Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Rapner posted:

ShadowIz should get best manager, he consistently won it.

If I could just get this team to stop SUCKING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

How does form between seasons work? Like should I be training my players now that I'm going to keep and need a boost before the next season starts?

Jive Turkey
Oct 28, 2005
Mean Mamma Jamma

Canasta_Nasty posted:

How does form between seasons work? Like should I be training my players now that I'm going to keep and need a boost before the next season starts?

You'll get a change report, which might increase or decrease a players overall skill. From my experience it seems like the higher the increase in skill, the more form it'll take away.

Best strategy is to try and time your training to end on the day of or day after the CR.
I also like to try and play a friendly before the new season starts for a little extra form boost.

Jive Turkey fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 2, 2021

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Shadowlz posted:

If I could just get this team to stop SUCKING.

I think they did great, the main thing that let you down was the youth goal keeper for 1/2 the series. I was lucky in our matches, and I chased some really old farts that would only be good for 1-2 seasons, whereas you took a longer view. My strategy was that this will likely be the easiest series we play in and if I build a more disposable but strong team I can make the money back from the title. If it failed (and it was close) I would have been boned.

Edit: Oh, and then #2 most important player on the pitch is a FKer. Yours is pretty good but if they were better than most keepers you'll rake in goals.

Rapner fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 2, 2021

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Fun season, thanks y'all. Felt like Nagele A was very competitive and a handful of teams could have won. I'm pretty confident it's all downhill from here for the Alphabets!

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Rapner posted:

Payouts haven't happened yet, I think they happen when the CR is done?

ShadowIz should get best manager, he consistently won it.

Still blaming it. I need an excuse when I completely fold against top opposition next season damnit!

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Winning best manager works out so perfectly with my gimmick I must say.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
The youths I bought halfway through the season got to +5 but then stopped. I read somewhere that mid season transfers get a penalty to DV, but after all this time I have no idea if that's an experience penalty, a DV clamp, just what happens when they only have 60% of games to skill up, whatever. Also shoutouts to this kid who spent the entire last half locked into bonkers form for absolutely no reason:

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Change reports are in. Mine was ok, two double jumps and I lost a couple of points from my old gaffers as expected.

Still, works for me!

Any objection to this league structure?

Edit: Or option B:

Rapner fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 4, 2021

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

I like option a. Option b looks like a big long climb and make the bottom league have a lot of abandons

Also how do you get to that change report? Mine is like by player but I am pretty hosed up so I could be missing it.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
3 relegations and the bottle shape would be great. Also please consider a boost for our managers joining up without the chance to have built anything over last season!

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Shadowlz posted:

I like option a. Option b looks like a big long climb and make the bottom league have a lot of abandons

Also how do you get to that change report? Mine is like by player but I am pretty hosed up so I could be missing it.

It's in the recent events panel in your lobby screen.

Edit:

tomanton posted:

3 relegations and the bottle shape would be great. Also please consider a boost for our managers joining up without the chance to have built anything over last season!

Will consider boosting any teams that joined after the last league started, once the new division structure is started. As long as they aren't gaming the system when I look at their team.

Rapner fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 4, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I prefer option a for the league structure. Option b will probably lead to more abandoned teams.

I had 2 double jumps in my change report, which was nice, but the weirdest thing was that 3 of my oldies also jumped including my now 32yr old keeper :psyduck: I will very much take the unexpected bonus of a couple of 10 skill outfielders though, as much as I would have preferred a couple more double jumps from the kids.

I'm going to need to splash out big on a new development forward as the guy I was developing is a poo poo.

Edit:

No real standout player. I guess I'm going to keep the 20/6s as they may be primed to double jump. Definitely need to fire about 6 players.

Flayer fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 4, 2021

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

I was a bit disappointed with CR. Only one double jump and weird distribution (a lot of mid-late 20s instead of some youngsters who are basically dead weight now). But looking at the ones posted here, I got a good improvement, it seems like.

