Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is it just me or is there a few requests from the Dango girl that just don't give anything? Like specifically the kind that send you on a high rank hunt in the hub. Is it just for the specific benefit of giving you some extra 2 monster quests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The heavy slam out of wild swings now buffs how much your sword gauge fills up. It's nice but power phials still take forever to fill up even with the buff. Other phiaks fill up much faster, as has been said. Poison phials are actually pretty good in early game.

What SA did get though is new morphing attacks that hit pretty hard. And a new skill that speeds up morph attacks. Makes it viable to actually constantly use those morph attacks and actually use the switch aspect of the switch axe now. Its a lot of fun!
In addition I think the axe mode gets the sword mode amp'd state too? Explosion city.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rascyc posted:

In addition I think the axe mode gets the sword mode amp'd state too? Explosion city.

It does indeed. And can confirm that Rapid Morph 3 is very silly and cool

idk how powerful it is, exactly, and I'm not sure I'm using the 'right' morph attacks either, but it's fun

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Most unblockables were from elder dragons sooo. I think khezu and basarios farts were unblockable in past game. Haven't tried blocking those in rise tho.

What got me curious is that you can block Narwa's giant ground-exploding laser beam and that seems like something you shouldn't.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Oxyclean posted:

Is it just me or is there a few requests from the Dango girl that just don't give anything? Like specifically the kind that send you on a high rank hunt in the hub. Is it just for the specific benefit of giving you some extra 2 monster quests?

Pretty sure some of them upgrade existing items. One of the quests upgrades Dango Medic from Lo to High, for example.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Didn't they change elemental damage so it's affected by motion values, to try to make slower elemental weapons still worthwhile?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Didn't they change elemental damage so it's affected by motion values, to try to make slower elemental weapons still worthwhile?
As far as I can tell, it still doesn't take motion values into the formula for most elemental weapons. (Though I did mess up earlier since it also appears that it's a straight decimal mod for part weakness, so 40 = 0.4 multiplier.)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
shoutouts to the dual blades user who hopped on this mizutsune, promptly mashed the Y button too far away from any walls, got knocked off it and then was immediately lasered into their third death

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there a list of all possible awards floating around yet? I'm guessing collecting all the notes and possibly getting crowns are there but I'm curious as to what else is there. takes photos of everything?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bleck posted:

shoutouts to the dual blades user who hopped on this mizutsune, promptly mashed the Y button too far away from any walls, got knocked off it and then was immediately lasered into their third death

i haven't carted from it yet (or 3rd-carted, big oof) but I have mistakenly hit Y instead of X on a ride so many times :cry:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

I really hope so cus my brain loves making as many weapons as possible, and being able to make a weapon for each element is very fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

i haven't carted from it yet (or 3rd-carted, big oof) but I have mistakenly hit Y instead of X on a ride so many times :cry:

The worst are the rock droppings or other “walls” near the edge of maps that don’t actually count as wall so I’ll ride something, try to slam it against it, then just skid along the edge until they fall and get wired to the ground.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The worst are the rock droppings or other “walls” near the edge of maps that don’t actually count as wall so I’ll ride something, try to slam it against it, then just skid along the edge until they fall and get wired to the ground.

doing that marked the very first time i went to the Stickers menu, so I could find the "Sorry..." one

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Anyone poked at arena quests much yet? I've spent more time than I care to admit on them solo and have yet to hit an S rank. I'm not sure if its supposed to be easier to hit if you duo them or not.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bann posted:

Anyone poked at arena quests much yet? I've spent more time than I care to admit on them solo and have yet to hit an S rank. I'm not sure if its supposed to be easier to hit if you duo them or not.

Im almost positive its just based on clear time so its faster duo

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a list of all possible awards floating around yet? I'm guessing collecting all the notes and possibly getting crowns are there but I'm curious as to what else is there. takes photos of everything?
Not seen a complete list, but there's ones I've seen for:

-Great Wirebugs
-Camp unlocking
-Palamute gear unlocking
-Cohoot outfit unlocking
-Switch Skill unlocking
-Riding monsters 100 times
-Doing 100 wiredashes
-Sending out the meowcenaries 100 times
-Doing 50 quests in the Shrine Ruins (and probably one each for the other 4 areas)
-Having a lot of points
-Having a lot of money
-Talk to everyone in the village, including the weirdo who lives in your house
-And three awards for taking photos of all endemic life

I'm sure there's one for crowns too, but uh, if anyone's grinded enough to get that, they're not saying.

