Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode nine is like a weird alternate universe episode where the train in the show starts to become the train in the film. And the drama is about how they've got to stop that happening, like Chris Evans and that orange lady are evil alternate future selves.

I just can't believe that the show will ever commit to his status quo.

Wilford is channelling mad evil Willy Wonka energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wtf is this romantic relationship between dickslasher and Once-I-Was-A-Rapist-Now-Im-A-Popstar?

RapistPopstar got a whole music video sheesh

Episode Ten:
Ruth is not the character I'd have picked to play the tough girl action hero role. I think Alison Wright's overplaying it a little.

This finale is genuinely great.

I want someone to kill that dog. That's a bad dog.

OMG. Bye Aquarium. They did a narrative salute to a struck set.

There's gonna be weird sex stuff happening on the pirate train, right?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 30, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I kind of want a whole season of pirate train doing hit and run raids to take Snowpiercer back car by car

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ehh, it is still ok tv but in all honesty I thought the season was way, way weaker then the first (rant incoming).

Really, the big plan was splitting the train again? Kinda repeating ourselves here.

Speaking of the big plan, it was like 60% dumb comedy, 10% just people needing to be dumb as poo poo for it to work, and 30% actual drama, while the conclusion to Season 1 was one of the hardest hitting I have ever seen. Viva la revoluc- wait nope Layton just squandered it by being a dick/dumbass for the whole season except the last two episodes.

Wilford was just...a big giant sociopath baby. Who somehow has this amazing magnetic personality too when he seems like someone who couldn't spend five minutes with anyone without them wanting to murder him.

gently caress Audrey. I thought she was faking it but I guess she just was magic-Wilforded into a complete piece of poo poo despite being more aware of him then anybody. I hope she at the least gets merked by someone so we don't have to hear her sing anymore, ugh.

Didn't give a poo poo about the Zarah/Layton subplot. Why is her pregnancy so important? They need to allot baby-permits to people, toss her the gently caress out and just give it to someone else. Does Wilford have a pregnancy fetish or something?

Way to not explore Big Alice and any of its people and what the gently caress they've been doing these past 7 years. Also kill off the most interesting one of them off-screen. Also Wilford killed half of them and all we get out of that is one mention by Alex? What?

As far as I can understand, the whole Detective Till subplot had no other end besides killing the Breachmen which...uh, holy poo poo, way to waste screentime. Really needed those fifteen different scenes of her and the priest drinking tea, huh?

Was there some sort of commitment issues with Connelly? I didn't give a good goddamn about Layton/Wilford while the interplay between Melanie/Wilford at least seemed to have potential (90% because of the actors, but still).

Alex choosing her mother over Wilford in a split goddamn second. Which - fine, I can understand that because Wilford is a monstrous rear end in a top hat, but why is anyone else giving him the time of the day if the person who he literally raised during her most formative and dramatic years drops him in a split second?

The Tail might as well not have existed for the past few episodes.

The Third revolts (entirely avoidable by Layton) and then might as well not have existed the past two episodes.

We HAvE tO ReAcH MeLaNiE ok yeah I understand the hope given by her data but for gently caress sake, the Tail just forgets her autocratic dictatorship and the rest just forget her lying to them for the past 7 years and she is some messianic figure to everyone now whose sheer voice is enough to bring the whole train to their side? What?

Ruth's redemption arc. gently caress her and gently caress it, she was a complete monster and now she is having hilarious hijinks with the rest of the crew and being trusted by the child whose mother she killed? No.

Was the Osweiler musical scene supposed to get emotions out of me? He's a dickhead violent sexual abuser in love with a serial killer, no!

And enough has been said about her but if Little Miss Penis-Chop survives past episode 1 of Season 3 I can't even...they didn't even redeem her, she was just as awful in the last ep of S2 as she was in S1, just gleefully in the First Class again despite being in the poo poo with the hoi polloi. Why did we waste a single minute on her? NO

Could we really explore the train and it's society bit beyond the five same sets and agency-less mobs who switch alliances in a drop of a hat? Like it can't be that crazy expensive.

