Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
while mangadex is down what are peoples preferred alternatives? the ones I see seem to focus heavily on korean webtoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im using the sites of the TL groups I managed to remember, if they have them.
But thats just me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A speedsub is out for the first Shaman King 2021 episode (along with an early leak of the first two Eden’s Zero episodes). Seems decent enough so far.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jose posted:

while mangadex is down what are peoples preferred alternatives? the ones I see seem to focus heavily on korean webtoons
-https://www.mangaupdates.com/releases.html to figure out new releases
-/r/ manga, search for "disc" to filter out anything that isn't chapter discussion

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I've been rereading a lot of shonen jump series in the $2/mo jump app, personally

Breaking news: Haikyuu and World Trigger both still own a lot

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Larryb posted:

A speedsub is out for the first Shaman King 2021 episode (along with an early leak of the first two Eden’s Zero episodes). Seems decent enough so far.

Is there a release date for Netflix us? Depending on the wait I might have to seek it out.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's supposed to be a 52 episode series, so Netflix probably won't put it up for a year. based off what they did with LWA it might not even be the full series and instead split into parts.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, thier treatment of aquired shows is nothing short of abysmal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a release date for Netflix us? Depending on the wait I might have to seek it out.

Probably won’t be for a while given Netflix’s track record when it comes to shows. So if you can’t wait then fansubs are probably the way to go for now.

I’m curious if this show is getting a dub as well in that case and if they could get back any of the original 4Kids cast (unless some of them are no longer available at this point, I’m not sure)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given the last few dubs I've seen from them I wonder if they'd even bother themselves to try.

I've already given up on EZ's returning cast getting their FT counterparts and that's a relatively easier propsition.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given the last few dubs I've seen from them I wonder if they'd even bother themselves to try.

I've already given up on EZ's returning cast getting their FT counterparts and that's a relatively easier propsition.

Well the EZ cast are different characters that just have similar designs (Mashima does that a lot if you weren’t aware) but in the Japanese version it sounds like Happy and possibly Erza’s original VAs are back to voice their respective counterparts at least. Whether that winds up being true for an eventual dub remains to be seen.

Speaking of which, who’s picking the show up when it properly begins on the 11th (the first two episodes already got leaked and subbed early as I mentioned)? Is it Crunchyroll?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 2, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh I'm aware but I have no faith in Netflix to not foul it or to not strike whilst the iron is stone cold.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So is there any explanation for why Golden Kamuy is on the SJ browser but not on the app? I thought that I would read that next but I get most of my comic reading done on my phone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alacron posted:

So is there any explanation for why Golden Kamuy is on the SJ browser but not on the app? I thought that I would read that next but I get most of my comic reading done on my phone.

It is rated "Mature" and the app doesn't do anything over "Older Teen." I'm assuming to get around age related app store issues since it avoids nudity.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like usually when there's stuff not in the app but on the site it's due to explicit content e.g. Ayakashi Triangle. but Mangaplus has AT and shares the same rating on the play store as Shonen Jump so :shrug:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i feel like usually when there's stuff not in the app but on the site it's due to explicit content e.g. Ayakashi Triangle. but Mangaplus has AT and shares the same rating on the play store as Shonen Jump so :shrug:

That's the general policy, yeah. It's just that different people place the limits in different places out of caution.

It's also why exactly one chapter of Chainsaw Man isn't in the app.

(I'd say "It's the one with the lesbian orgy", but there's multiple chapters that applies to, forcing me to clarify with "It's the one with a color spread of a lesbian orgy". Rin and Fujimoto seem to have been locked in an escalating duel over Rin telling Fujimoto that he could do what he wants.)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

It's also why exactly one chapter of Chainsaw Man isn't in the app.

:aaa:

so that's why

Well I guess my options are to either read it on the browser or eat the cost and get it on Comixology.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Just caught up to the Shonen Jump series I've been following.

I was really disappointed that Nine Dragons set up the team banding together to help Tsurugi with his family's business so he has time to play baseball and then immediately dumpstered that resolution by having Tsurugi's dad say he's fully recovered.

High School Family's still hilarious, and the dad's friend wanting to drag the dad back to the corporate workforce is a more effective villain than most shonen manga antagonists.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So with the series recently being rebooted, are any of the Shaman King manga sequels worth reading?

Also there seems to be a fair number of them, is there a particular order they should be read in?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Speaking of Shaman King, are the rights to the series being sold to another publisher precedented in the industry? Feels like an aberration.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It does happen, often when the preceding publisher makes a catastrophic fowl up as was the case with the Zatch Bell author.

That's why Viz couldn't release the last three volumes of ZB and Animal Land (as well as what was made of Vector Ball) was released by Kodansha.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1378739880835100677?s=20

Not surprising, it was a lovely retread of Toriko without understanding what made that series "good", and the MC's ability was antithetical to the premise of the series. The foundation was shaky, and as a result, the series Mitsutoshi was building fell apart. Poetic, really.

Julias fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
:allears: Oh Mash. You’re so bullshit, I love it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Julias posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1378739880835100677?s=20

Not surprising, it was a lovely retread of Toriko without understanding what made that series "good", and the MC's ability was antithetical to the premise of the series. The foundation was shaky, and as a result, the series Mitsutoshi was building fell apart. Poetic, really.

