Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I own all the dlc, honestly it’s all pretty good. Even the beast men are pretty fun to me, if they could just enter hidden encampment after razing a settlement they’d feel A LOT better. Apparently I’ve spent like 500 hours playing this game and still getting a feel for it so... worth it I guess? It’s incredibly massive as a game. Have barely hosed around with mods but it seems like there’s some more value there too. If you like total war style games and war hammer the value is definitely there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Unfortunately no. When playing a multiplayer campaign in total war you are gated off to only have stuff you purchased personally. Whereas for like Stellaris or Endless Space everyone has all the DLC the host does.

Ah, dang. Haven't played coop in awhile and guess when I did my friend owned everything I did.

Yeah that's dumb if you can't coop with races you don't own. You're not even playing them!

You can do battles at least I think?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah, dang. Haven't played coop in awhile and guess when I did my friend owned everything I did.
Yeah that's dumb if you can't coop with races you don't own. You're not even playing them!
Someone with more coop experience correct me here, but I thought your coop, head-to-head or multiplayer-battle partner can use DLC you don't own.
If you don't own The Warden & The Paunch and your coop-boddy does, you can't play as Eltharion, but you can play as Tyrion and coop with your buddy's Eltharion.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think adding on new races and legendary lords is a great model for the DLC. You have to own them to play as them, but either way they are added as free content to your game in a patch. This is win/win to me and your game isn't suffering if you don't own the tomb kings or wood elves or whatever and now you have new interesting factions to fight against that you didn't before.

The RoR kind of bothers me because a lot of them are fun and interesting. Still, they are only a handful of units and though they can be very helpful they generally don't make or break a faction.

The most unfortunate DLC are the added basic units in the race packs. Playing high elves without sisters, or skaven without rattling guns and jezzails just isn't the same.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd like it if they made a catchup bundle a year or two after release for 50-75% off or bundles for base game unit and lord packs, but otherwise the DLC is pretty fairly priced all things considered since you don't need -any- of it to make the game complete, if you play highelves you aren't missing out on a large portion of the game by not having skaven or vampirate DLC, the AI still uses everything.

If TW3 releases and there isn't a 20-30$ DLC bundle for game 1 and 30-50$ for all of game 2 then the pricing will be pretty rough.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Honestly the only part that's insane to me is that they've never made any sort of Deluxe or Collector's edition of TWW1 to make the price if you want everything less absurd.

Saying this as someone who has bought every piece of DLC, including the dumb ones that I have no intention of playing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have hundreds of hours played in this and other Total War games but some really ignorant questions, I only play Singleplayer campaign and I feel like I'm often hamstringing myself by not understanding some unit types/abilities.

1) Vanguard Deployment. I have never found a use for this, it seems like any time I separate my vanguard units from my main forces, the AI makes a beeline for wherever they are. Big enemy stacks move in a huge sweeping line that will uncover any hidden units before reaching my main forces and small enemy stacks seem to just beeline for whatever forest I would hide the vanguard units in. Is there anything I can do with vanguard deployment other than turn units into essentially sacrifices to draw off part of the enemy force before the engagement? Yes I'm disabling fire at will, making sure they're hidden, etc - I can just never find a spot to deploy them that would be useful but that the AI doesn't check before engaging me. Also a really ignorant add-on question here but am I right in feeling like units should never hide deep in forests, but instead right at the forest edge and charge out before the enemy reaches the forest? Fighting inside forests usually gets me killed, have definitely learned my lesson with having archers try to shoot from inside forests :v:

2) Missile Cav/chariots: what am I missing here? They're weaker ranged units (or at least lower model count, so less damage output overall) that can flank better than standard archers, and yeah having like one unit of eagle-riding archers can be nice just for the mobility they can offer if I suddenly need arrows going somewhere I can't reach otherwise, but when and why would I choose them over just another unit of standard archers that will be cheaper and put out more damage/kills?

3) Flying units. I kind of get these and in certain circumstances see their value. I primarily use them to pick off routing units before they can rally and come back. Smaller/weaker ones with high model count like harpies I will smash into enemy archers to tie them up and often win 1v1 fights against them, bigger ones like manticores I will do that unless the enemy has a lot of archers, at which point I have no clue what to do with them because as soon as they enter the fray all the archers aim for them and they die quick.

4) Chariots in general I don't understand very well. They seem to essentially be cav except lower model count/stronger per model? But I've never had success using them. What do I want to do with chariots and when do I want one over cav?

5) and finally hybrid ranged/melee troops. Why would I ever want one of these over a dedicated ranged or melee infantry that will presumably do the job better? Is there that much value in getting just 1-2 alpha strike volleys off on an engaging melee infantry unit before engaging and being relatively weaker than the opponent in melee?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Vanguard deployment is useful in a lot of situations. Generally I use it to tuck away a couple of units, typically fast/shock stuff, and wait til the main line of the enemy has past, then sicc them on any vulnerable units, or just flank the main body if that works better. The trick is to put them in out-of-the-way spots, even the corners of the map. The enemy will only search for them if your whole army is out of sight. If they can see the rest of your forces, they'll focus on those.
Staying in the middle of a forest is fine so long as you don't get seen.

Missile cav are useful for harassing the enemy; usually the AI will send off a couple units to chase them. If you micro it, you can pull large chunks of their army, which lets the rest of your force fight theirs piecemeal (or make them run around in circles while your ranged units do their work). If they don't commit to chasing your missile cav, you can instead charge them into the enemy archers/artillery, and they'll usually do a decent job there. I don't like them much either, but I still throw in one or two in most of my armies, especially early-game.

Light flying units are nothing special, they're good for tying up archers (as you said) but nothing special. I don't like manticores, but the other high-end fliers, like dragons or those Bret units, are unbelievable killers. High Elf star dragons are basically reusable cruise missiles. The trick is to hold them back until the main body of your forces starts to engage, to limit the AI's ability to focus them down. Also get into melee pronto, it makes it harder for them to shoot you.

Chariots demand micro, I don't like them either, but people say if you focus on charging and disengaging they outperform pure cav a lot of the time.

Hybrid units are good because most fights are 20 units vs 20 units. 19 Sea Guard might put out less damage than 19 Archers (Light Armour), but they take away options from your enemy (like charging your guys with cav) and give you more choices (like putting away the bows and just charging their archers). A mixed force of spearmen and archers leads you to build two lines, and the first one has to protect the second; a force of hybrid units means the second line doesn't need protection, or even frees you from the requirement to have two lines, and lets you make an insanely broad front that's guaranteed to envelop the enemy.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ArchRanger posted:

Honestly the only part that's insane to me is that they've never made any sort of Deluxe or Collector's edition of TWW1 to make the price if you want everything less absurd.

Saying this as someone who has bought every piece of DLC, including the dumb ones that I have no intention of playing.

They did that not too long ago. It just included the Beastmen and Warriors of Chaos DLCs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've seen complaints about having to micro cavalry, and if you find cavalry annoying to use you might as well forget chariots altogether.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Vanguard Deployment. I have never found a use for this, it seems like any time I separate my vanguard units from my main forces, the AI makes a beeline for wherever they are. Big enemy stacks move in a huge sweeping line that will uncover any hidden units before reaching my main forces and small enemy stacks seem to just beeline for whatever forest I would hide the vanguard units in. Is there anything I can do with vanguard deployment other than turn units into essentially sacrifices to draw off part of the enemy force before the engagement? Yes I'm disabling fire at will, making sure they're hidden, etc - I can just never find a spot to deploy them that would be useful but that the AI doesn't check before engaging me. Also a really ignorant add-on question here but am I right in feeling like units should never hide deep in forests, but instead right at the forest edge and charge out before the enemy reaches the forest? Fighting inside forests usually gets me killed, have definitely learned my lesson with having archers try to shoot from inside forests

Vanguard is super useful depending on the units but more so in multiplayer than campaign. You can use it to harass/skirmish, hide certain units to spring a trap later on, etc. The AI in campaign is really bad so it isn't as useful but skirmish is always good if they don't bring artillery.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Chariots largely need to be charged into unbraced infantry and preferably roll straight through without getting stuck in melee. Ideally whatever you are going for is unbraced (not facing you, moving, or otherwise in combat), dive in and then give a bunch of move orders after you knock everything down to keep things moving. If the unit held up to the charge or you're charging into a big melee you'd want to retreat the way you came in before they surround and bog down your chariots in combat. You can ignore bracing for units without charge defense so non spears and ranged units can be run down a lot easier - the AI is very good at screening with spears and bracing units before charges connect so it's a lot harder to pick off units before the main lines come together.

Playing Settra is a good way to see how devastating chariots and Tomb Kings have 8 models per unit instead of 3 so it's much more forgiving when one gets stuck in combat but they're very micro intensive whatever faction you play as.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In addition to skirmishers being more useful against a human, they’re more useful in battles where less than forty total units are on the map than in campaign where forty-eighty units are standard.

Genghis Khan himself couldn’t make horse archers work if he was locked into a football field to fight in and one half of the total area was occupied by enemy units.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdDUGbYiB1k

This just popped up in my YouTube recommendations. Anyone seen or played this mod? It looks really polished and a great way to give the dwarves a more interesting campaign/ mechanics. I love that all the LLs have unique mechanics also.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I had a friend choose my next campaign; he knows nothing about Warhammer so I had to give him some criteria for him to make a choice. I asked him to pick a D&D class and he chose bard. Which legendary lord comes closest to a bard in this game?

Cylostra seems like an obvious choice but I haven't played many factions outside DE, Vampire Counts or Skaven so I was wondering if there's a lord who focuses mostly on applying buffs and debuffs rather than offensive magic or melee fighting.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
There’s an opera singing vampire pirate lady.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cracker King posted:

There’s an opera singing vampire pirate lady.
Thats Cylostra.

She is awesome and her Vortex campaign is a lot of fun if you spent some time sacking, installing pirate coves, and building up Cylsotra's hordeship then go take Lothern and laugh all the way to the bank.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I find Vanguard/Stalk is pretty good against the AI, but you really need to commit to it. A couple units in that role will just get crushed if the enemy responds to them. Meanwhile something like 4 Mournghuls and a couple Haunters will be capable of taking on whatever the AI peels off to counter with, while having the benefit of easily munching up their backline and completely loving their formation which tends to greatly help out your main force.

I use flyers the same way. 1-2 are very easily killed. 8+, on the other hand...

Vargs fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 2, 2021

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
One thing that I found useful was discovering that there's very often 2 little triangles of vanguard area at the far end of the battlefield, where the curved corner of the enemy deployment zone doesn't quite fit into the square corner of the map boundary. On my Rakarth campaign, I would always deploy harpies in those two spots whenever the enemy had artillery. It was a win-win, either they ignored the harpies, in which case once the artillery was left behind they would swoop in and destroy it from behind, OR the artillery would pivot and attack the harpies, in which case I was more than happy to just leave them there and let the artillery's value be completely wasted trying to airshot very low-value units rather than pounding rocks into my dense elite infantry frontline.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Vargs posted:

I use flyers the same way. 1-2 are very easily killed. 8+, on the other hand...

The vargheist/Pegasus knight special

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Mixu's Elspeth is getting a visual rework and I gotta say it's pretty impressive what modders can do with existing textures and models.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Warhammer Yennefer does seem pretty cool

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have hundreds of hours played in this and other Total War games but some really ignorant questions, I only play Singleplayer campaign and I feel like I'm often hamstringing myself by not understanding some unit types/abilities.

