Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I’ve been trying Courage for a couple days now, just switched back to Strength and I instantly felt much more effective again. Even with Focus, Courage just charges too drat slow to feel like I’m getting any benefit over Strength. I never felt like the quicker attacks of Courage were quick enough to the point where I could get them off but not a level 3 moving Strength charge, especially when I need to charge again right away when I should be getting the heck out of there. Using Strength means I’ve got a heavy hitter ready to go all the time vs some piddly first or second Courage charge. If I whiff the first and second to bank that final charge, what have I achieved versus just using Strength? It does frustrate me a little because I hate how Strength essentially makes the standard Yellow stance obsolete, at least Courage meant the stances were different. Perhaps Courage is better for elemental/status hammers because of the extra hits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what's a good way to build mounting damage with lance

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

lets hang out posted:

Twin vine jump attacks

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Either the jump attack while charging, or I assume the alternate Silkbind attack would do it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

those suuuuuuuck though

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

lets hang out posted:

those suuuuuuuck though

The only thing I miss from world is clutch counter

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I picked voice 6 and for my dude and he's got this pretentious scholar vibe and it's hilarious. I'll start carving and he'll be like "Don't mind my impudence!". And sometimes when I gather rarer stuff he's just like "exCUSE me". I kinda love it.

My guy comments "fish are weird" as he's fishing and hell i agree. At least thats what i think he says

He also makes an awkward yell whenever a monster sees me

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Looks like the Rise OST is up on Spotify now, in case you needed the village music in your head all the time like I do.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Finished my entry to HR armor set.. slugger 3, stamina thief 3, weakness exploit 2, horn maestro, part breaker, evade extender, and wirebug whisperer all at 1 (I guess ammo up but it’s just there to be there from my boots)

Horn sinister strum II
Bone helm
Kulu-ya-ku chest & gloves
Skalda belt
Wroggi greaves

No idea how decorations work yet in rise, only things I can craft are junk or resists? Same for talisman? I was using the horn maestro talisman, but the kulu ya ku chest and gloves just pair so nicely for Horn, so no need for that slot. I suppose finding a better chest is the ideal route, but for just starting HR I like this set.

You know, I’m gonna go ahead and assume plugging the resist holes or negatives I have is the best deco use for now. Time to farm up some of those for each element just incase ...

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 3, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I picked the voice that sounds like Nathan Drake and he says “yoink” like Homer Simpson when I pick stuff up sometimes

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wish the big wirebug spots appeared on the minimap. For all the good a palico does the drift doggo gives entirely too much mobility to pass up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

I wish the big wirebug spots appeared on the minimap. For all the good a palico does the drift doggo gives entirely too much mobility to pass up.
They do, they're little circles with arrows pointing the direction they launch you

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
failing a hunt in an online lobby but getting a plate out of it because you cut their legs or something is so loving funny and it's happened to me three times

i wish people would be more careful, definitely not me though just other people

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat the Zinorge introduction and poem is badass.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

the final lance switch skill is really good for mounting damage and generic damage and I like it a lot. It's too bad it's at HR5, but oh well.

Diablos seems to be at 7, not 6, so I can't make my ideal set yet. Unless I find someone hosting it by chance. I'd love to get it on it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yeah, n'thing Spiral Thrust being pretty decent for mounting damage on Lance. It's a shame it's locked halfway through HR.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Thumbtacks posted:

failing a hunt in an online lobby but getting a plate out of it because you cut their legs or something is so loving funny and it's happened to me three times

i wish people would be more careful, definitely not me though just other people

me carting after sitting at half health for two minutes: calculated risk, big brain play

teammate carting at 90% hp: shoulda healed idiot

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I just started giving hammer a shot and I have zero idea what I'm doing, but seeing big numbers is fun. It seems like I should just be charging all the time because it has no downside and if I have to evade it'll just cancel automatically and restart?

Also what the gently caress is the difference between the stances, the game does fuckall to tell me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I only just noticed last night that holding down the L button zooms your minimap in to be the detailed map. Game changer right there.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

chumbler posted:

I only just noticed last night that holding down the L button zooms your minimap in to be the detailed map. Game changer right there.

There's also on option to swap that behavior, so it's zoomed in by default and holding L zooms out.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Triarii posted:

There's also on option to swap that behavior, so it's zoomed in by default and holding L zooms out.

This is definitely the better setup IMO. It’s one of those settings like show player outlines that should’ve been defaulted.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MMF Freeway posted:

me carting after sitting at half health for two minutes: calculated risk, big brain play

me, carting after I thought I had enough HP for Moxie to kick in but I was a pixel short: :argh:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Beat Magnamalo for the first time last night

First fight was alone with another newbie, he got carted nearly immediately leaving me to do surprisingly well dodging but also doing absolutely no damage. Then I got killed twice in a row by an attack I literally didn't even see.

