Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

alright i'm looking to buy a central air conditioning system for my house, what brands are good or should be avoided? i dont think we need a high efficiency unit because we live in the PNW and will only use it for 3-4 months of the year

It's really more about the quality of the install. Some brands have bad reputations mainly because they're a bit cheaper, so builders looking to save a few bucks install them, and because they're intent of saving a few MORE bucks they do a quicker, shoddier job.

Going to a two-stage system helped a lot in getting our humidity under control, which also massively improved the quality of the results. A unit that cools quickly but doesn't adequately dehumidify will continually short-cycle, leaving the place dank. Hypothetically a fully variable comoreswor would be even better, but I've heard the control boards have a tendency to fail and that can be expensive.

So I'd say, in broad strokes, get a two-stage setup by a reputable installer who offers warranty on parts AND labor on their installs. This was about 10k-11k in my area, but we live in different regions, my job was a replacement instead of a fresh install, and it wasn't during a global pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Echoing everything tetrapyloctomy said. Goodman is a brand that in particular has had a rough reputation, but it's because they'll literally sell any part to anyone, no validation of any kind required. The pro to this is that the parts are cheaper and easier to get by you as a homeowner in the future if you need to replace something that you don't feel like paying a company to fix. The con is that a lot of these systems get installed badly and people blame the system instead of the installer.

I paid right at $14k at the end of last summer to get a ~20 year old 3.5 ton system replaced with a new Goodman 18 SEER 4 ton two-stage system. Granted, I live in AZ so efficiency gains will pay off fast but I would still greatly prefer a two-stage system now that I've experienced it. It can run longer at low loads to keep temperatures stable. When the thermostat drops a few degrees at the end of peak usage, it cools the house down quick. The only negative is that - as they pointed out when sizing the system - that house only has a single 20x25 return and that filter makes a racket when the second stage kicks in. If I was staying there I'd get a second return ducted in.

My new-to-me house is likewise on a 20 year old heat pump and I'm going to get it replaced with another two-stage system, except this time I'm not waiting for the outside unit's coil to explode on a 105 degree day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
we have is a single stage blower for my furnace so would a two stage still work with that? humidity is not really a problem here and its its really not toooo hot here--we only have 90+ weather for maybe 5 days per summer

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm about to have my roof looked at for repair/replacement. A storm blew through a couple weeks ago and left about a dozen or so shingles loose and hanging. I'm hoping that coupled with how rough it looks, I can try and put an insurance claim in.

This is my first go with this sort of this, what's a good order of operations? Should I have a roofer look at it first and then come up with a quote and go to insurance or should I file claim with insurance first?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

couldcareless posted:

I'm about to have my roof looked at for repair/replacement. A storm blew through a couple weeks ago and left about a dozen or so shingles loose and hanging. I'm hoping that coupled with how rough it looks, I can try and put an insurance claim in.

This is my first go with this sort of this, what's a good order of operations? Should I have a roofer look at it first and then come up with a quote and go to insurance or should I file claim with insurance first?

Have them look at it first. You're no expert so it's reasonable to have delayed a week or so to have an expert look at it. Also figure out how old it is and if your policy depreciates the payout. If it's 25 years old on 30 year shingles do you want to have them pay you 16% less your deductible?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

punissuer posted:

Exciting project coming my way with the fixer-upper I bought. My wife has mapped out the interior renovations with an architect but I am laser focused on this crumbling dock sited on a small brook which leads out to the sound.

What do you all think is the first step to shoring this up a bit? Is it a case of using a temporary post to support the floating/angled walkway posts while I fashion a new 4x4 post like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4L5ct9vzCU
In your situation, you really do want a floating dock. Not sure how often and how much the water varies, but typically the problem with a fixed river/stream dock is the water height is either too deep or too shallow. When the water gets too deep and your dock goes under--your dock is now a raft that is trying, with all its wood, to float to the surface.

