Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

Harry Potter [...] feels like it was the last big franchise to really break people's brains

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

anybody who doesnt read real literature instead of genre crap is a loving moron

I think reading both is fine. I'm working through some cultural theory stuff just now, followed by a pretty heavy biographical work and I'm kind of excited to just chill with a Warhammer book for a few days once I'm done with those. I read one of the Witcher books last year as a change of pace and I had a grand time, but I couldn't imagine ONLY reading genre stuff.

I remember being genuinely sad in a comics creatives meeting once where everyone present only read manga and superheroes and never any actual books.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Harry potter seems to have way more staying power. I hardly see anyone talking about ponies anymore. And steven universe fandom seemed to die the second the show did.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Harry potter seems to have way more staying power. I hardly see anyone talking about ponies anymore. And steven universe fandom seemed to die the second the show did.

You're right.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'll just make this one another unpopular opinion, but Steven Universe was Good Actually. I'm way too old to know what Tumblr or Twitter made of it, and I'm guessing it wasn't good, but I thought it was a genuinely warm, funny show that drew from anime and gaming while leaving a lot of the bullshit behind and I imagine it's been important to a lot of young queer kids. My experience as a guy in his 30s catching it after the fact is probably very different to being "on the ground" while it aired though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont even know what "steven universe" is but every picture ive seen of it looks dreadful

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Adults who watch cartoons are weird

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

i dont even know what "steven universe" is but every picture ive seen of it looks dreadful

I'm not going to die on the hill of saying its essential television everyone must see or anything, but I do wish cartoons were that emotionally intelligent and sweet (while still containing spaceships and swords and anime battles) when I was a kid and it feels like a step above something like She-Ra which felt too YA to hold my attention at all. A lot of the backlash against it feels like a certain kind of guy angry that someone else is getting to play in the sandbox for a bit, but its not like not enjoying it or being interested betrays a lack of taste or anything. Its just a kids show, but a decent one.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

I think reading both is fine. I'm working through some cultural theory stuff just now, followed by a pretty heavy biographical work and I'm kind of excited to just chill with a Warhammer book for a few days once I'm done with those. I read one of the Witcher books last year as a change of pace and I had a grand time, but I couldn't imagine ONLY reading genre stuff.

I remember being genuinely sad in a comics creatives meeting once where everyone present only read manga and superheroes and never any actual books.

i dont get why people do this though. reading warhammer isnt "chill" at all because its not good, reading bad stuff feels like homework

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i dont get why people do this though. reading warhammer isnt "chill" at all because its not good, reading bad stuff feels like homework

Generally things don’t feel like homework to people that enjoy them

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

I won't read if I don't find it entertaining, but there's joy in just enjoying an adventure yarn on occasion as a treat. I just see it like a sorbet between courses. But if you ate sorbet all the time, you'd get sick.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Adults who watch cartoons are weird

With the exception of people that watch with their kids, yeah. They are. At least the people that go out of their way to watch children's shows. If someone tells me they're a fan of a kid's cartoon I immediately wonder about them a little bit. It's not nice, but I've never been wrong when I assumed someone extremely into children's TV of any sort is a bit off. I'm not saying they're a creep but they typically have a different kind of cope than I can work with.

And that's okay. I hope they're happy and living their best life. Somewhere else. So that I don't have to pretend I enjoy the Amazing World of Gumball.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can’t say that I’m particularly into kids cartoons but something like Adventure Time is a nice change of pace from bleak prestige dramas or cynical comedies that I spend most of my time watching.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

The best food you can buy comes from a gas station deep fryer. You got your taquitos, crispitos, burritos, chicken tenders, nuggets, whole bone in pieces, every kind of fried potato, egg rolls, boudin balls (offer only available in rad neighborhoods), corn dogs, jalapeno poppers, CHURROS.

If you're not eating at a gas station or bodega weekly you're not living your life right. Go to the ugly one that sells beer 2 for 1.

I just wanted to stop talking about tattoos for a while.

If the R-kiosk down the street is open on Long Friday, I'll go there and get a 2€ hot dog. Everyone says they're great.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

I won't read if I don't find it entertaining, but there's joy in just enjoying an adventure yarn on occasion as a treat. I just see it like a sorbet between courses. But if you ate sorbet all the time, you'd get sick.

but even if you want an adventure theres stuff thats good. robinson crusoe, gulliver's travels, even something like jules verne or tolkien, anything but shiny print paperbacks about spaceships

its not even about snobbery for me, its just inferior even as entertainment

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

but even if you want an adventure theres stuff thats good. robinson crusoe, gulliver's travels, even something like jules verne or tolkien, anything but shiny print paperbacks about spaceships

Isn't all of that just genre fiction from 100 years ago.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guyver posted:

Isn't all of that just genre fiction from 100 years ago.

Yes, socio-political satire is a genre inasmuch as genre exists. (Or what genre did you think Gulliver's Travels, the well-known 100-year-old book, was?)

