Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Maybe they're going whole hog.

It's easter bonfire time (sure the rest of the country does it at midsummer) and we can't have a proper big one due to corona, so this will suffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got a new camera, the one made from wood and brass.

A Zero Image 6x9 pin hole camera. Got it for a good price second hand, going to be a fun thing to play with!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

that is unbelievably cool

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I paid for someone to do my taxes for the first time and I am very happy.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Android Apocalypse posted:

While I've never watched ATHF, trust me that this will be brightly colored.

Oh buddy have i got some future recent purchase recommendations for you.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

How much and was it worth it? I've been on the fence with this for a while and now that I've started doing investing and stocks it is becoming more attractive.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

sterster posted:

How much and was it worth it? I've been on the fence with this for a while and now that I've started doing investing and stocks it is becoming more attractive.

YMMV, but I paid $236. My 2020 taxes were pretty simple so in the grand scheme of things it wasn't really "worth it", but this year's will be less simple as I am now self-employed and the CPA firm is also doing my payroll, quarterly taxes, etc.

It was just really nice having someone else do it, knowing that it's gotta by way more accurate than if I were doing it myself. The federal and state taxes were e-filed and my local taxes could not be filed, but I had a whole packet that all I needed to do was write a check and mail it. Very nice.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I once went to an H&R block to get my taxes done and it was just a guy who used what looked like the same $40 home software i’d use myself. I don’t think he was a cpa. But i doubt I spent more than a couple hundred bucks, so I couldnt expect something more than what a monkey could have been trained to do.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ChocNitty posted:

I once went to an H&R block to get my taxes done and it was just a guy who used what looked like the same $40 home software i’d use myself. I don’t think he was a cpa. But i doubt I spent more than a couple hundred bucks, so I couldnt expect something more than what a monkey could have been trained to do.

Well on the bright side if they gently caress something up it's more on them. If that stresses you out even as you're checking all the correct boxes it can be worth it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My usual go to excuse for splurging on something is "I've spent more money on dumber poo poo". Chances are, you have too.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Hedrigall posted:

Left hand - I’m trying to find comfortable wrist positions where I’m not contorting myself too much. And my pinky finger is much shorter so reaching some of the frets with it is a struggle.

Pinky stretch/independence will come with time and exercise. I still don't do great at practicing specifics, trying play songs is how I practice because it's easier for me to get myself to just play rather than have rigid structure, and but I've been purposefully playin stuff that needs the stretch and movement and I'm gettin better at it. Also I play bass, so fretting 2 then 5 is a giant stretch.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

"I've spent more money on dumber poo poo"

Now I sort of want to pay someone to cross-stitch this onto a sampler for me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Now I sort of want to pay someone to cross-stitch this onto a sampler for me.

Ditto

Especially after I just spent 300 dollars on the Discovery/Hubble Lego set

But gently caress it I'm in lockdown for another 28 days.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

"I've spent more money on dumber poo poo".

Mods: Can we get a new thread title?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Yeah I paid for the special deluxe edition or whatever of Duke Nukem Forever that came with the mini bust of Duke so I can justify buying just about anything.
Worst part of all is that bust fell off my computer desk onto carpet and broke. It was literally the only good thing to come from DNF and it broke so easily.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Humerus posted:

Yeah I paid for the special deluxe edition or whatever of Duke Nukem Forever that came with the mini bust of Duke so I can justify buying just about anything.
Worst part of all is that bust fell off my computer desk onto carpet and broke. It was literally the only good thing to come from DNF and it broke so easily.

I was looking forward to DNF after getting a new gaming PC. I'm glad I paid <$5 or got it free, it's so bad. I just got a Switch with BoTW. It's replacing the Oculus Quest I got for Christmas. The Oculus was great, esp SuperHot, but they need to perfect it because there was blurriness and putting it on automatically got a bit of oil (hair/skin) on the lens so they were always a little dirty. Also a FB account req'd.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MA-Horus posted:

Ditto

Especially after I just spent 300 dollars on the Discovery/Hubble Lego set

But gently caress it I'm in lockdown for another 28 days.

thanks goon, I had no idea this was out and now I just had to order it, too.

