Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Money would be real tight if you tried to do all that poo poo at the same time, I'm constantly broke in HR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

still a few streamers playing mario 35, lobbies no longer filling up all the way (current lobby only had 22 players) and after every match a few viewers are booted

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

KingSlime posted:

is it normal or reasonable for someone to main five entirely different weapons in monster hunter rise? I want them all god drat it (and insist on upgrading each of them as soon as I can).

Still debating between heavy and light bowgun, kinda feeling light more because its zippy and still does solid dmg

I'm having trouble narrowing down my choices too. I spent an hour the other day in the training area just trying out every weapon. My eyes kinda glazed over on the more technical weapons, some of those combo systems are a whole other game in themselves.

Similarly, I'm leaning light bowgun because the mobility is great but the special attacks on the heavy bowgun are just the best.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The slow death of Mario

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

I could be wrong bc I never got it myself, but IIRC Mario 35 was a free download. It's not in my software list though.

oh drat i didnt know it was free for me before. i coulda swore it wanted me to buy it when it came out. its being turned off now right?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah it was a completely free 'game' and yes, it's no longer available until Nintendo say otherwise.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The last day of Mario 35 should have replaced the 1-1 theme with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjnAE5go9dI

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jackhunter64 posted:

The last day of Mario 35 should have replaced the 1-1 theme with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjnAE5go9dI

we might not have hit the last day yet. they're still fuckin going somehow lmao.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Even now, beyond the threshold of his grave... Mario still twitches. His feet crave to crush the goomba, his hands clenching as if reaching for a shell to throw.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

KingSlime posted:

is it normal or reasonable for someone to main five entirely different weapons in monster hunter rise? I want them all god drat it (and insist on upgrading each of them as soon as I can).

Still debating between heavy and light bowgun, kinda feeling light more because its zippy and still does solid dmg

Its what I do and it's perfectly ok. Maybe not upgrading them all in tandem but being open to approaching monsters with different weapons is praxis, I believe. I mained swaxe and hammer but once I tried things like lance, CB, SnS/DB, gunlance, I completely smacked down some monsters that were giving me trouble with the swaxe.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all the western streamers and viewers on twitch, and all the japanese streamers and viewers on youtube, jist got booted from mario 35

it is over

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

some 22 hours after it was supposed to be shut down, i have finally lost access to mario 35

bunch of people still going but rapidly decreasing at this point

I got the impression that you played it straight? How many hours did you put into it that final day? Your drive is impressive.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I got the impression that you played it straight? How many hours did you put into it that final day? Your drive is impressive.

i played for five and a half hours yesterday morning, slept for three hours, played for another four hours and had to leave for work. on arriving at work and setting up my switch i got the message that the game was discontinued.

my final match was in a lobby full of many of the absolute best non-japanese smb35 players in the world and members of a great community i've loved interacting with. i finished 4th, punching well above my weight because frankly i was maybe like the 15th best player in that lobby. a good way to go out.

the final match on twitch was won by the streamer and arguably the best player outside of japan. we're all in chat definitely not crying.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 2, 2021

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

all the western streamers and viewers on twitch, and all the japanese streamers and viewers on youtube, jist got booted from mario 35

it is over

I gotta say it's really impressive how nintendo will shoot it's own puppies in the head while starting right into your eyes never blinking.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:laffo:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say it's really impressive how nintendo will shoot it's own puppies in the head while starting right into your eyes never blinking.

And then the fans thank them!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I'm sad that Mario 35 is gone now. My wife really liked it and was getting really good at it and I loved watching her play after work. She dropped the mic and retired a day early after she finally achieved maximum Lakitu, surfing along the clouds level after level. It was beautiful and I'll never forget it.

:gbsmith:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I'm sad that Mario 35 is gone now. My wife really liked it and was getting really good at it and I loved watching her play after work. She dropped the mic and retired a day early after she finally achieved maximum Lakitu, surfing along the clouds level after level. It was beautiful and I'll never forget it.

:gbsmith:

Yeah, this is bumming me out. I didn’t care about the remasters, but SM35 was one of the games that drew me in at first. I guess Tetris 99 will have to do.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RillAkBea posted:

I'm having trouble narrowing down my choices too. I spent an hour the other day in the training area just trying out every weapon. My eyes kinda glazed over on the more technical weapons, some of those combo systems are a whole other game in themselves.

Similarly, I'm leaning light bowgun because the mobility is great but the special attacks on the heavy bowgun are just the best.

