Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weedle
May 31, 2006

in recent yakuza games all the restaurants have gorgeous photos of every dish on the menu and sometimes if you eat everything on the menu you can make friends with the chef. a+ video game food experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The sushi on the pokemon stadium lickitung game looked super boss

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

Oh that's rad. That kind of reminds me of how The World Ends With You does food. Are there different foods to use, and if so, what does that variety offer in terms of gameplay?
food is the gameplay, when it comes to odin sphere. its an incredibly and weirdly core system where you plant seeds during battles, the seeds absorb anima when you kill enemies near them, then grow into fruit, that while still in the middle of a battle you have to remember to pick before they get too ripe. there's a lot of fruits that take varying amounts of murder to grow, and a bunch of recipes that combine them in different ways to varying effect

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://twitter.com/yourbudtevin/status/1377396448417943557?s=21

400 seems kinda low...

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

The sushi on the pokemon stadium lickitung game looked super boss

man. talk about an unexpected wave of nostalgia. i forgot about the sushi game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I liked the minigame dojo in Pokemon Stadium 1/2 way more than the actual game. I played very little of the actual combat portions of that game, most of the time was either the minigames or playing gameboy on the TV because amazingly Family Video rented out the link pack with the game

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Labrador posted:

Oh that's rad. That kind of reminds me of how The World Ends With You does food. Are there different foods to use, and if so, what does that variety offer in terms of gameplay?

It's such a small thing but I actually really liked how in TWEWY everyone had different food preferences that would make them do more/less.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The food in Muramasa made me hungry as hell

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

It's such a small thing but I actually really liked how in TWEWY everyone had different food preferences that would make them do more/less.

It's really impressive how a little thing like that adds so much a depth to a character. I would love to play more games where more mundane preferences of characters were expressed through gameplay. It's very charming to be like "Oh Beat doesn't like crepes as much as Shiki does!"

That Yakuza thing sounds super charming too. I've only heard great things about that series, so I should probably actually play it soon. Is the Sub or Dub better?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Of the games on current consoles, only the most recent Yakuza even has a dub. Most people agree sub is the way to go.

Playing Yakuza makes me want to go to Japan and just check out convenience stores so bad

Speaking of hanging out in Japan I’m moving onto Persona in my stream soon. Monster Hunter took longer than expected because...it is fun

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

wuggles posted:

Of the games on current consoles, only the most recent Yakuza even has a dub. Most people agree sub is the way to go.

The Yak 7 dub rules tho

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Andrast posted:

The Yak 7 dub rules tho

I heard it and I thought it sound really awkward after playing four of the games in Japanese. However I did see the Ichiban Confections ad in English and it was very good

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the only thing on my feature wishlist for breath of the wild 2 is a recipe book. it was a shame that there were so many cool recipes to discover in botw but the game didn’t keep track of them

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I liked the minigame dojo in Pokemon Stadium 1/2 way more than the actual game. I played very little of the actual combat portions of that game, most of the time was either the minigames or playing gameboy on the TV because amazingly Family Video rented out the link pack with the game

they were really fun! the actual battle stuff was basically just the battle frontier before its formal introduction, in the generations where training up your own team was a big pain, but the minigames you could just jump right into with your friends. a peek into what a pokemon-themed mario party could be like...

homeless snail posted:

food is the gameplay, when it comes to odin sphere. its an incredibly and weirdly core system where you plant seeds during battles, the seeds absorb anima when you kill enemies near them, then grow into fruit, that while still in the middle of a battle you have to remember to pick before they get too ripe. there's a lot of fruits that take varying amounts of murder to grow, and a bunch of recipes that combine them in different ways to varying effect

then leifthrasir tweaks things so that you unlock new recipes by making basic ones enough times for the cook to think of improvements. there's also the lore reason that the city of rabbits are such good cooks and charge a special currency for their food... odin sphere rules

Looper fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 3, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

The Yak 7 dub rules tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmdPZHGESnE

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i forget if this was posted in here or the last thread already, but since we're talking about video game food...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qtH1ly2Sg&t=59s

