Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Shoot down straight away and cripple so it crashes before reaching home are different things.

Ahh yes, every IL-2 that got hit by german fighters and flew away from it inevitably crashed after, of course.

You know, that actually still doesn't really help your case of rifle calibre bullets supposedly being effective against a plane that proved quite resistant to HMG and light autocannon calibres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Magni posted:

Ahh yes, every IL-2 that got hit by german fighters and flew away from it inevitably crashed after, of course.

You know, that actually still doesn't really help your case of rifle calibre bullets supposedly being effective against a plane that proved quite resistant to HMG and light autocannon calibres.

Effective? Probably not. A lucky shot being able to bring down a plane, or kill the pilot? Absolutely.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Magni posted:

Nobody's making the assertion that anything is 100% effective. If you've played literally any flight sim for a long enough period of time, you'll know that literally any amount of damage can lead to a lost plane. If the gear takes damage from even just small arms for example, it's quite likely that the plane is absolutely fine up until landing, at which point you shear the wing off and snap the prop. These kinds of concerns do have important implications in terms of airframes, parts and pilots.

You also have to add the psychological component. Nobody likes being shot at. Meanwhile if you're an infantryman or a gunner not diving for cover because it doesn't look like the plane's coming right at you, you're probably taking shots at the thing. Would you want to fly slow, straight and level near the ground in those conditions?

Similarly, even if the PTAB isn't actually a great tank killer, imagine you're inside a tank when those things drop. It'd probably sound and look like the world is loving ending, and it wouldn't be surprising if it fucks with your tracks or turret, with lucky hits actually penetrating. As previously discussed, WW2 was before anti-tank airstrike capabilities were actually decent, but that doesn't stop them from being utterly terrifying against crews of very uncomfortable and very tense and nervous men inside of lovely tin cans with limited visibility at a point in time when they're still learning how to train people to cope with that poo poo.

Buller posted:

The Germans lost the Battle of Britain to Tommies who were really good with the Enfield.

Stukas were specifically made to scare the living poo poo out of people in the area being bombed and were dive bombing at speed. 88s and 111s would bomb from altitude. Totally different scenario.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'd just like to apologize for the Il2/PTAB discussion that I started.

As for the Easter Sale, I can recommend Panzer Corps 2, Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa (all of them are pretty good, but barb is the best), Shadow Empire. I liked War Plan, but it's one of those weird games that is part way between Panzer Corps and being a real simulation, so it's not for everyone.

Also, since it's April 1st, I'll add: Panzer Corps 2 is the best because it accurately depicts the Stuka as being better for anti-tank missions than the Il2, thank you for your time.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 1, 2021

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Like I kinda want this to not be joke.

https://twitter.com/TriassicGames/status/1377655750500159493

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Hopefully it turns out to be like one of those War Thunder jokes that end up getting implemented for real.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That but not a joke is just war on the sea isn't it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pharnakes posted:

That but not a joke is just war on the sea isn't it?

I think that's the joke, the studio split up and Killer Shark the studio who made Cold Waters went the WW2 Pacific route and the new studio made up of ex Killer Shark devs continued with the Cold War stuff.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

has anyone played the new SGS Afrika Korps published by Avalon? I've been dyin' for something in that theater but it seems like slim pickins

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

Effective? Probably not. A lucky shot being able to bring down a plane, or kill the pilot? Absolutely.

Whoever landed that rifle shot should be playing the lottery, because he just beat odds worse than that. It's so far out there to be statistically meaningless.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Nobody's making the assertion that anything is 100% effective. If you've played literally any flight sim for a long enough period of time, you'll know that literally any amount of damage can lead to a lost plane. If the gear takes damage from even just small arms for example, it's quite likely that the plane is absolutely fine up until landing, at which point you shear the wing off and snap the prop. These kinds of concerns do have important implications in terms of airframes, parts and pilots.

No, but someone's trying to make an assertion that what amounts to a million-in-one chance is actually meaningful in a larger context.

