Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Bucky is uncultured. Even Baron Zemo appreciates Marvin Gaye! Wasn't expecting to ever hear that character say the word "pimp" though.

Ears perked at Madripoor of course. Even if I only tangentially recognize it as a fictional Marvel place. And something about the X-Men?

I didn't find it weird or lame. It does hinge on characters being stupid, which is not my favorite plot, but I like the places it went. In general Zemo was one of the "I'm glad he didn't die" villains and sure enough he's great in this next appearance. I think what I most appreciate about this series is it's actually doing a solid job following up on Civil War. Sure parts of it are smoothed over, but I'm glad they didn't completely drop it after Thanos. From John to Isaiah to Sharon, the whole thing is about what it means to be Captain America and if we even really need one in 2021.

That ending. Uh. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The show isn't about 'what it means to be Captain America', that's just a minor facet. It's about displaced people.

It's about ten times more interesting when it actually explores these plights and the drama inherit in them than when it has two characters sit plainly and explain to the audience that symbols have meaning. Which is a conversation that wouldn't even pass muster for an after school special.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You can tell me the show isn't about Walker, Sam, Bucky, and Freckles living with the weight of having some but not all components of Steve if you want. But it's clearly not a "minor" part of the show. That conflict is like...central to Sam and Bucky's relationship to each other. I do not mean just Bucky saying "That shield means a lot of things to a lot of people." or what have you.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
I don’t know what Zemo’s deal in the comics is but in the MCU I guess he’s Sokovian Bruce Wayne now?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jagermonster posted:

I don’t know what Zemo’s deal in the comics is but in the MCU I guess he’s Sokovian Bruce Wayne now?

It is a bit ironic on his part though. Royalty isn't exactly known for getting to that point in life without stepping on a poo poo ton of people.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yo i loved this episode! Sharon just beating the poo poo out of dudes in the shipping yard was great. More bromance with Sam and Bucky with Zemo there as a spoiler is always appreciated. And then that setting loving MADRIPOOR! AND we saw the sign for the Princess Bar, I kept looking for Patch to be walking by in the background!

NGL after that part, when the next scene had LATVIA in the title card, I totally read it as LATVARIA for a second and got even more excited.

Good action this week, but I really want more of Sam's homelife and Bucky's therapy as well as exploring the changes the world's gone through.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think the only problem i had with the episode is that it did predictably go down the path of karli is a murderer now so the flag smashers will have to go

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
As far as the Flag Smashers go maybe this is my X-Men brain talking but I don't know if she's crossed the threshold of irredeemdablity yet. I do worry that it might be one of those corny "All her friends die to teach her a lesson about not being an rear end in a top hat" type things, like she's got a gang of 18 superpowered Uncle Bens. I kinda think it'd be interesting if the cute girl with the relateable motivation was the member of the extremist group to NOT be redeemed, and instead it's like one of those huge dudes who all seem pretty personable

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Karli can become Free Spirit or something.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gonna go ahead and guess we're one or two episodes out from "the new serum isn't perfect either, it makes you dangerously agressive and increasingly unhinged" allowing it to turn a lot of the nameless supers into minibosses and setting up Karli for a last moment of lucidity self sacrifice thing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

theironjef posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess we're one or two episodes out from "the new serum isn't perfect either, it makes you dangerously agressive and increasingly unhinged" allowing it to turn a lot of the nameless supers into minibosses and setting up Karli for a last moment of lucidity self sacrifice thing.

With the rider that Walker takes a dose as well (possibly Lemar as well) since that will cinch his unworthiness to be Cap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jng2058 posted:

With the rider that Walker takes a dose as well (possibly Lemar as well) since that will cinch his unworthiness to be Cap.

And then the shield drops to the ground and he's unable to lift it again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

As far as the Flag Smashers go maybe this is my X-Men brain talking but I don't know if she's crossed the threshold of irredeemdablity yet. I do worry that it might be one of those corny "All her friends die to teach her a lesson about not being an rear end in a top hat" type things, like she's got a gang of 18 superpowered Uncle Bens. I kinda think it'd be interesting if the cute girl with the relateable motivation was the member of the extremist group to NOT be redeemed, and instead it's like one of those huge dudes who all seem pretty personable

Captain America murders innocent UN employees too so Karli did nothing wrong yet!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rhyno posted:

And then the shield drops to the ground and he's unable to lift it again.

