Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

hidden cup finals were AMAZING - the loving islands map was maybe the most entertaining game i've seen in a tournament, and then hearing hera explaining picking vietnamese with 'i forgot were were playing islands so didn't draft a good civ for it' lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I just like saying Jor-Dan with the big emphasis on the D

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The Vipah does it agai... oh wait.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I just like saying Jor-Dan with the big emphasis on the D

Do you day Bact or Bac-T?

First time I managed to watch the Hidden Cup live on twitch, in the past I just watched the matches on YouTube while doing the dishes or other stuff.

It's a lot more thrilling live.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

bac-T all day

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Angry Lobster posted:

The Vipah does it agai... oh wait.

Friendship ended with snek. Now Hera is my best friend

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Milo and POTUS posted:

Friendship ended with snek. Now Yo DauT Hera is my best friend

\/e: That game was nuts. It's not often you see all the wood get chopped on Arabia.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 22, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was shocked how fast mayan skirmishers were able to take down rams.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nWsPZ4yfrE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Heads up, new event

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Are the players themselves really that negative about Hidden Cup? From a viewers perspective I really enjoyed it but I agree that the event needs to be split up more, the streams just were too long and it was impossible to watch everything every day.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

FrickenMoron posted:

Are the players themselves really that negative about Hidden Cup? From a viewers perspective I really enjoyed it but I agree that the event needs to be split up more, the streams just were too long and it was impossible to watch everything every day.

Only the finals were played live, so the players probably wouldn't have that same exhaustion since they played during the week. The biggest complaint I've hear from the players is that during the best-of-7 sets there was some weirdness over who picked some of the next map. Viper thought one of the games was his choice but it was Hera's, which confused both of them.

I was fine with the schedule but I could understand why viewers would find it grinding.

I actually had that same complaint about the "Queens Clash" a few weeks ago. It was a neat idea but they crammed waaaaaaaay too many games into one weekend. They had a silver league and a gold league but the silver league went long and none of the gold league games were broadcast except for the final set.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I spent the first two days of HC4 watching the games but by the time the final day came I was way too burned out and only tuned back in for the final, in which I only really watched a couple of games.

They really need to split things up into multiple weekends but I don't know if viewer burnout is even on their radar given how successful the whole thing was and how hyped some people were to binge the entire thing over 4 days.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

At least we were graced with Celt Paladins, genuinely one of the funniest AOE2 matches I have ever seen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lawman 0 posted:

At least we were graced with Celt Paladins, genuinely one of the funniest AOE2 matches I have ever seen.

Who would do such a thing.

Also, I finished the event and my Kings-> queens doesn't work

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Beat my first hard AI today :toot:
Picked the game up the other day after not having played it for like 20 years. :v: I was Franks vs AI Brits and jfc it was a slog. Took almost two hours and I was sitting on a shitton of unused resources for like the last hour or so (except gold, being bad at knight micro runs you out of that poo poo fast). I got up to a decent economy pretty early but then just completely failed to do anything useful with it for ages and ages. In the end I had to basically club it to death in endless streams of pikemen, light cav and elite skirmishers.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 1, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Anybody having issues with MP in this game on steam today? Can't get multiplayer to even show up as an option

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Statutory Ape posted:

Anybody having issues with MP in this game on steam today? Can't get multiplayer to even show up as an option

Same here. I saw something about scheduled downtime but that was on Tuesday, so long past now.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

I just checked and it's working for me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yep, back up here as well thanks yal

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Lots of news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTaCrP_U4ao

https://www.ageofempires.com/games/age-of-empires-iv/

Spirit of the Law breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR0LDwpTVVU&t=15s

Chinese and Dehli Sultanate for Age 4. Seems to be a much higher focus on bonuses/abilities, especially for the civs, like the Sultanate scholars or the Chinese dynasty mechanics.

Age 2 and 3 getting expacs as well- Age 2's is called Dawn of the Dukes, with a focus on Eastern Europe. Also co-op campaigns/battles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1pyLnr16mY

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

re the trailer:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm not liking AoE's IV aesthethic and to be honest, I'm not confident that Relic can pull off a good game like this.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Huh, seems like the longbowmen might be getting some kind of stakes ability.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Apparently AoE3 is getting an African-themed expansion in the future, which is great. I imagine the next AoE2 DLC will include Poles and/or Georgians considering they're very highly requested wherever you check.

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm not liking AoE's IV aesthethic and to be honest, I'm not confident that Relic can pull off a good game like this.

Yeah I hadn't realized it was Relic developing it lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Klaus88 posted:

It's not fair that one unit can counter the transylvanians

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Azran posted:

Apparently AoE3 is getting an African-themed expansion in the future, which is great. I imagine the next AoE2 DLC will include Poles and/or Georgians considering they're very highly requested wherever you check.