I don't want to watch Snowpiercer trying to build a colony on land, I have like five other dystopia-shows I could watch for that poo poo. The train aspect, lack of space and resources and enclosed spaces is kinda the point.

I dunno, it seems like they switched the writing team between the seasons, because I loved Season 1 and Season 2 was severely underwhelming.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wilford is channelling mad evil Willy Wonka energy.

He should, that's where he learned it.
https://youtu.be/jEX52h1TvuA

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 30, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I don't think there was a single bad performance this season, but Sean Bean's might be up there with his career best. The sheer tension he was generating during the dinner scene was amazing.

The carnival had the same kind of surreal fever dream feeling that the second half of the film had.

Jennifer Connelly leaving is a shame, but understandable - it didn't feel like Melanie's story was quite over yet.

There's a good chance Layton just made several species of fish extinct, isn't there?

I would have hoped that the scientists would have been a bit more developed, but the hints at the immoral stuff they're up to were creepy enough. And its a big cast already.

Season 3 should be fun - Wilford going increasingly mad as the smaller train desperately tries to catch up should make some interesting drama.

I do love that the entire thread was united by how much they like Icy Bob. Because the show introduced a character called 'Icy Bob' and it worked.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 30, 2021

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

So, um, those nutrient blocks, they... know what they're eating, right? It was neat to see those again, but Layton's reaction both times he took bites was interesting.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

SamBishop posted:

So, um, those nutrient blocks, they... know what they're eating, right? It was neat to see those again, but Layton's reaction both times he took bites was interesting.

Was that ever shown in the show? I know the movie shows it but i can't remember what they were in the show. Unless they're the same bug bars

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Didn't give a poo poo about the Zarah/Layton subplot. Why is her pregnancy so important? They need to allot baby-permits to people, toss her the gently caress out and just give it to someone else. Does Wilford have a pregnancy fetish or something?

Well if the movie is any indication, there's a certain reason why they need more children on the train.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hakkesshu posted:

Well if the movie is any indication, there's a certain reason why they need more children on the train.

I don't think they're going there, tbh.

Also, how badass was Sykes? I was wondering why she was Wilford's shadow, her absolutely destroying Ben was a great scene. Hope they don't kill her off too *sigh*

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't think they're going there, tbh.

Also, how badass was Sykes? I was wondering why she was Wilford's shadow, her absolutely destroying Ben was a great scene. Hope they don't kill her off too *sigh*

Good news, they just upped her to series regular.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Loved the last two episodes.

So much went down and it's going to be crazy to see where next season goes.

Someone already said Jennifer Connelly will appear next season but I'm going with she'll be a hallucination of what characters are thinking/feeling, most likely taunting Wilfred with his failures.

Poor Javier, the man was the MVP that allowed everything to happen as it did, sadly he paid for it in a horrible way.

Ruth continues to shine, she's got a lot to her and seeing her change as the show has gone on is a treat, when she says she cares about the passengers you know she means it. Yeah she's done bad things, but it only adds to the layers of her character. Most people are not purely good or evil, they can do both.

Was surprised by the revelation that Josie is even more capable in the cold than Bob! The way those scientist are going you almost half expect them to make it so people can survive the cold outside fully, but I will pose this question. What happens to characters that can thrive in the cold when the world heats up? Might not be a good thing for them. Can't help but feel Josie will end up with Bob walking off some day.

Up until now I was trying to figure out if Audrey was playing the long con on Wilfred waiting for her moment to make the most of a betrayal but we clearly see what the truth is.

You know next season with how this one ended off is going to have Wilfred going on a rampage, we already saw the train more like the movie version, next season it might be entirely there.

We certainly know he plans to Cut down on the population.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Open Source Idiom posted:

Good news, they just upped her to series regular.

Nice! She seems like she was about Alex's age, basically a child soldier, should make for a good character.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Is this the evilest Sean Bean has ever been?

also:

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 31, 2021

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Is this the evilest Sean Bean has ever been?

also:

When you've won you kinda want to toot your own horn and rub it in others faces.

