Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I love raids. Whats the point of walls without something to keep out? If you don't want raids start a server and don't kill any bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bioshuffle posted:

I've just about had it. If it happens again, I am just going to use cheats to cancel them out. Do any of you enjoy them? Tell me why you think it should stay in the game.

Lots of people (myself included) love the risk of our stuff being broken. It's a big part of why Creepers are such popular enemies in minecraft!

It adds functional constrains to your building plans, and most people enjoy those constraints and the sense that things they are building are not just pretty but also useful.

Bioshuffle posted:

Are they trying to discourage people from building a centralized base?

They are a lot more risky to smaller bases, big centralized bases usually end up immune to raids because there's nowhere for the raiders to spawn, don't they? And obviously centralized bases are a lot easier to set up defenses for.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

fennesz posted:

I feel like people are ignoring the spiked stakes for defenses. I can safely ignore skeletons, greydwarves, and occasionally fulings (at my smaller outposts) thanks to spiked stakes. Just run around and repair them every few days to make sure you don't have to constantly farm up more core wood to replace them if they break.

Wait, do stakes actually consume the wood if they break? I thought broken stuff just turned into it's component pieces.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Glass of Milk posted:

Wait, do stakes actually consume the wood if they break? I thought broken stuff just turned into it's component pieces.

Stakes do not, which might be a bug.

They're not as ugly as trenches, but I still don't like them and having to repair them constantly is a pain.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like raids for the atmosphere more than anything. But they also keep things fun in a SimCity disaster kind of way. I know when I'm running low on food I have to hunt, and the number one reason why is for a troll raid (or worse). It's nice having to justify hunting/farming/eating/wall effort.

Also, after I've built something I've usually either learned something new or hosed something up. Being forced to rebuild is a little rewarding, because I might otherwise just leave it as-is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's fun to open the gate and stand there letting idiots smash themselves on your shield and get murderized. The skeleton surprise is my favorite.

Though we seem to get a disproportionate number of troll attacks, in which case I gotta run out into the meadows and keep them from the constructions.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Skeleton surprise is also my favorite but troll attack is fun bc it feels more serious as the trolls can smash your poo poo in a real serious way. We had a troll attack our front wooden gate and smash it to pieces which was the perfect excuse to build a new one with stone.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the skeleton and Surtling ones aren't really threatening at all, turns it into more of a chore than anything. "Oh good, more useless bone fragments!"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I was more meaning like, things that would make use of fortifications.

It would be cool to place skeleton archers on the walls or something. They're skeletons, they don't need to eat or drink or do anything except shoot arrows at greydwarfs!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the skeleton and Surtling ones aren't really threatening at all, turns it into more of a chore than anything. "Oh good, more useless bone fragments!"

Bone arrows should be a constructable thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea that'd be a good dump for them in the pre-mountain era at least

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bone fertiliser, just like in my minecraft animes!!!

i like the raids; part of me thinks they should be opt-in, and part of me thinks they are a necessary constraint that makes you e.g. build walls, reinforced structures, etc. both parts, however, think there should be some actual fuckin' reward for them other than a pile of troll hide or bone fragments

maybe it'd be good to have basic infrequent raids and the ability to trigger harder ones for a given biome (e.g. guaranteed storms, guaranteed star'd enemies) that might drop some actual useful additional stuff, by sacrificing the boss summon items at the standing stones to bosses you've already slain

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the pathfinding AI is definitely good enough to have a proper AI fight over bases you build, so I would like to see that as an alternative to just "spawn a bunch of enemies for a few minutes"

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yea that'd be a good dump for them in the pre-mountain era at least

I still use wood arrows when I'm hunting deer. No use in wasting Needle Arrows when wood do the trick just fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think just letting you offload all your crap to a merchant and then adding the ability to buy normal resources would be a good way to make material grinds less annoying and also deal with all the poo poo you end up accumulating.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

I just lost a good portion of my base to trolls. By the time I was able to get to them, they had smashed a lot of my stuff to pieces and wiped out all of my wolves. Again. Crappy no star wolves, granted, but still.

What is the design philosophy behind base invasions? Is it a good mechanic? What is the point of them? Do the developers just want us to live in constant fear that our base is going to get smashed? Are they trying to discourage people from building a centralized base? Do they want people to cheese it with moats and pathing exploits?

I've just about had it. If it happens again, I am just going to use cheats to cancel them out. Do any of you enjoy them? Tell me why you think it should stay in the game.

I love them but wish they were harder or more contextual. They're in a weird space where some people get completely shrek'd by them and for others it's not even an inconvenience, just idiot mobs confused where to pathfind or slapping at walls. Long-term I think they need more passive defense options, but that may be just my general desire for Tower Defense bleeding through.

