Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Mirello posted:

cmon dude, pain and itachi are pretty amazing too

itachi was cool until you learned way too much about the uchiha and their stupid eyes

pain is also cool but its not worth reading/watching shippuden for him (and even then it falls right off a cliff after his arc's conclusion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I like my hero academia because most of the professional heroes kinda suck, all the hero-cops were just gonna let a kid die in the second episode, 2 major arcs follows 1) a character who believes professionalization of heroism is gross and fake and 2) another character whose entire syndicate is an evil subversion of Buddhism, whose man goal is to impose monetary/economic barriers on villains and professional heroes changing the systrmic licensing the government regulates into a biological one, that's pay to play. Though i dont like how the law enforcement apparatus never seems to be wrong or ill intentioned so far

Also the last four years were ghastly, so groups of kids coming together to accomplish big things really resonated with me as hopeful

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Too dorky

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

pillsburysoldier posted:

I like my hero academia because most of the professional heroes kinda suck, all the hero-cops were just gonna let a kid die in the second episode, 2 major arcs follows 1) a character who believes professionalization of heroism is gross and fake and 2) another character whose entire syndicate is an evil subversion of Buddhism, whose man goal is to impose monetary/economic barriers on villains and professional heroes changing the systrmic licensing the government regulates into a biological one, that's pay to play. Though i dont like how the law enforcement apparatus never seems to be wrong or ill intentioned so far

Also the last four years were ghastly, so groups of kids coming together to accomplish big things really resonated with me as hopeful

I'd argue at heart it's a right wing show but that's mostly due to superheroes as a genre being right wing

also the MLA are literally patterned off of leftist guerilla movements, though their ideology is magneto poo poo in a world where everyone's an x-men

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dreddout posted:

I'd argue at heart it's a right wing show but that's mostly due to superheroes as a genre being right wing

also the MLA are literally patterned off of leftist guerilla movements, though their ideology is magneto poo poo in a world where everyone's an x-men
The standard hegemony under a blonde haired blue eyed strongman being a lie whose time is quickly running out is a bit on the nose

I dunno what mla is though . I only watch dubs

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Apr 3, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

He's even decked out in red white and blue lol

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Dad posted:

itachi was cool until you learned way too much about the uchiha and their stupid eyes

pain is also cool but its not worth reading/watching shippuden for him (and even then it falls right off a cliff after his arc's conclusion)

Just stop watching after pain (or itachi if it's after) naruto's narrative arc is over after that fight anyways. You could even just skip to the last few episodes too.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

pillsburysoldier posted:

The standard hegemony under a blonde haired blue eyed strongman being a lie whose time is quickly running out is a bit on the nose

all-might is the product of dynastic power brought on by an arbitrary system of inheritance with a severely outdated underdog mythology

dunno what that could mean though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hero society in mha sucks. i don't even think it's subtext

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

He's even decked out in red white and blue lol

i think endeavor referred to him as america man at one point.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

pillsburysoldier posted:

"Meta Liberation Army" which is a title I can only assume is directed at the PLA

Their ideology isn't really leftist or even internally coherent. They're trying to be Magneto in a society where almost everyone is a mutant

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Also all might as a social icon being a way better teacher of heroism than all might the teacher.

I dunno there is a ton of really fun subtext to MHA that's played so straight that I'm never sure if the author intended for it or not.

"Crime goes down when a murderer targets only cops" is particularly wtf. Though that's explicit text

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Apr 3, 2021

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
MHA feels like the author decided to pick a grab bag of popular superhero/shonen ideas as the foundation for his story and then just kept pressing on from there without thinking too hard about how much sense any of it makes.

I already had lost a lot of interest but after Deku turns out to have six quirks on top of already having One For All (which is already the best quirk in existence) I just can't be bothered to care anymore.

Wow how is this guy, who is now by a wide margin the strongest dude alive and has every possible advantage given to him, gonna end up becoming the greatest hero? Who can say?

e: MHA would have ended up being a hell of a lot better if it was about a powerless Deku getting through things with his knowledge and ingenuity, rather than just about a kid arbitrarily being handed the most powerful weapon in existence.

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Apr 3, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Casey Finnigan posted:

e: MHA would have ended up being a hell of a lot better if it was about a powerless Deku getting through things with his knowledge and ingenuity, rather than just about a kid arbitrarily being handed the most powerful weapon in existence.

That was what he tried, exactly, before and no one liked it lol

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
kamen rider is big bad beetleborgs but just one guy, right?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Kamen Rider is a cyborg that goes around beating up nazis.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

hero society in mha sucks. i don't even think it's subtext

its extremely hosed up

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

mha is explicitly a world where young children with impressive superpowers are trained to be part of the cop caste

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Yeah I like MHA Vigilantes a lot more than MHA. It gets into the hero society stuff better, and the story is a lot more character driven. Since the main characters are older they have more reasonable dreams, like "help people" and "be a mildly successful musician" and those desires are what move the plot.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

a guy in vigilantes gets turned into a praying mantis monster and no longer has hands or the ability to fit inside a normal entryway

the authorities only response is "welp, you can always apply for a housing credit :shrug:"

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Is vigilantes gonna be made into an anime?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

pillsburysoldier posted:

what does that make all for one then

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Bro Dad posted:

a guy in vigilantes gets turned into a praying mantis monster and no longer has hands or the ability to fit inside a normal entryway

the authorities only response is "welp, you can always apply for a housing credit :shrug:"

It's done partly as a joke, but it does bring up the idea that people with quirks that make them look monstrous would face a lot of prejudice.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Relin posted:

what does that make all for one then

Cancel culture :smug:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

A lot of people who point out the hypocrisy of hero society in MHA do it as though that’s not the whole conflict of the story. Yeah it’s hosed up and sucks in a lot of ways and every character’s motivation comes from that exact point!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I like MHA Vigilantes a lot more than MHA. It gets into the hero society stuff better, and the story is a lot more character driven. Since the main characters are older they have more reasonable dreams, like "help people" and "be a mildly successful musician" and those desires are what move the plot.

Vigilantes is great since it also keeps the sort of underdog feel, as opposed to the person who starts out looking like one but by end of first few chapters now has the strongest quirk and going to the best school and mentored by the best ever.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/1378654840499236869

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lol the event was a clusterfuck but I'm glad I was able to watch this moment. please god let it release in summer, or at least this year. A bit worried since they didnt give a date

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jolyne is the craziest jojo and i'm hype for this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kit Walker posted:

A lot of people who point out the hypocrisy of hero society in MHA do it as though that’s not the whole conflict of the story. Yeah it’s hosed up and sucks in a lot of ways and every character’s motivation comes from that exact point!

Stain’s main issue is that he doesn’t believe heroes are entitled to the value of their labor. Also that under his philosophy a teenage girl who wants to provide for her family and a middle aged wife/child-beater who dabbles in eugenics part-time are equally deserving of murder.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Just watched Whisper of the Heart. Its a dick move making you wait until the midcredits sequence to find out if Harada ended up with the dumb baseball player

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

Also, as a basic af super heterosexual cisgendered man would I be able to stomach Sailor Moon?

I should think so. The 1992 version is a delightful mix of absurdity and cartoon emotion that held up very well when I rewatched it about a year ago. I didn't care much for the new Viz dub, but that may be simply because the old Dic voices are burned into my head from childhood. I'd personally go with subs on this one, but YMMV

This cuts the 200 episodes down to a more manageable level, but, honestly, just watch some of the first season and see if it clicks for you. I think it works better as a one or two per day sort of show, rather than something to binge, much more 60s Batman than 90s Buffy at the start, so if you're going to watch it all in a couple big sessions, I'd use the filler list and skip episodes.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

might actually watch that one it's my favorite part

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I thought Sailor Moon was cool and watched it before DBZ every day on Toonami but I don't remember a single thing about it where I digested and internalized every plot detail of DBZ

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like that the voice actress they picked for Jolyne is a relative newbie that hit it moderately big with her debut anime. She made an interview after that anime in 2019 where she said that she loved jojo and wouldn't hope to score a gig to play jolyne, she'd be happy just as one of the supporting cast. Well this year she's playing the pink cure for the yearly magical girl series AND Jolyne, talk about knocking it out of the park after just 2 years in the biz.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

she seems dope. I don't know if the weightlifting is just for the other anime it looked like she was doing, but a weightlifting half-Egyptian seems like a too-perfect casting

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I assume Stone Ocean is about how much the American carceral system sucks so I'm going to pre-emptively call it a leftist anime (I haven't actually read the manga).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stone Ocean is loving wild and I look forward to seeing the anime-only crowd's reactions to it.
also Jolyne rules