I mean what's the point otherwise?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Last Call posted:

We certainly know he plans to Cut down on the population.

I actually suspect he'll drawer more people if he can than outright kill them. Wilford's got the whole savior complex thing going on so unless it's someone who personally offended him, they'll just disappear to the drawers to serve him when he's got total control. He didn't have access to those resources on Big Alice.

I'm curious what's actually in the ten cars of pirate Snowpiercer. I wonder if they stole anything important.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Last Call posted:

Yeah she's done bad things, but it only adds to the layers of her character. Most people are not purely good or evil, they can do both
I've more or less considered this the true theme of the entire show, instead of it being about class warfare as the comic/movie is. We've seen such great grey areas and almost all of it is completely convincing because the show is so well written and acted.

Spiteski posted:

Was that ever shown in the show? I know the movie shows it but i can't remember what they were in the show. Unless they're the same bug bars

SamBishop posted:

Yes, when we first entered the show, the tail already knew it was bugs. The fact it wasn't a reveal was one of the first tips that this isn't the same Snowpiercer from the movie.

As far as what I have to say about the finale... it was mostly fantastic.

Done well: I was extremely fearful of Javi's and Mel's well being leading up to their fates. Done poorly: In both cases the telegraphing was heavy enough that it wasn't a complete shock. The way everyone kept telling Javi how good he was was basically confirming that it would be their last time seeing him. They also forced it by shoveling importance and character appreciation onto him because he really didn't get enough time to be fleshed out over 2 seasons. Meanwhile the complete absence of a new Jennifer Connelly scene since we last saw her made it obvious that she just wasn't around for the gig anymore. The biggest reason I was worried about them killing her off was because I want more Jennifer Connelly and her terrific acting! Admittedly I was going to say that her death was a massive hamper on my enjoyment of the finale but knowing she'll be back for Season 3 with the hints of her leaving through the thermal vent makes me hope that she shows up before the first half. I will otherwise be disappointed. Hell I even said "oh, they're doing a fakeout with the bunk, she has to be OK right?!" and then the dub-over from Layton with no body being found was a big let down. Still, though, this show fuckin' got me.

Done well:
https://i.imgur.com/pudQsiD.gifv
Done poorly:
https://i.imgur.com/4pSbHgN.gifv

Also was weird how how Wilford was like "we'll run you off the track!" and then it just suddenly resolves itself?! Like, I get that he probably meant "if you keep breaking you will be run off the track" and Ben let it go so they wouldn't all die but... it was completely unclear and felt more like they just dropped it on the floor. Also weird how it seemed like the Carnival Car was supposed to have more poo poo going on with it but was just used as a goof. This loving shot confused the gently caress out of me:
https://i.imgur.com/kagoW4N.mp4
I had to watch it again to realize that it was just a video feed on the ceiling, not a window out into a literal ferris wheel outside the train. In which case: drat, that ceiling is high in that car.
...This show really does gently caress around with the dimensions of the train a little too much.

Again, I loved a lot of this but one last thing that the show's really failing at: Actually, definitively killing... anybody. Like all the frozen lung folks are dead, sure, but they're also faceless. The soldiers who died are deffo dead for good but, again, faceless. Javi? Boki? Mel? Icy Bob? They're all probably dead but we never see the body. And we're in a lore where people can be revived from a practically-dead state very easily. I kinda hate it! It means next-to-no closure for any of the characters. That being said, I think Javi's still alive because he's the only engineer left on the Big Alice end, not including Wilford himself. I guess we could just look up to see if he's still on the roster.

Also the point of the drawers and Melanie's "secret" about the drawers is still goofily absent. Hopefully Season 3 clears it up as the show is gonna have a lot to compete with as post-COVID shows get developed and hit the air. Season 4 is no guarantee here.

Um... I could probably go on about more but I won't. Show is good. Not phenomenally good but way better than most. I do hope that we get some more of that carnival-like insanity with the next season.

