Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
huh, turns out crimsonitis is contagious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Oh, and furthermore, I consider that Labour must be destroyed

_Labor delenda est_ doesn’t really have much of a ring to it, largely because the Latin turns out to be the same as the American.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

labour bellends est

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

feedmegin posted:

...what the gently caress are you talking about

At a guess...

Lots of small states in medieval and early modern continental Europe, and so much easier to put on a satirical play about the local nobs and then gently caress off across the border to the next duchy where their wrath couldn't touch you than it was in England.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Noxville posted:

Surprised she never heard ‘incursion’ used in reference to the Iraq war that her party started
Tbf, she was like 10 years old when that happened. But yeah, that excuse is completely incredible, the only optimistic interpretation I can come up with is 'I didn't actually read the leaflet I was handing out, but obviously can't admit that, so here's some bullshit instead.'

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Apraxin posted:

Tbf, she was like 10 years old when that happened. But yeah, that excuse is completely incredible, the only optimistic interpretation I can come up with is 'I didn't actually read the leaflet I was handing out, but obviously can't admit that, so here's some bullshit instead.'
I'd prefer "I didn't read it" to "what do words mean", but honestly the only acceptable response would be "holy poo poo gently caress I am so sorry, I had no idea, this is not who we are, & so I will now either resign from my post or take personal responsibility for finding out exactly who is responsible and making sure it doesn't happen again"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Even if she claims to not know what the word incursion means, she should probably have seen how problematic "dealing with travelers" is, incursion or not.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TheRat posted:

Even if she claims to not know what the word incursion means, she should probably have seen how problematic "dealing with travelers" is, incursion or not.

Wheeling and dealing

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Nah, that's just in English.

"England is uniquely lovely." isn't a joke or an exaggeration.

The geography and tensions in the rest of Europe meant that it was a lot easier to get away with it since the local elite only had so much reach.

Roman and Greek humor was 90% dunking on slaves, women and foreigners.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Charlotte Nichols posted:

The terminology around "incursions" appears widely used in legal and local government contexts
I had a little play around with the search function on Lexis.

There are exactly 3 court cases that use phrases like "traveller incursion", "travellers' incursion", "incursion by travellers", &c. Of these, one refers to "suffering from" incursion (def negative), and another refers to "vulnerability to" incursion (also negative). The other one is kinda neutral I guess, basically just using "incursion" as synonymous with "trespass". I also looked through all of the legislation, journal articles, practice notes &c that contain both the words "traveller" and "incursion", and not a single one is about incursion by travellers, in every case the words are just somewhere in the document by coincidence.

I think Charlotte Nichols might just be A Bad Egg.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Borrovan posted:

I'd prefer "I didn't read it" to "what do words mean", but honestly the only acceptable response would be "holy poo poo gently caress I am so sorry, I had no idea, this is not who we are, & so I will now either resign from my post or take personal responsibility for finding out exactly who is responsible and making sure it doesn't happen again"

Yeah the correct response is "we're going to find out who printed this and expel them from the party" but unfortunately being anti-traveller is the most acceptable racism so the person will likely get a promotion instead.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Modern politics: taking Hanlon's Razor* and using it as a shield.

* "Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."

The important follow-up to this is "Sufficiently advanced stupidity can only come from malice."

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Support, don't oppose.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/02/the-guardian-view-on-starmers-first-year-show-dont-tell

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah the correct response is "we're going to find out who printed this and expel them from the party" but unfortunately being anti-traveller is the most acceptable racism so the person will likely get a promotion instead.

At least there is this, but too little too late. It should never have been on there in the first place. And her excuse was laughable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/02/labour-destroy-local-election-leaflet-anti-travellers-pledge

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

How many have been handed out, will there be a leaflet amnesty?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I wonder what she was saying on doorsteps when asked about that part of the leaflet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think anyone read the leaflets as I was on the doorstep so I would be surprised if anyone asked.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I agree with the never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity, or in this case naïevety, TBH.

https://twitter.com/charlotte2153/status/1377979521220108291

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bollocks that it's not the values of the Labour Party under Mr Cops.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sorry, sorry, Sir Cops.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

I agree with the never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity, or in this case naïevety, TBH.

https://twitter.com/charlotte2153/status/1377979521220108291

Lol at "the leaflet will be destroyed", they were hardly gonna put it in a museum were they?

Now that the corrupting influence of the Bad Leaflet has been excised, our politics are good again

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It was a commonly held value in Labour under Corbyn as well. That's kind of the point.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

namesake posted:

It was a commonly held value in Labour under Corbyn as well. That's kind of the point.