Surtling invasions are a joke, partially because the enemies themselves are a joke, but also because nothing can catch fire. Invasion of surtlings should be terrifying for wooden structure bases, instead its just free surtling core delivery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the one time I got surtlings they walked into the pond and died.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
The ability to build some kind of static defense like catapults or those ballista things would be pretty sweet for invasions. Maybe barrels of flaming tar you could knock over the edge of your walls? I like the invasions but agree that there’s a lot of potential for improvement.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think it's criminal that the "best" spear is just a wolf tooth on a stick. The Ancient Spear looks so drat cool, then the Fang Spear is just meh.

Khanstant posted:

Surtling invasions are a joke, partially because the enemies themselves are a joke, but also because nothing can catch fire. Invasion of surtlings should be terrifying for wooden structure bases, instead its just free surtling core delivery.

And if there's something mechanically that can't let structures get the fire status effect, at least make them weak to fire damage.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
After postponing the Bonemass fight for ages, as I'm not too fond of boss fights and the Elder was harsh, he was shockingly easy. I had almost seven minutes left on the poison res and didnt use any of the way too many medium health potions I'd brewd.

Elder that I'm sure most people are way beyond: I died so many times trying to melee before crafting fire arrows, yeesh..

I'm in a large mountain area now and I've only had the bone ding once for silver. How picky is the bone, do you need to run up and down, left right? I already relocated the forge by boat so, uh, I hope I'm missing something.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

valuum posted:

I'm in a large mountain area now and I've only had the bone ding once for silver. How picky is the bone, do you need to run up and down, left right? I already relocated the forge by boat so, uh, I hope I'm missing something.

The ping radius is fairly large so if you comb a large area and don't get any pings that is generally indicative of an area without many silver veins. It can happen.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think Bonemass' difficulty is overhyped by people that blitz into him undergeared and try using arrows. Poison resist mead and an iron mace and he's no issue.

As for the wishbone, it will ping more rapidly as you get close to the hidden thing. When it pings fast just dig there and hope it's a silver vein and not a skeleton with maybe a necklace on it.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The ping radius is fairly large so if you comb a large area and don't get any pings that is generally indicative of an area without many silver veins. It can happen.

Fuuuck. Boated [e: boated is totally a word] across the world with all my metal to settle down here. At least I still need pelts, so it's not a total loss to run another circle.

Floppychop posted:

I think Bonemass' difficulty is overhyped by people that blitz into him undergeared and try using arrows. Poison resist mead and an iron mace and he's no issue.

His attacks are so obvious too, with long windups, and the mob spawn that I was wary off is at most two-shotted. Not complaining though!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Floppychop posted:

I think it's criminal that the "best" spear is just a wolf tooth on a stick. The Ancient Spear looks so drat cool, then the Fang Spear is just meh.

:agreed:

I would take literally anything over the Fang Spear looks wise. But the Fang Spear is just too dang good to ignore.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On the server I played with my friends, Bonemass was probably the hardest boss with 8 people, but I attribute that mostly to the fact that most of us were using spears and atgeirs and bows, really only had one guy that focused on maces.

Most of us just solo'd the deer as we bumped into shrines, Elder is really easy with multiple people since he only really focuses on one and everyone else can just go ham with axes. Moder was a joke since she just couldn't figure out how to cope with circling on the ground to attack multiple people. Final guy who's name I cannot recall was hard until the fire resist pots finished brewing then it was just a curbstomp

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bioshuffle posted:

I just lost a good portion of my base to trolls. By the time I was able to get to them, they had smashed a lot of my stuff to pieces and wiped out all of my wolves. Again. Crappy no star wolves, granted, but still.

What is the design philosophy behind base invasions? Is it a good mechanic? What is the point of them? Do the developers just want us to live in constant fear that our base is going to get smashed? Are they trying to discourage people from building a centralized base? Do they want people to cheese it with moats and pathing exploits?

If you don't like the raids all you have to do is stay out of sight, they stop at your walls and gently caress off afterwards?

I have never once been threatened by them when I didn't want to dive into base defense. What exactly are you doing for this strong of reaction? Does your base just not have any walls?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 2, 2021

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i beat bonemass in part by kiting him out to an adjacent plains area and drawing fulings in to take care of the blobs and skeletons, then have them get dissolved in his poison puke. then I rush in and smack him around with frostner.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
To show the mountain, does this look likely to be the only silver?

(also pictured: froze to death like a dumbass)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Not particularly likely no. I have literally seen overlapping veins of the stuff. But RNG is a bitch sometimes.

Zyme posted:

The ability to build some kind of static defense like catapults or those ballista things would be pretty sweet for invasions. Maybe barrels of flaming tar you could knock over the edge of your walls? I like the invasions but agree that there’s a lot of potential for improvement.

This is a complete aside but the idea of throwing boiling tar on people is Hollywood nonsense. Tar is really useful, so you don't want to waste it like that, especially not when boiling water is equally effective and very cheap.

