:

like i said, if the entire west, japan, south korea, south east asia etc are "ideologically against" china, where exactly is china winning people over?

Africa and South america mainly

Also europe seems to be drifting towards china so i don't know where you're getting "the entire west" from

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

http://www.attitudetowardchina.com/map

here's a Princeton map at the link above that makes it easy to sew Pew Research data, and also here's NYU Shanghai's map from 2014-2018 data which for USA at least is severely outdated now

I do think english language media will continue to frame China in a negative light and put more and more focus on turning general opinion strongly against China's government, and lets be honest it's people as well

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

indonesia has as far as i can tell fairly good relations with china that have only improved over the pandemic feel free to correct if you have an actual source its not a country we get a lot of english language news about

The governments have good relations sure but anti-Chinese (especially anti-Indo-Chinese) sentiment and crime is still a huge deal, at least in Jakarta. Local officials/police are still running extortion schemes on Indo-Chinese owned businesses.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Antonymous posted:

Sorry, PPP, phone posting. China is 19% of the world’s GDP in PPP terms at the moment but it general trends continue it will be roughly 160% the size of the US’ economy by 2027-28 when it is projected to pass it in nominal terms. Obviously there are a ton of variables that could change, but at the same time, China’s economy in material terms is absolutely massive and will probably only get more so in the near future.

That is the problem, while public opinion on China may shift, China’s economy is simply too large to “crush.”

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Apr 1, 2021

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Yadoppsi posted:

Is it verboten to post about BnR here? I checked it out after not visiting in ages and saw a poster I considered erudite and conscientious, a Chinese person living in China, run off for the mildest pushback against the anarcho-bidenist line on Xinjang. It speaks to the issue THS brought up in the feedback thread: if we can convince a forum full of supposed lefties to criticality read news about China what the hell does that say for the American public? The only, and I mean only, rhetorical device that's gotten headway is me paraphrasing Muhammad Ali's quote about the Vietnam War for my identity (im gay) and going from there.

https://twitter.com/Mateba_6/status/1377465771748691968?s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Sorry, PPP, phone posting. China is 19% of the world’s GDP in PPP terms at the moment but it general trends continue it will be roughly 160% the size of the US’ economy by 2027-28 when it is projected to pass it in nominal terms. Obviously there are a ton of variables that could change, but at the same time, China’s economy in material terms is absolutely massive and will probably only get more so in the near future.

That is the problem, while public opinion on China may shift, China’s economy is simply too large to “crush.”

the funny thing is the Anglo/Euro + orbit countries probably could crush China's economy, but the pandemic has shown that capitalist liberal democracies are incapable of the discipline and unity needed to face a threat of this nature

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They would have to have an all in effort and honestly they are naturally too divided to do so. Also the EU isn’t as nearly as anti-China.

Admittedly, China’s growth will naturally slow over time but it isn’t a situation comparable to the first Cold War where the USSR and the Eastern bloc was containable. The USSR was only about 40% of the US’s economy and if anything that was probably overstated.

In the end, the US can push for a full court press on public option but no one actually wants to be cut out of the Chinese market and at a certain point money talks.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

lol the only thing keeping the working class of those countries from actively revolting is cheap consumer goods

china's bet is that capitalists in all of these countries will make the right decision, because even if china poses a security threat or w/e it doesn't pose an ideological one

KaptainKrunk has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Apr 1, 2021

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

indigi posted:

India Indonesia and the US get you there (minus China) plus you have the tide turning in Western/Central Europe. Eastern Europe was pretty indifferent iirc but that could change in the next round of polling. South America and Africa seem like the only places that aren’t going bigly anti-China? maybe the Middle East?

a lot of this might be temporary too. publics are fickle as gently caress.

KaptainKrunk has issued a correction as of 22:16 on Apr 1, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KaptainKrunk posted:

It may be a situation compared to the first Cold War where there is just a certain amount fatigue sets in after years of hearing about the commies.

But yeah, China’s bet is that while the Western media and DC will come out swinging, Western capitalists themselves are going to far more concern about the bottom line. It isn’t just cheap manufactured good either but China in the next 10 years is going to be its own massive consumer market. Does BMW really wants to be locked out of it?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

KaptainKrunk posted:

I'm not even sure if it matters. People might not like China but it doesn't mean they are willing to accept actual suffering to contain China.

At the sametime it doesn't seem like the US Leadership is willing to offer any changes to actually win.

There is no way that Europe/Japan wouldn't want a bigger say on the actual decision making if they did more to contain China.

Nor is the US leadership offering it's own people anything more to mobilize against China.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

axelord posted:

I'm not even sure if it matters. People might not like China but it doesn't mean they are willing to accept actual suffering to contain China.