But it's only $199? Shipped it came to $217.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I bought new safety glasses -- they're very nice, even if the "NoCry" brand name is awful.

I wouldn't really post about them if it weren't for the quality of the included instructions, specifically #6:

:hmmyes:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
For some reason I bought a 3 foot tall lego Evangelion

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That's :krad:.

I had a 1/6 model I got at a comics convention and while it's gone now due to a cross-country move, it was a bitchin' display item.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Matsubara Miki Pocket Park 180g reissue. Love me some city pop.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Tax returns came in, eh?

I save mine every year. This year I want to completely blow it on some nonsense that might make me happy for a few days. So something exactly like this.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can you gently caress the robot

colas
Feb 14, 2007

An Evangelion (エヴァンゲリオン) is a giant humanoid being of near-godlike power.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So that’s a yes?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yes, but you're not going to have a good time.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Warbird posted:

This is also the answer to “is it worth watching Neon Genesis Evangelion?”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Warbird posted:

Stop shop shaming.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

TotalLossBrain posted:

thanks goon, I had no idea this was out and now I just had to order it, too.

But it's only $199? Shipped it came to $217.

Canadabucks make it more expensive.

Sargon of TN
Nov 7, 2011

Megabound posted:

Got a new camera, the one made from wood and brass.

A Zero Image 6x9 pin hole camera. Got it for a good price second hand, going to be a fun thing to play with!

What's the rangefinder on the far right? It looks kind of like an old Canon P.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So that’s a yes?

no

[EVA units] are fictional Cyborg

A cyborg (/ˈsaɪbɔːrɡ/), a portmanteau of "cybernetic organism", is a being with both organic and biomechatronic body parts

it's a decent show, there's a f'n penguin in it, but those big bitches aren't actually robots, like battletech/mechwarrior mechs aren't robots but I'm probably wrong, or right because robots function on thieir own idk

colas has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Apr 3, 2021

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

New baseball season, a sale, and my birthday coming up in a few days resulted in me spending some bday money at Fanatics.

Arenado Home jersey

Red and Navy Polo shirt

combo

And a new redbirds hat.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

New baseball season, a sale, and my birthday coming up in a few days resulted in me spending some bday money at Fanatics.

Arenado Home jersey

Did you get a Rockies fan to pay for that?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I had a 1/6 model I got at a comics convention and while it's gone now due to a cross-country move, it was a bitchin' display item.

1/6 of that guys model or like

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

colas posted:

no

[EVA units] are fictional Cyborg

A cyborg (/ˈsaɪbɔːrɡ/), a portmanteau of "cybernetic organism", is a being with both organic and biomechatronic body parts

it's a decent show, there's a f'n penguin in it, but those big bitches aren't actually robots, like battletech/mechwarrior mechs aren't robots but I'm probably wrong, or right because robots function on thieir own idk

it's a sex doll brah

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sargon of TN posted:

What's the rangefinder on the far right? It looks kind of like an old Canon P.

You're almost there, Canon VL. Came out a year before the P. It was their last rangefinder model to have separate fast and slow shutter selectors.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bape Culture posted:

Can you gently caress the robot

Yes, but it turns out it's always your mom.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Freetaxusa.com—been using it for years and can’t recommend it highly enough. One of my coworkers has a friend that’s an accountant do his taxes, yet I still managed to save him 500$ just by mentioning that his 7k home insulation project should save him some money with energy tax credits on taxes. These are the kinds of things most tax preparers and accountants won’t ask you, but the free software will. It’s just enter box 1a, 2b from whatever w2 and 1090ish forms you have, and answer a few yes no type questions about things that might save you a few bucks. Only costs are 6$ if you want a live person to answer questions, and 12$ if you want them to file your state taxes.

"I've spent more money on dumber poo poo".

Here, hold my beer

*glances over at the new keezer, temperature controller, stainless steel conical fermenter with spunding valve, and 15 gallon Blichmann brew kettle*

:homebrew:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

You had a 40 foot tall statue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

My usual go to excuse for splurging on something is "I've spent more money on dumber poo poo". Chances are, you have too.

I bought two $12 pints of ice cream.