Second time was us and two high rank friends purposefully using crappy weapons. Didn't cart at all, actually got multiple Foresight Slashes in.

It's a very intimidating monster but now I have the longsword and this thing rules

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

Me wirebug falling right back into the fight and eating a follow up back to back: I meant for this.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Beat Magnamalo for the first time last night

First fight was alone with another newbie, he got carted nearly immediately leaving me to do surprisingly well dodging but also doing absolutely no damage. Then I got killed twice in a row by an attack I literally didn't even see.

Second time was us and two high rank friends purposefully using crappy weapons. Didn't cart at all, actually got multiple Foresight Slashes in.

It's a very intimidating monster but now I have the longsword and this thing rules

It’s a really good and fun fight. He’s my favorite monster to dunk on so far, reminds me a lot of the red dog from world but with a longer tail. Has the same agile jumping around everywhere and if you just dodge through his charges you’re usually safest. Definitely punishes people who run away.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I run Fortify for a reason, and that reason is I am bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't sat and actually watched him, but I assume that magnamalo's attack patterns are based on which parts of him are currently on fire.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I just started giving hammer a shot and I have zero idea what I'm doing, but seeing big numbers is fun. It seems like I should just be charging all the time because it has no downside and if I have to evade it'll just cancel automatically and restart?

Also what the gently caress is the difference between the stances, the game does fuckall to tell me.

Yes, you should almost always be charging, but keep an eye on your stamina, you don't want to not have enough to dodge if needed. It takes a long time to actually run out of stamina by charging so it's not a big deal but still something to keep in mind.

As far as stances: You pretty much want to be in Strength (blue) stance most of the time. It changes your charge attacks to stronger ones, but slightly increases the time it takes to charge (not really enough to be a real drawback). When you switch back to the default (yellow) stance you get an instant level 3 charge plus a short dash so it can be used to quickly close distance and let loose a fully charged Impact Crater, which is the main reason you'd ever want to switch back.

There's Courage stance as a switch skill but the jury is still out on that one I think.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also with the hammer be aiming for the head as much as possible because its speciality is stunning monsters

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

This is definitely the better setup IMO. It’s one of those settings like show player outlines that should’ve been defaulted.

Absolutely this. Player outlines help so much

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Norns posted:

I got those grips. I get full range of movement with mine thankfully.

Ah good for you. Shortly after I bought my grip they announced a resigned stick topper. Good to know the new ones work well.

I just might put the toppers on. I don't think the sticks not going full tilt will impact this game. I'll give em a test drive in a bit.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Me wirebug falling right back into the fight and eating a follow up back to back: I meant for this.

even better to do it yet again, get stunned, and eat a cart

not that I would know about that...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do you get way more materials than earlier entries or am I just misremembering? I feel like I kill a monster once or twice and my pockets are overflowing with its bones and claws. Not that I'm complaining.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

[ask] me how many times i've RocketLanced directly into a one-shot cart

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

decided to go IG because it felt right with all the new mobility. Whoops I'm bad at it. flying over the monster, flying past the monster, vaulting in the wrong direction. Any tips?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tender Bender posted:

Do you get way more materials than earlier entries or am I just misremembering? I feel like I kill a monster once or twice and my pockets are overflowing with its bones and claws. Not that I'm complaining.

The days of GU and prior reward boxes are over. Become gorged in Gen 5 loot. :v:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Magnamalo is a fun fight. Got a plate on the first run in the target rewards, go go 2% chance!

LBG continues to be great fun. Been using the Barroth for its decent raw combined with rpf Pierce 1 and Shrapnel 1. Also has a Pierce Effect rampage upgrade that unlocks Pierce 2 and adds more ammo.

Do rampage upgrades stay if you upgrade the weapon in its main tree?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Game is def generous with dropping shines for you, esp when monster riding. I feel like part breaks are a bit easier to get in this game, and you get an extra drop for each one. Then theres the cats which can get you an extra two drops each (sorry dog friend).

I think the default for quest rewards is still four but it seems easier to get more than that as well compared to past games.

That combined with the fact that you need less parts to make weapons and armor means it's really easy to craft and try new things. Which is what they said they were going for.

The one problem is that without investigations its actually harder to get plates and rubies than World.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

v1ld posted:

Magnamalo is a fun fight. Got a plate on the first run in the target rewards, go go 2% chance!

LBG continues to be great fun. Been using the Barroth for its decent raw combined with rpf Pierce 1 and Shrapnel 1. Also has a Pierce Effect rampage upgrade that unlocks Pierce 2 and adds more ammo.

Do rampage upgrades stay if you upgrade the weapon in its main tree?

Yup they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I still have yet to actually break Mizu's claw and I still got a bunch of claws just from capture rewards so.