At the sametime it doesn't seem like the US Leadership is willing to offer any changes to actually win.

There is no way that Europe/Japan wouldn't want a bigger say on the actual decision making if they did more to contain China.

Nor is the US leadership offering it's own people anything more to mobilize against China.

what has US leadership ever had to offer to get them to mobilize against a "threat"? it doesn't work every time but it works enough

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

what has US leadership ever had to offer to get them to mobilize against a "threat"? it doesn't work every time but it works enough

I don’t know if the Iraq War would fly nowadays to be honest.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ardennes posted:

I don’t know if the Iraq War would fly nowadays to be honest.

let’s hope not but I’m skeptical

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My theory is US (by US, I mean the US imperial elite 1%) has had effective influence over other angle saxon countries with similar government structures and allow legal lobbying. It has never worked that well over European countries even though US has military bases in these countries. If US has that much control over Germany, they wouldn't invest billions of dollar in Nordstream 2 with the Russkies to begin with.

Here is how I put US's buddies into different tiers:

Countries that are already on Team US and will and provide military support when push comes to shove:
UK, Australia, Japan

Countries that are willing to help US but actually don't have much to offer outside of UN votes and "condemnations":
France, some small European countries like Sweden and Poland. Philippines. Also probably India.

Countries you think they are on Team US but actually will only yell really loud but will not actually sacrifice their own trade profile with China to support US when poo poo hits the fan:
Germany, S Korea, both have really high trade volume with China and have not lowered trade during the Trump admin.

Countries that have heavy trade volume with China and have already flat out said will not take a side in a Sino-US fight, but for some reason people think they will support US just because they elect their governments every 4 years:
All other ASEAN countries including Indonesia and Singapore

Countries who won't take side:
ME, Africa, Latin America.

Countries who will help China in the UN:
Iran, Russia, some central Africa countries and other BRI countries.

Countries that are on Team China:
N.Korea, Pakistan

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Apr 2, 2021

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rutibex posted:

no one actually believes any of the bullshit about china. they are just hoping if we go to war with china maybe the factory jobs will come back so they play along

During the collapse of communism in Europe, I absolutely believed the huddled masses under the yoke of evil communist dictators yearning to breathe free narrative the mass media were pushing at the time. I believed the Kuwait bullshit, too. I was a child at the time.

In the 00s, I believed the narrative that Chinese industry was powered in large part by unfree labor in the neoliberal sense (as in less free than wage slaves), while being largely ignorant of the extent to which many western economies and the US economy in particular actually are. I didn't have the excuse of being a child.

I think a lot of people believe the current wave of bullshit. I view them with the same contempt I view my past self.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
War Nerd has a great oral history of the NED and its role in crushing leftist movements in Central America. They also dunk on Bellingcat and the world Uighur congress

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

Maybe I am uninformed, I haven't seen any western think tank comprehensively point out the weakness of the western liberal democratic system: which is too much decision power scattered in the different layers of local governments and private sectors, and it moves too slowly in the fast changing global disaster/climate change events.

i think the people in the think tanks make a lot of money scattering decision power and slowing things down

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Developing story.... Major train disaster in Taiwan...

https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20210402001428-260405

Parked truck on the road fall into the train track? Hit by full speed train (125kmph), already 37 deaths... and people are still being stuck inside the train inside the tunnel...

This video show how the death (OHCA) was spread in the first 4 carriages.

https://twitter.com/zlu_j/status/1377870432955600906?s=19

#5, #6, #7, #8(front of the train)
3, 3, 20+, 10

Edit2

48 death so far...

This video has accident animation recreation

https://youtu.be/uRF58ns02HA

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 09:39 on Apr 2, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that fuckin sucks

e: from google translate

quote:

An engineering vehicle from the contractor was suspected to have slipped from the slope onto the track due to the failure of the handbrake. As a result, the Taroko, which had just exited the tunnel, had no time to react. The head of the vehicle (the eighth car) suffered severe damage. It was confirmed that the driver surnamed Yuan, who had not been married for a long time, had been killed.

It is pointed out that when the Taroko train passes through this section, it almost advances at full speed, about 125 kilometers per hour. In addition, the visibility between the two tunnels is poor. It is not ruled out that when the driver sees the construction vehicle, it is too late to react. The police consumer pointed out that the casualties were concentrated in the 8th and 7th carriages. At least 41 people have died and more than 80 people have been injured. In addition, 200 people are stuck in the carriages waiting for rescue.

After the accident, the scene was in a mess. Some carriages of the Taroko that lost power were stuck in the tunnel, and 5 to 8 carriages were severely deformed. One of them was lying horizontally in the tunnel, causing people to be trapped.

indigi has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/1377916464582307840