Well yes but the leader himself would be like "Heavens no, these are precious human beings" whereas Smithers would be like *sticks clothes peg on nose* "while I take issue with the wording, we must respect our law enforcement's right to secure green spaces"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sebzilla posted:

At a guess...

Lots of small states in medieval and early modern continental Europe, and so much easier to put on a satirical play about the local nobs and then gently caress off across the border to the next duchy where their wrath couldn't touch you than it was in England.

Yeah think I'm going to need a cite on that. Particularly if we are claiming England was somehow UNIQUELY bad because try that in say early 18th century France and see where that gets you. Continental Europe is not a uniform sea of tiny little principalities for the literal millennium plus of time we are talking about here.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 2, 2021

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
This leaflet is not in line with the values of the labour party which created, approved, produced and distributed it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kyojin posted:

This leaflet is not in line with the values of the labour party which created, approved, produced and distributed it

This would have never happened had the labour party been subject to increased police monitoring and harsher sentences for campaigners.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

kyojin posted:

The institution itself created it, independent of the members.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Yeah think I'm going to need a cite on that. Particularly if we are claiming England was somehow UNIQUELY bad because try that in say early 18th century France and see where that gets you. Continental Europe is not a uniform sea of tiny little principalities for the literal millennium plus of time we are talking about here.
The whole of early 18th century Switzerland loves Milkshake Play, a lovely play about drinking milkshakes! *5 seconds later* We regret to inform you the play is the wrong type of Christianity and on fire.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

At least there is this, but too little too late. It should never have been on there in the first place. And her excuse was laughable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/02/labour-destroy-local-election-leaflet-anti-travellers-pledge
The leaflets were destroyed in a large bonfire which left damage to local fields, and the cordon used to secure the area consisted of several caravans.

Local party officials were quoted as saying "This is the one thing we didn't want to happen."

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

feedmegin posted:

That's not even going into how discourse has historically been freer in the UK than most of Europe. The UK was one of the first countries which had a largely uncensored press and a long history of it. Most other places cracked down far more heavily on any criticism of the King and other notables.

It gave us such gems as John Bull farting at George the third.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The leaflets were destroyed in a large bonfire which left damage to local fields, and the cordon used to secure the area consisted of several caravans.

Local party officials were quoted as saying "This is the one thing we didn't want to happen."

Ha! Very good.

When I read “incursions from Travellers” I did think of the villagers building a wooden palisade and arming themselves with pitchforks and homemade spears in a can attempt to repel the Viking-like Traveller raids.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Does a society, a nation, get to decide how it wants it's citizens, (peoples?) to live? To say this is an acceptable way of life and this isn't? If you choose this way of life we will make things hard for you because we, quite rightly, don't want people in this country who just turn up where they want when they want, ignore all the rules, gently caress everybody over, benefit from crimes all the while and just act however they want?

And if we all agree on this we should just ban the rich.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

When I read “incursions from Travellers” I did think of the villagers building a wooden palisade and arming themselves with pitchforks and homemade spears in a can attempt to repel the Viking-like Traveller raids.
This is also, unfortunately, what many villagers imagine themselves as doing, rather than just 'being bigots'.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

At least it's a proper apology which accepts it was wrong and that harm was done. Without any commitment to find out or change how it came about, so this will just happen again somewhere else and whoever produced the leaflet originally will keep making them as long as it goes down well with the focus groups. But at least it's not a "sorry if you were offended by it (but that's your fault not mine)" that we normally see.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean strictly it doesn't say it was wrong, it says that she regrets the offence it caused (not that the sentiment itself was wrong, as in it would have been entirely fine if nobody had whinged about it) and that having spoken to the labour party she has now decided to say it does not reflect her or their officially espoused values (but not that it was wrong to put it on a leaflet to appeal to racists)

The emphasis is very much on the "I regret that this reached a wider audience than the horrible village racists I was intending for it to reach."

Seems very much in line with the "sorry you were offended" approach tbh.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I'm not saying it's great, but "the offence I have caused" is an active sentence, where instead the lovely ones are passive like "any offence caused" (which technically doesn't acknowledge that the person apologising was responsible), or reflective like "any offence taken" (where the responsibility is shifted to those offended).

Like I said though, I don't think anything will actually change and there's no commitment to do so either.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The use of “incursion” makes me think that travellers are extra dimensional beings penetrating the thin membrane between realities in order to alter and permutate the mundane.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/llewcid/status/1378042961204805639?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

The use of “incursion” makes me think that travellers are extra dimensional beings penetrating the thin membrane between realities in order to alter and permutate the mundane.

I think that's literally a plot point in the vampire diaries tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's literally a plot point in the vampire diaries tv show.

Also 5th Edition D&D (and probably older editions I don't know i'm not a d&d scholar)