Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

doctorfrog posted:

• Flight sims should not solely derive their fun from combat.

:psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

doctorfrog posted:

• Flying should be as fun as driving a car for the first time.

why would i want to play a boring stressful videogame

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think that in all games with driving gameplay the objective should be to drive defensively and obey the rules of the road at all times while especially watching carefully for bicyclists and pedestrians

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What if your first driving experience is done sans adult supervision tho

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

What if your first driving experience is done sans adult supervision tho

"You're 15 and your girlfriend needs clove cigarettes and has her drunk moms Honda Odyssey Keys, mission one : GET THOSE loving SMOKES"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah I know. If my 1050ti is good enough to run things reasonably well then I might consider upgrading everything else.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-performance-and-benchmarks-page-2

It's not great, but you'll be able to play most stuff on it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People who play assassins creed games don't particularly enjoy playing them but they will choose to play assassins creed games which is odd to me because personally if i had a choice between staring at a wall or playing every assassins creed game id just look at the wall because it would be less loving boring

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

People who play assassins creed games don't particularly enjoy playing them but they will choose to play assassins creed games which is odd to me because personally if i had a choice between staring at a wall or playing every assassins creed game id just look at the wall because it would be less loving boring

This but yakuza games instead

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

This but yakuza games instead

At least Yakuza would take less time :dance:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What if the wall had an Assassins Creed poster on it?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Staring at a screenshot of an assassin's creed game is probably more fun than playing one.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got Black Flag and have played it for 82 minutes, I have done the bit where you chase a dude like 3 times

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I got black flag for free and gave it a shot for about an hour and then laughed myself to sleep thinking that other people had spent their own money on the same experience

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I do wonder if they'll stick to the plan and set the next one in Glorious Nippon. Sushi Ghost sorta stole their thunder and did the formula better.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only people I've seen post about ghost of tsushima are the people who post about playing every new game that comes out seemingly without enjoying any of them

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They should set the next one in modern day Germany at the Nordschleife race track and call it Assassins Creed: Shift
You get up to whacky hijinks by racing other people

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ghost of Tsushima was really good. Gorgeous game with fun combat.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

AC3 to AC Syndicate was the worst period for the franchise

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The first AC hooked me on the future story, I'd obsessively follow optional conversations and terminal entries (and there was a nice string of actions you could perform between Animus excursions to gain access to some more extra lore) and have been chasing that high ever since, putting up with the poo poo this series keeps pulling because it's still, by the flimsiest of threads, continuing the same plot

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only people I've seen post about ghost of tsushima are the people who post about playing every new game that comes out seemingly without enjoying any of them

The biggest fault with it was that there's little variety to what you do in the game but I found those things to be generally really fun so that's ok. Doesn't hurt that you're playing a gorgeous Kurosawa movie.
I actually feel pretty much the same way with Maneater and Cyberpunk.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

The first AC hooked me on the future story, I'd obsessively follow optional conversations and terminal entries (and there was a nice string of actions you could perform between Animus excursions to gain access to some more extra lore) and have been chasing that high ever since, putting up with the poo poo this series keeps pulling because it's still, by the flimsiest of threads, continuing the same plot

The future/modern day story of assassins creed is the worst reason to play assassins creed

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Lodin posted:

The biggest fault with it was that there's little variety to what you do in the game but I found those things to be generally really fun so that's ok. Doesn't hurt that you're playing a gorgeous Kurosawa movie.
I actually feel pretty much the same way with Maneater and Cyberpunk.

maneater captured something deep inside of me, some carnal pure need that i had to be a shark

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fridge corn posted:

The future/modern day story of assassins creed is the worst reason to play assassins creed

yeah that's pretty hosed up

it's not that the ancient world plots are perfect or anything but the interruption to find out that some other rear end in a top hat is playing your video game is not helpful

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ratchet and Clank the Movie game is so much worse than the actual entries. Its easily the worst in the whole series, the characters have become boring and the combat has become mushy and unsatisfying. Nice graphics though.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Can't get off the runway because I keep braking immediately after accelerating since I don't know how to accelerate without flooring it

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Is this air traffic control? Promise me you won't freak out but the planes in a ditch

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I wish there was a chill flying game where I can do trench runs in canyons if I want

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Space Kablooey posted:

I wish there was a chill flying game where I can do trench runs in canyons if I want

This has been done and it was very fun to young me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Odyssey

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Crimson skies ruled. Agreed

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ruffian Price posted:

That's the exact opposite of me, I've always been confused and bored by those segments. Seems really shoe horned, why not just let me play as an assassin or pirate or warrior or viking I feel like that should be enough in its own? Well, that's definitely an unpopular opinion so congrats

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm really glad that the new AC is about Vikings. There definitely isn't enough vaguely Nordic high fantasy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm really glad that the new AC is about Vikings. There definitely isn't enough vaguely Nordic high fantasy.

Still one of the better settings. Vikings are loving cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

Ratchet and Clank the Movie game is so much worse than the actual entries. Its easily the worst in the whole series, the characters have become boring and the combat has become mushy and unsatisfying. Nice graphics though.

It's amazingly awful, as a huge fan of the series I've completely lost faith in the next game being good

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

This has been done and it was very fun to young me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Odyssey

PS2 exclusive, though :(

itry posted:

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020?

I think it's a bit way too expensive for me...

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 2, 2021

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Expeditions: Viking is probably my favourite game in the genre because it tries as best it can to be realistic. It's an isometric turn based RPG where you play the new jarl of some lovely little village. Turns out your dad wasted all the money and valuables on attempts to sail to England and all he got for it was a brutal death. In your infinite wisdom as new leader the only future for your clan is obviously to scrounge up enough resources, a new longboat and plenty of men and women and sail to England.
Around a third the game is actually spent on this before you finally get to rape and plunder. Alternately you can also be a trader or mercenary.
Oh and when I say it's realistic, it's not really since there's magic, but it's based on peoples faith in the Norse gods. Then when you finally get to England you meet monks and knights with equally powerfull Jesus magic.
The whole thing is pretty drat impressive for such a budget title and it's sad it never got more attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HGiyLJfOuo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I got to try Octopath Traveler since it's on game pass.

It is so incredibly boring as a game and as a narrative that I can't believe it got as popular as it did. It offers less variety and complexity than the 25-year-old games it is aping.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
octopath traveler has the problem that honestly a lot of games have, which is that enemies have 10-100x more HP than they "should" have, so it artificially inflates encounters in a really boring way. does a midgame boss need 250,000 hp in a game where your natural cap is 9999? hell no!

final fantasy 9 was the last jrpg ever made with sane enemy HP totals. the only modern game that has any right to have monsters with 1 billion hit points is disgaea, because it's also the only game where your normal attacks do 1 billion damage

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Manager Hoyden posted:

I got to try Octopath Traveler since it's on game pass.

It is so incredibly boring as a game and as a narrative that I can't believe it got as popular as it did. It offers less variety and complexity than the 25-year-old games it is aping.

Yeah bought it new because everyone was saying it's great. Amazingly cookie cutter uninspired poo poo. I can't believe they were selling it for $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Also it does that terrible thing where the speaker says a short unrelated phrase out loud at the start of every line of dialog

There has to be an industry term for that