Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

Why don’t you tune to Drop D then? Harmonics on the 7th fret of the low string and 12th fret of A, turn the tuning peg about a quarter turn loose and dial in until the pitches match. Takes about five seconds.

Yeah, I've been playing for over 30 years, bub. I've forgotten more about tuning than... you... what was I saying? Oh yeah. I know how to tune to do D, and DADA for that matter, and the day it takes me five seconds to drop a D is the day I give up on my dreams of becoming a jukebox hero. I still have stars in my eyes, and I'd thank you to remember that.

But, when I think about go-to bass songs, I think about songs that don't require retuning at all, assuming the instrument is at least reasonably in tune. You know, just run through the 5th and 7th string harmonics really quick, and if everything is OK, let loose with the bass equivalent of playing the intro to "Stairway to Heaven." Which, for me, has been "Schism" for years.

It used to be "Roundabout." There was a time when I kept "Higher Ground" ready to go, but that was just a phase.

(My drop-D go-tos are "Outshined" and "Spoonman." Fretless go-tos are Alive and Gary Hoey's version of "Hocud Pocus," particularly the solo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Gary Hoey's version of "Hocud Pocus," particularly the solo.)
I havent heard that since high school, and I bet i can still play that 90% cold, I played it so much...

OhNoLookOutRUN
Nov 8, 2004

dorito dave

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, but playing enough of Forty-Six & 2 to feel good about (for me anyway) requires tuning the G string up to A so I can play that bar where the phrase uses F as the pedal.

It's weird to think of playing this song this way. I thought everyone just did the weird stretch to play the F on the A string, and never considered DADA for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah never heard of or seen that

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Goons, talk me out of doing something stupid.

I have a Sire v7. Good bass but I don't play it much: it is heavy, I'd rather a PJ, and prefer a P neck.

Buuuuut, oday I ran across this bass. Pretty much what I have but pink sparkle plus matching headstock? Oh yes please.

I need another 4-string Jazz like I need a hole in my head. I've got house and vehicle repairs I need to get on. But that price ain't bad at all.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Get a P with a P neck, not a PJ. When you want the J sound just use your J bass.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

pumped up for school posted:

Goons, talk me out of doing something stupid.

I have a Sire v7. Good bass but I don't play it much: it is heavy, I'd rather a PJ, and prefer a P neck.

Buuuuut, oday I ran across this bass. Pretty much what I have but pink sparkle plus matching headstock? Oh yes please.

I need another 4-string Jazz like I need a hole in my head. I've got house and vehicle repairs I need to get on. But that price ain't bad at all.

Get it and live my aspirations.

mango sentinel posted:

Marcus Miller specifically dictated to Sire that he wanted his signature bases to have price points accessible to all players which makes me highly inclined to get a burgundy V7 if I ever want a jazz bass.

Also it's my understanding that a big part of the sound of a jazz bass is blending the two pickups. PJs seen cool to learn on but seem kinda a middling compromise of both worlds, rather than something versatile.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 18, 2021

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Get a P with a P neck, not a PJ. When you want the J sound just use your J bass.
and

mango sentinel posted:

Also it's my understanding that a big part of the sound of a jazz bass is blending the two pickups. PJs seen cool to learn on but seem kinda a middling compromise of both worlds, rather than something versatile.

I guess I should mention I have a P-bass. It probably gets the most play these days. Just solid, pick it up and play. No noise, no fancy electronics.

For most of my early playing years, I was on a PJ w/ VVTT controls (old Spector NS2). For over a decade it was my main electric. So my brain just defaults to that right-hand memory (thumb rest in the pickup split) and sound (full-on P with 25-50% on the J for a bit of burp or nasal).

