Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eggplant Squire posted:

Cruz is absolutely being insincere since he's a disgusting toad but it's also highlighting how she is treating these camp victims in the exact same way. The difference is she's writing a tweet storm to obfuscate the issue when she's on the receiving end about imperialism and whatever at the same time as the state department is rattling sabers in every direction which she isn't saying anything about either.

cruz getting called out : "what, me worry?"
aoc getting called out : :aochloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Yinlock posted:

it's only us who have to act like d&d doesn't exist, they can do whatever they want without consequence

yeah this is true

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eggplant Squire posted:

Cruz is absolutely being insincere since he's a disgusting toad but it's also highlighting how she is treating these camp victims in the exact same way. The difference is she's writing a tweet storm to obfuscate the issue when she's on the receiving end about imperialism and whatever at the same time as the state department is rattling sabers in every direction which she isn't saying anything about either.

also cruz has nothing to lose on this front, everyone already knows he's full of poo poo re: any kind of genuine concern

aoc otoh has built her brand on this stuff and she's desperately trying to hold the house of cards up

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

In the end you don't have to listen to me, but you do have to stop posting about dnd and dnd posters in this thread, or it will be gassed.

make cspam a sub forum of d&d

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Excelzior posted:

it just blows my mind that the same website that allows you to pay money to highlight some user's stupidity next to their every post - in as crude and insulting a way as you want! - is now going to pretend to care about protecting the fee fees of their very smart boys and girls

Yeah, mockery of other posters is literally part of the business model here.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/NHKWORLD_News/status/1377602285635780612

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acelerion posted:

yeah this is true

imo let people post how they want, d&d mods can punish c-spammers all they like for posting in d&d but they get absolutely no say on what goes on in c-spam

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

docbeard posted:

Yeah, ultimately I think it's for the best if CSPAM stop being so obsessed with what D&D is getting up to, but it would also be nice if they would stop being so obsessed with what CSPAM is getting up to, and it'd also be nice if there weren't such a difference in the way those obsessions are being treated, particularly when the behavior never leaves the forum in question.

I still don't think unsourced quotes should be punishable, even though I think they're stupid. It's just the same joke with the same punchline over and over, and contrary to what Seth MacFarlane may believe, that's not the nature of great comedy. But if bad jokes were grounds for bans, there'd be no one left, including and especially me.

I think there's two ways to use them, and the more common one is just "this is a bad idea I want to argue against without paying $10 to do it in D&D". If the assumption is already there that C-SPAM is going to be hitting up the search function now that it works to do forums grudgematches, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't also see summations of their arguments or quotes of twitter randos with the same bad takes as an attempt to evade this rule, and that leaves me in the position of having to know what the D&D posting superstars are up to in order to not accidentally step on their toes, rather than blissfully never reading a thread in there that isn't a regional, a tangent onto maps/flags/symbols, or Kangxi's excellent effort-thread on Wang Huning's writings.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Acelerion posted:

laughing at dnd posts in exchange for no poop touching seems to be a reasonable compromise but I dont know what you do about the people who really do want to post in both places. You need some kind of pressure relief valve between the two though. Trying to make everyone act like the other side doesnt exist is only going to make things worse.

yeah
regardless if lots of people think it's unfunny or poor form or whatever people are still going to want to do it, and D&D can decide if they want people going in there and poop-touching or having to suffer the horrific indignity of people -- god forbid -- pointing at their posts and saying "get a load of this guy". if the condition is that they have to be blind quotes, that's idiot baby poo poo but fine whatever. if you're getting too many reports tell the d&d psychopaths hate-reading this thread to shut the gently caress up or start eating probes

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yinlock posted:

also cruz has nothing to lose on this front, everyone already knows he's full of poo poo re: any kind of genuine concern

aoc otoh has built her brand on this stuff and she's desperately trying to hold the house of cards up

Yeah the Republicans can just see this as Cruz owning the Dems and not worry about his hypocracy since in that frame of mind he isn't. However at least some of AOC's fanbase is sincerely still worried about the situation at the border so she has to constantly do this dance now that she is poltically not allowed to be outraged at them anymore.

