Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What are the best vampire games? I'll take theme and/or gameplay, e.g.:

- best of both worlds: vampire: the masquerade bloodlines has one of the best vampire storylines, and even integrates some of the good gameplay, as in you can hunt people in alleys and eat them for blood, then turn blood into powers you can use. Good stuff.

- story: vampyr, as the struggle of this good and honorable man struggling with needing to eat people is good. the gameplay, ehh.

- gameplay: streets of rogue. playing as a vampire is honestly amazing as you hunt people in alleys, you can weaponize your bite (as it stunlocks anyone you bite) and it forces you to really deal with blood as your only sustenance as you can't eat food. sadly it doesn't really play into other vampire powers, but at least you can fight werewolves.

I'll take any form of game, visual novel, action, whatever. I have played the entirety of the Legacy of Kain saga and own all of the Vampire: the Masquerade stuff on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

StrixNebulosa posted:

- best of both worlds: vampire: the masquerade bloodlines has one of the best vampire storylines, and even integrates some of the good gameplay, as in you can hunt people in alleys and eat them for blood, then turn blood into powers you can use. Good stuff.

- story: vampyr, as the struggle of this good and honorable man struggling with needing to eat people is good. the gameplay, ehh.

- gameplay: streets of rogue. playing as a vampire is honestly amazing as you hunt people in alleys, you can weaponize your bite (as it stunlocks anyone you bite) and it forces you to really deal with blood as your only sustenance as you can't eat food. sadly it doesn't really play into other vampire powers, but at least you can fight werewolves.

I'll take any form of game, visual novel, action, whatever. I have played the entirety of the Legacy of Kain saga and own all of the Vampire: the Masquerade stuff on steam.

If you like roguelikes, Golden Krone Hotel does some pretty cool stuff with vampirism. (The whole game revolves around it). It’s also a fairly low weight roguelike as far as that goes. Check the reviews- it’s pretty well regarded.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Shadow Hearts: Covenant featuring Joachim Valentine, the gay wrestling vampire who puts on a butterfly mask for ultimate power and fights using discarded sewer pipe, British post boxes, or miniature office buildings and Nautilus subs

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Bloodrayne for og xbox

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chinook posted:

If you like roguelikes, Golden Krone Hotel does some pretty cool stuff with vampirism. (The whole game revolves around it). It’s also a fairly low weight roguelike as far as that goes. Check the reviews- it’s pretty well regarded.

:doh: I forgot about that!!! I love it a lot!

Hwurmp posted:

Shadow Hearts: Covenant featuring Joachim Valentine, the gay wrestling vampire who puts on a butterfly mask for ultimate power and fights using discarded sewer pipe, British post boxes, or miniature office buildings and Nautilus subs

Okay this sounds awesome, I'll dig out a PS2 emulator or something!!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Bloodrayne for og xbox

That's on steam now! I should pick it up and play it, thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shadow Hearts is good but honestly not a good rec if you're looking to explore some vampire themes; I'm just compelled to mention Joachim every time I hear somebody ask about vampires

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Hwurmp posted:

Shadow Hearts is good but honestly not a good rec if you're looking to explore some vampire themes; I'm just compelled to mention Joachim every time I hear somebody ask about vampires

Just played this recently. Got sort of far (maybe about 20 hours in) and enjoyed my time with it. The battle system is very mechanically robust and each character has different systems that you can interact with to help you in battle. The only real issue is despite all this stuff the game is really, really easy, so if you do engage with those systems and understand them even just a little bit you're pretty much on easy street for the rest of the game. This is what made me lose interest and quit, but
it had very charming characters and Joachim rocks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mostly I only know games that incidentally included vampires without them necessarily being the main enemy like the Witcher series or Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4. Witcher 3's take on vampires is particularly developed.

There is Thousand Year Old Vampire, but that's a solo writing game instead of a videogame.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is Thousand Year Old Vampire, but that's a solo writing game instead of a videogame.
I seriously cannot recommend TYOV highly enough. It hits some of the thematic beats of being and playing a monstrous immortal and keeping a tenuous grip on your humanity better than just about any other game I've played. TYOV feels exactly like what you wish a tabletop campaign of Vampire the Masquerade could be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mostly I only know games that incidentally included vampires without them necessarily being the main enemy like the Witcher series or Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4. Witcher 3's take on vampires is particularly developed.

Ah! I picked this up and then never did anything with it, because I'm smart like that. Going to read it now!

PS Thousand Year Old Vampire is also available at itch.io!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's hard to appreciate some of what Shadow Hearts: Covenant does unless you've played through the first game, but it's kind of a mess. On the other hand it's only about 20-25 hours, so it's not like you lose that much time. But even though both games feature vampires, you really wouldn't describe them as vampire games.

