Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

stryth posted:

Potential names for the replicas.

Monadon't
Monodo
Monadno
Monulldo
Monadfaux
Fauxnado

Monadonot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Huh. I've done the Tyrea sidequest in every version of the game but I never ran across Yumea's Maid, so that was new to me!

Also I have fully reconstructed Colony 6 and beaten that dragon and I'm still not at 100%. :argh: Feels bad. I have no idea what I'm missing and I'm kinda too lazy to look it up.

I've fought the Superbosses in 2, but not in this one. You have a lot more cheese options available in 2, not just "equip Night Vision Gems," which I find boring.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 2, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

tbf you only equip the nightvision gems because half the stat gating in beating the super bosses is actually being able to hit them when they are so far above you in level.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I thought we were talking about swords, not unstable nitryl species.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NGDBSS posted:

I thought we were talking about swords, not unstable nitryl species.

I think the NONONO will do just as good a job as the monado in blowing up Zanza.

If you meet god on the road, blast him with unstable explosives

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vanea does what Zanzmonadon't. ...shut up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Are you using a Internet guide for trading, or does the updated Switch version have an in-game guide which tells you who trades for what and under what conditions? Because on the Wii version, I noped out of the entire trading thing and went to kill monsters normally for any monster drops (and looked for secret spots for rare collectibles).

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The giant character-web menu will show you what people will trade you; as long as you've talked to them to add them to the web anyway.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Are you using a Internet guide for trading, or does the updated Switch version have an in-game guide which tells you who trades for what and under what conditions? Because on the Wii version, I noped out of the entire trading thing and went to kill monsters normally for any monster drops (and looked for secret spots for rare collectibles).

The affinity chart tells you who has what, but it doesn't mention any overtrades so you do have to look those up. And, of course, there are overtrade-only items and you have no way of knowing they're there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I believe DE updated the affinity chart so you can see who can trade for what, but that won’t cover over trades or character inventories when they’re in a different location, like say, a High Entia who migrated from Alcamoth to Colony 6 or Bana when he’s being accosted at the end of Bana the Betrayer. For the most part though, Xenoblade wikia was my friend for those quests.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Theyre almost certainly using an online guide, probably the ancient spreadsheet that contains all Xenoblade knowledge.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does DE give you a way to track how close you are to getting another relationship milestone with characters?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

stryth posted:

Potential names for the replicas.

Monadon't
Monodo
Monadno
Monulldo
Monadfaux
Fauxnado

Monadonial Soccer 64.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rosalie_A posted:

Monadonial Soccer 64.

lol

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Does DE give you a way to track how close you are to getting another relationship milestone with characters?

Not especially, no.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

"Don't topple these guys, they have a random damage spike"

XC1 endgame. And middle game.
There's a reason I farm for anti-spike gems when the level 4 crystals are accessible. A level 5 gem caps at -50%, so with 2 a character is immune to damage spikes.
Too bad they don't work on status spikes (like daze spikes, or instant death spikes).

My strong opinion is that spikes are a blight in this battle system that should be removed without piety, because they bring nothing of value.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I mean, status spikes can be blocked with status immunity gems.

But yeah it is pretty annoying to encounter a new enemy and eat poo poo 'cause they have a 'Gotcha!' spike effect.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Huh. I never made the connection to the enemies in the Bionis Interior being white blood cells. That's cool.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It takes quite the effort to create a dungeon with such impressive visuals and imagery as the Bionis Interior, and then make it a chore to navigate through via pathing shenanigans and annoying enemies/enemy attributes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

It takes quite the effort to create a dungeon with such impressive visuals and imagery as the Bionis Interior, and then make it a chore to navigate through via pathing shenanigans and annoying enemies/enemy attributes.

Not Xenoblade-related in the slightest, but I have a very much delayed gift for you from an old LP long forgotten by now.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The other side of the Bionis' Interior absolutely does change to reflect the Bionis' awakening.

This is from the Third Lung area mentioned in the video:

And for reference, this is what it looks like before Zanza shows up (screenshot from my 3DS copy, because I don't have a save file that far back on Switch):

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Worth noting that somewhere in the huge rear end network of walkways there is path that goes back to the third lung that leads to that little drop off you can see when you go through there the first time on you way to the Marsh. It's neat that the endgame is right there when you pass through so early in the game!

So of course, there is a way to glitch yourself up there early and while you don't stand a chance fighting any of the enemies at that point, the experience for finding new places and landmarks is still the same amount as it would be for your level 70+ characters so you will level up ridiculously fast off of exploration XP alone if you do this. Not sure if they fixed it for the 3DS and Switch versions of the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC there's also a way to glitch yourself up into the endgame section of Tephra Cave using a damage boost from a monster you kite over there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC there's also a way to glitch yourself up into the endgame section of Tephra Cave using a damage boost from a monster you kite over there.

The original glitch to do this got fixed in DE, but speedrunners found a separate exploit to glitch them into another part of endgame Tephra around DE’s launch. Then that got patched out within the first few weeks, so I’m not sure there’s any powerleveling possible in DE anymore.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Can you not cheese the high level Gogols on the Gaur Plains by Spear Breaking them off a cliff while they're asleep anymore? I remember I tried to do that in the DE but I couldn't find any Gogols close enough to the cliffs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Can you not cheese the high level Gogols on the Gaur Plains by Spear Breaking them off a cliff while they're asleep anymore? I remember I tried to do that in the DE but I couldn't find any Gogols close enough to the cliffs.

