Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BisterdDave posted:

Weren't people itt criticizing Spider-Man for being friendly to police?

spider-man is a friendly police :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BisterdDave posted:

"Insufficiently hostile" might be a better way to phrase it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

FAUXTON posted:

oh the fact that you're playing as a cop explains a lot of the disco elysium hype and fandom holy poo poo

yes in all my years of posting here i can 100% say that everyone on this forum loves the boys in blue. All Cops Are Blessed imirite

loving lol. gently caress the pigs. bash the fash.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
MilSim or CopSim, pick your poison.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
MilCopSim

Where's my JAG video game

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh it's okay if you retire and just run a cop union in the game

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
blue lives matta!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Imhotep posted:

blue lives matta!

They're state workers!

With strong labor organization!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BisterdDave posted:

Again, a difference between what Disco does and Spidey saying "I love the actual NYPD, an existing real police force, and helping to fix their surveillance network. They are the Underdogs compared to the evil Convicts who have taken over, gotta take back the streets

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also spider-man: "Jefferson Davis was a good man"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
sleeping dogs inadvertently created the only realistic cop simulator, though it's still a little farfetched when his superiors berate him for arresting someone by beating them unconscious against a vending machine rather than commend him for his heroic actions in the line of duty

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
While it's true that you technically play as a police officer in Disco Elysium, you're not necessarily a cop

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Chan Marshall was way ahead of the game, I have a used guitar from 20 years ago that has a sticker that says "Cat Power is a Good Cop"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnquzrrge84

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Haha heck yeah

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Blind Rasputin posted:

I got the second hirata memory bell, and I’ll get the prayer beads from the minibosses. But I know Owl is the boss at the end for the purification ending and I do not think I’m going to do it. I don’t see how I can lol. I got the frozen tears from the divine child anyways, and I’m all set to get the homecoming ending. I guess it just miss out on an attack memory?

I found owl fight 2 to be easier than 1st one and i think its a great fun fight. Didnt mind dying to him and not relying on prosthetic.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Again, a difference between what Disco does and Spidey saying "I love the actual NYPD, an existing real police force, and helping to fix their surveillance network. They are the Underdogs compared to the evil Convicts who have taken over, gotta take back the streets

So if Spider-Man is helping the NYPD protect the citizens, it must mean he also supports police pressing their knees into innocent civilians' necks? I think anyone with half a brain can easily distinguish between good police and bad police.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Disco Elysium is to cops as Spec Ops: the Line is to soldiers, so I guess you’re kinda right?

Also yeah, Spider-Man being weirdly pro cop in the game was worthy of criticism and it shows because all the cop poo poo is fully and completely removed from Miles Morales

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Hot drat. I just beat ANOTHER lone sword ninja, and then rested, and went on to clear out all four ninjas and all the enemies around the drunkard guy and killed him on one go! It was very close after all that fighting and I was down to zero gourds but I kept lighting him on fire and baiting his slow attacks. I couldn’t believe it.

I learned two things, if I stayed on the lone shadow guy constantly he didn’t call his dogs (he almost did at one point). And, if I punished his perilous sweep with high monk it absolutely ripped his posture apart. I was so excited I totally missed the death blow and really started panicking thinking he was going to kill me, but I slowed down and got him.

https://youtu.be/XE4G5mnSJH4

I’ve been playing this game for like 30 hours now and I’m only loving it more and more. I’ll give owl2 a shot. Not hopeful. And I still have the entire divine realm to start!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Owl 2 is the first of three bosses I never did because I ran out of time before the PS5 and DeS came out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Owl 2 is the only boss I never did since the conditions for unlocking him were stupid lol
(Not counting the two mutually exclusive Shura ending bosses)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Blind Rasputin posted:

Hot drat. I just beat ANOTHER lone sword ninja, and then rested, and went on to clear out all four ninjas and all the enemies around the drunkard guy and killed him on one go! It was very close after all that fighting and I was down to zero gourds but I kept lighting him on fire and baiting his slow attacks. I couldn’t believe it.

I learned two things, if I stayed on the lone shadow guy constantly he didn’t call his dogs (he almost did at one point). And, if I punished his perilous sweep with high monk it absolutely ripped his posture apart. I was so excited I totally missed the death blow and really started panicking thinking he was going to kill me, but I slowed down and got him.

https://youtu.be/XE4G5mnSJH4

I’ve been playing this game for like 30 hours now and I’m only loving it more and more. I’ll give owl2 a shot. Not hopeful. And I still have the entire divine realm to start!

Really well done. For owl 2 it's an endurance contest, he only has a few moves and even less if you keep up the pressure. Learn the right dodge timing and distance for the nasty stuff like the firecrackers that are like a one hit kill. You'll get him. It won't be easy, but you'll do it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Disco Elysium is to cops as Spec Ops: the Line is to soldiers, so I guess you’re kinda right?

