Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alright, looks like we’re not going to find out what this show is actually about until we watch it then (I’m fine with that honestly).

Do we at least know which one of the characters is supposed to be our main protagonist yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looks like it's blue hoodie boy?

Edit: there's a new synopsis

quote:

One day, Yomogi Asanaka, a first-year student at Fujiyokidai High School, runs into a mysterious man named Gauma who claims to be a “kaiju user.”

The sudden appearance of a kaiju is followed by the entry of the gigantic robot, Dynazenon. In the wrong place at the wrong time are Yume Minami, Koyomi Yamanaka, and Chise Asukagawa, who are dragged into the fight against the kaiju.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 28, 2021

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

More like "If you only follow the rules, there are things you might not be able to protect.".

I only know enough Japanese to not be totally lost watching an episode of say One Piece without subtitles for example, so take this with a grain of salt.

I could probably make some snarky joke about what you are normally watching when you mistake the Japanese word for slimy/wet "nuru" over the borrowed English word "rule". But the Japanese pronunciation of R, L and N is probably the most likely to throw off English speaking listeners. ;)

Yeah, it makes more sense with Rule.
Kind of embarrassing when I have JLPT N2. English is my second language, though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's interesting to me that the big red guy is seemingly our villain AND the heroes are apparently being straightforwardly told this and establishing a rivalry from the jump. Noteworthy difference from Gridman where the heroes don't find out that Akane's controlling the Kaiju till like midshow, and even then hesitate to treat her as an enemy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i can totally see those two as a couple.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first episode is out (no dub this time it would seem, or not yet anyway)

So here's what we're dealing with. At first, it resembled another Trigger series - Kiznaiver - in the way that it was leaning into melodrama about a group of seemingly unrelated characters, and Gauma, the weirdo who kickstarts everything.

This sort of somberish tone was mostly held up, and then Dynazenon appears, yoinks most of the main cast to become its pilots and transforms into "Dyna Rex", a formation very reminiscent of Dyna Dragon from Gridman. What any of this means is still quite unclear, but it's setting up a lot that can be built on.

Seems like a decent start. I’m kind of curious if this will eventually tie back into the previous series somehow (or if Gridman himself will appear for that matter) or if this is more of a spiritual successor than a literal one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 2, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well that was wild. I'm very interested in what Yume's deal is and what the gently caress even is Gauma? Very fun watch either way. I hope the mystery can hold up as well as Gridman's.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 2, 2021

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

Seems like a decent start. I’m kind of curious if this will eventually tie back into the previous series somehow (or if Gridman himself will appear for that matter) or if this is more of a spiritual successor than a literal one.

It's already tied into it a little, albeit indirectly. The little beads that were scattered all over the town that made things float and summoned the Kaiju are the same kind of beads that Akane put in the core of her Kaiju sculptures. The thing Gauma pulls out before Dynazenon shows up is also clearly a sculpture.

Strong first ep. Good drama, good fighting. Chise is very cute.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think I liked this first episode more than Gridman's just because there was more to it. Dynazenon's debut battle was a bit more slick looking too. Kinda curious about how they're gonna cram in the other four featured characters though (maybe they're villains?)

is there a guide for who is based on what transformer yet

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Compelling first episode! Gauma is a lot of fun, a good bro, and I can't wait to find out what the third important thing is for people to keep after promises and love. Minami is also an interesting character, with her promise-breaking affliction. Their confrontation was a highlight of the episode; hope they keep butting heads. Also, good fight at the end, and I'm interested to see what complications having four people piloting Dynazeon might introduce.

I never watched past the first episode of SSSS.Gridman; since this isn't a direct sequel, instead of binging Gridman first, I'm watching one episode a week alongside Dynazeon - think it'll be interesting to compare. First episode of Gridman was intriguing (despite already being spoiled on the twist), but I found Dynazeon's characters more immediately compelling (specifically the two I mentioned above), so it wins the first round. Special dog appearance in both! That must be the key to all this.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Minami is also an interesting character, with her promise-breaking affliction.

Her dead sister wanted her to come to a recital, she watches the people she makes wait and and sing choir songs alone. That's got to be related.

The buff bird in her sister's room was also nice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

Her dead sister wanted her to come to a recital, she watches the people she makes wait and and sing choir songs alone. That's got to be related.

The buff bird in her sister's room was also nice.

