Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
People who buy cars at dealerships using the dealership's financing are literally braver than our troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Well you can't simply get into a bunker and drone your dealership for a new car so yeah

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

research and development for a website that hasn't been updated since 1999 and selling server space like dozens of other companies

incredible

Researching tax dodges and developing even more efficient inhumane conditions for your wage slaves probably counts as R&D.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

Researching tax dodges and developing even more efficient inhumane conditions for your wage slaves probably counts as R&D.

they have the best warehouse robot tech in the world and the best treating-warehouse-people-like-robot tech in the world

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Amazon makes all their money on cloud hosting these days. They continue to run their monstrous & inhumane nightmare logistics program purely as an inside joke.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Vox Nihili posted:

Amazon makes all their money on cloud hosting these days. They continue to run their monstrous & inhumane nightmare logistics program purely as an inside joke.

Um well actually I think you will find that its to crush all competitors by deliberately running amazon.com at a loss while funding the project by selling facial recognition technologies to anyone who's looking to do some genocide.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

The massive R&D budget clearly went in to making those physical buttons that automatically buy more toilet paper or whatever

Don't forget Lumberyard, a game engine based on Cryengine 3, used to make such famous games as Star Citizen.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

People who buy cars at dealerships using the dealership's financing are literally braver than our troops.
driving the Camaro back to base, wait till the boys found out it’s only 96 payments of $500/month

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

my wife loving loves buying cars. she takes me as a decoy any time we need to change cars because she knows they'll keep asking me questions and then eventually they get the picture and she goes HAM.

last time she drove out there solo (90mins round trip) and walked away when they tried to screw her. we went back together and she got the deal she wanted and kept telling them to gently caress off with their in-house financing.

I was so impressed. I'm dumb as poo poo and would have walked out of there $10k poorer than she did.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think McDonald's has the best fast food burgers. And Burger King sucks and should go bankrupt.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
my grandpa was in d-day and bought several cars, brave man

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In-N-Out? Way overrated, just like Shake Shack.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my wife loving loves buying cars. she takes me as a decoy any time we need to change cars because she knows they'll keep asking me questions and then eventually they get the picture and she goes HAM.

last time she drove out there solo (90mins round trip) and walked away when they tried to screw her. we went back together and she got the deal she wanted and kept telling them to gently caress off with their in-house financing.

I was so impressed. I'm dumb as poo poo and would have walked out of there $10k poorer than she did.

It just sounds like she thrives on the conflict. Good for her, genuinely, but I think it's safe to say most people don't

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Bloop posted:

It just sounds like she thrives on the conflict. Good for her, genuinely, but I think it's safe to say most people don't

it's specifically car dealerships though. she doesn't really do this in other aspects of her life.

something about a car salesman just makes her go the gently caress off.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

nah I think there’s some malice in there too

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Some people are also trying to recall the entire SF school board, because the board dares to value science, and kids and teachers lives, and not having schools named after racists, and advocating for teacher housing, and replacing the unfair admissions system for the fanciest public school (which favors rich, mostly white and Asian families in nearby neighborhoods) with a lottery, instead of OPENING ER UP as soon as possible

the people leading the recall effort is a rich white (and Indian) couple who both work in the tech industry, who have lived in SF for just one loving year lol. Seems like it will probably fail, bur still...this dumb loving country lol :d2a:

e: look at these smug motherfuckers with their lil petition:

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/school-board-recall-effort-begins-gathering-signatures/

OPEN ER UP

lol

Rah! has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Apr 2, 2021

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1377652009801805825?s=19

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Vox Nihili posted:

cash flow is as important as profit

DACK FAYDEN posted:

one might say it's some sort of racket

A rocket racket?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The ARE are troops. sp

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Remulak posted:

cash flow is as important as profit

It's cool that Uber's CEO posts here

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Jesus this is worse IN context.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

It's cool that Uber's CEO posts here

Given that management salary comes before profit, cashflow seems pretty important.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I struggle to come up with any lives that matter less than VC's

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BonHair posted:

Given that management salary comes before profit, cashflow seems pretty important.

CEOs make basically all their money on equity these days, not salary. But if they can convince idiots of infinite future profits just around the corner then their equity value shoots to the moon anyway, so I guess it's all pretty much just a matter of achieving maximum grift.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Which brand twitter was it that auto replied to a suicide tweet with 'sounds good! Do it with <brand>' and then poo poo itself trying to delete it. That was a knee slapper

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Fame Douglas posted:

In-N-Out? Way overrated, just like Shake Shack.

gently caress you Shake Shack owns, especially when they poison the NYPD

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

This is even more dumb than it seems cuz R&D goes onto the financial statements as an expense. That means they subtract it from their revenue before arriving at what their taxable income is. So any r&d dollars don't get taxed. Additionally companies are eligible to claim a tax credit on their actual taxable income for r&d further reducing what they owe.

Amazon is famous for putting all their revenue back into the business and this has pissed off one group of people more than anyone else. Amazon investors. Why? Because you can only issue dividends on your taxable income, since Amazon put everything back into the company they avoid having any taxable income. So they pay barely any corporate tax and pay out poo poo for dividends.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nobody pays dividends in tech unless they consider themselves to have mostly finished growing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think it comes down to knowledge and how our society doesn’t really educate folks on these big tools we use. Most people have zero idea of a computer’s functionality, but I do have that knowledge. And when I learn more about computers, I can usually get the concepts quickly.

However, anything with carpentry or cars, I lose it. I’m anxious as all hell because I want to make the right decision and not break anything too bad. Right now, my 20yo car is at the dealership to swap out a murderous recalled airbag. And I’m hesitant that this was the right move because I don’t want them breaking my very old but reliable, paid off car.

I think there really should be a full or multi year home Ec/FACS/life skills class in high school. Learn basics of nutrition and cooking, how bikes and cars work, how a computer works, how banks and taxes work, etc.

If we teach you how to live in the modern world effectively, then we won't be able to take advantage of you as easily.

Better just let the professionals handle your prepare all your meals and process your 1040EZ :smug:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I wish they had shared the Clean & Clear customer support number instead of the suicide hotline.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/TeletubbiesHQ/status/1377940924605546496

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

so how many kids does one bid kill

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

please buy my charity NFT - the money goes towards burning 10 acres worth of amazon rainforest in electricity costs

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm launching a charity NFT to undo the damage of the one above me

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i'm going to break the second law of thermodynamics

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Cool cool cool

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its free money
Idiots will just give you money for essentially nothing.

Its the ultimate scam since they know what theyre getting and are fully complicit in getting ripped off.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Imagine trying to argue to the Committee of Public Safety that you shouldn't be guillotined after spending a house (and really like 3 or 4 good houses in a sane market) on an NES game you can't even open

https://www.polygon.com/22364101/super-mario-bros-nes-collectible-auction-price-world-record

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Forseti posted:

Imagine trying to argue to the Committee of Public Safety that you shouldn't be guillotined after spending a house (and really like 3 or 4 good houses in a sane market) on an NES game you can't even open

https://www.polygon.com/22364101/super-mario-bros-nes-collectible-auction-price-world-record

$660,000??!? It doesn't even come with Duck Hunt!

what a rip off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Nastier Nate posted:

$660,000??!? It doesn't even come with Duck Hunt!

what a rip off