There's an ongoing LP if you're interested in checking it out without playing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gabriel Knight 3. (not a joke recommendation, people often ridicule it for that cat hair mustache thing that occurs ten minutes in that was put there against the writer's wishes, but in truth it's one of the most intricate adventure games out there)

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Is there any remotely modern game that comes close to getting the spirit of Toy Commander?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

field balm posted:

Hi thread, just got a pc that can play games for the first time in 10 years or so. I'd like a 3d game that is open world or sandbox with a focus on fun movement. I don't really know how to explain it, but something like the movement in mirrors edge, or the wire/parachute combo in just cause 2 that makes simple traversal of an environment engaging and lets you kind of zone out and just explore. Skate 3 or skiing in goldsrc games kinda come to mind as well. Maybe a driving/vehicle sim with a big open world and heavy customisation? Idk just gently caress me up really.

Titanfall 2 isn't what you want - it's not an open world, it's an on-rails corridor FPS - but it does have the best and most fun movement I've played in a game maybe ever. The "makes simple traversal of an environment engaging" factor is off the charts high. You aren't exploring except sometimes looking around to figure out how to solve a movement puzzle that's right in front of you, and I wouldn't recommend it as the thing you're exactly looking for, but still I'd put it on a wish list and look out for a sale because it's just too good at what it does.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

field balm posted:

Hi thread, just got a pc that can play games for the first time in 10 years or so. I'd like a 3d game that is open world or sandbox with a focus on fun movement. I don't really know how to explain it, but something like the movement in mirrors edge, or the wire/parachute combo in just cause 2 that makes simple traversal of an environment engaging and lets you kind of zone out and just explore. Skate 3 or skiing in goldsrc games kinda come to mind as well. Maybe a driving/vehicle sim with a big open world and heavy customisation? Idk just gently caress me up really.

Dying Light is an open-world zombie game with Mirror's Edge-style parkour, and eventually a grappling hook that can zip you up to nearby roofs

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

I liked it a lot when I played 3 years ago and I'm not even a hardcore cRPG guy! A lot of the quests connect with each other in fun ways and I felt like that made them all flow nicely. Good writing. I didn't run into the Jewish Gnome but maybe that's cause I played as a gnome?

Anyway, I've been playing BOTW again and having a great time watching the creatures and their animations (watch some peblitts try to chase you and your heart will melt). I love how every character is pretty charming and/or adorable. Are there any other games with lots of fun creatures? It could be an open world RPG or a linear action game or some weird life sim. I just want to see lots of cute monsters and animations.

Last Guardian is one of my favorite games but I love meeting new creatures, which Last Guardian doesn't have a lot (great animations and behaviors for the creature though). 3d is definitely my preference but if a 2d game has enough detail it could work. I've don't really have much experience with the Zelda series, I'd see friends play them as a kid but when i would try it I'd get too bored in the first few hours to continue.

Bugsnax

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
So I'm in the mood for some beating up vast quantities of monsters and stealing their pants to make myself stronger, but I don't feel like going back to Grim Dawn yet again. How does Chronicon hold up? It seems pretty interesting, but I'd love to hear some goon opinions before making the jump and purchasing it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Whats the best iOS CCG if I want to spend as little as possible? I care more about fun and deck variety than climbing ranks, but being at least a bit competitive would be nice.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Eternal Card Game is incredibly free to play friendly. It's going to be very familiar if you have played MTG. Money will always help of course, but the game let's you craft easily, and dumps out lots of big rewards.

Slay the Spire is single player, but it's a lot of fun. It's a Rogue like deck building game where you draft your deck against an AI and pick up relics with super powers as you battle through a dungeon. Like Dominion meets Rogue, meets MTG arena.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Danakir posted:

So I'm in the mood for some beating up vast quantities of monsters and stealing their pants to make myself stronger, but I don't feel like going back to Grim Dawn yet again. How does Chronicon hold up? It seems pretty interesting, but I'd love to hear some goon opinions before making the jump and purchasing it.

Chronicon is the best ARPG / Hack & Slash that I know of.
Usually, this is a genre with very little respect for your time. Chronicon is the game that respect you the most. Plenty of QoL, fun theorycrafting and builds, interesting high level content.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

eSporks posted:

Eternal Card Game is incredibly free to play friendly. It's going to be very familiar if you have played MTG. Money will always help of course, but the game let's you craft easily, and dumps out lots of big rewards.

Slay the Spire is single player, but it's a lot of fun. It's a Rogue like deck building game where you draft your deck against an AI and pick up relics with super powers as you battle through a dungeon. Like Dominion meets Rogue, meets MTG arena.

Thanks, I was looking both at Eternal and Legends of Runeterra, because the thread seemed more active here.

Slay the Spire is a great game, but I’m looking for cheap Magic right now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fat Samurai posted:

Whats the best iOS CCG if I want to spend as little as possible? I care more about fun and deck variety than climbing ranks, but being at least a bit competitive would be nice.
I'll second Eternal, it's very fun and extremely "fair". There's a thread somewhere. Advice: Don't spend your in-game currency on packs, once you get the hang of the mechanics then drafts (vs players and vs AI) are much better value.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

Could I get a recommendation for a simple PS4 game that I can play couch co-op with my dad?

