Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don’t see a thread about the game in the mobile sub forum but the mobile game Dragon Quest of the Stars is shutting down after a little over a year release in the west. Lotta angry whales online who sunk gatcha-size funds into this only to learn it’s going down a month or two after the big one year celebration.

The fact that a Dragon Quest gacha game is (presumably) unprofitable enough that it's getting shut down sure is damning. Feels like even a mediocre game would've had enough momentum by virtue of name alone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Srice posted:

The fact that a Dragon Quest gacha game is (presumably) unprofitable enough that it's getting shut down sure is damning. Feels like even a mediocre game would've had enough momentum by virtue of name alone!

The game itself was basically a menu clicker stuck in 2015.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Why can't they just make a Dragon Quest Battle of Wesnoth type game for mobile and sell it for $15 or something? Why does every mobile game have to be this ftp gacha bullshit

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Flavius Aetass posted:

Why can't they just make a Dragon Quest Battle of Wesnoth type game for mobile and sell it for $15 or something? Why does every mobile game have to be this ftp gacha bullshit

:capitalism:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

If something like DQ Tact existed in non-gacha form I'd pay full fuckin price for it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

If something like DQ Tact existed in non-gacha form I'd pay full fuckin price for it

Yeah Tact owns. I'm not going to spend money on it but it's held my attention since release. I also REALLY like tactics games so even if it were a bad game I'd probably play it anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don’t see a thread about the game in the mobile sub forum but the mobile game Dragon Quest of the Stars is shutting down after a little over a year release in the west. Lotta angry whales online who sunk gatcha-size funds into this only to learn it’s going down a month or two after the big one year celebration.

Sadly not surprising. They launched what, 6-7 years later in global using gacha and gameplay mechanics that everyone else has long since moved on from? Gating stuff like faster game speed behind a loving subscription is insanity (DQ Tact does this too) and the game just wasn't friendly to casual gameplay or even occasional spending. You either had to go hard or go away.

Srice posted:

Pretty sure this is just the global version, though DQ Tact (and their Pokemon Go clone) are much better options for the Japanese market too so :shrug:

If DQotS came out globally 6 months after it launched in Japan that'd have been one thing but their global launch was like the equivalent of taking 2014 Puzzle & Dragon and releasing it today.

Harrow posted:

I've wanted a Dragon Quest Tactics game ever since FFT came out on the PSX and while DQ Tact is fine for casual play it'll probably fail too because the gacha is unforgiving. I was lucky and pulled Zoma on a single 10-pull but you need dupes to max a character's stats and so on. It has some fun gameplay though and the battle roads having limited units is very cool (but also pushes the gacha on you).

The worst part is, their mobile games struggling will probably make them decide to not release the next DQM game outside of Japan. I hope Tact at least stays afloat but it doesn't really make me feel like spending. With SaGa Re:Universe I occasionally get the 30 day login build at least (and that game dumps tons of free currency/pulls on you too).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

The worst part is, their mobile games struggling will probably make them decide to not release the next DQM game outside of Japan.
Why would mobile do this and not the established pattern that we already didn't get DQM: Terry's Wonderland :(

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Flavius Aetass posted:

Because they can make more money if they manage to hook in a bunch of gambling addicts.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

Nintendo tried making a mobile game you pay for once and then their Fire Emblem gacha outperformed it a bazillion times over :negative:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I super wish the Pokemon Picross model took over. It was F2P with its own currency system that unlocked more puzzles, but once you've bought an accumulated $30 worth of the gems it just gives you unlimited and you can't give the game anymore money.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I super wish the Pokemon Picross model took over. It was F2P with its own currency system that unlocked more puzzles, but once you've bought an accumulated $30 worth of the gems it just gives you unlimited and you can't give the game anymore money.
I agree with you...but of course, the obvious retort from marketing is that anybody who's willing to give us $30 would probably have been willing to go up to at least $31, if not much more; why put a hard-cap on how much people might be willing to spend?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Srice posted:

Nintendo tried making a mobile game you pay for once and then their Fire Emblem gacha outperformed it a bazillion times over :negative:

The weirdest part of the Super Mario Run thing was that every article I saw about it at the time included some armchair marketing guru opinion from the reviewer about how this game was dumb because Nintendo wasn't monetizing it enough and how they were squandering opportunities to make a mint.

In console/PC games you get a lot of critical reviews that boil it down to "Is this game worth paying $60 for?" and in mobile game spaces you get... whatever the opposite of that is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why would mobile do this and not the established pattern that we already didn't get DQM: Terry's Wonderland :(

Because while we didn't get Terry's Wonderland we did get DQXI (eventually) which sold really well so hopefully SE takes the hint and gives us DQM and then maybe a remake of Joker 3 on the Switch or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've wanted a Dragon Quest Tactics game ever since FFT came out on the PSX and while DQ Tact is fine for casual play it'll probably fail too because the gacha is unforgiving. I was lucky and pulled Zoma on a single 10-pull but you need dupes to max a character's stats and so on. It has some fun gameplay though and the battle roads having limited units is very cool (but also pushes the gacha on you).

Yeah, I think if there was a Dragon Quest Monsters Tactics game I would slam preorder on that in a second. As it is, DQ Tact is okay to screw around with on my phone while I'm doing something else, but a monsters-themed DQ Tactics RPG would be incredible as a full game.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because while we didn't get Terry's Wonderland we did get DQXI (eventually) which sold really well so hopefully SE takes the hint and gives us DQM and then maybe a remake of Joker 3 on the Switch or something.