:goonsay:

Azhais posted:

On the server I played with my friends, Bonemass was probably the hardest boss with 8 people, but I attribute that mostly to the fact that most of us were using spears and atgeirs and bows, really only had one guy that focused on maces

Yeah I was very afraid of him (to the point where I just dug silver out of the mountains by looking for it, no wishbones involved) after our first attempt at him with 8 people. I don't know if we got screwed over by having someone with a terrible PC/connection run it, but the game was running so badly you couldn't see half of what was going on, adds would randomly appear out of nowhere to kill you, and half the party were some combination of undergeared or just generally useless; it wound up being 4 of us fighting a boss powered for 8, we had to give up and run away after running out of pots.

Came back and fought him later solo and he was a total pushover.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 2, 2021

Woden
May 6, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I love them but wish they were harder or more contextual. They're in a weird space where some people get completely shrek'd by them and for others it's not even an inconvenience, just idiot mobs confused where to pathfind or slapping at walls. Long-term I think they need more passive defense options, but that may be just my general desire for Tower Defense bleeding through.

Yeah, the only fun raid I had was the drake one since they didn't have pathing issues and I had to run around the whole base defending stuff, all the rest were just an inconvenience.

I had a meadows base with walls and moats that I was slowly trying to make impenetrable, but since every invasion I had to jump out and defend walls and that going around repairing walls(especially stone walls) isn't fun, all the newer bases are open to everyone and it's fine.

You get all these options to make forts, but it's pointless busy work unless you get one of the tough raids while under geared.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Jackard posted:

If you don't like the raids all you have to do is stay out of sight, they stop at your walls and gently caress off afterwards?

This has not been my experience. Are you building in such a way that they can't path to a crafting table or door with a crafting table behind it?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Laterite posted:

i beat bonemass in part by kiting him out to an adjacent plains area and drawing fulings in to take care of the blobs and skeletons, then have them get dissolved in his poison puke. then I rush in and smack him around with frostner.

and then winter comes and the apes freeze to death!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've built my bases open and they are fine, just make sure you have a comfy house to rest up inside and a door to give yourself a moment to have a quiet meal, don't want to be caught unprepared by a drake attack after killing bonemass with no roof and warm fire nearby.

If you are really worried still, raise or lower the land a little to make a funnel, enemies don't like climbing up or down small rocky cliffs

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
What I like about the raids is that they put pressure on you, encouraging you to build to purpose. Took too long to get to where the trolls were bashing? Opportunity to create more or alternate pathways. Just got your wall with all the chests attached knocked into a spray of loose items? Build chests near the inner walls, or make a sub-level they can't reach. Like in real life some of the coolest looking structures evolved that way due to necessity, not an architectural bend.

Every one of my bases is built this way (at least now that I've learned my lesson.) My favorite is a mountainside plains base with tons of interlocking stone towers, ramps, basements, and battlements, all inside a ring of stone walls and compact enough for the whole thing to be covered with a single ward in the center.

I never build moats or anything that fucks with pathing, not only due to the performance hit it incurs, but mostly because I'm trying to meet the game halfway and see how effective I can make the actual defenses.

Of course if what you like most in the game is just building things that look a certain way, the raids are gonna serve as both interruption and threat. Which is why I still think they need to just put in a creative mode, or some kind of menu option.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone have a lead on a good active server? This is a great game to be working towards something and a bunch of the servers I usually play on are kind of dead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Honestly it seems like the raids' main issues is that enemy scaling doesn't match your wall scaling. Like, you build stakewalls right off and they'll keep greydwarves out forever but higher-tier enemies just walk right through them if they decide to target them. Some enemies doing that is neat: it was fun as hell the first time a troll showed up and just ran through my walls. Less fun when even stone walls do nothing to slow them down, because then the only counterplay is kiting them away from poo poo or using tons of spike traps/trenches.

I like them though, they are a lot of fun.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ravenfood posted:

Honestly it seems like the raids' main issues is that enemy scaling doesn't match your wall scaling. Like, you build stakewalls right off and they'll keep greydwarves out forever but higher-tier enemies just walk right through them if they decide to target them. Some enemies doing that is neat: it was fun as hell the first time a troll showed up and just ran through my walls. Less fun when even stone walls do nothing to slow them down, because then the only counterplay is kiting them away from poo poo or using tons of spike traps/trenches.

I like them though, they are a lot of fun.

The big thing with the trolls is that if they're swinging that branch, it's completely penetrating AOE that demolishes anything too close to the other side of the stone wall. If it took them a few hits to get through the stone first you could at least mount a reasonable defense. As it stands it just feels weird - you'll be standing in the rubble of everything BUT the stone wall. The only thing it's protecting is itself.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i cannot get enough of this poo poo

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

You might run into issues when you try getting the boat out of that dock. look at the mast and the vertical poles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Hey uh quick question have wood iron beams always been in the game? Am I a huge inattentive idiot?