As for psychological impact? An IL-2 on a run isn't that slow. The most likely result of some idiots wasting ammo trying to take potshots at it with a rifle or LMG is that the pilot never even notices. Hoping to scare off a plane diving right at you with tracer fire from your tanks' self-defense AAMG is already what amounts to a desperate last resort. Some chucklefuck trying actual deflection shots with a handheld weapon or machinegun without an AA mount? That's just a lot of noise and wasted ammo for absolutely nothing.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 2, 2021

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow it sold 9000 copies!

https://twitter.com/piuemme/status/1377984685117210633

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Would overpressure from a close but not direct bomb explosion be a concern for a WW2 tank crew?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

Would overpressure from a close but not direct bomb explosion be a concern for a WW2 tank crew?

Depends on how big the bomb is I guess. Near misses probably screwed up optics/tracks and might immobilize or reduce a tanks effectiveness.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

skooma512 posted:

I assume you're thinking of "could this big blast of air pressure near you, kill you, if you're inside a non-NBC hardened box?" Answer is like everything else "it depends", but; in generalised
WW2 tanky-battlefield terms, No. A big hardened metal box is very very good at withstanding pressue from outside, much like an egg. Your ears aren't etc. but the difference between being on the inside and outside is immense.

Now, if you moved that pressure inside the box...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I assume you're thinking of "could this big blast of air pressure near you, kill you, if you're inside a non-NBC hardened box?" Answer is like everything else "it depends", but; in generalised
WW2 tanky-battlefield terms, No. A big hardened metal box is very very good at withstanding pressue from outside, much like an egg. Your ears aren't etc. but the difference between being on the inside and outside is immense.

Got it, makes sense.

I would say losing their hearing is a risk too, but they're already in a cannon on top of a diesel engine, so they're probably all going deaf just by being a tanker in the first place.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The irony is Matrix were the only ones claiming it was a dying niche as their self-fulfilling prophecy.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Magni posted:

Whoever landed that rifle shot should be playing the lottery, because he just beat odds worse than that. It's so far out there to be statistically meaningless.

Honestly, I know you are wrong on this account. Small arms anti-aircraft fire was taught in American Infantry school during the Second World War.

Don’t mistake lack of modern computers for lack of statistical data and very smart statisticians (Macnamare was one of them, in fact.)

If anti-aircraft small arms fire did not show statistically significant results, it would have never been taught.

I am not saying it was easy for infantry to bring down planes with rifles, but concentrated anti-air small arms fire got results often enough for the very smart people in charge of the United States Army invested the resources and time on training infantry men how to properly shoot at airplanes.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 3, 2021

sum
Nov 15, 2010

That doesn't necessarily mean it was effective, just someone in the Department of War thought it was a good idea. There's a lot of reasons you could justify it, e.g. the price of small arms rounds is considerably less than the price of a plane and pilot so even a million-to-one rifle round to plane-downing ratio would be cost efficient, teaching infantry to return fire might reduce the morale impact of air attacks (which is considerable), taking 30 minutes to teach infantrymen how to engage aircraft has a very small marginal cost, etc. That doesn't mean it's a good idea, but it's easy to come up with a story to justify it.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Yer, I believe it was mainly a morale thing. Being bombed of strafed with no way of hitting back is a killer.

Even with AA sights you're still chasing that needle in a haystack.

What you are doing is making life harder for the pilots trying to attack you though. Make them pull out earlier or fly higher etc. Lots of tracers is intimidating even in your fairly well armoured aircraft.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 3, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've read an accout years ago, which I now just cannot find. Of an extremely upper class british officer circa summer of 1940. Giving confident lectures to his bemused battalion of ex-miners and brummie factory workers about how shooting down a Stuka with a Lee-Enfield was just like 'Bagging a brace of Grouse* on the Glorious 12th**' and offering tips on how to do so.

*British game bird.

**12th August, traditional start of the hunting season.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Abongination posted:

Yer, I believe it was mainly a morale thing. Being bombed of strafed with no way of hitting back is a killer.

On both ends. There's plenty of accounts of allied pilots who hated flying over allied troops because of the hail of small arms fire they'd get from inexperienced formations.

It might be mostly ineffective, but all it takes is one lucky bullet and you are dead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/unityofcommand/status/1378308755264307201

this is looking real dang cool

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cool, now back to grog games...