He is a bit older and not a gamer, so simple and easy is better. The only game he plays on the PS4 is Everybody's Golf (which he probably has 5000 hours on).

I tried Overcooked last time I visited but he wasn't a big fan.

Thanks to everyone that recommended a game. I ended up buying Streets of Rage 4. He was able to pick up the basics fairly quickly, and we beat the game (on Easy mode). :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What are the best co-op survival games? Don't say Raft, we got stuck in Raft thanks to the shark eating our engines and we want something else to play.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StrixNebulosa posted:

What are the best co-op survival games? Don't say Raft, we got stuck in Raft thanks to the shark eating our engines and we want something else to play.
Don't Starve Together
Valheilm is good and survival light
Project Zomboid is project zomboid, the fancy new overhaul won't have multiplayer for a couple of months but the pre overhaul is still multiplayer

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Don't Starve Together is wonderful, but you have to buy into the Klei principle that dying repeatedly is fun. I hear marvelous things about Valheim; in particular, the emergent narrative is often really funny.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

7 Days To Die is a big one, and Rust is experiencing a resurgence of popularity lately. If you're more into exploration and finding resources to craft things, you might want to give Astroneer a try.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't Starve Together is wonderful, but you have to buy into the Klei principle that dying repeatedly is fun. I hear marvelous things about Valheim; in particular, the emergent narrative is often really funny.

What I think is most wrong about Don't Starve Together is that when you die you stay dead and then you have to wonder whether or not it's worth one player continuing on living after the other is dead and just hanging around as a ghost.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SlothfulCobra posted:

7 Days To Die is a big one, and Rust is experiencing a resurgence of popularity lately. If you're more into exploration and finding resources to craft things, you might want to give Astroneer a try.

What I think is most wrong about Don't Starve Together is that when you die you stay dead and then you have to wonder whether or not it's worth one player continuing on living after the other is dead and just hanging around as a ghost.
You turn into a ghost and can resurrect from a few one-shot locations or some craftable items. Or you can turn on Endless mode and resurrect infinitely from the spawn point. You take maximum health damage which you can restore with other craftables.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can make items that resurrect the dead (fairly) easily.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

100% Valheim. I don't even like survival/building games normally and this sucked me right in. The Forest was also pretty fun when we tried it but too creepy/janky.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

are there strategy games with great trap design systems? Dungeon Keeper and evil genius have/had an assortment of traps such as magnets, boulders, pirahna tanks, tesla coils, etc that you could build to defend your base, but you had to think a little on how best to combine them and not make your own personnel fall victim to them. Are there other games with similarly satisfying ways of indirect, automated defenses?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

are there strategy games with great trap design systems? Dungeon Keeper and evil genius have/had an assortment of traps such as magnets, boulders, pirahna tanks, tesla coils, etc that you could build to defend your base, but you had to think a little on how best to combine them and not make your own personnel fall victim to them. Are there other games with similarly satisfying ways of indirect, automated defenses?

Dungeon warfare I and II. It's a tower defense game but the traps are really satisfying

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 5, 2021

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

double nine posted:

Rimworld is all about kill box design on harder difficulties.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Pharnakes posted:

Rimworld is all about kill box design on harder difficulties.

One problem with Rimworld is that eventually you might just say "screw it" and go with the more game-effective killbox designs, which are efficient but rather unfun to play and/or watch. A few mods should fix that, though, and significantly broaden your horizons while also adding some pretty warcrimey options (funneling raiders into a tunnel maze that you then seal and set on fire is a fan favorite).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

double nine posted:

If you're OK with tower defense, you could try Orcs Must Die.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

double nine posted:

I gotchu, bro.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Oldstench posted:

If you're OK with tower defense, you could try Orcs Must Die.

Fun and goofyass game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Orcs Must Die and OMD2 are both fantastic.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Dungeon Warfare was kinda fun but the traps can miss randomly and the enemy wave balance is loving infuriating because some boards wait until the last wave to send a shitload of heavy units or something that will absolutely wreck you unless you make a board to counter it. Meaning you're probably just going to waste your first run on a board learning what the final wave of gently caress you is so you can build your traps to counter it.

Orcs Must Die has a lot more wiggle room and I'd recommend it over Dungeon Warfare. I didn't try Dungeon Warfare 2 though, maybe the enemy waves are better balanced in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Is there a good ‘babby’s first war game?

I’ve played RTS and 4X and tactics games but never hex based war games.

I like management games and sims and figured I’d give war games a shot.

Shadow Empire caught my attention in a recent RPS article and I never messed with supply lines and logistics.

I am not looking for The Best war game -more like - the most Approachable to the war game genre overall?

I’d prefer modern and sci-fi settings over fantasy but not picky if it’s a good game.