Chris James 2 posted:

Also if you didn't stick around for the post-credits, season 3's confirmed in production
I did not stick around for the post-credits but Season 3 was already confirmed to be in production prior to this airing. I am curious; what did they show after the credits, exactly?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 1, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was a really good finale, the show has improved a ton this season.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I watched through the credits and there was nothing???

Good finale, RIP Boki tho jeez

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sean Bean is just awesome in this :allears:

Wilford doesn't give a single poo poo about anyone or anything but himself so in his mind the universe will basically cease to exit after his death and he wants to make the last years of the universe as nice as possible and that means playing king on his luxury train, not being some random guy in a impoverished colony fighting for naked survival and eating plain potatoes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Boki owns. What an enthusiastic guy.

Made me laugh when Layton and Ruth get into the brig and Alex tells them about the secret entrance. The delivery of layton's reaction of a shrug and "ok, she's in" was great.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

When Ruth got stripped of her Teals I said to my wife “this is going to tip her over the edge. She will go full Rambo First Blood” and I was pleasantly surprised to see this come true

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ruth actually became likable in the second half.

I just wish there'd been much more focus on her earning the trust of the train after the monster she was in S1.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I liked Ruth's pivot from Yes!! gently caress Yes!!!! to poo poo when she remembers which bit of the train she's on and realises that her whole team just bounced. Looking forward to seeing her team up with Pike and uhhh the doctor

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah Wilford's plan to cull the population probably involves drawers, not murder. If the train is the last of humanity, 2000ish people is already worryingly low numbers - even though Wilford isn't thinking long term, people take a long time to make, and there's not exactly fresh supplies of them from outside. We've seen that the train can sustainably support that number, at least in terms of food production, whereas Big Alice can't. They don't even have enough engineers - Wilford is the only one left on the main train who can operate the engine, and its implied that his understanding is surface level at best.

Also if the pirate train has the Snowpiercer engine, and Big Alice is running the train, is it like a ship of Theseus thing? Which should be considered the 'real' Snowpiercer now?

The idea that the tail people just so happened to be such a mix of people who all just so happened to get to the train despite being from all over the place seems a little contrived, but this is a setting with train tracks that cover the entire globe and perpetual motion engines, so I'll let it slide. And we've gotten some really memorable characters from it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I reckon it's considered Big Alice, 1024 cars long.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 1, 2021

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DaveKap posted:

I did not stick around for the post-credits but Season 3 was already confirmed to be in production prior to this airing. I am curious; what did they show after the credits, exactly?

Huh, guess it was just a live feed thing. Watching after the credits on TNT they showed ~10 seconds of general footage of the train moving, Daveed throwing a punch and Sean Bean looking pissed and the text "Season 3 in production". Nothing spoilery

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mr. Bean just killing it in this crazy dumb show

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
He's definitely great, I just wish they had at least some scenes of him being pleasant or charming or magnetic to explain his hold over people. He's a dick to his servants, a dick to his lovers, a dick to his pseudo-daughter, dick to anyone who seems to be predisposed to follow him...most people don't meet him for longer then a second, sure but the slightest problem seems to set him off.

As far as I gathered he built his empire and rose from regular origins (old Russian neighbor taking him to church), I'd have liked to see actual deep planning or strength of will that took him there, instead he falls apart literally the first episode he is in, and his plans require some serious idiocy from his opponents in order to succeed.

I find him a villain to hate which is always good, and Bean kills it no matter who or what he plays, but considering he is the Big Bad, I'd have liked there to be more then just hating him because he is a petty, childish rear end in a top hat. How did this man hold a poor man's Snowpiercer together for seven years and convinced half the population to kill themselves? I just don't see it, he seems entirely consumed by his own desires to the point of him lasting on top of actual Snowpiercer for a weekend before everything goes to poo poo. And he thinks he can trust Josie, Alex or Javi? What?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 1, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I reckon it's considered Big Alice, 1024 cars long.

Question about this

Is it 1024 or 1023 cars long? Is the pirate train 9 or 10? Why was aquarium car right at the front?? With it destroyed there are only 1033 cars left right??

I can't imagine the food generating cars were next to the engine so I hope the superfriends have food to eat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Question about this

Is it 1024 or 1023 cars long? Is the pirate train 9 or 10? Why was aquarium car right at the front?? With it destroyed there are only 1033 cars left right??

I can't imagine the food generating cars were next to the engine so I hope the superfriends have food to eat.

It's also an essential part of the train's ecosystem, isn't it? Won't the removal of the aquarium car have some serious knock-on effects?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Food wise I suspect there are other fish farm cars.

But they probably just made a whole whack of species extinct.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DarkCrawler posted:

Wilford was just...a big giant sociopath baby. Who somehow has this amazing magnetic personality too when he seems like someone who couldn't spend five minutes with anyone without them wanting to murder him..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Ruth actually became likable in the second half.

I just wish there'd been much more focus on her earning the trust of the train after the monster she was in S1.
Pretty sure the passengers watching her get taken to the Swamp with her teals off were jeering at her for it because they remember the poo poo she pulled. She didn't earn the trust of the whole train.

OldMemes posted:

The idea that the tail people just so happened to be such a mix of people who all just so happened to get to the train despite being from all over the place seems a little contrived, but this is a setting with train tracks that cover the entire globe and perpetual motion engines, so I'll let it slide. And we've gotten some really memorable characters from it.
In the movie, the tail was purposely created to balance the numbers when Wilford and the train needed them balanced. In the TV show.... as far as I can remember, there's literally no reason for the tail to exist. The only reason it wasn't excised is because Mel didn't want to be the monster Wilford is.

So not only is the weird mix contrived, the pure existence of the tail is contrived.
Link :nms: content please.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 2, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Quote is not edit...

Okay I should put some content here so uhh...

Sucks that Aussie girl just kinda disappeared at the end of the season like that. Feels like a loose end considering what happened at book club.
There have been enough times that we see the engine from first class that we know the cars behind the engine aren't first class... but it makes me wonder what is up there. Looking forward to finding out next season.
There's a Snowpiercer website where people just submit art and ideas for what cars in the train are.
https://www.tntdrama.com/snowpiercer/wilfordindustries#/traincars
I guess TNT can just use this as an idea mine for future episodes.
Edit: Uhhh I don't know how it happened but car 19 and 20 are just Big Alice. What the gently caress is this site lol.
Edit2: The aquarium/sushi bar isn't an entry from the public, it's a part of TNT building this site, and it's car 187... yeah this is very not canon. They ... they did say in the episode that they only had 10 cars, right?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 2, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah 9 or 10 depending on which position the aquarium actually had. Why did boki need to throw both switches? Wouldn't throwing one of them be enough to decouple the car from the rest of the train?

How did laytrain get behind big alice? There would have to be a switch ahead where they could turn around and they'd have to get far enough ahead of big alice to take it right? Doesn't wilford have control of the track switches?

I would imagine the first few cars immediately behind the engine are engineering related. Spares/switchboards, living quarters for the engineers. Probably wilford's planned living quarters?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

ilmucche posted:

Yeah 9 or 10 depending on which position the aquarium actually had. Why did boki need to throw both switches? Wouldn't throwing one of them be enough to decouple the car from the rest of the train?

How did laytrain get behind big alice? There would have to be a switch ahead where they could turn around and they'd have to get far enough ahead of big alice to take it right? Doesn't wilford have control of the track switches?

I would imagine the first few cars immediately behind the engine are engineering related. Spares/switchboards, living quarters for the engineers. Probably wilford's planned living quarters?

They did the same loop the whole train did to get back there in the first place?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

Service cars do make the most sense yeah. Given the size of the train they probably have utility cars spread throughout it.

Wasn't there reference to Wilford's car in the first season? I can't think he intended to live in the engine like how things went on Big Alice.

The engineer living quarters seem to be within the engine itself.

All we know is that the corridor in the car they enter the engine from is definitely first class styled with the white plastic halls. That could just be aesthetics for such a prestigious travelway (or reuse of sets.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 2, 2021

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

He's definitely great, I just wish they had at least some scenes of him being pleasant or charming or magnetic to explain his hold over people. He's a dick to his servants, a dick to his lovers, a dick to his pseudo-daughter, dick to anyone who seems to be predisposed to follow him...most people don't meet him for longer then a second, sure but the slightest problem seems to set him off.

