Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Cygni posted:

Click the button that says update.

Will do after work, the guy upthread with a 3080 XC3 as well loving up his card due to a motherboard setting gave me pause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah you’ve gotta click the update button and then press “y” to a couple of prompts that come up in a command prompt box. It should update the bios in like 30 seconds or less.

Well Precision X1 is running the latest version, the motherboard bios is updated, Nvidia drivers are up to date, GPU vBIOS is new, and Rebar is running. No hiccups or weirdness. Feels good to have everything fresh and new, and be done with it. God bless.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Newegg's april fools joke was making you think they had any gpus today

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fauxtool posted:

but that's every day

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like how they're not even pretending to make the cheaper SKUs :laffo:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I have a 3070 black on waitlist at 6:32 and I don’t think I’m gonna qualify for the grandfathered in price by April 16 or whatever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So at the very least, a known scalper was denied a transaction at the Fairfax VA Micro Center while trying to check out. So SOME stores are following the new rules, at least.

I honestly can't remember when I put myself on the Notify Me list for the Kingpin, but I'm sure it was after 12/20. I'd sell my 3090 FTW3 Ultra in a goddamned heartbeat, with only enough of a premium to cover tax and the extended warranty I got for it. >.>

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 2, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's only a matter of time before ejecting one of these scalpers leads to a ruckus somewhere. I volunteer to dress up like a computer cowboy, deputize some dweebs, and roam from store to store, inflicting Verified Actual Gamer justice on some of these high-profile scalpers.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Some deserved levity in these trying GPU-shortage times: This is probably my favorite tech April Fools thing I've seen so far today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0frNP0qzxQc

That is remarkably good prop construction for this bit.

My favorite part is the -1 fps on 'your mom'

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's only a matter of time before ejecting one of these scalpers leads to a ruckus somewhere. I volunteer to dress up like a computer cowboy, deputize some dweebs, and roam from store to store, inflicting Verified Actual Gamer justice on some of these high-profile scalpers.

its easily enough money involved for someone to get stabbed so I would be careful confronting anyone.
You would be better off taking daily pictures of the line and then showing the manager whenever someone shows up twice so they can be subject to additional scrutiny.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Spacedad posted:

Some deserved levity in these trying GPU-shortage times: This is probably my favorite tech April Fools thing I've seen so far today.

Be sure to watch his other videos, this is all he does, for a few years now. For his first video he made a Bitchin' Fast 3D 2000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCEXbspWuI

I wouldn't mind knowing some of the behind the scenes details for his videos, he does really good work.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

its easily enough money involved for someone to get stabbed so I would be careful confronting anyone.
You would be better off taking daily pictures of the line and then showing the manager whenever someone shows up twice so they can be subject to additional scrutiny.

That sounds like some "observe and report" mall-cop-grade stuff. I'm not talking about mall-cop-grade stuff. I'm talking about Renegade-grade stuff. And I sincerely doubt any scalper (or scalper cronies) would even think about trying to stab one of us when they see us rolling up in a PT Cruiser that's at the very edge of being legally distinguishable from an official police vehicle so

SO DEMANDING posted:

Be sure to watch his other videos, this is all he does, for a few years now. For his first video he made a Bitchin' Fast 3D 2000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCEXbspWuI

I wouldn't mind knowing some of the behind the scenes details for his videos, he does really good work.

I just realized this is the same person who did the 3DFx Voodoo 5 9000 GPU video. I've shared that a bunch with people in the past few years.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 2, 2021

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That sounds like some "observe and report" mall-cop-grade stuff. I'm not talking about mall-cop-grade stuff. I'm talking about Renegade-grade stuff. And I sincerely doubt any scalper (or scalper cronies) would even think about trying to stab one of us when they see us rolling up in a PT Cruiser that's at the very edge of being legally distinguishable from a police vehicle so

Lol what the gently caress is this?

Anyway, from the numbers I'm seeing 3-5% increase in performance from rebar being turned on? I wonder how much industry update this is going to see.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

originalnickname posted:

Anyway, from the numbers I'm seeing 3-5% increase in performance from rebar being turned on? I wonder how much industry update this is going to see.

its street justice, deathwish style

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Spacedad posted:

I loved this and I’m sending it to all my nerds.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

originalnickname posted:

I believe it's a phenomenon known as a "joke".

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
does newegg USA also bundle all the cards with "$250" 400W GPU-Xplodr 80plus Coal PSUs like in Canada

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abuse culture. posted:

does newegg USA also bundle all the cards with "$250" 400W GPU-Xplodr 80plus Coal PSUs like in Canada

no they also bundle with $750 z490 motherboards

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

That chart is fantastic. The contents not as much, but of course that was also expected. Is that online somewhere? Who is maintaining it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RVT posted:

That chart is fantastic. The contents not as much, but of course that was also expected. Is that online somewhere? Who is maintaining it?
There's a Google doc that takes submissions. I thinks it's in the EVGA forums.

Was excited to know they might get to the end of 12-1-2020 this month when I realized the last update was ... a while ago.