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I like the screenshot because it seems hes just thrown away the entire panzer strength of army group centre.

e: I wish unity of command would decide what it wants to be - if it wants to be a full puzzle game (get rid of the randomness factors) or if it wants to be a grog-lite title (get rid of the puzzle mechanics)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this counts as a grognard game and I will not hear otherwise

https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1378393515294613507

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

sum posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean it was effective, just someone in the Department of War thought it was a good idea. There's a lot of reasons you could justify it, e.g. the price of small arms rounds is considerably less than the price of a plane and pilot so even a million-to-one rifle round to plane-downing ratio would be cost efficient, teaching infantry to return fire might reduce the morale impact of air attacks (which is considerable), taking 30 minutes to teach infantrymen how to engage aircraft has a very small marginal cost, etc. That doesn't mean it's a good idea, but it's easy to come up with a story to justify it.

Again, I am absolutely not saying that it effective enough it could be relied on as a way to ‘regularly’ bring down airplanes, but it was effective enough—and significant enough—that they continued to train men how to do it.

By the way, when they were teaching men how to do it, it always involved the massed fire of a whole platoon—if they weren’t being bombed directly.

And yeah, I think in those rare moments 5 or more guys aimed well enough that a cloud of rifle projectiles was in the path of a low flying/strafing airplane, it probably wasn’t fun for the pilots they were shooting at—regardless of whether or not the plane was actually damaged.

Edit

And it’s still occasionally effective against things like attack helicopters. A large percentage of Apaches shot down in Afghanistan and Iraq have been brought down my small arms fire and non-guided RPGs.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 3, 2021

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

BrotherJayne posted:

Cool, now back to grog games...

We occasionally talk about this puzzle game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Wouldn't a direct explosive shell from something like an ISU-152 or an American 155 artillery gun be a really bad day for you even inside a tank?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mans posted:

Wouldn't a direct explosive shell from something like an ISU-152 or an American 155 artillery gun be a really bad day for you even inside a tank?

1. What box are you in
2. Most boxes cracked from that, with a result again much like an egg
3. The Q was originally about the "near miss" situation => a direct hit from a 15cm gun is a whole box full of bullshit to be in :)

sum
Nov 15, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zydMg5eEMKk

New Second Front vid. Looking like the compu-ASL game I was hoping for

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Good, i'll have something to incessantly stream as i recreate every asl scenario in it.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Good, i'll have something to incessantly stream as i recreate every asl scenario in it.

Hopefully you'll find better opponents with the new game!

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Kinda liking the look of WITE2, but I see it's only available in the Slitherine store. Any idea if it's coming to Steam later, or if buying it in the Slitherine store gets me a steam key?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Loezi posted:

Kinda liking the look of WITE2, but I see it's only available in the Slitherine store. Any idea if it's coming to Steam later, or if buying it in the Slitherine store gets me a steam key?

Yes to both, probably 6 months or so.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Mans posted:

gently caress yes. The concussive force could kill you regardless of whether or not the AFV was penetrated.

Edit

Yes, depends on the vehicle and how close the near miss is. I will point out the IEDs in Iraq that utilized 155mm Iraqi Army artillery shells would cause casualties in an M1A2 without penetrating the actual vehicle from concussive force alone.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 4, 2021

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Speaking of flight sims: why the gently caress are all the IL2 dlcs 50+ bucks? That's ridiculous.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ashmole posted:

Speaking of flight sims: why the gently caress are all the IL2 dlcs 50+ bucks? That's ridiculous.

Just wait for it to go on sale for 50% or more. It happens pretty regularly.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

gently caress yes. The concussive force could kill you regardless of whether or not the AFV was penetrated.

Edit

Yes, depends on the vehicle and how close the near miss is. I will point out the IEDs in Iraq that utilized 155mm Iraqi Army artillery shells would cause casualties in an M1A2 without penetrating the actual vehicle from concussive force alone.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ashmole posted:

That’s downright reasonable. DCS sells individual planes at that price. You can buy a moderately fancier aircraft carrier to land on for £30. With IL2 you get a campaign/campaigns, map and several planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Yep. Does it count as a penetration of the turret pops off?