Which is why hand banging the posts isn't typically the best solution with a dock--you don't get the posts very deep and the wood tends to get damaged. To sink your dock posts, check and see how much it is to rent a Rhino PD-140 for a week. The Rhino hammer isn't going to be too bad--it is the diesel compressor that costs more to rent. (And you'll need to rent a long enough hose too.) Driving 4x6's or 6x6's takes some serious equipment, typically a barge with a crane of some sort to handle getting the post straight and the driver on top of the post. What you can do is cluster your 4x4's together--driving a bundle of four staggered 4x4's. But you won't need anything beefier than a 4x4 unless you want to do a roof.

You can use 4x4's on the corners no problem. Just drive a 4x4's (or 2x4 will work) diagonally to give lateral support. You're going to want several diagonals going different directions to give you front, back, left, and right stability.

edit: Another method is the pressure washer method--use PVC and a pressure washer to blow out a hole, slide the post into the PVC, pull out the PVC and let the mud refill the area with the PVC gone. Method works great to repair a post and in clam water. But the biggest issue is you are disturbing the area where the post sits, which means your not going to be in firm ground.

A Rhino hammer at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLgI1XgTO3w

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 31, 2021

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sell that nasty dock wood to some upcyclers and build a functional dock w the profits

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

H110Hawk posted:

Have them look at it first. You're no expert so it's reasonable to have delayed a week or so to have an expert look at it. Also figure out how old it is and if your policy depreciates the payout. If it's 25 years old on 30 year shingles do you want to have them pay you 16% less your deductible?

Yeah, and also verify that putting in the claim won't raise the premium either, since the prorated payout less the deductible plus premium increase over X years, may be worse than just paying out of pocket for it now.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm brainstorming a backyard patio for this summer, but I've got a couple old fuel oil pipes that are in the way. They are right up against the house, and go into the ground then into the foundation. (ngl I had to review my home inspection today to reassure myself I probably didn't have a hidden environmental disaster in the yard somewhere, inspector thinks the tank used to be in the basement.) They've been capped off and from inside the basement it looks like the lines have been filled with concrete. Do I call a plumber to have them removed outside or do I need to find a fuel oil supplier to come do it? I'm perfectly capable of digging a hole and cutting them off with a sawzall myself but I don't know that I can assume there's not a bit of oil left in there that could leak out?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Do I call a plumber to have them removed outside or do I need to find a fuel oil supplier to come do it? I'm perfectly capable of digging a hole and cutting them off with a sawzall myself but I don't know that I can assume there's not a bit of oil left in there that could leak out?

It sounds like you can easily dig down and get rid of them. The best approach might be to dig around them, chip around where the pipe enters the foundation (assuming poured concrete), and wiggle the pipes out. Then, you can fill the holes with mortar. No need to worry about what could only be a few ounces of old oil.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

B-Nasty posted:

It sounds like you can easily dig down and get rid of them. The best approach might be to dig around them, chip around where the pipe enters the foundation (assuming poured concrete), and wiggle the pipes out. Then, you can fill the holes with mortar. No need to worry about what could only be a few ounces of old oil.

I have a cinderblock foundation. Is just cutting it flush with the wall and slathering on some kind of waterproofing material too half-assed?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sirotan posted:

I have a cinderblock foundation. Is just cutting it flush with the wall and slathering on some kind of waterproofing material too half-assed?

You have a cinderblock foundation with a hole in it already for that pipe. You may be able to just free the pipe without cutting it, but you'll need to see what it looks like where it goes in.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

armorer posted:

You have a cinderblock foundation with a hole in it already for that pipe. You may be able to just free the pipe without cutting it, but you'll need to see what it looks like where it goes in.

Hmm, this is true. I hadn't really thought of it as the pipe just kind of sitting there. Guess I'll find out in a couple months (assuming I do decide to put in a patio this year).

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
If you do decide to cut the pipe and are worried about spillage, dig a little extra underneath and pour some kitty litter or other absorbent. Though if they did the job properly when they abandoned the pipes in place, there should be nothing but cement inside.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Sirotan posted:

If the pipe is filled with concrete--going to be tough to cut through it without digging more than you think. Cutting it flush means cutting all the way around the pipe and then getting a good snap on the concrete inside using a chisel and hammer.