Something that also stands out to me - There's this obvious visual focus on those interlocking Venus thingies that we're led to assume are a leftover from Minami's sister. Those combined with that kind of jarring line in the conversation the kids were having about some kid a few years back getting bullied to suicide, right before we got introduced with Minami make me wonder - could Minami's sister have faced bullying for being gay or something and that's what led to her death? Way too early to be marrying any particular theory, of course, but that was an idea that crossed my mind just off the hints we've been given so far.

Anyway, yeah this is basically exactly what I wanted from a Gridman followup. Love how it's shot, the dialogue's got this satisfyingly naturalistic flow that's still too rare in anime, and the robots are cool. Excited to see how it all comes together.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I figured her dead sister committed suicide on the day of the recital, hence 'breaking her promise' with Minami, hence Minami breaking her promise with other people.

Good premiere. I really liked the detail of Minami's parents arguing in the background while she trawled around her sister's room. It's neat because their argument wasn't like, over the top, it didn't seem abusive, just like a marriage falling apart due to the death of a child. That sort of restraint made it feel way more awkward and raw.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Spiritus Nox posted:

There's this obvious visual focus on those interlocking Venus thingies
I think those are ankhs since the cross bar is right at the base of the circle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

I figured her dead sister committed suicide on the day of the recital, hence 'breaking her promise' with Minami, hence Minami breaking her promise with other people.

Oh yeah, I'm taking that - or at least that the sister died, might end up not being suicide, who knows - basically as a given, and that Minami's promise breaking thing is her trying to understan her sister better on some level. Just trying to parse the visual focus on the interlocking thingies - and Sindai's right, they do look much more like Ankhs now that I think of it - in particular. Them being Ankhs makes some thematic sense too - an Ankh is a symbol of life, so they're two lives - Minami and sister? - intertwined...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Good premiere. I really liked the detail of Minami's parents arguing in the background while she trawled around her sister's room. It's neat because their argument wasn't like, over the top, it didn't seem abusive, just like a marriage falling apart due to the death of a child. That sort of restraint made it feel way more awkward and raw.

Restraint in these things is the SSSS Gridman way. Which stands out all the more because, you know. It's a show centered around giant monster fights.

It's definitely interesting how different the dynamics are for the leads this early. Yuta and Shu were the class losers in the previous show, and while Akane was popular, she kept her supposed friends at a distance because she didn't really care about them.

Meanwhile, here we have Yomogi being a pretty socially connected guy. He's got friends, he's got a job after school, his family isn't overseas. We're seeing someone whose life is going to be disrupted by Kaiju fights, rather than someone who didn't have much going on right then anyway.

(We're also getting the same contrast between "normal" people and anime weirdoes we saw with the Neon Genesis gang in the person of our Kaiju tamer, who seems like a lot of fun already.)

Yeah, off to a great start

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Well that was wild. I'm very interested in what Yume's deal is and what the gently caress even is Gauma? Very fun watch either way. I hope the mystery can hold up as well as Gridman's.

Did Gridman every say what SSSS stood for? I was downright shocked when that showed up right at the beginning of the episode but maybe my memory is bad.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Did Gridman every say what SSSS stood for? I was downright shocked when that showed up right at the beginning of the episode

Special Signature to Save a Soul iirc

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Well that's pretty interesting, especially the plural souls this time around.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I initially misread "scarred" as "sacred" so I didn't get it at first, but the new SSSS + what we've already seen of our cast of misfits certainly makes it sound like we'll be leaning hard into specific personal trauma this time out huh

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cute

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

x

Kano's Calendar.
September 2015

4th: Test, "Hinai" practice
5th: Swimming supplement lessons
7th: demonstrative class/Workshop
10th: Return DVD
12th: Buy a present!!
15th: Kanae-senpai HBD(Happy Birthday)
21st: Concert
25th: 16th (Birthday)
27th: Ticket Payment 5800¥

She also drew little sprouts on mostly weekends.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sorry, I don't remember her :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Sorry, I don't remember her :v:

She's the daughter of the guy who owned the restaurant in Gridman. We saw her picture there when Akane and Yuta had their date. Pretty minor detail, so it makes sense you forgot.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

She's the daughter of the guy who owned the restaurant in Gridman. We saw her picture there when Akane and Yuta had their date. Pretty minor detail, so it makes sense you forgot.

