Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Having the troll event trigger so early is an unfortunate decision considering how devastating it can be. I made a point of never building more than stake walls and I've never had a problem with the single wall. Building a moat is unnecessary even solo. What drove me to make a moat was when I started getting annoyed by the events. Raids on your main meadow bases amount to an unwanted interruption. The raids can be a challenge when they happen on some small, incomplete and undefended outpost. That's when the events add something to the game.

How much will mobs destroy if you leave them unchecked? I know if they destroy the workbench and there's another nearby, the event re-centers on the next workbench and they keep attacking. Will they target chests and crafting upgrades?

I hope the devs consider what motivates players. A fully developed base with tons of materials and crafting stations is something a player can't afford to lose. They'll build enough defenses to trivialize the events, making the events a trivial and unwanted interruption. When the raids happen at a small camp the risk is real but penalty for fleeing is not so severe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I guess I've been completely ignoring roundpole fences as a decorative item until now but do they not snap together?

They do not.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

xzzy posted:

There hasn't been a major update yet so we don't know.

I would hope they don't require a world regen or people are gonna lose their poo poo.

I'm virtually positive they've said when the new biomes come in you'll need to make a new world if you want them populated

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Azhais posted:

I'm virtually positive they've said when the new biomes come in you'll need to make a new world if you want them populated

People in the thread have said that, but I've never seen a source about that from the developer. A PC Gamer article that interviewed the devs said:

quote:

I also asked how adding entirely new biomes would effect the procedurally generated worlds people are currently exploring and building in, and if those new biomes would overwrite sections of the world players may have already visited.

"We're currently discussing how we're gonna do that. From a technical standpoint. I can't really give you a clear answer right now," he said.

So the real current answer is vOv

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

They do not.

That's weird!

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

fennesz posted:

Nope. Unless the mountain region is really low. The higher the mountain goes the more silver I've pulled out. We have two mountains that are small in overall map area but rise very high. I think I've pulled 300 silver out of one.

I combed it inch by inch today and it really does appear to be the only one. Already built a proper base and painstakingly transported the forge over there too, since the area was so large. Oh well :(

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Having played 7D2D off and on for like six years (still in "Alpha", lol), I fully expect to have to reset the Valheim world multiple times down the road. The smart thing the devs have done here is separate the character from the world so just port your poo poo from old to new as needed.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

valuum posted:

I combed it inch by inch today and it really does appear to be the only one. Already built a proper base and painstakingly transported the forge over there too, since the area was so large. Oh well :(

:rip: That sucks. I guess it's just like swamps then, you might get huge swamps with no crypts or vice versa.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

maybe you get to take one weapon/tool to your new land or something, that'd be pretty tight. what would y'all take?

me? black metal shield all goddamn dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Gotta be careful making that choice, because it could be a looooooong time before you have a forge capable of repairing it if you take the high-end gear

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Gotta be careful making that choice, because it could be a looooooong time before you have a forge capable of repairing it if you take the high-end gear

:psyduck:

gently caress... I didn't think of that

my hubris has doomed me

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Do we get a power too? I’d probably bring Moder power + a wishbone and do everything in my power to skip the majority of the swamp. Like lemme get some turnips and sausage ingredients and I’m out until I need padded.

I get that there’s some logic to “tree man makes it easier to chop wood” but I’d love to see them swap around the second and fourth boss powers. Having the fourth power earlier would make some of the mid game “welp this swamp has no crypts time to sail to the next one” way less dragged out.

vvvvvvvv
I actually really appreciate the super heavy fog - I feel like so few games really commit to making weather/darkness actually matter, and while it definitely makes stuff harder, it’s just so drat cool.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 3, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The other night I was doing a route through our swamp to restock on surtling cores and the game bugged out and I got clear skies under a full moon. I actually enjoyed being in the swamp during that period, just being able to see the drat ground was a huge quality of life improvement.

The game is definitely beautiful when it's moody but they went way overboard with making it impossible to see.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Johnny Truant posted:

my hubris has doomed me

Some friends and I were kicking around variations on the idea as we were discussing the "what do we do when we've done everything we want to do on this server" concept, and the idea of "you fire up a new world, everyone makes new characters to drop into it, but you can take X amount of stuff from the existing server before we delete it" came up - kind of a way to represent, like, family heirlooms passed down from your old character to their descendant, the new character. So the drawback of "kit myself out in endgame gear" became apparent fast, as we all realized we'd have nowhere to fix it. It's a fun little thought experiment!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I'm pretty new to the game and would love to join somebody or some people that are starting fresh. Anyone?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

my hubris has doomed me

Shields take a huge beating before they need to be repaired and that one only needs level 3 forge (find iron). I would take the same thing.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Otacon posted:

Well after almost 600 days, my server has unanimously agreed that we want to roll a new map. I am saddened that all of our creations will be lost to time, like tears in rain, but we're going to do things right this time thanks to the power of experience.

No boss kills. We love to build and explore, and we've already killed all the bosses on our current seed. This will cut down on base raids, which have generally grown monotonous and everyone agrees they don't provide much fun.

We will immediately set to building everyone their own Karve using imported materials from the old seed, so we can all sail to our desired locations. Some want to beeline it towards Ashlands or Mistlands for their main bases, hoping for future content. Our new seed has 2 Maypoles which I'm sure will be highly contested building locations as well.

We will import all boss heads/boss drops, and build our International House of Portals right by the spawn-in standing stones. This will allow new players an easier transition to getting a base setup away from the starting continent, while providing direct access to Boss Powers anytime you use the portal network.