Busting the pipe through the wall and patching the cinder block is going to be easier for a DIYer and require less expensive tools. And the pipe will be gone.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
We're in the market for a new fridge for our new place; some Renovation contractors recommended Subzero fridges since this is our 'forever fridge.' putting aside that I don't think fridges last forever anymore, I checked out the brand and prices are insane. What makes a fridge worth 20k? Is it just designer branding?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

We're in the market for a new fridge for our new place; some Renovation contractors recommended Subzero fridges since this is our 'forever fridge.' putting aside that I don't think fridges last forever anymore, I checked out the brand and prices are insane. What makes a fridge worth 20k? Is it just designer branding?

They're basically commercial fridges. The fridge and freezer don't share a compressor (or much of anything), they seal REALLY well (negative pressure when you close the door) but on a day to day basis I find them quite annoying to use. If you want through the door ice/water it looks like something from the late 80s.

No doubt they are built very well and keep food fresher. But between the cost and usability concerns I've crossed them off my list.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Subzero is considered the Mercedes of refrigerators. There is a large brand quality to them, and they are indeed built really well. They also have some form of technology that helps produce lasts a bit longer, but besides that it's just a really large brand refrigerator. Note that there are people who buy these refrigerators and have them break on them; they may be more reliable but as always refrigerators do break.

When considering my remodel I didn't really think Subzero was worth it. The range is a different story due to BTUs/oven, but ultimately I settled with a standard refrigerator from Fisher Paykel.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Sub Zero fridges are also common because you can get custom panels to match and perfectly blend into your high end cabinetry. I know some other manufacturers have stated offering premium lines that have this feature, but if you're going to pay 2-3x what a standard fridge costs (7K+), you're not going to impress your friends with a KitchenAid.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Being commercial in origin they’re historically louder than residential. Fine if your house is 10k sq ft and your bedroom is in a different wing from the kitchen.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

Sub Zero fridges are also common because you can get custom panels to match and perfectly blend into your high end cabinetry. I know some other manufacturers have stated offering premium lines that have this feature, but if you're going to pay 2-3x what a standard fridge costs (7K+), you're not going to impress your friends with a KitchenAid.

Lol this is extremely common in Scandinavia, to the point where even Ikea sells fridges you can customize the cabinetry on.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you’re looking at Subzero also consider True. They look pretty good.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
“Hey honey, I ordered these lights from a deal I found can you just string them over the patio?”

“....”

Ok first, please consult me on something like this before you order. Second, have you met me, woman? I’m not gonna half rear end it. Concrete-embedded post, 3/16” galvanized wire to support it, and replaced the flap cover for the existing outlet with an in-use box. Next up are a bird feeder and hummingbird feeder to mount on it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks, that was very informative. We are definitely not looking to spend 10k on a fridge and did not budget for that, but I figured I'd see if there's something that makes it worth keeping in mind and reconsidering. They do look nice, though. I think they lasted 30 years or something there could be a cost benefit to it, eventually.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I’m not gonna half rear end it. Concrete-embedded post, 3/16” galvanized wire to support it

As we look towards being able to have people over again this totally looks like something I'll be doing very soon.

Also, what light string do you have and what yo do think of it? I dunno if there is any quality to get there or you just buy whatever and replace as necessary.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 4, 2021

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

PageMaster posted:

Not a good argumnent for your situation, but at some price points in some areas it can be hard to sell your house without a Subzero. I am not in this price point in my area, but for the same price as my house my friend in Minnesota cannot find a single listing without one.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Not a good argumnent for your situation, but at some price points in some areas it can be hard to sell your house without a Subzero. I am not in this price point in my area, but for the same price as my house my friend in Minnesota cannot find a single listing without one.

Not important to us (at least right now) since we don't plan on leaving, but this explains why so many listings around here list their fridge details on redfin...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

As we look towards being able to have people over again this totally looks like something I'll be doing very soon.

Also, what light string do you have and what yo do think of it? I dunno if there is any quality to get there or you just buy whatever and replace as necessary.