I did that once or twice in DE to try it but the gains were pretty negligible tbh. I think they capped the experience you get if you’re grossly underleveled?

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

ChaosArgate posted:

I did that once or twice in DE to try it but the gains were pretty negligible tbh. I think they capped the experience you get if you’re grossly underleveled?

They do, but it’s still a respectable enough amount. The real bonus to doing it is the high end, near-end game level loot available. Enjoy getting the max level books for a smattering of skills.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My only criticism with the scene between Melia and Kallian was the dumb decision to have it in a bright white background and to keep the subtitles the same white color they've been throughout the game. Good job on making it hard to see what's going on, Monolith Soft. :bravo:

On the flipside, I look forward to Shulk and company's misadventures at Dicksonmania 2021 next episode.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
A lot of the game after Fallen Arm was vaguely fuzzy, but I definitely remembered fighting Lorithea in a giant organ, and the fight starting off with her kissing the mutant Kallian. I also remember this fight being a huge pain in the rear end. I chose to control Melia as it was fitting for the story, and I kept ending up stuck on small ledges at the edges of the room to avoid falling in the damaging floor.

That combo just went on and on (14 continues!), and it was very impressive you hit it because of how you couldn't see the ring at all.

"I have done nothing. This is your destiny. Accept it with dignity!" is such a badass line.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Daze removes auras, like that rear end in a top hat's super regen aura. Since you couldn't blow the unique in a single chain attack the best option was to use Fiora's forced topple during a chain followed by Reyn's daze.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A lot of the game after Fallen Arm was vaguely fuzzy, but I definitely remembered fighting Lorithea in a giant organ, and the fight starting off with her kissing the mutant Kallian. I also remember this fight being a huge pain in the rear end. I chose to control Melia as it was fitting for the story, and I kept ending up stuck on small ledges at the edges of the room to avoid falling in the damaging floor.

That combo just went on and on (14 continues!), and it was very impressive you hit it because of how you couldn't see the ring at all.

"I have done nothing. This is your destiny. Accept it with dignity!" is such a badass line.

Lorithia's is a pain, because her adds are quite powerful and buff each other (and the main boss) into the stratosphere if left alone.
In the base game, they're also her major weakness because of the way chain attacks work: you can fully recharge the party gauge by killing all four (or five) and wait for Lorithia to summon the next set. Rinse, repeat, kill Lorithia with splash damage from all the boosted AoE you should be slinging around.

They seem to have fixed it in the DE, notice how the adds stay at 1 HP through both chain attacks; in exchange, it felt to me Lorithia had way less HP and a decent chain will simply obliterate her as shown in the video.

Now, who's pumped for Dicksonmania? Because I am.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
how long was that chain attack :psyduck: how long can they get?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The B-prompt extension can show up a maximum of 15 times.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I like how Dunban was lv 91 in the video and:

1) nobody commented on it

2) his level didn't make a drat bit of difference. That was ALL Melia.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm almost done catching up to the LP, but I wanted to mention that the uncut playlist on your channel is missing video #66!

Also :staredog: this weird game has gone some places. drat.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Silver Falcon posted:

I like how Dunban was lv 91 in the video and:

1) nobody commented on it

2) his level didn't make a drat bit of difference. That was ALL Melia.

ChaosArgate plays fast and loose with expert mode so he adjusts the levels as needed, and he's also already shown that at this point in the game, your party level doesn't matter as much.

I remember doing this fight with Melia on my 3DS and it took me a really long time and a lot of deaths before i got it. Also story-wise it makes a ton of sense to have Melia lead this fight.

Otherwise, I stopped paying attention to levels. I was in the low 90s by this point in the game anyway and it STILL kicked my rear end.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I kind of assumed the party was actually going to like, do something with the Bionis's heart, rather than just passing through because they were looking for some disciples to murder.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Polsy posted:

I kind of assumed the party was actually going to like, do something with the Bionis's heart, rather than just passing through because they were looking for some disciples to murder.

Well, they might not want the Bionis to get up and move around more, but they also probably don't want it to fall onto its face. The whole interior section just really smacks of "well, it would be a shame to have established that the main world is on a living organic being and then not have be able to play in a bizarre organic space". It does seem arbitrary to go to the interior then teleport out of the heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Polsy posted:

I thought it was a logical place to go, as I assumed it was like the "control room" of the Bionis, where we'd find the place to set up the last boss murder quest. But no, we're shuffling off to Prison Island for some Dickson murdering action for some reason.

Both Prison Island and Bionis Interior are obvious "you come back here later" areas if you pay attention to the paths that are blocked (or look at the map), but I would expect them to be in reverse order or something. Zanza was, er, ostensibly imprisoned at Prison Island, it seems like it might make sense for the party to go there for evidence on how to defeat him (or maybe something less cliche), then head to the heart of the Bionis to face him.

Edit: As I think about it, remembering that there was the Bionis' Shoulder that cut from the original game probably pushes the endgame into "rushed" territory, where they had the set-pieces ready but not the story. A little bit of Final Fantasy XIII in your Xenoblade, if you will.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 10, 2021