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

i forget if this was posted in here or the last thread already, but since we're talking about video game food...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qtH1ly2Sg&t=59s

I loving hate babish so much, he's a poo poo Cook with poo poo technique who does nothing but chase clout. I hope he falls down some stairs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I loving hate babish so much, he's a poo poo Cook with poo poo technique who does nothing but chase clout. I hope he falls down some stairs

Charlies posts show a better understanding of basic technique than any babish vid ever has

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't understand this language-switching feature, I guess it doesn't take too much effort programming it in but seems pretty niche

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

disco eh-tedium

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I can't play a game with food in it without thinking of CF now

btw if anyone was watching Persona sorry for cutting it off abruptly. My fiancee fell and hurt her arm (not badly). It said "1 viewer" but no one was chatting so I assume no great loss.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Disco Elysium is pretty great so far. I have a quest to “find some cigarettes and smoke them” because I lost an argument to a voice in my head. Then I punched a kid in the face and became entranced by a trashy novel about Vikings. I can’t stop making this terrible expression at people and I can’t remember my own name or where I live and my partner probably wants to murder me himself now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looper posted:

yoshi's not a pet, this is a blatant bingo foul and i will see you in bingo court

If Yoshi's not a pet then why is he on this list of best video game pets? :thunkher:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Charlies posts show a better understanding of basic technique than any babish vid ever has

i don't know who charlie is (oh the poster from this thread. woops i thought you meant another youtuber person)

and i dunno anything about cooking i just like looking at tasty food sorry

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exactly

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

haveblue posted:

I can’t stop making this terrible expression at people and I can’t remember my own name or where I live and my partner probably wants to murder me himself now

:same:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vtubers still look like stiff digital animatronic ps3 jrpg characters

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

Disco Elysium is pretty great so far. I have a quest to “find some cigarettes and smoke them” because I lost an argument to a voice in my head. Then I punched a kid in the face and became entranced by a trashy novel about Vikings. I can’t stop making this terrible expression at people and I can’t remember my own name or where I live and my partner probably wants to murder me himself now

It really makes all other RPGs look like garbage

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zaphod42 posted:

It really makes all other games look like garbage

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It really makes all other RPGs look like garbage

I mean no, the writing is extremely subpar at best

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Disco Elysium is a game where I feel like either the world is insane or I am because the prose felt like it was trying way too hard and the setting and story were fine but pretty unexceptional, to me. And the actual gameplay was filled with minor little things that annoyed me to no end.

I mean, I finished it and enjoyed it well enough so I can't be too down on it but it wasn't even the best game about an amnesiac detective I played in 2020, and didn't make my top ten

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Disco Elysium is a game where I feel like either the world is insane or I am because the prose felt like it was trying way too hard and the setting and story were fine but pretty unexceptional, to me. And the actual gameplay was filled with minor little things that annoyed me to no end.

I mean, I finished it and enjoyed it well enough so I can't be too down on it but it wasn't even the best game about an amnesiac detective I played in 2020, and didn't make my top ten

This is a pretty good approximation of how I feel, the game tried so hard to be Great that it forgot to be good.

I will give it that I think it looks better than most Modern CRPG's Not trying to fully emulate the Infinity engine games did wonders for it

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 3, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tried so hard to be great that it became excellent

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Tried so hard to be great that it became excellent

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It definitely has a unique setting, and if you're looking for a (competent) game that tackles modern economic and sociopolitical issues without layering elves and poo poo on top of it there aren't many options other than Disco Elysium, though that's more a condemnation of everything else than praise for DE per se

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jay Rust posted:

drat there are so many flash games that are better than final fantasy six
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M9qTB5eN9o

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I feel like the Measurehead conversation is the game distilled down to a single moment and within that you'll know if you love it or not. Like, the fail state for the game isn't not being able to progress, but instead you're allowed to pass but at the cost of becoming racist

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean no, the writing is extremely subpar at best

looks at your avatar

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
'Post reasons a great game is bad, actually' should be a bingo square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU