Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I hated every human character that wasn't Brother Noomsie in KotM, but for GvK I was - at worst - ambivalent about the human cast. Thumbs up from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Yea at first because I've been looking forward to this movie so much I was like "awww, it's under 2 hours? I want more!", but then after watching it I realized it's paced extremely well and feels packed with action. The extra 20 minutes of padding that comes with the standard blockbuster these days only drags movies down.

There was a point during the Hong Kong fight where I said to myself, "Okay, so this is where MechaGodzilla is going to get away somehow and then we're going to have like 20 minutes of wheel-spinning with the human characters trying to get to where the actual final battle will happen." Imagine my surprise and relief to find out that nope, the movie was almost over. Fifteen years of Marvel/Transformers/Pirates of the Caribbean/Fast and Furious bullshit has conditioned me to expect these movies to drag on and on. Even when they're overall enjoyable I always feel like I'm sitting there for too long.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I wonder if it would have been good or too far if apex turned out to be run by evil aliens infiltrating the earth through big tech.

The zuck memes alone would prob have generated a few thousand more views.

Also, some of the glowing godzilla stuff. I wonder if they were setting up a melt down plotline as a possible final movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They did the Godzilla melt down in KoTM.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One thing I wish there was more was better use of scale. There’s like a single shot of Godzilla (when he makes land on Hong Kong) that’s from the street and he just TOWERS over the buildings framing the shot. That single shot left more of an impact of how big he really was more than anything else.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like they tweaked both Godzilla and Kong to make the fights work. Godzilla moves a bit faster so that he can compete with Kong's agility, and Kong is bigger and stronger so that he can believably stand toe-to-toe with Godzilla. I thought they struck a really good balance there.

You've got some in-universe explanations for both. Godzilla's on a bloodlust fueled rampage to punch Ghidorah's face and Kong just grew up, since it's mentioned in Skull Island he was still a growing boy :3:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

One thing I wish there was more was better use of scale. There’s like a single shot of Godzilla (when he makes land on Hong Kong) that’s from the street and he just TOWERS over the buildings framing the shot. That single shot left more of an impact of how big he really was more than anything else.

Agreed. There's a shot of Kong where a helicopter flies by and it effectively sets the scale of the Kong really well.

I know a whole bunch of people didn't like the ground-level shots but they kept things appropriately majestic and should have not been jettisoned as hard as they were.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/MeganBitchell/status/1377381629463646210?s=20
:psyduck:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fiscally burn everything to the loving ground, socially be nice to people

I think it scans

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I love love love the back rockets on MechaG.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Agreed. There's a shot of Kong where a helicopter flies by and it effectively sets the scale of the Kong really well.

I know a whole bunch of people didn't like the ground-level shots but they kept things appropriately majestic and should have not been jettisoned as hard as they were.

The camera also moved really quickly in Hong Kong and was mostly in the head-level range with the monsters; combined with the increased titan speed it served to kind of shrink the effective scale of the action. I still loved it overall, but I think of all the movies Skull Island hit the action pacing sweet spot the best.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

For the sake of plot, Kong had to be treated like he was a circus animal. Doing the bidding of people, shipped around, tranquilized, being chained up, kept in a giant zoo, etc. Kind of cruel, actually. At least it all worked out for him.

Writing these movies is probably more difficult than it sounds. The only major cop-out to me was Godzilla nuking a hole to the earth's core, I could tolerate the rest.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

For the sake of plot, Kong had to be treated like he was a circus animal. Doing the bidding of people, shipped around, tranquilized, being chained up, kept in a giant zoo, etc. Kind of cruel, actually. At least it all worked out for him.

Writing these movies is probably more difficult than it sounds. The only major cop-out to me was Godzilla nuking a hole to the earth's core, I could tolerate the rest.

I know it strains credulity even for a Godzilla movie, but I absolutely LOVED Godzilla burning a hole straight through the Earth's crust just so he could scream "gently caress YOU BUDDY" at King Kong.

Giant monsters being extremely petty is my poo poo.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

sorry, that was the best part of the movie

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
As someone who lives in Pensacola, I would have liked half of this movie of Godzilla wrecking this town to hell and back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I had a fleeting thought cross my mind along the lines of "wait, does this make any sense", and then I said gently caress it this is the coolest poo poo ever so I don't care.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

I know it strains credulity even for a Godzilla movie, but I absolutely LOVED Godzilla burning a hole straight through the Earth's crust just so he could scream "gently caress YOU BUDDY" at King Kong.

Yeah that was loving awesome.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Splint Chesthair posted:

As a fan of the old old godzilla movies the best godzilla movie is a crazy godzilla movie. Let's get space aliens, Sludge monsters, King Caesar, jet jaguar, telepathic three inch twins controlling a giant butterfly. When they try to ground Godzilla in "reality" it always suffers I think.

I was hoping there were going to be Xiliens from planet X in the hollow earth buildling a robotic King Ghidorah. Maybe next movie!

Edit.

Quoted the wrong person. Fixed now.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 1, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

Yeah it was the Tony & Ezekiel moment that I didn't realize was needed in a Kaiju film until now.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Final Wars is still the most ludicrous Godzilla film IMO, though GvsK *might* crack the top 10

(I do not mean ludicrous in a necessarily bad way)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Final Wars is still the most ludicrous Godzilla film IMO, though GvsK *might* crack the top 10

(I do not mean ludicrous in a necessarily bad way)

Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Megalon came out one after another and each one manages to be goofier than the one before.