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Apr 2, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

a Loving Dog posted:

are you loving kidding me lmfao

we had people here in the cspam forum screeching about how stupid you are if you believe it was actually his laptop like two weeks ago

wow way to use your listening skills dude hunter clearly says he doesnt know its his laptop which means its unproved and you just came up with this crazy idea that its an unconvincing lie because youre racist against drug addicts

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Excelzior posted:

it just blows my mind that the same website that allows you to pay money to highlight some user's stupidity next to their every post - in as crude and insulting a way as you want! - is now going to pretend to care about protecting the fee fees of their very smart boys and girls

remember when someone in d&d was buying everyone trump supporter avatars if you were vaguely critical or skeptical about joe biden lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

yeah
regardless if lots of people think it's unfunny or poor form or whatever people are still going to want to do it, and D&D can decide if they want people going in there and poop-touching or having to suffer the horrific indignity of people -- god forbid -- pointing at their posts and saying "get a load of this guy". if the condition is that they have to be blind quotes, that's idiot baby poo poo but fine whatever. if you're getting too many reports tell the d&d psychopaths hate-reading this thread to shut the gently caress up or start eating probes

yeah the biggest reason they keep the report-avalanche up is it keeps working(how many times has a random modmin stepped in to lay down the law purely because "i'm tired of seeing reports about this thread"), punishing that would go a long way

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hey as long as Jeff is actually reading this thread somewhat regularly instead of just listening to the clique I’m satisfied with letting the latter run d&d into the ground until it can drown it in a bathtub

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

:d2a:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hey as long as Jeff is actually reading this thread somewhat regularly instead of just listening to the clique I’m satisfied with letting the latter run d&d into the ground until it can drown it in a bathtub

eh this is nice in theory but in practice d&d just keeps loving with us non-stop(this entire feud started because back when we were a d&d sub their mods just would not stop jumping into c-spam to arbitrarily punish leftists)

this is ostensibly why we were made top-level, but our mods still gladly obey whatever they say so welp

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/tomwatson/status/1377830004587913216

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1377599123319296000?s=19

Is this fair game lmao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Yinlock posted:

yeah the biggest reason they keep the report-avalanche up is it keeps working(how many times has a random modmin stepped in to lay down the law purely because "i'm tired of seeing reports about this thread"), punishing that would go a long way

it'd make their job so much easier

UCS socialweasel are u smashes that report button because someone had the temerity to suggest they were anything other than mother's good boy and all the mod has to do is see if the quote in question is attributed. Yes? poster eats a sixer. No? our aforementioned precious golden child gets ramped for doing the one single thing the mods tell me is the source of all of their problems

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/roloH88/status/1377690050893205506?s=20

seeing this dipshit's hot takes quite a bit, always this bad. I'm wondering which liberal superstar they are

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Phone posted:

remember when someone in d&d was buying everyone trump supporter avatars if you were vaguely critical or skeptical about joe biden lol

The JOE tag is still there.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

classic third way bullshit

I think one of the original few Bad Faith eps was about the Law And Order narrative the New Democrats used which led to Biden's crime bill

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Phone posted:

I still think it's absolutely hilarious that I've been redtexted for football way more often than for politics

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ah the tough on crime law and order candidate, a solid strategy if the uk was the usa, and also it was the 1990s

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Starmer will probably beat BoJo in the next election, because the UK sucks and because it's hellworld

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wow they've really increased the number of people per square foot to the minimum. you might say they've concentrated the people into one newly built area, like a camp.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

How long till posting videos of the camps becomes a ban-able offense lol

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

There's always room in the thread for soucce

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Saw a ton of new posts here. Sees fluffdaddy and Jeff have descended into the thread after getting called in by DND lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

yea, i'm not a smart admin man but it seems to me that if you don't want a bunch of hassle then openly establishing that personally hassling you is a sound strategy for some clique to get what they want is kinda counterproductive

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ArmZ posted:

wow they've really increased the number of people per square foot to the minimum. you might say they've concentrated the people into one newly built area, like a camp.