As far as I gathered he built his empire and rose from regular origins (old Russian neighbor taking him to church), I'd have liked to see actual deep planning or strength of will that took him there, instead he falls apart literally the first episode he is in, and his plans require some serious idiocy from his opponents in order to succeed.

I find him a villain to hate which is always good, and Bean kills it no matter who or what he plays, but considering he is the Big Bad, I'd have liked there to be more then just hating him because he is a petty, childish rear end in a top hat. How did this man hold a poor man's Snowpiercer together for seven years and convinced half the population to kill themselves? I just don't see it, he seems entirely consumed by his own desires to the point of him lasting on top of actual Snowpiercer for a weekend before everything goes to poo poo. And he thinks he can trust Josie, Alex or Javi? What?

I think Wilford's hold over people is that he and the engineers are the only ones who can run the train and keep everyone alive. They are indisposable and their cooperation essential. That's how he managed to stay in power on Big Alice. Any kind of upheaval against him and Alex would have been suicide.

His return to power on Snowpiercer looked more like a political decision. He represented the reactionary interests, a return to the pre-revolution status quo and an end to the chaos of the provisional government. It was more a choice about policy than personality.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

DaveKap posted:

In the movie, the tail was purposely created to balance the numbers when Wilford and the train needed them balanced. In the TV show.... as far as I can remember, there's literally no reason for the tail to exist. The only reason it wasn't excised is because Mel didn't want to be the monster Wilford is.

So not only is the weird mix contrived, the pure existence of the tail is contrived.

IIRC, in the film, they implied that the people in the lowest class had been placed there deliberately - it seemed that they'd been invited onboard as a preserve a cross section of humanity refugee thing. In the TV show, it was just the people who just so happened to be at the station and just so happened to force their way through the blast doors before they sealed shut. It doesn't make masses of sense of some of the tail got there, but it has given us some great characters, and like I said earlier, its an interesting inversion of the post-apocalyptic trope you see a lot in, where the main characters have a path to safety, but the faceless crowds trying to force their way into safety are shown as misguided at best, selfish at worse. Then again, Bess implied that governments collapsed a while before the Freeze, so there's no-one to create alternative civilian safe zones outside of the train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OldMemes posted:

IIRC, in the film, they implied that the people in the lowest class had been placed there deliberately - it seemed that they'd been invited onboard as a preserve a cross section of humanity refugee thing. In the TV show, it was just the people who just so happened to be at the station and just so happened to force their way through the blast doors before they sealed shut. It doesn't make masses of sense of some of the tail got there, but it has given us some great characters, and like I said earlier, its an interesting inversion of the post-apocalyptic trope you see a lot in, where the main characters have a path to safety, but the faceless crowds trying to force their way into safety are shown as misguided at best, selfish at worse. Then again, Bess implied that governments collapsed a while before the Freeze, so there's no-one to create alternative civilian safe zones outside of the train.

Chicago is a pretty international and populated city, I don't see any Tailie who doesn't have a reason to be there.

GABA ghoul posted:

I think Wilford's hold over people is that he and the engineers are the only ones who can run the train and keep everyone alive. They are indisposable and their cooperation essential. That's how he managed to stay in power on Big Alice. Any kind of upheaval against him and Alex would have been suicide.

I mean yeah but there's a long way to go from "don't kill Wilford" to "half of us must die", especially when the people on secondary train were not the ones who knew Wilford (etc. first class did, engineers and others on the train) as closely.

quote:

His return to power on Snowpiercer looked more like a political decision. He represented the reactionary interests, a return to the pre-revolution status quo and an end to the chaos of the provisional government. It was more a choice about policy than personality.

He squandered the policy with his personality though. The train was all on his side, yet outright idiot ball decisions led him to trust people who had no motivation to trust him, from Josie to Alex.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 2, 2021