AnEndcat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 2, 2021

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bann posted:

I've been soloing them cause I haven't figured out how to do them in groups :X

Do you have to create a lobby? I'm too used to join request I think, or maybe I haven't unlocked something

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't been able to get the Kamura Village music out of my head for days and hell, I don't know if I want to

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
wtf I can't use "SA" in my own loadout name because its inappropriate?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

give it the full name Swagaxe, as it deserves

(that's really weird, though)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

It wouldn't let me name my palico "Mona" for some reason, I had to go with the full Morgana to keep my dumb Persona reference

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So about long sword and tripping in multiplayer: how the hell do you NOT end up hitting another hunter against monsters with small footprints? Having a real bad time with this, even with Goss Harag (when they're standing vertical anyway)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

So about long sword and tripping in multiplayer: how the hell do you NOT end up hitting another hunter against monsters with small footprints? Having a real bad time with this, even with Goss Harag (when they're standing vertical anyway)
that one's easy;

you don't

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ciaphas posted:

Honestly there's not much you can do about it. There's a good reason why flinch free is now a level 1 deco.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

This giant goo spider kicks rear end.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, at a certain point it's up to the other players to carry Flinch Free. You can pretty much always carry at least the first point once you get access to charm melding. For bigger monsters a lot of players have the impulse to go bash face on a monster trip - if I'm running a cutting weapon I usually leave that to the blunt damage folks like horns and hammers while I go work on chopping tails.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

TaurusOxford posted:

Honestly there's not much you can do about it. There's a good reason why flinch free is now a level 1 deco.

However there's not a good reason for it to be locked away for a significant portion of high rank. I recommend making a talisman for flinch free, it's somewhat unlikely but at least it's a reasonable early option before you get fully settled.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

Same thing in world. So i gotta name all my equip loadouts SWAX instead

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Long Sword weapon workshop's out. the side-by-side of Quick Sheath at 23m is incredibly stark :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jscDTUOHdw&t=1380s

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm late to the thread on this one but to the person talking poo poo about Hunting Horn: It's a good thing there's more HH players around it means more free buffs for you and the other hunters. Also Sick Beats.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Rajang is immune to 3 elements which is very rude when you bring one of those three elements to fight him.

I usually use Hammer element. He hates that.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Does Shrapnel Shot cause flinch? Which of the ammo types do? Does ammo level make a difference in flinching other players?

Would like to be a good neighbor in multi, but also would like to go ham with rpf shrapnel.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

This game did it. I'm a gunlance main now. I feel like I'm cheating my my long time partner, Lance

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gunlance is just cooler Lance so it's okay.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I really hope so cus my brain loves making as many weapons as possible, and being able to make a weapon for each element is very fun.

Hogama posted:

As far as I can tell, it still doesn't take motion values into the formula for most elemental weapons. (Though I did mess up earlier since it also appears that it's a straight decimal mod for part weakness, so 40 = 0.4 multiplier.)

Huh, okay. I really wish the game would explain this stuff!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the jumping SAED silkbind switch skill for CB is actually really good. You can go into SAED from sword and shield stance instantly, even directly after charging. makes it a ton easier to play the SAED spam style against faster monsters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Returning to separate capture/carve reward sucks. I need 4 Anji nosebones, and despite smashing him in the face a ton, I'm not getting any, and randos keep capping him.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
From the way you guys talked about rage slash I assumed I could basically just full charge it and not have to deal with doing two charged/cancelled attacks first but it just seems like a weaker true charge attack that you can aim, the aiming part is cool but I thought it would be a bit better

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Returning to separate capture/carve reward sucks. I need 4 Anji nosebones, and despite smashing him in the face a ton, I'm not getting any, and randos keep capping him.

Yeah I am kind of bummed out about it too. Gotta actually look up now which to do based on whatever part I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Anyone else messed around much with Charge Switch: Courage? I've been trying out for the past few hunts and it's really hard for me to gauge how effective it is. Definitely a very different playstyle from Strength, but I feel like Strength might just be better overall. A single Charged Brutal Big Bang does about 70% of the damage of the full Courage Combo but it's far easier to land and build up to. Might just be I'm just better at the old hit & run Hammer style due to thousands of hours of previous gameplay. Thoughts?