Shh! Quiet! The Semantics Police will hear you and they'll get super mad!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol good lord

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I also think there's a bit of disingenuity going in that we all know forums culture, especially when flashpoints like China get dragged into QCS, is to assume that the status quo is right unless there's a perfect point-by-point rebuttal to the supporters' own words and anything else is just trolls cherrypicking strawmen, yet here's a rule against using their own words with a basis that applies equally to paraphrased or even coincidental point-by-point.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
no succ but I've noticed that anyone who goes by a twitter handle that references Samuel Clemens is 100% of the time a chud Brian Griffin

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay - it is 6 am and I am here posting by myself without talking to any dnd mods first, so all I can give is my own thoughts on these things, not any sort of statement of firm policy going forward as understood by them.

I think there are a lot of leftists who post extremely well in dnd - I read plenty of leftist perspectives whenever I visit that forum. I do not go there and see a place where leftist thought is left out.

I think the arguments like "how dare you call these concentration camps?" are pretty dumb. If I click the thread about us politics, I want to read about us politics, not whether or not the camps should be called "concentration camps". I agree with the poster above and I think they're horrifying crimes against humanity regardless of what they are called. I think it is totally reasonable for the extremely busy and active uspol thread to not allow that particular debate to happen again and again. An argument exclusively about nomenclature goes nowhere, never touches on any material reality, and leaves everyone feeling worse. I also don't think that everyone who calls them "internment camps" or whatever the hell are pro-genocide by definition - that's not a fair insinuation to make either and leaping to that is pretty unfair. I'm sorry that the first cut of this rule as envisioned by IKs was "you can't call them this", that is indeed a nonsensical rule to me, but I think not allowing the argument at all about what they should be called is a good policy.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who happily called them concentration camps under trump but wouldn't under obama and won't under biden. Yes I think that is some silly hypocrisy. I don't see what pointing it out does to advance the discussion of the camps though - isn't the purpose of dnd to discuss the situation itself, the moral obligations stemming from such, and the positions of politicians on the matter?

How are people supposed to have any kind of good faith discussion with people about trying to fix an issue, or the root cause of an issue, when their own view changes depending on who in power is handling it? If someone went into a games thread and had a different opinion on a game for every post they made, they'd get told to stop trolling and if they didn't, the mods would jump in and give em a slap. In dnd, that is defended and the mods themselves engage in it. I'm not saying a mod needs to have perfect opinions or be inscrutable to a fault - there are mods who have made bad or unfunny posts that I can still think of as good mods. But when they specifically enforce a policy of "don't have semantics arguments" and the punishments only ever fall on one side of the argument... why is the blame falling on that one side for being upset rather than the one sided nature of the conversation?

If dnd really is just a debate club where decorum and effort posts are the only things allowed (so long as bigotry is thrown out) then it's failed. If dnd is a democrats fan club, it's failing at that too because clearly leftist opinions are allowed so long as they tiptoe into not making extremely whiny babies mad enough that they coordinate reports on the people that make them mad. Which, I think, is the actual root of the problem, rather than those mean old cspam posters that just want to call people rapists and genociders. If your problem is the latter? Guess what, a lot of people ITT would probably agree with you and be fine with probing or stopping that poo poo. But to get mad at people mocking dnd and then blame it on the latter type of poster is very dumb when you have buttons to make that latter type of person disappear.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I hope PM Bojangles wins again

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mandoric posted:

I also think there's a bit of disingenuity going in that we all know forums culture, especially when flashpoints like China get dragged into QCS, is to assume that the status quo is right unless there's a perfect point-by-point rebuttal to the supporters' own words and anything else is just trolls cherrypicking strawmen, yet here's a rule against using their own words with a basis that applies equally to paraphrased or even coincidental point-by-point.

someone got popped for pointing out that adrian zenz is a christian fundamentalist weirdo (who happens to also run the victims of communism foundation) in qcs

the only winning move is to not play

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

*staring longingly at a portrait of corbyn*

Feel like poo poo, just want him back.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Phone posted:

someone got popped for pointing out that adrian zenz is a christian fundamentalist weirdo (who happens to also run the victims of communism foundation) in qcs

the only winning move is to not play

look you're engaging in genocide denial if you don't think all covid deaths worldwide are China's fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/NatalieRevolts/status/1377327905181732886