1) Vanguard Deployment. I have never found a use for this, it seems like any time I separate my vanguard units from my main forces, the AI makes a beeline for wherever they are. Big enemy stacks move in a huge sweeping line that will uncover any hidden units before reaching my main forces and small enemy stacks seem to just beeline for whatever forest I would hide the vanguard units in. Is there anything I can do with vanguard deployment other than turn units into essentially sacrifices to draw off part of the enemy force before the engagement? Yes I'm disabling fire at will, making sure they're hidden, etc - I can just never find a spot to deploy them that would be useful but that the AI doesn't check before engaging me. Also a really ignorant add-on question here but am I right in feeling like units should never hide deep in forests, but instead right at the forest edge and charge out before the enemy reaches the forest? Fighting inside forests usually gets me killed, have definitely learned my lesson with having archers try to shoot from inside forests :v:

2) Missile Cav/chariots: what am I missing here? They're weaker ranged units (or at least lower model count, so less damage output overall) that can flank better than standard archers, and yeah having like one unit of eagle-riding archers can be nice just for the mobility they can offer if I suddenly need arrows going somewhere I can't reach otherwise, but when and why would I choose them over just another unit of standard archers that will be cheaper and put out more damage/kills?

3) Flying units. I kind of get these and in certain circumstances see their value. I primarily use them to pick off routing units before they can rally and come back. Smaller/weaker ones with high model count like harpies I will smash into enemy archers to tie them up and often win 1v1 fights against them, bigger ones like manticores I will do that unless the enemy has a lot of archers, at which point I have no clue what to do with them because as soon as they enter the fray all the archers aim for them and they die quick.

4) Chariots in general I don't understand very well. They seem to essentially be cav except lower model count/stronger per model? But I've never had success using them. What do I want to do with chariots and when do I want one over cav?

5) and finally hybrid ranged/melee troops. Why would I ever want one of these over a dedicated ranged or melee infantry that will presumably do the job better? Is there that much value in getting just 1-2 alpha strike volleys off on an engaging melee infantry unit before engaging and being relatively weaker than the opponent in melee?

Vanguard deployment is best used to hide troops far away from where the lines are going to use in a flanking maneuver later. Another potential situation is when you have a lord where you can vanguard deploy your entire army (like Vlad Von Carstein) which allows you to start your entire army in the position you want much closer to the enemy. This lets you engage them quicker, before they have a chance to position their army how they want, and greatly negates the amount of artillery/archer bombardment you'd have to endure to close the gap in normal situations. Regarding the woods - I tend to avoid fighting in it as well. Trees block projectiles and lower the melee stats of large units so if it's possible I like to keep my archers in the woods with an empty field in front of them to shoot into.

Missile cavalry and chariots are good skirmishers and flankers. The reason you might take them over a regular unit of archers is the mobility. By their very nature they're not going to be countered by any kind of infantry unit. You also mentioned eagle rider archers. They're shooting from ABOVE the field which means their line of sight is not blocked by whatever units are in front of them, which can be very useful for focusing higher value targets. Some missile cavalry has half-decent melee stats and can be used to rear-charge lines or run down routing enemies as well when they run out of ammunition. I prefer missile cavalry over missile chariots if I'm taking any units like this, though. I find they can be really useful in the early game before heavy cavalry is available.

Flying units you pretty much have the gist of. I basically think of them as flying cavalry, and in fact the Bret ones are classified as that exactly. Multi-unit ones like harpies or bats are great for disrupting archer formations. Big ones are good for killing artillery, or disrupting melee formations before flying out and attacking a different part of the line. I find large flyers are also incredibly good in sieges on both offense and defense for clearing walls of enemies. As mentioned, dragons in particular are insanely powerful.

I don't like chariots at all and don't use them, even for lord mounts. They're more fiddly/micro-intensive heavy cavalry. If I want a smaller unit to smash into things I'm just going to bring monsters.