Nah, Sam will beat it out of him and walk off with it. I'm just trying to figure out how they're gonna do the mandatory skybeam.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Flag-Smashers will pivot and try to turn everyone into lizard people.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jagermonster posted:

When written well, comics Zemo is basically "shockingly down-to-earth megalomaniac."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Really missed an opportunity to have a Thunderbolts movie set during the blip.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Reading some stuff theorizing that Sharon is the power broker . I just got the feeling from the episode that she maybe worked for the power broker. Still holding out that the power broker will turn out to be D'Onofrio's Fisk. Like maybe after the snap he escaped from jail again and has been accumulating power in exile. I know it's as likely as Ralph Bohner being an actual multiverse Quicksilver but goddammit it would rule. Plus it would line up with Walker becoming Nuke which I also hope happens .

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Again, why would they have USAgent become a totally separate character who already exists and is dead?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Again, why would they have USAgent become a totally separate character who already exists and is dead?

Because it would fit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Because it would fit.

But... So would him just being USAgent. The character he literally already is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

But... So would him just being USAgent. The character he literally already is.

I'll be honest, I never liked USAgent. It's just "what if Captain America was also a huge dick" whereas Nuke is actually interesting.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Plus they killed off Simpson abruptly and strangely before he even fully became Nuke. Maybe MCU wouldn’t let them go full Nuke because they wanted to use him down the line

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'll be honest, I never liked USAgent. It's just "what if Captain America was also a huge dick" whereas Nuke is actually interesting.

Walker is much more the former here.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was just saying like a week ago I wondered when we'd see Madripoor in the MCU.
I'm enjoying the show but I think the shuffle really hurt it; it's a fun action show but coming right after the weirdness of Wandavision it feels like a downgrade

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did think it was super goofy that Zemo puts the mask on for a quick action scene and then takes it right back off.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

muscles like this! posted:

I did think it was super goofy that Zemo puts the mask on for a quick action scene and then takes it right back off.

Gotta hide that stunt double somehow

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I wonder if he'll get the sword by the end of this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

i thought so too, but maybe its just really poorly thought out visual shorthand, like every time he puts the mask on he starts getting more and more wild until the last episode where he never takes it off and is evil now

also i think making walker nuke for no reason is dumb. imo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I do like that me saying "It'd be kinda cool if John Walker became Nuke" has taken on a life of it's own.

I do think John Walker will become a full on villain by the last episode, given what they did with Agatha Harkness in WandaVision.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nuke has exactly 3 characteristics:
Weapon Plus
Cyborg
Pills

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so i was just thinking about sharon in this episode, and wondering what people were told as "the official story" with what happened to steve. like, is one of the reasons she's all gently caress patriotism now is because her almost bf went back in time and married her aunt or does she not know that part

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am so baffled by "What if US Agent is Nuke". It's like if Scott Summers showed up and people wondered if he would become The Thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eh, no one cares about Nuke but US Agent was an alternate character in Marvel vs Street Fighter so I care about him.

I can't get over the fact that Steve just left Sharon as an enemy of the state for five years running while he went back to counseling in NY. That was certainly a choice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol yeah

Actually according to endgame, she got dusted too

site fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 3, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When they're talking about Marvin Gaye.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, no one cares about Nuke but US Agent was an alternate character in Marvel vs Street Fighter so I care about him.

I can't get over the fact that Steve just left Sharon as an enemy of the state for five years running while he went back to counseling in NY. That was certainly a choice.

Weird enough that either Sharon's really working for the good guys and this is her cover, or this isn't her but a Skrull or some baddie what can do disguises real good.

I guess, maybe the point is 'even Cap was fallible', but she doesn't exactly blame him for the situation so it's not exactly driven home, and the show hasn't been subtle about stuff so far.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

SonicRulez posted:

I am so baffled by "What if US Agent is Nuke". It's like if Scott Summers showed up and people wondered if he would become The Thing.

Or Aldrich Killian showing up and wondering if he would become Fing Fang Foom

It’s an adaptation of a sprawling decades long comic book saga. Do you really expect Walker to survive the series? Are you looking forward to him existing in the MCU when this show is over?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Jagermonster posted:

It’s an adaptation of a sprawling decades long comic book saga. Do you really expect Walker to survive the series? Are you looking forward to him existing in the MCU when this show is over?

Whatever it takes to get Season 3 of Lodge 49...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jagermonster posted:

Or Aldrich Killian showing up and wondering if he would become Fing Fang Foom

Yes and also yes