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Hey, so my teacher has asked me to come up with some improvised basic basslines along the series of modes (dorian, phrygian, ionian etc), with a basic 4/4 drum beat as a backing track. It's pretty fun, but I'm kinda struggling the further down the fretboard I go, it gets to the point where it doesn't sound very bass-y and I'm sort of just falling in a pretty basic series of quarters and random eighths. Do you guys have some sort of system for coming up with note combinations on the fly, or maybe a go-to rhythm? How do you go about flourishing it?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I am not good at it, but remember to use pauses/rests and repeated notes as well to add some flavour. Also think in terms of playing with or against the drums.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Yeah, leave some space. A lot of great bass grooves sound like a question, a pause, and then an answer.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Pooper Trooper posted:

Hey, so my teacher has asked me to come up with some improvised basic basslines along the series of modes (dorian, phrygian, ionian etc), with a basic 4/4 drum beat as a backing track. It's pretty fun, but I'm kinda struggling the further down the fretboard I go, it gets to the point where it doesn't sound very bass-y and I'm sort of just falling in a pretty basic series of quarters and random eighths. Do you guys have some sort of system for coming up with note combinations on the fly, or maybe a go-to rhythm? How do you go about flourishing it?

listen to rhythmically interesting music, and steal the rhythms. audiate something without the instrument. a lot of square basslines sound that way because the notes are all articulated the same, vary how you play them. incorporate legato and staccato playing.

space is very important, like the past two posts said. just because you're playing to a drum track, you don't have to Hit. Every. Time. The. Drummer. Does. sync in with the kick drum, and then syncopate and add flavor in the space you have around it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4)

as for note choice, just because you're thinking about the modes doesn't mean you need to use all the notes from them. target the chord tones and the characteristic note(s) of the mode. learn how each of those feels wrt building and releasing tension, and keep a consistent narrative of building and releasing tension. guitarists can jump around more, you want to keep things on a steady path as the bassist.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NGD crosspost from the NGD thread with edits, brand-new Yamaha 735a, says made in Indonesia but the serial indicates Taiwan (IHH), possibly covid-related redirection of factory resources, I had to wait a few months more for it and it was only made in late January 2021. Plays like a dream, all the tones I wanted, a very pretty bass to look at. Contrary to some reports, the default active/passive tone is very even to my ears, the EQ is really more like a boost/cut. The pickup balancer is the most fun feature to me, I've never had one before and I'm sold on it! Fingers are black from the new strings this morning :v:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Shageletic posted:

Welp im gonna do it. Gonna spend more than 400 bucks on the Future Impact pedal. Hope its worth it!

Yo has your FI come in yet? How are you liking it so far?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

someone remind me what the title of the previous thread was

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/Gitmo33/status/1377682168080662530?s=20

Just so you're aware when you use your clip-on Nazi tuner.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

IffyNewtz posted:

Just so you're aware when you use your clip-on Nazi tuner.

Even as a joke, please don't post this nonsense. It's a turd that draws a specific, and really annoying, kind of fly.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Fair enough. Had not come across that turd before.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I smell poo poo, time to post

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Even as a joke, please don't post this nonsense. It's a turd that draws a specific, and really annoying, kind of fly.

Do we have LaRouchians that hang out in ML?

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

I smell poo poo, time to post

No need to be a dick about it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BonHair posted:

Not strictly relevant to calling out cues, but I've found that actually singing without playing has helped me go from "nope, can't do it" to "I can play simple stuff and sing at the same time". Before I had my kid, I never sang anything, but having him helped me loosen up and in turn allowed me to slowly approach campfire guitar.

Working with actual vocalists you realize how much of their job relies on rhythm, instead of just melody, pitch, range, etc. If you're good at it, it all just becomes intrinsic and another tool in the tool box. Its why if you have a really good singer, they can scat (which I think of as just pretty and old fashioned beat boxing) in a jazz group or just riffing.

Tho there is nothing worse than a person trying to scat and who doesn't know a thing about rhythm.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Scarf posted:

Yo has your FI come in yet? How are you liking it so far?

It hasn't! Got a shipping confirmation on March 15th, then haven't heard a thing goddamit. Gonna follow up, this is taking forever.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

IffyNewtz posted:

Fair enough. Had not come across that turd before.

Oh? Consider yourself lucky.

There ain't no nut like a 432 Hz nut because a 432 Hz nut don't UNIVERSE CHAKRAS METAPHYSICAL HEALING FREQUENCY EASY RATIOS MATH VIBRATION HARMONY PURE INTERVALS ONE TRUE A.