RIP in loving pieces.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

I don't know if that last dodge was stupid or brilliant, but I love it either way.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The ending for Phantom Seer was even more abrupt than I was expecting. I really figured they'd at least do a final battle in another chapter to rush through the other guys and kill the big phantom girl, but nope, just ended.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The ending for Phantom Seer was even more abrupt than I was expecting. I really figured they'd at least do a final battle in another chapter to rush through the other guys and kill the big phantom girl, but nope, just ended.

Yeah, it wasn't a great manga but I think it deserved better. The last fight was actually a neat setup and I could have seen it going some cool directions.

It really didn't even have an ending, just "eh I guess the villain won't be around for a while, the end!"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah, it wasn't a great manga but I think it deserved better. The last fight was actually a neat setup and I could have seen it going some cool directions.

It really didn't even have an ending, just "eh I guess the villain won't be around for a while, the end!"

Yeah, they really should have given it a few more chapters. I don't know why they do this thing where they abruptly cancel manga that could have had a proper ending with just 10 or so more chapters. It's not that the manga this happens to are particularly good (Guardian of the Witch certainly wasn't), but that not letting them end properly unnecessarily makes them worse. Is there really a promising manga starting next week that really needs to start next week and not in a couple months?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, they really should have given it a few more chapters. I don't know why they do this thing where they abruptly cancel manga that could have had a proper ending with just 10 or so more chapters. It's not that the manga this happens to are particularly good (Guardian of the Witch certainly wasn't), but that not letting them end properly unnecessarily makes them worse. Is there really a promising manga starting next week that really needs to start next week and not in a couple months?

I don't know about promising but yeah "Blue Box" starts next week.

https://twitter.com/Amzk0303/status/1378728871218925571?s=19

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

I don't know about promising but yeah "Blue Box" starts next week.

https://twitter.com/Amzk0303/status/1378728871218925571?s=19

I mean, Blue Box has pretty big buzz for a one shot, with over 300K views for the voice comic on Jump's channel. For comparison, Phatom Seer's voice comic is only at 53K.

Sooner is also, generally speaking, better than later when a manga gets buzz. You want people going "Oh, cool, that one-shot I like is getting serialized!" not "...What was that one again?"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a rough ending for phantom seer, if you can even call it that. that's a shame

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

So with the series recently being rebooted, are any of the Shaman King manga sequels worth reading?

Also there seems to be a fair number of them, is there a particular order they should be read in?

I think my answer is the same as before. Marcos is the best but you will still require the context from Flowers/Super Star which I am less pleased by. Since they all got licensed and Mankin-Trad are no longer scanlating them you are going to have to commit to buying individual volumes or :filez:.

The reading order would probably be: Flowers -> Red Crimson -> Super Star + Marcos which is basically the release order. Red Crimson and Marcos are basically side stories.

Darth TNT posted:

The fact that he does all this and none of the wizards recognize it as pure loving magic is itself a joke.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's always sad knowing that most cancelled series in Jump essentially correspond to some mangaka in Japan having their dreams killed (or at least significantly set back).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

It's always sad knowing that most cancelled series in Jump essentially correspond to some mangaka in Japan having their dreams killed (or at least significantly set back).

Better not think about all the mangas that didn’t even get picked up in the first place.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

Horikoshi had 2 series in a row that got canned before he hit with MHA, and specifically said he was on the verge of giving up on being a mangaka (MHA was quite literally him saying "gently caress it, I'm just gonna draw whatever I want and see what happens"). Tatsuya Endo had multiple one-shots passed up for consideration and three failed serializations in a row before SpyXFamily exploded out of nowhere.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Blue Box has pretty big buzz for a one shot, with over 300K views for the voice comic on Jump's channel. For comparison, Phatom Seer's voice comic is only at 53K.

Sooner is also, generally speaking, better than later when a manga gets buzz. You want people going "Oh, cool, that one-shot I like is getting serialized!" not "...What was that one again?"

OK, fair enough.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh I should have clarified, I didn't mean that in a "I think it's bad" way, I meant it in a literal "I don't know if it's promising, I don't know anything about it or the one shot" way. :shobon:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi had 2 series in a row that got canned before he hit with MHA, and specifically said he was on the verge of giving up on being a mangaka (MHA was quite literally him saying "gently caress it, I'm just gonna draw whatever I want and see what happens"). Tatsuya Endo had multiple one-shots passed up for consideration and three failed serializations in a row before SpyXFamily exploded out of nowhere.

Author of Nisekoi also wrote Double Arts which got canned(sad since it was really promising) due to popularity with the wrong demographic or something. The author of Rough Sketch Senpai has had every series he writes ends prematurely which sucks especially in the case of Rough Sketch since we've seen a surge of gal related Manga do well not long after.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Author of Nisekoi also wrote Double Arts which got canned(sad since it was really promising) due to popularity with the wrong demographic or something. The author of Rough Sketch Senpai has had every series he writes ends prematurely which sucks especially in the case of Rough Sketch since we've seen a surge of gal related Manga do well not long after.
Onio deserved so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto was good this week. I hope we see Sniper guy stick around. He seems like a fantastic foil.

Witch Watch was supremely stupid as usual. But I love those lame spells. [/spoiler]Make his umbrella talk :D [/spoiler]
But there appear to be actual plot happening, so let’s see how this works out for it.