I would just get whatever LED thing is around. It's kinda like christmas lights. Make sure there's a fuse in there and who cares.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I would just get whatever LED thing is around. It's kinda like christmas lights. Make sure there's a fuse in there and who cares.

I agree and disagree......I've been through a few strings of outdoor christmas lights because they're not all the same. I only got a season out of some of them that I put on a big tree outside. I'm hoping the latest are good because I have a hell of a goddamn 60 foot tree to be stringing up and have things fail. If somebody has a good line on something that is decent quality and still available I'll be on it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I agree and disagree......I've been through a few strings of outdoor christmas lights because they're not all the same. I only got a season out of some of them that I put on a big tree outside. I'm hoping the latest are good because I have a hell of a goddamn 60 foot tree to be stringing up and have things fail. If somebody has a good line on something that is decent quality and still available I'll be on it.

We have all matching Philips led strings. 4 years running. They're a good brightness and no 60hz hum. Stay off wish /alibaba and be willing to return things that are janky as defective immediately. You kind of get a feel for it. We also don't get weather worth mentioning but they do get rained on.

60ft sounds insane. We only ever did a 25-30ft tree. Basically single strings straight up with a utility extension pole of some kind. (I don't have it, this was as a child. It was yellow/red and marked with inches.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

60ft sounds insane

It is.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

devmd01 posted:

“Hey honey, I ordered these lights from a deal I found can you just string them over the patio?”

“....”

Ok first, please consult me on something like this before you order. Second, have you met me, woman? I’m not gonna half rear end it. Concrete-embedded post, 3/16” galvanized wire to support it, and replaced the flap cover for the existing outlet with an in-use box. Next up are a bird feeder and hummingbird feeder to mount on it.

kawaii

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Post pictures. Make sure you keep the camera on a tether so you can give us amazing shots when you're falling to your death dangling from fall arrest.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Man I'd take that as a good reason to stay away from areas like that. Holy poo poo I can just imagine the kind of people living there.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

B-Nasty posted:

They have these weird slider clips that you can glue onto any fridge door and hide them behind a matching cabinet.
Although I've never thought that camouflage fridges were somehow more interesting or better than an obvious fridge in a kitchen that was otherwise the same.
(Honestly it's gotta be worse assuming you have people over, same as hidden bin drawers.)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

devmd01 posted:

“....”

Needs two more poles so you can have a pentagram of lights and summon a Demon of Righteous BBQs

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Motronic posted:

Those look real similar to the Feit lights at Costco that are regularly on sale

We hung a set of them around the pergola a year ago and they are still kicking. You can also see the ones in the background that have the cute little shades over top, we got those as they were being discontinued from Bed Bath and Beyond like 7 years ago and they sat in a closet until last summer when I finally got an electrician out to wire up the backyard with some outlets for us. They are lovely incandescent and I need to go through and twist them around the cable a bit, but they are still trucking even through all the lovely storms and hurricanes we had this past year plus the super bad freeze.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man I wish they sold Feit up here in Canada. There was these smokey grey lights I wanted for my kitchen and they are nowhere here. I could have em shipped to the border then pay someone to bring em across but that's an extra $30 on top of those bulbs. Yeah, it'd cost more to even drive down to Grand Forks... but I wouldn't be just going for bulbs.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Man I'd take that as a good reason to stay away from areas like that. Holy poo poo I can just imagine the kind of people living there.

Definitely not the richest area, more your standards two income white collar family area with 2000sf homes (though this is more a statement of cost of San Diego more than anything else), but a house we lost out on listed 70k subzero/wolf kitchen in their listing and sold for 75k over asking so I guess they got their money back. This was also before the pandemic craziness so I shudder to think what it would have done for their sale today.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think it's more of a signaling thing about the quality of the rest of your house than it is about the owners. If you are willing to drop stupid money on a fridge you probably did a high-quality overall renovation. If you cheaped out on your fridge, maybe you also hired poo poo contractors to save money and they ran plumbing in an exterior wall that is going to burst on you next winter. Or you are just a normal person and didn't want to spend $15k on a fridge...