We will stress minimal terraforming, especially for hub locations. The biggest gripe on our first seed was that we went hogwild with massive ugly centralized bases that housed all of our portals, making it a pain in the rear end to constantly hop back and forth and dealing with slow loading and lag. We've gotten better at using the terrain as-is and our newer buildings look more natural and follow the landscape instead of clear-cutting 150 tiles into the base of a mountain.

Lastly, we want to stress individual camps/outposts/towns instead of communal living, as there were some hurt butts when someone would improve or revamp someone else's work. Each player will have their own item warehouses instead of one giant shared stash space, which quickly became overwhelming and bordered on useless considering that metal/ores can't be easily or quickly moved.

Our hopes are that this seed will be our forever-home, or at least until a new patch or update forces us to roll a new seed.

I'll have a Baconator with fries and a Dr. Pepper please, yes I'll pull through to the next window now, thank you.

What server? Or is it a private group of personal friends?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ruggan posted:

I'm pretty new to the game and would love to join somebody or some people that are starting fresh. Anyone?

I'm nearly to that point as well. Would be interested in joining you and any others that would be up for a new server.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

We went serpent hunting. 40+ serpent meat and a lot of scales. Took about an hour cruising around in the karve. After you're done with hauling iron or silver in the longship, get you a karve. Faster, nimbler, funner.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Karve is most certainly slower than the longship. It is more nimble, has less inertia, and lower draft though.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Still get a karve. Only problem is it's pretty destroyable if you're too close to plains...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Or, you know, serpents.

I got wrecked by a double serpent spawn in a karve. Then after killing the boat they hosed off and left me floating in the middle of the ocean.

Karves are GOAT at going up rivers though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My buddy and I have finally moved onto the plains and found a group of 3 stone pillars far away from any villages and close to the shore which are probably/hopefully close enough together to connect 3 stone-top bases between. One of them might be a bit too far away from the other two for a skybridge but even if it is that one is also really close a mountain so we can have a stone pillar base combined with a mountain fortress and then just a stones throw behind it a 2 pillar base. If we can connect to the third from the other two (and work our way through actually building on those) it will be a true citadel.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

My buddy and I have finally moved onto the plains and found a group of 3 stone pillars far away from any villages and close to the shore which are probably/hopefully close enough together to connect 3 stone-top bases between. One of them might be a bit too far away from the other two for a skybridge but even if it is that one is also really close a mountain so we can have a stone pillar base combined with a mountain fortress and then just a stones throw behind it a 2 pillar base. If we can connect to the third from the other two (and work our way through actually building on those) it will be a true citadel.

My wife and I are in the middle of doing something like that. We pushed into the plains and found 2 big rock spires. Iron wood is your friend. It's crazy that I can put it across the expanse between 2 big spires and the stuff I put on it still shows as blue grounded. Truly amazing stuff. Currently an argument is going to whether I sail in some iron to make a blast furnace at the plains, or wait and sail back all the black metal and build the blast furnace at our black forest main base.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 3, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you need extra distance plant a big old pine tree between the pillars and use it as an anchor point. Entirety of the tree counts as ground for distance calc

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Rooooooooof

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Rooooooooof

:frogsiren:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Killstick posted:

Rooooooooof

Nice roof

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Kill me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm nearly to that point as well. Would be interested in joining you and any others that would be up for a new server.

I can look into setting up a new seed tonight, shouldn't be too hard using the Google cloud stuff and just making a new compute engine server.

Can one of you two set up a discord in the meantime? I can check out various seeds to use, maybe fine one with a maypole. Don't want to have one where iron doesn't exist or anything

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lmao

I'm glad you guys are all embracing the absurdity of iron wood

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
I'd be down to play on a server with other goons too. Just about to finish the game solo.

Would you guys be starting new guys or importing them from other games?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SoUr posted:

I'd be down to play on a server with other goons too. Just about to finish the game solo.

Would you guys be starting new guys or importing them from other games?

for you, ruggan , FLIPADELPHIA and anyone else that wants on the new seed, join this discord
https://discord.gg/QeFRHtjw

we can sort out if we want to kill bosses on the seed or not, have brand new chars, etc

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

That's weird!

The round poles with sharpened tops? They definitely do snap together, but at a weird point. You have to aim a lot lower, towards their base, than you might expect.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Osmosisch posted:

The round poles with sharpened tops? They definitely do snap together, but at a weird point. You have to aim a lot lower, towards their base, than you might expect.

They're talking about the farm fences. The ones that are weirdly asymmetrical and only sort of make sense if you clip them through each other. Incidentally clipping the stake walls through each other leads to nicer lines too.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

mastershakeman posted:

for you, ruggan , FLIPADELPHIA and anyone else that wants on the new seed, join this discord
https://discord.gg/QeFRHtjw

we can sort out if we want to kill bosses on the seed or not, have brand new chars, etc

Cool. I jumped in the discord and flip did as well. Looking forward to it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zaffy posted:

Shields take a huge beating before they need to be repaired and that one only needs level 3 forge (find iron). I would take the same thing.

Shield homies! :parrot:

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

I think i'll be safe from Greydwarves up here.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 3, 2021

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

They're talking about the farm fences. The ones that are weirdly asymmetrical and only sort of make sense if you clip them through each other. Incidentally clipping the stake walls through each other leads to nicer lines too.

Oh, right! Yeah, those don't snap indeed. I guess the needed overlapping for them to look authentic is the reason.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Finally finished this madness. I still can't believe I pulled it off. No mods or cheats.

Interior:

How it started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

AccountSupervisor posted:

Finally finished this madness. I still can't believe I pulled it off. No mods or cheats.

Interior:

How it started

That's amazingly beautiful