Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Judakel posted:

who cares if the new gods are jack kirby as gently caress. snyder would turn it into some weird jesus horseshit or wb will turn it into mcu horseshit

good thing Snyder wasn't directing it then??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DoubleDonut posted:

people think that you can’t do intelligent action after years of horribly shot “action” films that just lean on cg and super fast cuts to obscure everything

they also thought this before action movies mostly died but I wanted to complain about that too

LTTP but Mad Max Fury Road was the last really great western action movie.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

good thing Snyder wasn't directing it then??

"Would"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fury Road was so loving boring

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

Wrongo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

reported

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

indigi posted:

Fite me irl

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

indigi posted:

source your dnd quotes

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

thatfuturekid posted:

What are some good, lesser known British comedy shows that are easily available. I’ve been running though Blacks Books, Peep Show and now Back (another Mitchell and Webb show).

Brass Eye and The Day Today are the best satirical series ever made. even 25 years back Chris Morris understood perfectly why news media is a rotten disgusting place filled with the biggest idiots out there

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I have read all the SMG posts in the star wars spoiler thread and awakened to the the truth that Jakuu and Tatooine are the same place, Vader was just using magnets and Leia's resistance are space Aum Shinrikyo

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I have read all the SMG posts in the star wars spoiler thread and awakened to the the truth that Jakuu and Tatooine are the same place, Vader was just using magnets and Leia's resistance are space Aum Shinrikyo

Shoko Asahara was a Force user, so it tracks

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Aha! A brilliant observation! And it references the fact that the Emperor requires all imperial officers to line the insides of their throat with metal! I mean, I thought it was stupid when that was first brought up in the Dru Kuntz novels, but it makes so much sense now!

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Apr 2, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Leia's resistance are space Aum Shinrikyo

drat straight

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean Jakku is super obviously meant to be Tatooine with the serial numbers filed off

The real funny thing is how absolutely pathetic the Resistance are in their actual depiction and how it lends itself to the idea that Leia's trying to start a war but no one's showing up

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mrgracemugabe/status/1377739636823351296?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i finished pachinko and the denouement on hansu was disappointing but not in the way i was expecting lee doesnt actually get into how hes a bad person she just has him beat the poo poo out of a hostess in a rather uncharacteristic way and describes him exactly once as a yakuza boss rather than as a generic gangster slash business person almost as if shes realizing shes done a very unconvincing job justifying the negative opinions everyone has of his life choices

the third part of the book is by far the weirdest one because its basically this oft referenced scene from dewey cox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLhtdDVqzg&t=103s

except theyre talking about pachinko instead of reefer just endless constant references to how pachinko is a terrible way to make a living and you dont want none of this pachinko except that their pachinko related careers give the characters such incredible wealth and opportunities its a bit hard to understand why they even give a poo poo about racism at all anymore

its genuinely unclear to me whether the parallel with hansu was supposed to be deliberate because aside from that time he beat the poo poo out of the hostess we never actually see him do any violence at all and the idea that hansu made his fortune without breaking kneecaps isnt any more ridiculous than that the sympathetic characters are just friendly neighborhood pachinko dealers who are beloved and have strong community ties with all the non racists

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

LTTP but Mad Max Fury Road was the last really great western action movie.

Maybe in an alternate universe where John Wick was never made.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

indigi posted:

what

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the truck scene in Raiders is more thrilling and fun than any of the dusty bullshit happening in that paint by numbers movie

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

the truck scene in Raiders is more thrilling and fun than any of the dusty bullshit happening in that paint by numbers movie

lmao

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

I am embarrassed for u

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

indigi posted:

:aochloe:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

indigi posted:

hmmm gay

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

indigi posted:

:aochloe:

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i loved fury road, but i do think that the internet hype machine has built it up into the absolute pinnacle of action movies when i think it's merely a very very good action movie. for me, the top tiers of action movies are like:

S-tier
---
Die Hard
Aliens
The Matrix
etc.

A-tier
---
Fury Road
Terminator 2
John Wick
etc.

i watched beyond thunderdome after i watched fury road and i was surprised to see that the road battles in beyond thunderdome really hold up. the special effects are obviously a little jankier but they're shot and edited very much like the fury road battles

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

indigi posted:

I'm getting baited so hard holy poo poo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

i loved fury road, but i do think that the internet hype machine has built it up into the absolute pinnacle of action movies when i think it's merely a very very good action movie. for me, the top tiers of action movies are like:

S-tier
---
Die Hard
Aliens
The Matrix
etc.

A-tier
---
Fury Road
Terminator 2
John Wick
etc.

i watched beyond thunderdome after i watched fury road and i was surprised to see that the road battles in beyond thunderdome really hold up. the special effects are obviously a little jankier but they're shot and edited very much like the fury road battles

terminator 2 is s-tier gently caress you

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
terminator 2 is quite good but imo it's just missing that special something that aliens has

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The original is better than T2

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
nah I've rewatched fury road and it's still s-tier. There are no dull or bad parts. I don't know anything about internet hype or whatever, I just think the movie is really good.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
all of the women tagging along with furiosa are a little underwritten. when one of them dies it doesn't quite hit as hard as it should because they're not very memorable. compare that to the lovable space marines in aliens or the nebuchadnezzar crew in the matrix. of course fury road moves so fast that it's hard to slow down for character moments but it's an issue

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

StashAugustine posted:

Yup

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

StashAugustine posted:

agreed overall, but T2 is a better action movie than T1

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
t1 is slasher-horror film though. it's the same difference between alien and aliens.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tricky D posted:

t1 is slasher-horror film though.

Terminator is a tech-noir movie.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Aglet56 posted:

all of the women tagging along with furiosa are a little underwritten.

you have to properly mark off that “a little” as load-bearing

also I agree Terminator > T2

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Aglet56 posted:

terminator 2 is quite good but imo it's just missing that special something that aliens has

Nah, T2 was S tier but

StashAugustine posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

T2 has S tier action but only B tier supporting characters. everyone in Aliens was very fun or very fun to hate, T2 is like if the whole movie was just Ridley Hicks and Newt. still a very good movie but you need a Paxton or Reiser to really fill in the margins. all the T2 supports were out of the movie with little to no personality except Dyson, and he wasn’t intended to be particularly charming or lovable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

Terminator is a tech-noir movie.

one of GOAT frames of an 80s movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRBhxizY_TE