Also yeah, Spider-Man being weirdly pro cop in the game was worthy of criticism and it shows because all the cop poo poo is fully and completely removed from Miles Morales

Really? Huh, I was certainly expecting a Zootopia moment of a cop very obviously reaching for his gun when Miles shows up in costume to stop the Daft Punk gang from tearing open an armored bank van or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

So if Spider-Man is helping the NYPD protect the citizens, it must mean he also supports police pressing their knees into innocent civilians' necks? I think anyone with half a brain can easily distinguish between good police and bad police.

superhero franchises tend to have an overly generous depiction of police that's become rapidly more uncomfortable over the last decade (and long before that for people paying attention), but spider-man went into it especially hard. it's difficult to view expanding the NYPD's surveillance network as a positive thing without totally retreating into fantasy

both the original game and miles morales shrugged off all the unsavory aspects of cops onto shadowy PMC's instead, MM just didn't give the cops themselves a tongue bath on top of it

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Really? Huh, I was certainly expecting a Zootopia moment of a cop very obviously reaching for his gun when Miles shows up in costume to stop the Daft Punk gang from tearing open an armored bank van or something.

There's a hands-up-dont-shoot scene but the role of the police is played by an unaccountable private security force, thus completely missing the point and making it worthless. Also there's a big BLM mural at the end but no mention of why anyone might feel compelled to paint one

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

infraboy posted:

Being mostly out of games to play, guess i'm picking up 13 Sentinels and the first Atelier Ryza game since their physical forms are never on sale, where to begin?

13 Sentinels is very much a point-and-click adventure game type of thing, while Ryza is extremely JRPGish. 13S will surprise you pretty regularly, and Ryza's pretty familiar at all times.

I enjoyed both, but 13 Sentinels is way more of a unique experience.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I got my first 5G implant today.

Gonna try to FINALLY beat some of Sekiro this weekend.

I got stuck on the bull last time.

I’m so bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

acksplode posted:

There's a hands-up-dont-shoot scene but the role of the police is played by an unaccountable private security force, thus completely missing the point and making it worthless. Also there's a big BLM mural at the end but no mention of why anyone might feel compelled to paint one

Miles Morales is in a very tough spot to deal with this stuff because his dead black father was NYPD so it just wouldn’t make any sense for the very young teen Miles Morales to go full ACAB

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Miles Morales is in a very tough spot to deal with this stuff because his dead black father was NYPD so it just wouldn’t make any sense for the very young teen Miles Morales to go full ACAB

If MM wants to take place in a fantasy universe where police brutality and police racism is not a pressing real-life issue, if it doesn't want to tell the story of Miles trying to reconcile his feelings with his dad's role as a cop, alright fine. It's meant to be a lighthearted comic book adventure, I get it. But then don't deploy the iconography of the BLM movement for back pats while dodging any mention of why that movement exists like Neo dodges bullets. The game doesn't even have the courage to present the lame and odious argument that not all cops are bad, it's pathetic.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yeah can’t imagine why a copson would ever be compelled to say „gently caress the police”. Cops are known for their good parenting skills

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

spider-man is a friendly police :shrug:

You know BP if you think about it monster hunters are cops. Plus in MHW they’re colonizers too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

acksplode posted:

If MM wants to take place in a fantasy universe where police brutality and police racism is not a pressing real-life issue, if it doesn't want to tell the story of Miles trying to reconcile his feelings with his dad's role as a cop, alright fine. It's meant to be a lighthearted comic book adventure, I get it. But then don't deploy the iconography of the BLM movement for back pats while dodging any mention of why that movement exists like Neo dodges bullets. The game doesn't even have the courage to present the lame and odious argument that not all cops are bad, it's pathetic.

MMs dad is good. Now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I absolutely agree with you dudes, I wish the game wasn’t afraid of just saying what it’s trying to say, but I don’t think it ruins an otherwise great game with excellent representation.

The only white character is the comically evil bad guy (and Peter, obvs) and that rules, TBH... oh I guess you hear JJJ but only see his Twitter Av

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I absolutely agree with you dudes, I wish the game wasn’t afraid of just saying what it’s trying to say, but I don’t think it ruins an otherwise great game with excellent representation.

I enjoyed it too, but we don't need to grade it on a curve. It tries to have its cake and eat it too wrt referencing BLM without pissing off blue-lives-matter types, and that sucks.

Waltzing Along posted:

MMs dad is good. Now.

Not sure what point you're making, could you elaborate

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I63jgpg7-hw

Looking forward to playing this on my Pro.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rageaholic posted:

drat. glad i got a ps5.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
How dare the cowards at Insomniac avoid mentioning how every single member of the police force is inherently evil, and we the people are the only thing left that is good in this world. I do agree though that mentioning BLM without any background as to why the movement exists in a semi-fictional world might not be the best thing. Then again, any representation helps.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

How dare the cowards at Insomniac avoid mentioning how every single member of the police force is inherently evil, and we the people are the only thing left that is good in this world.

Have you not heard the term "structural racism" before? Happy to introduce you to it. It means in a top-to-bottom racist institution like those that comprise the justice system, the motivations and intentions of individuals within it don't matter. Officer Jefferson Davis seems like a really nice guy. In the real-life NYPD, under mayor Bloomberg, he would've had to make quota for street stop-and-frisks. Nice guy Officer Jefferson Davis is, regrettably, structurally, a pig. I wonder how many skulls the real-life Officer Jefferson Davis would have cracked at a real-life BLM protest last summer. ACAB

acksplode fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 2, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

I can’t wait for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ll be playing RE village in buttery smooth 60fps on my PS5. Thank You Sony and Thank You Giant Busty Vampire Lady.