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah hinges on a time-travel plot that doesn't make sense even by time-travel standards.

And yeah, Final Wars has an alien invasion, mutants fighting with motorcycles, Godzilla using Anguirus as a soccer ball and Don Frye's mustache.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
To mock me, my regular schmegular Swedish HBO has granted me access to....WW84.

I guess I'll be back in this thread in about 4 months...

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

GvK will create a great 15 minute youtube video of the fight scenes but otherwise kinda sucked. thankfully I didn't even notice or care all that much because of how short it was. A nice change from the 2.5+ plus CGI bullshit we otherwise get.

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 1, 2021

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Jonah should return in the future as an even more radical total extinctionist with a GMO kaiju in tow to kill everything on the planet. None of this half-assed kill half Thanos bullshit. He will save Earth by eradicating all life, whether it be human, titan, or the scum growing in your pond. Then the aliens come in to save the day/escalate the conflict to prevent a terraforming candidate world from being ruined, saved, who the gently caress knows?

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Splint Chesthair posted:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Megalon came out one after another and each one manages to be goofier than the one before.

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah hinges on a time-travel plot that doesn't make sense even by time-travel standards.

And yeah, Final Wars has an alien invasion, mutants fighting with motorcycles, Godzilla using Anguirus as a soccer ball and Don Frye's mustache.

Don't forget blatantly ripping off The Matrix.

My seven year old LOVES Final Wars. Probably because it's non-stop craziness.

(And yes, I fully admit to loving that craziness too. Although VS Hedorah is still my jam.)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it broke the movies own internal logic and world building rules, but it was indeed the best part.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I said come in! posted:

it broke the movies own internal logic and world building rules, but it was indeed the best part.

Godzilla not giving a gently caress about logic or how the world works checks out

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Godzilla, your very existence defies physics! You should be too big to exist and collapse under your own weight!!!!"

Godzilla: RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH *steps on you*

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's actually sort of mundane for a character that shrugged off being shot with a blackhole.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best part about all that is, he wasn't even going after Kong

He felt Ghidorah coming from underground somewhere, Kong triggered the energy spike at the earth's core, Godzilla got confused and hit the wrong spot.

If you gave Godzilla dialogue across the movie it'd be variations of "GHIDORAH YOU THREE HEADED BITCH KING WHERE IS YOU! YOU THREE TIMES SHITTER I DO NOT GIVE A gently caress WHERE YOU HIDING I WILL FIND YOU! MONKE YOU BEST SIT DOWN I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR YOUR poo poo!"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked how Godzilla spares Kong because he recognizes that Kong is the closest thing he has to a peer

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mameluke posted:

I liked how Godzilla spares Kong because he recognizes that Kong is the closest thing he has to a peer

I got the opposite reading, he realized Kong wasn't able to beat him and so he let Kong live because he's not an actual provocation anymore

And then at the end they do the Kaiju equivalent of the Predator arm grasp

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

World building? No, Godzilla does the opposite by drilling a hole to the center of the Earth.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Shiftypenguin posted:

Don't forget blatantly ripping off The Matrix.

My seven year old LOVES Final Wars. Probably because it's non-stop craziness.

(And yes, I fully admit to loving that craziness too. Although VS Hedorah is still my jam.)

My only complaints about Final Wars is that it takes too long for Godzilla to enter the story and I think his design is terrible. A huge step down from the Millennium suit.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the ending reads pretty clearly to me as godzilla looking at kong and going "yeah, i'm stronger than you, but i don't need to fight you again to prove it, especially when you've had the poo poo beaten out of you this much." and kong thinks "yeah that's fair. don't rest on your laurels though."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Godzilla/Kong x Pacific Rim when?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
From the clips I saw on YouTube, I was really impressed at how Kong fought Godzilla the way a Kaiju sized human would-try to get around the bitey burny end and use superior agility to overcome him. Some scenes looked like they just motion captured a Floridan high on bath salts wrestling a gator in their backyard.

While an ape isn't a terribly unique look for a giant monster, especially compared to something like a MUTO or Ghidorah, it does serve as a great proxy for what the audience would be doing in that situation. Stay mobile, use terrain, point Godzilla's head away from you, put those opposible thumbs to use!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

teagone posted:

In my dreeeams

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ungulateman posted:

the ending reads pretty clearly to me as godzilla looking at kong and going "yeah, i'm stronger than you, but i don't need to fight you again to prove it, especially when you've had the poo poo beaten out of you this much." and kong thinks "yeah that's fair. don't rest on your laurels though."

Godzilla's suddenly exhausted "I'm too old for this poo poo" face when he turns around to lumber back to the ocean was so good.

teagone posted:

Not soon enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

McSpanky posted:

Godzilla's suddenly exhausted "I'm too old for this poo poo" face when he turns around to lumber back to the ocean was so good.

I appreciated Godzilla’s main contribution to the mecha G fight was getting the poo poo beaten out of him and then powering the axe from the ground as a “gently caress this, you deal with this”. He was over the fight long before it ended.