---

I'm for option A. The 7 team leagues are unfortunate, but 36 is a surprisingly weird number to split up nicely.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

No double jumps, hoping that all those +6 DV guys just were in the spot on the bars that has a lot of growth but still shows one bar. Cutting a few and making some moves on the roster to get ready for a leaner more focused season!

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
My CR looked super ordinary on the numbers front, but everyone I was hoping would jump did and all the oldies/waiting to be sacked players dropped off. I'm fairly confident I can scrape this squad off the bottom of the lowest division next season.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I didn't get any double jumps either, and somehow my 18/4 with +6 DV became a 19/4, which I thought was impossible :lol: I'm sure if he had a good season he would get a double jump on the next CR but it's not worth it so he's sacked now. Oh well, time to replace all of the players I neglected last season!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PTizzle posted:

My CR looked super ordinary on the numbers front, but everyone I was hoping would jump did and all the oldies/waiting to be sacked players dropped off. I'm fairly confident I can scrape this squad off the bottom of the lowest division next season.

Yeah my only two losses were my two veteran defenders, one of whom joined late and the other spent the entire season with us injured.

My two youths who had poo poo DV (through injury and joining late respectively) did get single jumps, so i'm going to dump them on the market knowing that they're actually "low" for their displayed skill.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
So with the second season coming up and everyone having more of a chance to mold their squads what are you going for? I'm thinking you need 11 for the first team, 1 spare goalie, 3 development players to substitution cycle every game, 3 extra players so you can use every formation (except 4-2-4 but who cares). Ideally that means an 18 player squad. I would like to pare it down further but 18 seems like the minimum. Thoughts?

Flayer fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 4, 2021

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flayer posted:

So with the second season coming up and everyone having more of a chance to mold their squads what are you going for? I'm thinking you need 11 for the first team, 1 spare goalie, 3 development players to substitution cycle every game, 3 extra players so you can use every formation (except 4-2-4 but who cares). Ideally that means an 18 player squad. I would like to pare it down further but 18 seems like the minimum. Thoughts?

I've cut myself down to a 5-5-3 roster currently, pending a player on the market and a useless older player I just haven't sacked yet. This let's me play functionally every formation if I'm willing to deal with no substitutes, though while I'm working on my youth primarily still and just invested in a very very good defender with leadership + excellent compatibility, most of my veterans are pretty much not worth training and are functionally disposable so I can always spend 200k any given match to flesh out a formation that uses all 5 players available to me.

Next season I'll probably cut a midfielder and go down to two youth forwards and keep my midfield almost entirely vets.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Flayer posted:

That's pretty much what I'll be doing, I'll be trying to stick to 2-3 different formations with mostly the same starting 11, with some cheap old players to languish on the bench and wait for injuries/suspensions. I'll be keeping my squad size close to the max in case things get soapy, hoping one of the cheap players eats it instead of my precious Claw.

Man, I really made some dumb decisions last season, like promoting my 18/4 youth goalkeepers with the hope that I could double-jump one of them and sell for a profit. That would have been an OK idea if they were 17/4 but their form was awful and oh god I spent way too much training them and they're worthless now :froggonk:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
My 18/5 with a +8 didn't double jump, but my 18/4 with +6 did for reasons?

Fortunato, my 18/5 intelligent/cool striker, double jumped to 19/7. He wants to be a superstar :v:

Flayer posted:

I'm going for 16 - 2 goalies, 5 defenders (2 youth), 6 midfielders (3 youth) and 3 forwards (2 youth one oldie). Right now I'm doing an old fogey + youth mix, but as my youth get more developed I'll probably try to splash for a very solid mid 20s player (probably in the midfield).