I straight up bought a Japanese 3ds for the DQM2 remake and played it all the way up to the deep endgame despite knowing next to no Japanese. I love the DQM series and have no idea why they didn't catch on harder beyond having next to no marketing.

I'd loving kill for a switch port of the games we missed, or at least the Monster game that's currently in development hell

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Deki posted:

I'd loving kill for a switch port of the games we missed, or at least the Monster game that's currently in development hell

Same. The Monsters series is actually what got me interested in Dragon Quest, all the way back with the first Joker game. Would absolutely love official releases for Joker 3, etc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The first Dragon Warrior Monsters was my introduction to the franchise. I hate that they're just not interested in bringing it over to the states anymore.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

It's such a shame, because the Monsters series (imo at least) offers such a fresh take on the whole "catch monsters and use them in battle" genre.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hey friends, who would you say was probably your favorite Dragon Quest Demon King.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey friends, who would you say was probably your favorite Dragon Quest Demon King.

Builders 2 Malroth

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rhapthorne, probably.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

THINGS PAST RETURN TO ME

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK so I think I might want to try a DQ Builders game. A friend/neighbor of mine said he loved DQB and played it a ton but according to him he's not interested in DQB2 because it's not meaningfully different from DQB1 and doesn't add enough extra stuff for the game to be worth it to him.

Should I jump to DQB2 or should I just play DQB1 and skip DQB2 or should I play both?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nimzo and Rhapthorne are thicc boys.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so I think I might want to try a DQ Builders game. A friend/neighbor of mine said he loved DQB and played it a ton but according to him he's not interested in DQB2 because it's not meaningfully different from DQB1 and doesn't add enough extra stuff for the game to be worth it to him.

Should I jump to DQB2 or should I just play DQB1 and skip DQB2 or should I play both?

2 is pretty much better in every way, but I still think 1 is worth a playthrough

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Elephant Ambush posted:

To put it simply, Your friend is loving wrong. DQB2 doesn't require any knowledge of the first game beyond a couple in-jokes. It's worth it for the quality of life changes alone, to say nothing of having decent writing and plenty of building improvements. (Having upgrades to wipe out 3x3 and 5x5 chunks of land in one hit is so huge, it's hard to go to other building games now)

DQB1 is a decent game in its own right though, to be clear.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Yeah, I played DQB1 and enjoyed it, but that's partially because I like DQ1, but more because it's a charming game, obviously crafted with love of DQ. I've yet to play DQB2 yet, but I imagine the ties to DQ2 help in a similar fashion.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Luceo posted:

Yeah, I played DQB1 and enjoyed it, but that's partially because I like DQ1, but more because it's a charming game, obviously crafted with love of DQ. I've yet to play DQB2 yet, but I imagine the ties to DQ2 help in a similar fashion.

You are correct, it's supposed to take place after the events of DQ2, with all the questions that raises.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I really hope if/when they announced DQB3 that it's set in the world you leave behind and you're fixing all the damage caused by Baramos and his minions before he was defeated and the chaos of Zoma announcing himself and the hero effectively disappearing right afterwards and never coming back.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The DQB3 builder will be one of the contractors hired to build xxxx-burg/xxxx-town and was directly responsible for jailing the merchant in charge of that town.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Sadly, with the director gone I don't know if we ever will get dqb3.

I hope in my heart of hearts that we do, but... Well, capitalism, I guess.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Deki posted:

I straight up bought a Japanese 3ds for the DQM2 remake and played it all the way up to the deep endgame despite knowing next to no Japanese. I love the DQM series and have no idea why they didn't catch on harder beyond having next to no marketing.

There's a full fan translation out for this now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Not an april fool's prank either. Incredible news, I had lost hope it would ever get translated.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

bentacos posted:

2 is pretty much better in every way, but I still think 1 is worth a playthrough

Drakenel posted:

To put it simply, Your friend is loving wrong. DQB2 doesn't require any knowledge of the first game beyond a couple in-jokes. It's worth it for the quality of life changes alone, to say nothing of having decent writing and plenty of building improvements. (Having upgrades to wipe out 3x3 and 5x5 chunks of land in one hit is so huge, it's hard to go to other building games now)

DQB1 is a decent game in its own right though, to be clear.

Thanks. I'll start with DQB1 because I still genuinely like DQ1 to this day. I play it once a year or so because I can finish it quickly and it's fun to try to optimize my route (I am not a speedrunner).

Anyway I never actually finished DQ2 so I'll try DQB1, then play DQ2 and then DQB2 should make more sense. I like having the story background between games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fwiw I've never come close to beating either dq1 or 2 and had a blast with both builders games

The second is definitely better than the first and has a stupid large demo with progress that carries over

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure 2's demo save carries over too. It's what sold a friend on the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
started DQ11S, took the precaution this time of installing the mod that swaps out all its music with DQ8's

too bad the fight themes are awful across both games

e: god i despise this man's music. disney's fantasia with a frontal lobotomy. a brass section that sounds like chronic flatulence. these loving piccolos

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 2, 2021

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

spacebard posted:

There's a full fan translation out for this now.

Interesting!

I have no idea how I'm gonna patch my 3ds cart but I'll have to figure that out .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm pretty sure 2's demo save carries over too. It's what sold a friend on the game.

Yep, it does. Decently lengthy demo, too.

Deki posted:

Interesting!

I have no idea how I'm gonna patch my 3ds cart but I'll have to figure that out .

You can sideload patches on the fly with Luma CFW I think, but failing that you can dump the cart and patch it or just run it in Citra.