I forced myself to beat Great Izuchi with each weapon before I narrowed down my choices of what weapon to use. I've played the series a bunch but there were still some weapons I've never touched. I usually try to narrow it down to 3-4 weapons, otherwise upgrading gets expensive real fast.

I bounce between Hammer, Hunting Horn and Dual Blades at the moment, with a smattering of Insect Glaive and Switch Axe here and there.

Hammer is my favorite thus far, but I use Hunting Horn more when I'm playing with my friends. Monsters get all the bonk!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mario 35 did not have staying power, and Nintendo was right to remove it before every matched turned into the same five super players eating every random newbie that dates enter their realm.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
This Mario poo poo is so amateur.

What Nintendo was supposed to do was quietly sunset SMB35 after launching a new online game or GBA NSO titles or something so that all the media and streamer attention would be focused on that.

Instead they killed Mario with nothing else to show for it, and for no real purpose either. Good job!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

h-hey guys... it's me, uh Mario d-don't worry about it!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

why is Nintendo ending things people enjoy

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Fallom posted:

why is Nintendo ending things people enjoy

Hopefully so they can bring it back for a week or two every Mario birthday. Keeps the player pool healthy if it's only open for a limited time every year.

It's Nintendo they wont, they will try the same poo poo but with Luigi next year and make it bad somehow.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I burned out on Mario 35 when I realized I'll never unlock Luigi because no one ever picked the last two levels I needed, or if they did it never showed up until the end of a round when I've got 20 seconds left and the screen is filled with hammer bros

It was pretty fun though

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm ready for Mario 36

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Mario has officially become Nintendo's McRib.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Nintendo with strong 70s dad energy this week.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KingSlime posted:

It'll get cost and material prohibitive real fast.

HBG ruled in MHW world because with the Zinogre HBG and Guard Up you could face tank every non-instakill move in the game and just completely shrug it off. Though going to that from Insect Glaive was extremely painful since they're at the opposite ends of the mobility spectrum.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If a weakling like Jesus could manage to come back after dying during Easter I don't see why resurrection would be a big deal for effin Mario. He'll be back the day before Maneater launches next month to give us salvation in the form of a big dumb shark.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The Postman posted:

h-hey guys... it's me, uh Mario d-don't worry about it!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lodin posted:

If a weakling like Jesus could manage to come back after dying during Easter I don't see why resurrection would be a big deal for effin Mario. He'll be back the day before Maneater launches next month to give us salvation in the form of a big dumb shark.

The Gang Converts Gamers to Christianity Using Mario

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Takoluka posted:

Mario 35 did not have staying power, and Nintendo was right to remove it before every matched turned into the same five super players eating every random newbie that dates enter their realm.

if your only experience with mario 35 was the first like, week or so, when the endgame meta boiled down to 'whoever can damage-stall the timer the longest wins' then i can see why you'd think this, but the reality is that the meta was still evolving right to the moment they pulled the plug, and all the best players were intentionally matching into lobbies with each other specifically to play against one another rather than just pubstomp their way to easy victories. it wasn't uncommon for there to be 10-15 of us in a match together, and when a few of us would go over to the japanese players' lobbies there were multiple instances where all 35 players were double stars.

even if you want to argue that the game would be 'solved' eventually (which to be clear, it wasn't, at all), almost every single aspect of it was handled client-side. nintendo could host a low-res 256 color bitmap on their servers and it'd prolly take more bandwidth than mario 35 did. there's really no reason for them to do this other than to say 'gently caress you for liking thing, now we take it'.

the only bright side is that since it was handled almost entirely client-side, there's already talks of getting unofficial servers up like with old wii and ds games (in fact how its online worked is apparently not at all dissimilar from the online for most games on those systems).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This dude really loves Mario 35.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

honestly they'll get a lot of flak for it but replacing mario with the grinch is the best business decision they've made in the past decade

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Endgame meta chat in both the Switch thread and the MH thread. Never thought I’d see the day

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I can’t wait to pay $60 for time limited Zelda and Metroid collections so they too can join Mario in Valhalla. Donkey Kong ascends to his rightful place as the face of Nintendo.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheManWithNoName posted:

I can’t wait to pay $60 for time limited Zelda and Metroid collections so they too can join Mario in Valhalla. Donkey Kong ascends to his rightful place as the face of Nintendo.

I'd like a new Donkey Kong Country more than a new Metroid Prime so this works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I was too busy to touch Mario 35 even once :downs: