Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Breakfast All Day posted:

anyway i skipped pages of tedious dnd/admin chat but im just gonna reiterate for the nth time that fyad and various pyf threads routinely quote and make fun of cspam poo poo and thats fine, i dont care, even my dumb rear end may be in there. if they get lols out of it im glad

if we cant lol at people who view themselves as serious debaters on a shitposting forum pretzeling themselves into rhetorical finger traps with their own positions from just weeks ago, what is the forum for

gudetama or whoevers post should be goldmined

yeah if like someone quotes my post and says "look at this loving tankie moron lmao" and then laughs I mean that's good at least someone is laughing at my posts. I can try to make jokes and if they don't land it's okay because I'm still funny if someone is calling me an r-slur in another thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
ok I caught up. Lmao that my unsourced quote made the mod from the unsourced quote have an absolute pissbaby meltdown of epic proportions that it’s STILL pissing them off enough to try and get unsourced quotes banned in Cspam. Holy poo poo.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

DoomTrainPhD posted:

ok I caught up. Lmao that my unsourced quote made the mod from the unsourced quote have an absolute pissbaby meltdown of epic proportions that it’s STILL pissing them off enough to try and get unsourced quotes banned in Cspam. Holy poo poo.

someone somewhere is laughing at me

this is unacceptable, they must be hunted down and punished

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1233414601041207296

Just a reminder that the whole working class bartender thing was bullshit.

AOC probably views her job as a bartender the way Pete Buttigieg views his time as a soldier: Something that looks good on a political resume.

the aoc vs cruz posting war is getting funnier by the minute. like jesus, she's dropping a science fair tryhard photo. you couldn't make this poo poo up.

Tricky D has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Apr 2, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

quote:

Reminder that if you don't vote then your effective position is for more and worse concentration camps.

quote:

Cause the alternative is not only much more racist but is literally building concentration camps for children. This isn't hard.

quote:

Ah yes the "I won't vote for someone who used to be a "cop" because she made her career arresting minorities so it's better to let the guy get elected that's currently putting minorities in concentration camps by the thousands" principled approach.

quote:

You are specifically and intentionally invoking the holocaust. Not because concentration camps are literally unique to the holocaust and that's the only thing you could be referring to, but because you are intentionally making a connection to the holocaust.

I don't see anyone making threads about how they're passionate about reclaiming the term concentration camp from those oppressive holocaust survivors, and not even Fishmech gets this worked up about holding the line for linguistic proscriptivism against the popular understanding and usage of a term. This isn't some great moral crusade about how holocaust victims are unjustly erasing the memory of concentration camp victims, that through some mysterious historical accident only comes up when taking about the crisis on the southern US border.

No, you're using it because most people associate it with the holocaust and it's your intent to invoke that association for the purposes of rhetorical effect. If you weren't deliberately trying to invoke the holocaust or equivalent then you wouldn't have any issue using one of the several alternatives that are equally derogatory as the context you're claiming to be using the term concentration camp in.

But that's not what you're doing, people aren't getting your message confused by receiving it as an analogy to the holocaust because that is the message you are intentionally sending. It doesn't matter if in some other context it could be referring to something else. Most people associate it with the holocaust, and you're using it because most people associate it with the holocaust, because you want to invoke the equivalent moral outage.

So if you're not trolling defend the invocation, because there's not a soul in this forum that believes this childish "I'm not touching you" game about how concentration camps aren't necessarily talking about the holocaust. You're absolutely right, they're not, but you are.

I upturned a bag of scrabble tiles and this is a transcript of what lay on my table. any resemblance to posts living or dead is entirely coincidental.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

anyway i skipped pages of tedious dnd/admin chat but im just gonna reiterate for the nth time that fyad and various pyf threads routinely quote and make fun of cspam poo poo and thats fine, i dont care, even my dumb rear end may be in there. if they get lols out of it im glad

if we cant lol at people who view themselves as serious debaters on a shitposting forum pretzeling themselves into rhetorical finger traps with their own positions from just weeks ago, what is the forum for

gudetama or whoevers post should be goldmined

I used to be the kind of guy who namesearched to see if I was getting mocked in FYAD or what-have-you; this was in the days when I was exclusively a mock-thread poster and probably deserved it though

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I would like to reiterate the point mentioned several pages back that we can pay $$$ to pin someone's embarrassing post to them like a kindergarten note but we can't quote them anonymously lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

You're all denigrating the shoah by wanting the concentration camps to be accurately described. I am very smart.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

DoomTrainPhD posted:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Tricky D posted:

the aoc vs cruz posting war is getting funnier by the minute. like jesus, she's dropping a science fair tryhard photo. you couldn't make this poo poo up.

that was from last year

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If I knew my quote would have created so much drama that Jeffry got involved, I wouldn’t have posted the quote because all of this back and forth is draconian and not funny. I’m sorry guys. I just wanted to post a REALLY bad take for us to mock for a page or two. :smith:

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

charge 10 cents to post a dnd quote and 5 cents for the quoted person to hit the report button on it

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Deified Data posted:

I would like to reiterate the point mentioned several pages back that we can pay $$$ to pin someone's embarrassing post to them like a kindergarten note but we can't quote them anonymously lol

:capitalism:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Fellas, fellas, it's not family separation if they're only separating them from their aunts and uncles and cousins. Extended family obviously doesn't count. And I mean come on, my uncle is kind of a weird dude, I'd be happy to be separated from him lol!

One of my uncles is a lifelong Clinton fanatic and if I was in his care I'd beg for government intervention

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

if I knew my quote would have created so much drama that Jeffry got involved, I wouldn’t have posted the quote because all of this back and forth is draconian and not funny. I’m sorry guys. :smith:

There's literally nothing we can do save not existing that will make this stop

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

a Loving Dog posted:

are you loving kidding me lmfao

we had people here in the cspam forum screeching about how stupid you are if you believe it was actually his laptop like two weeks ago

lol at all the people saying it was obviously all fake and forged. he’s not even trying to deny it

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Flunky posted:

charge 10 cents to post a dnd quote and 5 cents for the quoted person to hit the report button on it

in the qcs thread maine paineframe let drop that there are multiple people who regularly max out their cap of 12 daily reports lmao

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

lumpentroll posted:

that was from last year

i see that now. i correct my previous statement to reflect the fact that it was always hilarious

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

witchy posted:

in the qcs thread maine paineframe let drop that there are multiple people who regularly max out their cap of 12 daily reports lmao

lmao imagine being this much of a pedant

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

witchy posted:

lmfao

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

bullied in high school and it shows!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I upturned a bag of scrabble tiles and this is a transcript of what lay on my table. any resemblance to posts living or dead is entirely coincidental.

Man if someone ever made those.posts they would be incredibly loving stupid and morally bankrupt. So pathetic to not even be pitiable.

Good thing those aren't real posts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I just wanted to post a REALLY bad take for us to mock for a page or two. :smith:

All over the world, complex centuries-old polyculture food-forests that sustained countless lives for generations are destroyed by the arrogance of industrial production, replaced for a short while by a wheat or corn monoculture so people can pick up their bread down the street from their home or workplace instead of muddying their feet to gather food from the wild as their ancestors did. This convenience seems like “progress” to civilized people, at least until the destructive industrial agriculture process renders the wheat fields infertile and farms all over the world are turned into a vast uninhabitable dust bowl. A sustainable way of life that kept us alive and thriving for centuries has been tossed aside in favor of a short-lived attempt at industrial convenience that has already proven itself a horrible failure; bringing us and every other lifeform to the verge of extinction.

Industry is not sustainable. Industrial systems are all destructive. Communism, capitalism, fascism, they’re all founded on ecocide. The authority of the baker is upheld over everything else because domesticated people would rather consume “free” industrial bread for a few years than unlearn their destructive consumerist habits. If we are to survive these times of devastating ecological collapse, humans need to go back to fostering vast food forests as our ancestors did for millennia; producing and gathering our own food without destroying the very ecosystem that gives us life in the name of luxury and convenience.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

witchy posted:

lol

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fart simpson posted:

lol at all the people saying it was obviously all fake and forged. he’s not even trying to deny it

hahaha I never gave a poo poo about it but I never would have believed that the laptop was actually his. the e-mails, sure

everything is dumber than your greatest imagination

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

witchy posted:

Lmaoooo

Post the reports mods.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

If these were real posts, and they had been made AFTER November of last year,

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

witchy posted:

lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

All over the world, complex centuries-old polyculture food-forests that sustained countless lives for generations are destroyed by the arrogance of industrial production, replaced for a short while by a wheat or corn monoculture so people can pick up their bread down the street from their home or workplace instead of muddying their feet to gather food from the wild as their ancestors did. This convenience seems like “progress” to civilized people, at least until the destructive industrial agriculture process renders the wheat fields infertile and farms all over the world are turned into a vast uninhabitable dust bowl. A sustainable way of life that kept us alive and thriving for centuries has been tossed aside in favor of a short-lived attempt at industrial convenience that has already proven itself a horrible failure; bringing us and every other lifeform to the verge of extinction.

Industry is not sustainable. Industrial systems are all destructive. Communism, capitalism, fascism, they’re all founded on ecocide. The authority of the baker is upheld over everything else because domesticated people would rather consume “free” industrial bread for a few years than unlearn their destructive consumerist habits. If we are to survive these times of devastating ecological collapse, humans need to go back to fostering vast food forests as our ancestors did for millennia; producing and gathering our own food without destroying the very ecosystem that gives us life in the name of luxury and convenience.

the anprim thread was great

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

witchy posted:

Lol, obvious solution is those people don't get to report anything. There needs to be a bad reports thread. I want to see the crybaby reports. Give me the reports!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

pinched my nose with my index finger and thumb while reading this stinker

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Why does The Hill have so many boomers commenting on every post

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

witchy posted:

I mostly just lurk, but imagine thinking the posters ITT are the problem when people like this exist.

Also, how is blind quoting and mocking D&D posts any different from the goonlulz thread in FYAD or any of the goons.txt -style threads that have existed over the years? Laughing at bad posts has been a staple of this forum since forever.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Deified Data posted:

There's literally nothing we can do save not existing that will make this stop

Nonsense. All we have to do is win the victory over ourselves and it will all stop.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Top Gun Reference posted:

I mostly just lurk, but imagine thinking the posters ITT are the problem when people like this exist.

Also, how is blind quoting and mocking D&D posts any different from the goonlulz thread in FYAD or any of the goons.txt -style threads that have existed over the years? Laughing at bad posts has been a staple of this forum since forever.

it's so loving funny that this forum is the containment zone when it's super clear which side of this 'rivalry' has the unhinged freaks

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Why does The Hill have so many boomers commenting on every post

Who the hell else gives a poo poo about the hill other than them and DC staffers?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay - it is 6 am and I am here posting by myself without talking to any dnd mods first, so all I can give is my own thoughts on these things, not any sort of statement of firm policy going forward as understood by them.

I think there are a lot of leftists who post extremely well in dnd - I read plenty of leftist perspectives whenever I visit that forum. I do not go there and see a place where leftist thought is left out.

I think the arguments like "how dare you call these concentration camps?" are pretty dumb. If I click the thread about us politics, I want to read about us politics, not whether or not the camps should be called "concentration camps". I agree with the poster above and I think they're horrifying crimes against humanity regardless of what they are called. I think it is totally reasonable for the extremely busy and active uspol thread to not allow that particular debate to happen again and again. An argument exclusively about nomenclature goes nowhere, never touches on any material reality, and leaves everyone feeling worse. I also don't think that everyone who calls them "internment camps" or whatever the hell are pro-genocide by definition - that's not a fair insinuation to make either and leaping to that is pretty unfair. I'm sorry that the first cut of this rule as envisioned by IKs was "you can't call them this", that is indeed a nonsensical rule to me, but I think not allowing the argument at all about what they should be called is a good policy.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who happily called them concentration camps under trump but wouldn't under obama and won't under biden. Yes I think that is some silly hypocrisy. I don't see what pointing it out does to advance the discussion of the camps though - isn't the purpose of dnd to discuss the situation itself, the moral obligations stemming from such, and the positions of politicians on the matter? Not what poster called them that then and this now? Like, I get not engaging if you think someone is not sincere, by all means don't respond to someone if you think there is nothing to be gained by doing so. I just don't think it's a valid alternative to instead turn the thread, which 1000+ people click on to read about "us politics", into a discussion about what HerTurn420 called the camps two years ago. I think that is exactly what I mean by "debate club" rules - it's an argument about a specific poster in a thread that really, desperately needs to stay on topic to be any good and not waste the time of the 1000 people who click on it.

If the same thing came up with celtics guy, they'd probably say something like "oh my brother in law is really into the lakers and I've been watching the games with him" and no one would think about it twice. If you had an argument about it for two pages in the thread about live-watching the championship, yeah I bet you'd find SAS does have that rule.

Again, you seem to misunderstand the issue. The issue isn't that I want to discuss whether they are concentration camps. The issue isn't that they are hypocrites. The issue is that it went from being a widely used and acknowledged term to being one that the very use makes it probate worthy, and that even pointing that out in a completely different forum creates the endless drama you are seeing now. The celtics fan example isn't whether they'd have to explain their shift. Is whether they could make pointing out the shift a probate worthy rule.

For a year now it has been acceptable to outright state that Tara Reade is a perjurer. Note that that accusation isn't even about whether she is lying about what Joe Biden did to her, but about credentials and legal cases that are completely unrelated to her allegations about Biden. And despite the fact that the "perjury" accusation has been 100% debunked (and should never have been relevant in the first place), it can be still used as a talking point. I am pretty sure that there isn't any other situation or context in which smearing an alleged victim this way would be considered ok in this forum, and yet here we are.

And my argument isn't even to change the rules in D&D. I've learned the hard lesson that it's not about actually providing content and information but falling in line over there. The argument is that you can't keep giving in to the loud posters over what happens everywhere else too. You are at the point where you are about to have to assign a mod to make sure no one is posting unsourced and unattributed D&D quotes here. Isn't it more reasonable to simply not give in to the insane whiners? They've already "won" in chasing out any dissenting opinion from D&D. Why should they have the power to make policy anywhere else too?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay I will do my best to speak frankly - sorry in advance to any liberal folks reading this. It is a base assumption of mine that, to be a leftist in America, you are going to butt heads with 99.9% of people that you meet when you talk about politics. It is really easy to see the base-level cruelty in liberal thought once that particular veil is lifted, but for most people in this country, it has not. I know this, I presume you know this, it's probably something that everyone in this forum takes for granted. Something Awful has a makeup that is quite different from this - I would wager that leftists of one flavor or another have a plurality if not an outright majority here. Maybe that is wrong, it's not like I have demographic data from a goon census, but that's my read on things and I think it's as good as anyone's. It's super cool that such places can exist, it's an honor to have so many people here who get it, and that's not going to change.

However, being one of those leftists is not a requirement for posting here. Politics discussion is a major draw of this site but it's far from the only thing people come here for. Anyone can join and say what they think and talk in the politics forums, either this free-for-all one here or the more rigid one where you're expected to engage constructively with whoever is speaking. There are very few openly conservative people here, and the ones that are here know better than to speak of it too loudly. Given that we've already banned one half of all mainstream american thought, nearly entirely, I'm not prepared to outlaw the other one as well. The liberals are here and they're staying here and frankly, seeking to drive them off is pretty self-defeating. How did you leave that 99.9%? I'm guessing you weren't raised a leftist from birth - you wanna share? I will tell you how I did it - I was wrong about poo poo, and I posted about it right here on this website, and I learned better. Would that have happened if, instead of arguing, people just screamed at me that I must love rape and genocide so much I want to marry it? Probably not. I'd like to think I have a pretty thick skin, but who would stick around for that? Even when I believed dumb liberal horseshit, I knew I wasn't a white supremacist and if all I got when I posted was accusations of white supremacy, I'd gently caress off. Flinging those sorts of accusations at people who, like most of the people in the known universe, have merely failed to come to the same leftist conclusions you have is basically pulling the ladder up behind you. Most of the leftists on this site became leftists *because* of this site, and it's a good thing your forebears didn't treat you that way. (Sorry if this doesn't apply to you personally - it certainly applies to many many people in this thread.)

This doesn't mean you have to enjoy that sort of debate - no one makes you participate. This doesn't mean you can't be frustrated by those opinions - I know they frustrate me! But it does mean you don't get to have a clubhouse in which you accuse those people of whatever exaggerated ideological crime you can imagine. Voting for Pete Buttigieg is stupid but it doesn't make you a white supremacist, and that sort of leap is really loving toxic when it's thrown at people who might instead figure things out, the same way many of us did. Some of them never will, and that is part of loving life - you share a community with people like that, both IRL and online, and truly, it's not the hell you think it is. You can still go engage in debate club with them if you want, but those debate-club rules are the reason the forum exists - like it or not, it's the forum where you back up what you say with thought and facts, not one where you find unbelievers to burn, and that applies to everyone. If you can't handle it, just let it go. I'm begging you. Accept that some people will have the resolve to debate with them, and some won't, and if you don't have the disposition to do so without verbally sucker-punching them, you have this whole other forum about politics right here to post in still, with people who agree with you.

I will be straight and say that I like this thread a lot when it is about democrats in the large. I keep it bookmarked and the views expressed here match my own views more than any other thread on the forums. But the way you treat the other people on this site, whose only crime is being wrong in the liberal way that a hundred million americans are wrong, is poo poo. It's toxic to any sort of growth and it doesn't advance the cause at all - all it does is gently caress up this pretty cool web community we have going here, where, unlike almost anywhere else, people actually manage to exit that 99.9%. You have to quit loving it up. As an insane person, the success of this site is more important to me than the success of america, and if this thread cannot stop screaming at hapless liberals that they love rape and genocide until they leave forever in fear of losing their jobs, it has to go away.

My favorite thing about all of the forums is that Games has a "believe women" rules post but D&D doesn't.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
you fuckers can never take away my love love of aoc, based purely on thirst, devoid of rhetoric, intellect, or the single functioning neuron left in my perfectly ensmoothened withered brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

pointing out hypocrisy feels good and its fun but it never does anything to change the hypocrites' minds bc they dont care