Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm in the same boat with Courage.

Strength's mobility advantage is just too good to give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I bought both charms when I unlocked HR and am so poor I'm almost done with 6 star and about to craft my first piece of HR gear, still wrecking everything in under 8 minutes though. Just found out the ship sells a refreshing set of items one for 50 points that sells for 1k and another for 500 points for 10k. This would have been helpful sitting on like 30k points.

Amiibo lottery removed the need to grind entirely during the work week with only being able to get in 1-2 hunts a night. Traps and demon drug coming out my ears, armorskin not so much, need to get berries instead of slicing ammo, maybe I can use points to get enough currency to just buy 1,000 next shop sale and be done with worrying about that.

First time playing ranged and it was a learning curve but when it clicked holy crap did it click.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

How is it that all the areas in this game are super rad? Granted I haven't made it to Lethal Lava Land yet so maybe that'll break the streak but all the other maps are really pretty and fun to traverse. First thing I did when going to Flooded Forest was go to the top of the pyramid naturally.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Just started this, and it owns. I finished Iceborne ~6 months ago and all of my muscle memory is already gone, and I have to re-learn how to use every weapon. I must be getting old.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How is it that all the areas in this game are super rad? Granted I haven't made it to Lethal Lava Land yet so maybe that'll break the streak but all the other maps are really pretty and fun to traverse. First thing I did when going to Flooded Forest was go to the top of the pyramid naturally.

I enjoy cold areas now a lot more without hot drinks, I can tell you that.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ojetor posted:

Anyone else messed around much with Charge Switch: Courage? I've been trying out for the past few hunts and it's really hard for me to gauge how effective it is. Definitely a very different playstyle from Strength, but I feel like Strength might just be better overall. A single Charged Brutal Big Bang does about 70% of the damage of the full Courage Combo but it's far easier to land and build up to. Might just be I'm just better at the old hit & run Hammer style due to thousands of hours of previous gameplay. Thoughts?

This is the first game where I've tried hammer and I used it for the entirety of LR and without looking at the way anyone else it playing it, yeah for me Strength is just way better. Monsters move so much that you've got plenty of time to charge attacks.

I thiiiiink the way it's intended to be used it to very quickly charge up for your Silkbind skills? It seems like it's meant to be paired with Dash Breaker to charge up a fully-powered counterattack where you abuse iframes to constantly slam into enemies. But, I've tried Dash Breaker for a few fights and I just don't like it nearly as much as the other skill. Maybe I'll give it another show now that I'm doing some of the easier HR monsters

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just need to do the final special village quest and I’ll be able to join everyone in high rank :toot:

Then after I get a decent high rank set I’ll go through the optional village quests on EZ mode.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I can't use my bow for poo poo in handheld. I cannot aim horizontally. I have my handheld sensitivity at 100 and it feels the same as at 10. Is something wrong with my joycons? I have two other pairs I'm going to sub in next time I play. Maybe there's an option I'm overlooking?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can't figure out why traps never show up in my item selection during hunts. I did the capture training mission. I built two of them. I put them in my radial menu. I can't figure out how to select them though. Pointing to them in the radial menu does nothing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I can't figure out why traps never show up in my item selection during hunts. I did the capture training mission. I built two of them. I put them in my radial menu. I can't figure out how to select them though. Pointing to them in the radial menu does nothing.

Are they in your item pouch? Your radial menu pulls from your pouch.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Lava land is super fun to explore. Lots of little nooks and crannies. Those sword relics are really well hidden sometimes. And tons of intersecting passageways. Bit confusing chasing monsters around that place tho

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay after trying Courage hammer mode I think I misunderstood what it did, because I'm not sure if it does anything. Like, you can't manually charge into your level 3 attack unless you switch styles to get to max, which seems incredibly bad because your level 3 charge attacks are nuts. The charge time isn't even faster, so yeah, I have no idea what courage mode even does

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I can't use my bow for poo poo in handheld. I cannot aim horizontally. I have my handheld sensitivity at 100 and it feels the same as at 10. Is something wrong with my joycons? I have two other pairs I'm going to sub in next time I play. Maybe there's an option I'm overlooking?