It would be funny if there's gonna be more Slavic civs considering there's already Slavs (and Bulgarians). They could rename Slavs to Russians while adding Poles, I guess.
Georgians would also be interesting. Would love to see Avars and the OG Prussians as well.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Haha, the weird archer/arrows that everyone is freaking out about were a change "demanded" by the pro-player council. Originally they shot and reloaded more realistically but the players said they felt slow and you couldn't micro with them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Gonna be honest, that did not look good at all. At least AoE 2 getting more support is cool!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Haha, the weird archer/arrows that everyone is freaking out about were a change "demanded" by the pro-player council. Originally they shot and reloaded more realistically but the players said they felt slow and you couldn't micro with them.

I'm not sure what you're talking about? Who's complaining about arrows?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

If typical to previous Relic releases, it will be pleasant to look at and be fun, but will have jank, balance, and mechanics problems that are never solved and prevent it from being taken seriously as a competitive game, even if it is marketed as such.

E: and if it's at Dawn of War III tier of quality it will be DOA

Name Change fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 12, 2021

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Also easy to abuse gameplay mechanics that are infuriating in multiplayer.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about? Who's complaining about arrows?

Not necessarily in here but it's been a common reaction to the reveal on the normie sites.

The only Relic game I'm familiar with is CoH1 which is a masterpiece, I can only assume their other games are excellent also. :colbert:

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 12, 2021

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Not necessarily in here but it's been a common reaction to the reveal on the normie sites.

The only Relic game I'm familiar with is CoH1 which is a masterpiece, I can only assume their other games are excellent also. :colbert:

CoH1 was amazing, even if it had its rough edges. CoH2 eventually blossomed into a good successor to 1 but the early days were very rough, and it didn't help that its singleplayer campaign was very sympathetic towards the nazis while playing as the Soviets in MP meant having to deal with all the lovely Soviet stereotypes taken straight out of a nazi memoir. Like a game taking place in 1944 shouldn't have raw recruits be the mainstay of the Soviet Army wtf
On the 40k side of things, Dawn of War 1 was good, Dawn of War 2 is either bad or good depending on how much you like base building, while Dawn of War 3 killed the franchise.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't really get the complaint about archers- they're RTS units, you kinda need to be able to see where they're shooting and what they are- comically big weapons are a good way of making a unit identifiable.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Angry Lobster posted:

Is there any overlap at all between the IV teamand the AoK DE team?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 12, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Angry Lobster posted:

Me neither really, sadly.

Hopefully it evolves into a good game, but, if not, what they've done with AOE2 is absolutely enough to qualify as a sequel in my books tbh! Now, if only somebody would give HOMM3 that treatment...

I'm also glad i'm not the only one that liked COH more than COH2, even if COH2 is a fun game to play casually in a LAN or whatever.

E: tho realistically I don't do much 'competitive' gaming, outside of obviously trying to win when i play a team game with/against my friends or pugs

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Is there any overlap at all between the IV teamand the AoK DE team?

There's some, AoE2: DE has been co-developed by Forgotten Studios, Tantalus and Wicked Witch, the former made the expansion packs for HD and has close ties with Microsoft, and the later are independent studios. AoE4 is aparently developed by Relic and World's Edge. World's Edge belongs to Microsoft and acts as the overseer for all AoE related content, including the first three remasters, also it seems that AoE4 has been developed alongside the DE edition.

Check this interview: https://www.windowscentral.com/age-of-empires-iv

Statutory Ape posted:

Me neither really, sadly.

Hopefully it evolves into a good game, but, if not, what they've done with AOE2 is absolutely enough to qualify as a sequel in my books tbh! Now, if only somebody would give HOMM3 that treatment...

I'm also glad i'm not the only one that liked COH more than COH2, even if COH2 is a fun game to play casually in a LAN or whatever.

E: tho realistically I don't do much 'competitive' gaming, outside of obviously trying to win when i play a team game with/against my friends or pugs

I too hope for AoE 4 to become a great game, however my hot take is that Relic has a tendency to make solid games with rough edges and without good multiplayer support. For example, DoW1 was good but needing some polish and the multiplayer went from decent to abysmal over the course of its life (also, gently caress GameSpy, forever).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm still sad Age of Mythology has been quietly forgotten and it only received a half-assed expansion that probably killed that offshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm still sad Age of Mythology has been quietly forgotten and it only received a half-assed expansion that probably killed that offshoot.
They said that they have not forgotten about AoM couple days ago:
https://www.pcgamer.com/age-of-empires-developers-have-not-forgotten-about-age-of-mythology/