Hybrid units are good because they fill multiple roles. It lets you build out a very long (single line) formation that can envelop an enemy, or a very deep (multiple line) formation that can hold out in a strong defensive position against overwhelming odds. With high elves, for example, I often go front line spears, second line lothern sea guard (which then join the melee when they either run out of arrows or the front line is in trouble), third line archers and artillery - this allows my archers to shoot as long as possible before they're engaged by something. Hybrid units are also great during sieges both on offense and defense because of their ability to shoot and fight in melee situations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Azran posted:

Mixu's Elspeth is getting a visual rework and I gotta say it's pretty impressive what modders can do with existing textures and models.

That reminds me, whatever happened to those guys that figured out how import custom models? I feel like it was big news for a minute and then, I dunno, it's almost like CA told them to keep it to themselves lest Games Workshop start calling up lawyers. I know Southern Realms has some custom helmets but I was expecting a lot more.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish modern TWs let you mod the maps like back in Med2 when there was a whole LotR mod. And for that matter a WHFB mod.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm sure custom models are chugging along, a few weeks ago someone made a gun weapon model resource pack that's showed up in a couple of major mods. The grudge raker model in particular found use in the Greybeard Prospectors overhaul and the OvN Chaos Dwarfs.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Use grom if you want to see how good a chariot can be.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Grom and 19 spikey roller pump wagons is a god drat thing to behold. Eat poo poo Tyrion.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There are some chariots that are less micro intensive, if you want to experiment with chariots but don't want to dedicate a huge amount of micro to them for one reason or another - White Lion Chariots for High Elves and Gorebeast Chariots for Chaos are the ones I'm thinking of here, though there might be a few more. They're still better when being kept in motion, but they'll at least work decently when left in sustained combat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

albany academy posted:

Use grom if you want to see how good a chariot can be.

I honestly think the main issue with chariots is some animation fuckery, because every one of them (especially single-entity ones) besides Grom seemingly underperform compared to their stats, and he loving wrecks poo poo in comparison, even with similar statlines. So, whatever they did to Grom and his mass/animations/whatever should really apply to all chariots because Grom is certainly fun.

Also if I hadn't just done an Elspeth campaign I probably would because that looks great.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I found chariots do a lot better with smaller unit sizes due to a lower chance of getting stuck. Playing on ultra must be a nightmare with them.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Azran posted:

Elspeth is interesting because she (along with demigryph knights) cause otherwise quite affable and syncretic lore posters to flare their vestigial neckbeards and drum their bellies in a threat posture

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wish modern TWs let you mod the maps like back in Med2 when there was a whole LotR mod. And for that matter a WHFB mod.

Oh yeah. I really hope the Rome remake kicks off the modding scene again because it's removing a lot of the hard-coded limits to the Rome/Med2 engine.

CA's official statements that they can't do this anymore due to middleware like SpeedTree and whatnot, while probably true, I am choosing to believe are lies

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

There are some chariots that are less micro intensive, if you want to experiment with chariots but don't want to dedicate a huge amount of micro to them for one reason or another - White Lion Chariots for High Elves and Gorebeast Chariots for Chaos are the ones I'm thinking of here, though there might be a few more. They're still better when being kept in motion, but they'll at least work decently when left in sustained combat.

Scourgrunner chariots are very strong also

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What I've learned from all this is that I need vanguard deployment chariots to criss-cross the enemy army horizontally as they run at me and bowl over a buncha skeletons

Thanks everyone! I will give some of these units a try again and see what I can do with them :sunglasses:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

DaysBefore posted:

That reminds me, whatever happened to those guys that figured out how import custom models? I feel like it was big news for a minute and then, I dunno, it's almost like CA told them to keep it to themselves lest Games Workshop start calling up lawyers. I know Southern Realms has some custom helmets but I was expecting a lot more.