(It's a whole thing. There are a couple of good Adam Neely videos about it.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pooper Trooper posted:

Listen to some Peter Hook. Also, Sly and the Family Stone's Thank You is a stellar bass line higher up on the neck.

This song is hella fun to play, bassy as gently caress and easy to learn. Just google the bass tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Didn't Pantera tune a quarter step down, which is pretty close to both 432hz and Nazism?

Also I put thick as gently caress flatwounds on my jazz guitar and couldn't play barre chords, do now it's in A=392hz, formerly known as D standard.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tarlibone posted:

(It's a whole thing. There are a couple of good Adam Neely videos about it.)

Now now, just because 432hz is a bunch of new age bullshit doesnt mean we have to pretend theres such thing as a good Adam Neely video

anyway my brother recently picked up bass and im building some pedals for him to have fun with. I built him a basic fuzz which he loves, and was wondering if you guys had reccomendations for other ONE OR TWO knob bass circuits I can build for him. Hes very new to bass and music gear so im trying to make them as simple as possible for him, hence the one or two knob rule (maybe 3 but thatd be the limit)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The EH Bassballs circuit is a pretty easy build and it's an envelope follower so something a bass player should have around anyways.
It's simplest form it's one knob and a switch but there are 2 trim pots inside you can make into external controls to give it a little more flexibility or just leave as trimpots and set it and forget it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

The EH Bassballs circuit is a pretty easy build and it's an envelope follower so something a bass player should have around anyways.
It's simplest form it's one knob and a switch but there are 2 trim pots inside you can make into external controls to give it a little more flexibility or just leave as trimpots and set it and forget it.

This is perfect! Thanks so much

garbage horse
Jul 31, 2015

lovin it
I recently got a Fender P-Bass (first time playing bass), which has been great, but I started really getting into the weeds on setup and measurements and noticed my neck relief is around 1mm.

Is this too much? I'm not finding it all THAT hard to play, although some of the highest frets are a little buzzy. Should I mess around with the truss rod or leave it alone if I'm otherwise playing ok? I notice many people seem to measure lower than this, and fender recommends relief around 0.3mm for a 9.5-inch radius.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Action and string height is all about what you personally enjoy as a player, there's no real wrong answer, except for "so low that you get fret buzz all the time" or "So high that you literally can't fret a note without breaking something" but even that may be used artistically. If you are comfortable with the way it's set up and can play without it bothering you or impeding in your ability, then keep it as is.

For an egregious comedy example, J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. has string height that can best be described as "telephone line"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52-IFMXI60&t=350s

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

For an egregious comedy example, J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. has string height that can best be described as "telephone line"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52-IFMXI60&t=350s

:stare: good god

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
j and freddie green are my two favorite examples of insane high action players, freddie took things to another universe of unplayability. look at this fuckin thing

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
You know what band has a ton of fun basslines? The Go-Gos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kQlzOi27M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wvue2OT-FA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I watched that doc about them on showtime, dunno if shes responsible for all the hits but they hired a real vet to pierce them together. And then she just spent the last yrs of that band trying to hold it together bc everyone else was losing their mind.

Classic bass dilemma

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
James Jamerson's bass was said to be nigh-unplayable by anyone other than him due to the relief and string height.

Apparently the neck was so bowed you could hunt deer with it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Back in November I was practicing a lot and I was like "I think I'll be travelling sooner than I realize" so I ordered a knockoff Hofner Shorty on AliExpress for like $140. It arrived today. I haven't touched my bass in over a month. And just lol at ever traveling again.

Still, might be a decent purchase. I can just leave it my office and maybe grab it for twiddling with here and there when I'm bored. I seem to have trouble arranging "practice sessions" so maybe "just play a song in between work calls" or "run through scales unamplified" will be how I get time on the instrument for a while. It seems pretty decently made for a knock off.

Edit: I was trying to commit to playing in BEAD. I suppose I should string this mini guy up the same way, no?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 5, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
does anyone recognize this headstock or logo? Kinda looks like it says Taboo?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Bottom Liner posted:

does anyone recognize this headstock or logo? Kinda looks like it says Taboo?

It might be Tokai maybe? What video did you pull this still from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Tedesco

https://www.tinotedesco.com/