Woosh

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

That’s the joke, yeah (one of the gimmicks from the last series was that the people killed by Akane’s kaiju get forgotten about by the general public)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

That’s the joke, yeah (one of the gimmicks from the last series was that the people killed by Akane’s kaiju get forgotten about by the general public)

Not completely forgotten, which is what I was referencing.

In the episode where Akane and Yuta go on a date, they visit Tonkawa's father's restaurant, and he has a memorial photo for her. He just thinks she died years ago, instead of just a couple weeks back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Not completely forgotten, which is what I was referencing.

In the episode where Akane and Yuta go on a date, they visit Tonkawa's father's restaurant, and he has a memorial photo for her. He just thinks she died years ago, instead of just a couple weeks back.

Ah, that’s right

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I still think it was kind of mean of Gridman not to comment on whether the ending undid any of that or not

Spiritus Nox posted:

Something that also stands out to me - There's this obvious visual focus on those interlocking Venus thingies that we're led to assume are a leftover from Minami's sister. Those combined with that kind of jarring line in the conversation the kids were having about some kid a few years back getting bullied to suicide, right before we got introduced with Minami make me wonder - could Minami's sister have faced bullying for being gay or something and that's what led to her death? Way too early to be marrying any particular theory, of course, but that was an idea that crossed my mind just off the hints we've been given so far.
Pretty sure their mom says Minami goes to a different school than her sister did?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's very interesting we've already discarded SSSS Gridman's tokusatsu-style battles right from the start, with Dynazenon doing a lot of wild poo poo that's more in line with a mecha anime than your standard suit based action.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, was it established whether or not the world of SSSS Gridman still existed after Akane returned to the real world in the end?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 3, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

I forget, was it established whether or not the world of SSSS Gridman still existed after Akane returned to the real world in the end?

Also out of curiosity, how much involvement do Tsuburaya themselves have in the production of this and the previous anime?

It was. One of the radio dramas took place after the ending.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Larryb posted:

Also out of curiosity, how much involvement do Tsuburaya themselves have in the production of this and the previous anime?

Yes we see multiple scenes after Akane disappeared, and given that Gridman's Fixer Beam turned the virtual world from just a city to an entire planet it'd be real hosed up if it just stopped existing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, it’s been a while since I watched the last show. I should fix that at some point (especially now that I’ve finished watching the original live action Gridman subbed).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
That was always one of the conceits of the original Gridman show anyway. It's a Real Place with Real Individuals, even if it's a digital reality, and it's possible for crossover between the Human and Computer dimensions in either direction by means of the aid of someone from a third dimension, Hyper World (where Gridman and allies are from, but also the main villain of the live action; Alexis was apparently from elsewhere). Even if Akane had traveled there in her sleep somehow, her presence was also real.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hogama posted:

That was always one of the conceits of the original Gridman show anyway. It's a Real Place with Real Individuals, even if it's a digital reality, and it's possible for crossover between the Human and Computer dimensions in either direction by means of the aid of someone from a third dimension, Hyper World (where Gridman and allies are from, but also the main villain of the live action; Alexis was apparently from elsewhere). Even if Akane had traveled there in her sleep somehow, her presence was also real.

Actually Alexis was only from the sequel, the original villain was named Khan Digifier (or Kilokhan in the American adaptation Syber Squad). Good point otherwise though.

The live action Gridman was ok but the animes are better overall. Hell, even the American adaptation had more entertaining characters in my opinion (plus it starred a young Matthew Lawrence and featured Tim Curry as the voice of the main villain)

Out of curiosity, how much involvement does Tsuburaya actually have with this and the previous series (or did they just license it and let Trigger do most of the work)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 3, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

Actually Alexis was only from the sequel, the original villain was named Khan Digifier (or Kilokhan in the American adaptation Syber Squad).
That's what I meant, sorry I was unclear. Khan was from Hyper World.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, how much involvement does Tsuburaya actually have with this and the previous series (or did they just license it and let Trigger do most of the work)?

I dunno if they had any sway in the storytelling on a company level, but the writer is one of the most prolific Ultra series writers out there (though he isn't strictly a Tsubu guy, he's done plenty of work for Toei and such).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

I dunno if they had any sway in the storytelling on a company level, but the writer is one of the most prolific Ultra series writers out there (though he isn't strictly a Tsubu guy, he's done plenty of work for Toei and such).

Is the same writer from SSSS Gridman currently working on Dynazenon as well?