The horizontal aiming with gyro is steering wheel style for some reason instead of the more intuitive yaw like in Breath of the Wild

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Are they in your item pouch? Your radial menu pulls from your pouch.

That must be it. Thanks!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Friendship ended with palamute, now palico is my best friend.
https://twitter.com/Tagichatn/status/1378095006221697025?s=19

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

BlancoNino posted:

The horizontal aiming with gyro is steering wheel style for some reason instead of the more intuitive yaw like in Breath of the Wild

Oh my God why would they do this. This is so god-damned dumb. gently caress!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't play ranged much, but I found the sticks to short on my Lite for my liking. Got some stick caps to make them taller.

I know this isn't your actual issue. But having a lot more throw on the sticks helped me a lot.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Norns posted:

I don't play ranged much, but I found the sticks to short on my Lite for my liking. Got some stick caps to make them taller.

I know this isn't your actual issue. But having a lot more throw on the sticks helped me a lot.

What caps did you get? Some caps came with my Satisfye grip but they're too chunky and make it impossible to tilt the sticks to their maximum. I've been trying (very casually) to find another pair for several months.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Now that I've unlocked everything (I think) I'm really loving the deco rebalance they did. Changing the slot requirements for some skills like attack boost and critical eye is pretty cool, you really have to make some tough choices about how you want to play! And having lots of lots of utility stuff available in the single slots is great too, easier than ever to retool for specific fights if you just want to ignore a mechanic you suck at

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Returning to separate capture/carve reward sucks. I need 4 Anji nosebones, and despite smashing him in the face a ton, I'm not getting any, and randos keep capping him.

I got like 5 nosebones before I got a single plate while trying to finish off the anji set

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Thumbtacks posted:

From the way you guys talked about rage slash I assumed I could basically just full charge it and not have to deal with doing two charged/cancelled attacks first but it just seems like a weaker true charge attack that you can aim, the aiming part is cool but I thought it would be a bit better

Rage slash has a guardpoint on it so it's a lot harder for monsters to knock you out of it. If you do get hit during the guardpoint you do a shitload more damage too. It's risk vs reward.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got like 5 nosebones before I got a single plate while trying to finish off the anji set

After like 3 hunts of no nosebones, I got 4 in one go; 2 carves, 2 quest rewards. (Still no part break reward.) Was going for some KO Decos.

Also had my Palico pull a Rath ruby, great cat.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Speaking of item pouch, what's the best way to keep track of your item inventory..? I have so many items now, and I'm starting to run out of pouch space sometimes from all the foraging. It helps me to have a routine with this many items to keep track of.

I don't even know what most of them are.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's actually funny because I keep thinking "I should go do hub quests so I can start getting switch skills" but then I realize that HH kinda just enjoys all the defaults anyways so there's no real rush. The one potential change would be going for Echo Mode instead of Performance but I'm not sure I would want to lose the invuln frames on recital for switching that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

After like 3 hunts of no nosebones, I got 4 in one go; 2 carves, 2 quest rewards. (Still no part break reward.) Was going for some KO Decos.

Also had my Palico pull a Rath ruby, great cat.

👍

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Speaking of item pouch, what's the best way to keep track of your item inventory..? I have so many items now, and I'm starting to run out of pouch space sometimes from all the foraging. It helps me to have a routine with this many items to keep track of.

You don't really need to pack much with you honestly until you get to the tryhard post-game that's not really in yet. Even in 6* I'm mostly just packing potion, high potions, herbal meds, traps, and tranqs with some deoderant or Nulberry pack ins on fights where those are relevant.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Go to your box and sort everything out so it's how you like it (just what you think you need for your average hunt)

Then save that item loadout, and reload it after every hunt so you restock and clear out what you don't need.

From there, consider making specialty loadouts for particular monsters.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Set an item loadout with only the essential potions and consumables, and load it every time you get back from a hunt. It will restock your potions and deposit any extras in your bank.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mightygerm posted:

Set an item loadout with only the essential potions and consumables, and load it every time you get back from a hunt. It will restock your potions and deposit any extras in your bank.