Also a bunch of people getting skipped for some reason between 12-1 and 12-08

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

I keep signing up for the shuffle, and I keep losing, so the joke is definitely on me.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

jisforjosh posted:

Will do after work, the guy upthread with a 3080 XC3 as well loving up his card due to a motherboard setting gave me pause.

That was me. Worst case scenario you RMA it with EVGA. Upside is their customer support is awesome and they already shipped out my replacement - it's scheduled to get back to me on Saturday. Since 3080 XC3s don't seem to be in production anymore, I'm hoping I get lucky and they send me a FTW3 as a replacement instead. In the meantime I'm playing Vampire the Masquerade on my GT 710 lol

mA fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 2, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I volunteer to dress up like a computer cowboy, deputize some dweebs, and roam from store to store, inflicting Verified Actual Gamer justice on some of these high-profile scalpers.

You can introduce yourself in the stores as Joe Cardpio.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nothus posted:

I keep signing up for the shuffle, and I keep losing, so the joke is definitely on me.

my newegg sense is telling me that there will be 2 3090s and a 6900xt tomorrow and you probably wont want any of them

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There's legitimate concern about the 80Ti launch leading to violence. One of the Fairfax discord sub-mods is a Fairfax County cop and he said he's already raised concern with his Captain about potentially keeping a detail there for the launch date.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's legitimate concern about the 80Ti launch leading to violence. One of the Fairfax discord sub-mods is a Fairfax County cop and he said he's already raised concern with his Captain about potentially keeping a detail there for the launch date.

would crime for a 3080ti FE

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
me: Do I seriously need to dick around with the file structure of my boot drive just to get a few more FPS in Cyberpunk?

also me: I paid for the whole BAR, I'm gonna use the whole BAR. I don't know what the BAR is.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Decided to check ebay out of curiosity to see what my old 2070 XC Ultra is selling for. Lowest I saw after a quick search was $540 with the highest at $858 with 37 bids! This is a non-Super, too. Even with the stimulus checks how is that even worth it? At that point I wouldn't even bother with pc gaming anymore. Surely that money could go towards something better than a 3 year old GPU that most certainly won't hold it's value when the GPU market becomes less crazy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is absurd.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

can't wait for someone to get swatted for unboxing a 3080 Ti on stream

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maxwell Adams posted:

me: Do I seriously need to dick around with the file structure of my boot drive just to get a few more FPS in Cyberpunk?

also me: I paid for the whole BAR, I'm gonna use the whole BAR. I don't know what the BAR is.

lol, this is perfectly said.

I'll tell you this. I do tech for a living. I'm not rushing to do it. Is it an enormously difficult thing to do? No. Am I rushing to get it done? Also no.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

This is absurd.

It's rare, thankfully, but there have been instances where people will NOT obey line etiquette and have gotten physical about it. And in VA, you always have to assume someone who's being an unrepentant rear end in a top hat is potentially armed.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

TOOT BOOT posted:

This is absurd.

the siren call of a money printing machine being sold at a fraction of market value is very alluring. I have heard anecdotally of scalpers getting robbed already, it wouldn't astonish me if there have been incidents.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I mean, I can sorta believe it given that people occasionally go nuts at Black Friday over much less pricy items....it's just difficult to imagine a bunch of computer nerds fighting over a video card.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean when they've banned scalpers in the past, they dont tend to pull guns... they tend to just hire couriers off of craigslist for peanuts.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cygni posted:

I mean when they've banned scalpers in the past, they dont tend to pull guns... they tend to just hire couriers off of craigslist for peanuts.

Why would someone sign up to be a courier for a scalper instead of pocketing that poo poo for themselves and making all the money. Like imagine someone paying you $50 to stand in line for a $800 graphics card and then realize you can just tell that guy to gently caress off and get the $2200 or whatever the eBay price is

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TOOT BOOT posted:

I mean, I can sorta believe it given that people occasionally go nuts at Black Friday over much less pricy items....it's just difficult to imagine a bunch of computer nerds fighting over a video card.
The scalpers here don’t care what they scalp. Product is product. They aren’t all nerds. It’s the dudes outside of b ball arena selling bootleg jerseys. He has a diverse group of people smurfing for him oddly enough. Anywhere from “Turkish students” to young teens and middle aged men. Idk if they are task rabbit but he’s either paying them well or they don’t know what they are holding

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

<insert the_nerds_discover_capitalism.jpg>

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shipon posted:

Why would someone sign up to be a courier for a scalper instead of pocketing that poo poo for themselves and making all the money. Like imagine someone paying you $50 to stand in line for a $800 graphics card and then realize you can just tell that guy to gently caress off and get the $2200 or whatever the eBay price is

Dont ask me man, it is absolutely a thing with scalpers. I think couriers are happy to take the $50 from someone and not deal with all that nerd poo poo they dont know/care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's rare, thankfully, but there have been instances where people will NOT obey line etiquette and have gotten physical about it. And in VA, you always have to assume someone who's being an unrepentant rear end in a top hat is potentially armed.
LOL there was an arrest at the CA microcenter tonight because someone started fronting about their gun.

E: apparently tried to cut the line then puffed up like a mobster threatening to ventilate the mooks

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 2, 2021