There's been a decent amount of added custom models - stuff like the four-armed Ghorghon mod wouldn't have been possible without custom models and custom animations. That said, CA and GW don't mind as long as the models don't reference or belong to other IPs.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The massive thing about vanguard deployment I’m shocked nobody has mentioned yet is splitting up the enemy army. I didn’t really learn how good this was till I played 3K, but disrupting the enemy army by making only parts of it come at you at once is so so so essential for keeping your army intact in the long run. It’s a bit micro-y, but I’ve had a lot of success with mixed melee/ranged/artillery setup in a kill zone on good terrain, which then proceeds to annihilate the enemy units coming at me three or four at a time.

Any fast unit can do this but vanguard units are better at it. This is why vanguard on lords, monsters, cavalry, or fliers is great and why it’s anemic with infantry (outside of situations like hitting reinforcing armies as they enter the map. Bring a mage for added fun!). Lure their fast units like monsters, cav, and lords over by making them chase your cav as you lead the AI right into your entire army. Or keep circling around them to drain their stamina and create opportunities for charges into their ranged units.

Obviously this doesn’t work so well on real humans but I never play MP anyways so.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

1) Vanguard Deployment.

The obvious one is giving a ranged army the bum rush - which is a Drycha, Vlad, and Tretch favourite. Deploy your entire army as far forward as you can and they have very little time to shoot you. Next are dogs or light cav behind the enemy to sweep up their artillery. Third, and probably most important, is to split up their forces. You want your vanguards to be faster than whatever the enemy uses here - and preferably shooters. (Early game Free Company are great at this until heavy cav rides them down, and Elyrian Reaver Archers are superb). They come for you and they split up - they don't and you get to shoot them in the back.

quote:

2) Missile Cav/chariots: what am I missing here?

You don't need to protect them - their mobility can do that. And they can get to foes they want to kill much more easily. They pick their fights. Oh, and they can ride down enemies and escort them off the battlefield.

quote:

3) Flying units.

Are basically Light Cav+. The only enemies they should be attacking from the front are archers and artillery - but they get to pick their targets (or fight each other) and there are some pretty nice charge bonuses and leadership debuffs.

quote:

4) Chariots in general I don't understand very well.

They are high micro. Cavalry in general should disengage and charge again as often as possible - but this counts double for chariots, which requires a lot of focus.

quote:

5) and finally hybrid ranged/melee troops. Why would I ever want one of these over a dedicated ranged or melee infantry that will presumably do the job better?

Which job? In a game of rock paper scissors, hybrid troops lose ties but get to choose whether to be rock or paper. You've noticed that archers can out-shoot horse archers (which is perfectly true) - but hybrid horse archers can charge foot archers and win. Your job as general is to make it happen. If you're using a full on "They shall fight in the shade" High Elf army then Lothern Sea Guard add to the overwhelming rain of arrows in a way Silverin Guard don't - and can do some truly messy things to zombie pirates who don't want to melee anyway. And the point of high elf spearmen is to just be an anvil anyway - they don't do much damage.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I just had a very frustrating battle in the wood elves campaign and I can't figure out if I was doing something wrong.

First thing is that I was used the lowest tier spear cavalry to charge the enemy back line (mixture of dryads and treekin) partly out of desperation. I didn't figure they'd do well but I thought I could cycle charge in and out at least. Thing is the cavalry just absolutely refused to get *out* of melee. I hit J when they had taken 5% damage, and maybe 20 of them responded, but the rest stuck to the treekin like super glue. I started directing the unit across the map and again 2/3 of them just sat there for several minutes and got pounded to dust, while the other 20 tried over and over again to rejoin their doomed comrades. How am I supposed to cycle charge if my horses refuse to disengage?

The second part is the enemy flanked my glade guard with some treekin. The glade guard were facing the treekin as they came and were on skirmish mode, but instead of running away they charged directly towards the treekin. Like the cavalry I couldn't pull them off to save my life.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I was greeted with quite the lewd sight when I loaded into my Chaos campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
all i can see is that fog texture and get really annoyed about how bad it is