Yep. This is what I did and it makes item management way easier

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, a loadout option. That's great

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

What caps did you get? Some caps came with my Satisfye grip but they're too chunky and make it impossible to tilt the sticks to their maximum. I've been trying (very casually) to find another pair for several months.

I got those grips. I get full range of movement with mine thankfully.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay after trying Courage hammer mode I think I misunderstood what it did, because I'm not sure if it does anything. Like, you can't manually charge into your level 3 attack unless you switch styles to get to max, which seems incredibly bad because your level 3 charge attacks are nuts. The charge time isn't even faster, so yeah, I have no idea what courage mode even does

The way Courage works is similar to Greatsword charging into True Slash. You do a charge attack, then immediately start charging again. There's three parts to this combo going from Side Blow to Upswing to Hammer Down. It's essentially a Big Bang combo that you can space out/reposition during by holding the charge between attacks. If you do the level 1 charge each attack will do a single hit, if you do level 2 charges the attacks will double hit. The last part (Hammer Down) does huge damage, particularly with the double hits, but the first two parts are very middling.

Also, level 2 Courage Charge counts as a level 3 charge for Silkbind attack purposes. From my testing with Impact Crater, it will do the double hit from a level 2 Courage charge so I assume it works the same for the other Silkbind attacks.

Yes, there's no information at all about this in-game.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Do I need to level up before I start doing hub quests or should I just jump right in? So far all I’ve crafted is the full Izuchi armor and Bone Greatsword.

Hub quests are the online ones right?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I really love what has happened to Great Sword in Rise. Between Tackle, Power Sheathe, Adamant Charged Slash, Wirebug fall break, and Rage Slash, I am constantly glued to a monster's butthole and dropping level 3 charges over and over and over.
It's super fun zipping around the field, doubly so considering like basically everything I do has superarmour and I'm just blasting through every single monster attack.

It genuinely makes me wish I could bring my palico to multiplayer hunts because mine has Summeown Endemic Life which keeps me topped up with a 3rd wirebug most of the time.

The hunter voices in this game have grown on me to a ridiculous degree. I thought I would hate them, but sometimes when I sharpen, my hunter goes "gotta stay sharp! ha ha" and it cracks me up. Or when Arzuros does a claw swipe and someone else's hunter full-throated screams into my ear "GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE WAAAAAAYYYYYY".

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

I really love what has happened to Great Sword in Rise. Between Tackle, Power Sheathe, Adamant Charged Slash, Wirebug fall break, and Rage Slash, I am constantly glued to a monster's butthole and dropping level 3 charges over and over and over.
It's super fun zipping around the field, doubly so considering like basically everything I do has superarmour and I'm just blasting through every single monster attack.

I've seen a writeup like this about pretty much every weapon at this point. And hell, I'm glad.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

RuBisCO posted:

It genuinely makes me wish I could bring my palico to multiplayer hunts because mine has Summeown Endemic Life which keeps me topped up with a 3rd wirebug most of the time.

You can! Just switch the palico you want into the first buddy slot, and they'll be with you when you're on a hunt or even just in the lobby.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I picked voice 6 and for my dude and he's got this pretentious scholar vibe and it's hilarious. I'll start carving and he'll be like "Don't mind my impudence!". And sometimes when I gather rarer stuff he's just like "exCUSE me". I kinda love it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

parasyte posted:

You can! Just switch the palico you want into the first buddy slot, and they'll be with you when you're on a hunt or even just in the lobby.

Right! But the lack of my dog pal carting me around the map makes everything so much slower :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

Right! But the lack of my dog pal carting me around the map makes everything so much slower :(

Between the fat wirebug spots and being able to go over areas with wirebug you can't on the dog...I'd say the 2 are pretty close. With the wirebug sometimes being even faster (bonus speed if you have a rocket lance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

RuBisCO posted:

Yeah. For me the climbing with wirebugs and having my cat to heal and also steal easily makes up for the lack of gotta go fast, but going very fast on land is pretty fun.