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Traveling.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Are you 85? Lol. Those are all good books but anyone that loves a sweeping adventure already read those and has read everything like them and now they just want something new and different.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
don't read genre fiction read Tolkien lol

PHUO: genre fiction is a dumb distinction. Tolkien, Verne, Poe, Stoker's Dracula, these things are both extremely genre fiction and widely considered timeless classics. Nothing gets to be "literature" until its decades old at least, so anyone who insists you read "literature" and gives you an english 101 class reading list is dumb as rocks.

As a counterexample, Lovecraft is both genre fiction and quite bad (not that I don't personally love him) but he gets tons of undeserved respect for coming before a lot of what people like now.

e: I don't love him as a human being let's not all explain how racist he was that happened like two days ago already

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Yeah the dichtonomy of genre fiction/capital-L Literature is false and is stupid.

Like I get the urge to differentiate stuff like a hundreth WH40K novel and Ulysses or whatever, but (as with any form of art) the questions of where to put the boundary, how fuzzy should this boundary be and even how to deliniate one from another are so vast and so subjective that it just becomes pointless. Even worse, this deliniation becomes harmful when it turns into a tool for setting what's classy and in good taste and what isn't, both stalling possible innovation in arts and harming the merits of art that is not conforming to the good taste. Same goes for bullshit like declaring something "outsider art".

Like one could consider Crime and Punishment to be genre fiction, and that wouldn't detract from it being a great book, imo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Genre is a capitalist invention. It's not something inherent to literature, but inherent to publishing and consumption of books.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
If you're enjoying reading a book or watching a movie, it's low-class genre trash.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

Most of those are rightfully important books, but also draggy AF. Writing styles, even for frothy genre stuff, have changed and I don't want to spend half the book reading about the new science of blood transfusions or six chapters on the different kinds sails 16th century boats can have. Robinson Crusoe especially is draggy AF and id rather not have to deal with the 250yr old attitudes to race

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Genre is a capitalist invention. It's not something inherent to literature, but inherent to publishing and consumption of books.

:hmmyes:

It's a way to categorise stuff to sell it easier (or to get it to people who like similar stuff and whatnot), and like with all attempts at categorisation it is now directly affecting the thing it's only supposed to categorise - in that people occasionaly try to aim their creative output to fit a specific genre. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the effect is there

I don't think it's necessarily a capitalist invention - it's just human nature to categorise things. Though like with everything, capitalism's made it that much worse

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Honestly if you're reading anything other than standpipe maintenance logs and chemical reference manuals you are a trash person who should probably walk into the ocean

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's silly, you can't consume a book. It's still there after you read it.

Though I'm sure Amazon is working on a way to fix that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

genre fiction just means insular writing that isnt in dialogue with other works

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

genre fiction just means insular writing that isnt in dialogue with other works

i get that this is phuo and all but this is honestly one of the weirder definitions of "genre fiction" i've seen

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

gullivers travels and robinson crosoe are 300 years old btw not 100

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guyver posted:

That's silly, you can't consume a book. It's still there after you read it.

Not really. There's a book there after you've read it, but if you re-read it you'll find it wasn't the same, and the next time you'll find it wasn't the same as the second time, etc.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Shibawanko posted:

Just because a book is older doesn't add to its value. Those are good. But also there's good stuff thats modern. Books should be judged at the individual level by how you feel when reading them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

gullivers travels and robinson crosoe are 300 years old btw not 100

Okay.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not really. There's a book there after you've read it, but if you re-read it you'll find it wasn't the same, and the next time you'll find it wasn't the same as the second time, etc.

No, I'm pretty sure it's still there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My WH40k bookshelf is definitely in communication with other works, like Ridley Scott's Alien, Judge Dredd (1995), and my opposite shelf of Warhammer Fantasy novels.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I think people who only read "great literature" are kind of playing themselves too, because sometimes its good to have shared cultural references with people and not be the equivalent of the guy who slams into Facebook comment sections about Taylor Swift to proclaim "Never heard of her"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Disco Pope posted:

I think people who only read "great literature" are kind of playing themselves too, because sometimes its good to have shared cultural references with people and not be the equivalent of the guy who slams into Facebook comment sections about Taylor Swift to proclaim "Never heard of her"

Taylor Swift's 1989? Ugh, no thanks plebs. Beethoven's Two Preludes through all twelve major keys for piano, Op. 39 composed in 1789? Now we're talking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

I think people who only read "great literature" are kind of playing themselves too, because sometimes its good to have shared cultural references with people

They can have those experiences with other people who read "great literature".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

They do it because being contrarian is their main personality trait. If they can be ‘above it all’ they get to feel cool and smug without having to do any of the effort of actually engaging in the modern world. They can just read someone smart’s thoughts about the 300 year old books and regurgitate those thoughts at people to make the cargo cult version of an academic point.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Why don't you read some real literature

*names literal children's books*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Is it okay that I read everything Douglas Adams wrote about the universe, re-listen to all the radio shows, watch the show and movie, and then read the extended HHGttG stuff annually? Then I do all that again but Dirk Gently. I don't want anyone to think I'm a nerd or something horrible.

I just want to see where I'm at on the real literature star chart.