Also, laughing that I can't sack my 26/6 moody defender because "There are no reasons to sack this person." Uh, I'm pretty sure "being worthless on my team" is a good reason

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 5, 2021

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Can't be mad about this. I've gotta cut the two 21/2 and /3s and backfill the midfield just a little though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dragongem posted:

I'm going for 18 - 2 goalies, 5 defenders (2 youth), 6 midfielders (3 youth) and 3 forwards (2 youth one oldie)

Pending a transfer of a just-under-a-mil value midfielder, this is my exact distribution and intent as well.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I've inactivated all the teams over a week old and will start the league tonight or tomorrow if I'm too drunk after poker.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
Thank god the transfer market finally opened up. Finally can get to work on replacing like 80% of my team!

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Season 2 created. League placements are:

Serie Goon:

Retu Nagele A:

Retu Nagele B:

Mr Taupe A:

Mr Taupe B:

Mr Taupe promotes into Retu Nagele, which promotes into Serie Goon. I'm a bit annoyed that only 1 slot goes up into Serie Goon despite 2 going up into Retu Nagele - will fix for next season if possible.

Edit: Game is too dumb to put Nagele winners in serie goon

Edit2: I changed it to 3 up 3 down to stop Retu Nagele being too much of a prison

Rapner fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 5, 2021

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
Looks good! I look forward to basement dwelling while growing my powerhouse.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Here is how everyone's squad values have changed since the change report. The squad values didn't update until this morning. I don't believe these numbers include any of the players that were purchased since the window re-opened so I think this might actually be a somewhat accurate way to answer the question of "Who Had the Best Change Report?" But I could definitely be wrong. I'll try to do this again right after the first game so we can see who added the most value between seasons.

Disclaimer: Squad value does not equal team skill, so while the Carnival Flayers are worth 3x as much as they were a few days ago, there may be other teams who had a similar amount of skill increase in the change report but less double-jumps to drive prices up. Players' skill levels are rounded to the nearest integer, you can use this tool to find out your player's actual skill. (Though you need VIP to see the change report with the % numbers on it.)

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 5, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Those are definitely some advanced stats and I like 'em

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Great stats, and good tool. My CR looks about the same as everyone else's, no double jumps but in another twist on this story arc

tomanton posted:

I paired my own 19/6 up with a 29/10 and plan to start them whenever possible, it was a bit pricey but now I don't have to worry about that position for 5-6 seasons

tomanton posted:

29/10 bringing up teens works so well every time
My mentor forward went up in skill AND form, requiring no offseason training.

Also real glad the dumb rear end name I put in the youth academy has been stamped onto a potential star:

Jive Turkey
Oct 28, 2005
Mean Mamma Jamma

bees everywhere posted:

Here is how everyone's squad values have changed since the change report.

Amazing work, thank you for doing this.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Pretty happy with my CR. Got a double on my 17/4 defender, and everyone else I wanted to go up did. I’m still a season or two from being relatively competitive with the number of U23s I have but it seems to be coming along nicely.

Got rid of some dead weight and bought a few 30+ vets with 10ish skill to even things out, still want to make one more purchase if I can find a bargain before the season starts.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

How in the world was my dumbass squad so valuable last season? :psyduck:

I assume it's just because I had a lot of expensive deadweight players.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If they're expensive they're not going to be deadweight, do you have a bunch of youngsters on the development curve? That will pump the value vs raw ability.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm working on getting my 20/5 GK up to snuff but the youth academy gives me a 17/4 (who traits usually in the right place) so...I gotta do it to em right?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
A 20/5 could realistically only hope to target ending up at 10 skill when fully developed. A 17/4 has a wider range of potential but could certainly end up with 14 skill bars. Spending a bunch of training econ developing the 20/5 feels like really limiting the core strength of your team and being a waste of development when in the short term you can draft in a 10+ skill oldie for comparitive pennies to cover over the cracks while the 17/4 builds up.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Going to sit out of trading for at least a week. Releasing 30 hungry goons at once in the market creates a feeding frenzy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rapner posted:

Going to sit out of trading for at least a week. Releasing 30 hungry goons at once in the market creates a feeding frenzy.

same, plus it'll give me a chance to earn some soccerbux so that I might be able to afford something decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Rapner posted:

Yeah I might have gotten a little carried away with the spending