Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

I think John woos stranglehold is as well, not gonna check.

Yeah, because it came with Hard Boiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blockhouse posted:

Doing a little bit of research on Japanese sales shows me that two years after release the game was estimated to have sold 162,041 copies overall with 37,316 those in its first year.

Looking at Atlus games released around the period for comparison: Devil Survivor 106,000 copies in its first year. Persona 3 Portable sold 183,283 first year. The Persona 1 remake sold 149,740 first year. Strange Journey sold 127,946 first year.

It's only not the worst selling overall Atlus game from 2008-2010 because Yggdra Union exists - and it still sold more in its launch year than RvKA did in its.

That's why the series is dead.

e: Nocture did 200,000 in its first two weeks like c'mon

Meanwhile Yggdra Union got like 2 sequels, a bunch of phone games, and 2 separate port upgrades.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I said come in! posted:

That's a first, they couldn't even pull that off for Persona 5.

Simultaneous worldwide releases of text-heavy games like RPGs are REALLY hard, I'm not surprised it took Atlus this long to try.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

I said come in! posted:

That's a first, they couldn't even pull that off for Persona 5.

Persona 5 is talky as gently caress. Mainline SMT games are fairly quiet for RPGs. Like Dragon Quest level.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 31, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cleretic posted:

Simultaneous worldwide releases of text-heavy games like RPGs are REALLY hard, I'm not surprised it took Atlus this long to try.
Yeah, from what I understand, simultaneous localizations are hell because the original JP game scripts are being edited while you're localizing them and you can easily get an updated script that undoes large chunks of work. I'm not surprised most localizations take time after the game is released in Japan to come west, and the truth is I'm not so hard up for options that I need a game right away, I'd rather have a good localization eventually than a rushed one now.

Supremezero posted:

Persona 5 is talky as gently caress. Mainline SMT games are fairly quiet for RPGs. Like Dragon Quest level.
Definitely not surprised they didn't manage to make their furst simultaneous release a Persona game.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Supremezero posted:

Depends on which game you're talking about.

This is the script for Dragon Quest 7

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I recently picked up my 3ds again to return to SMT4 Apocalypse, where I got to around level 80 before setting it down. I've heard people complain about the final dungeon being notoriously awful even for the teleport maze standards of this series, but I remember getting through Merkabah's heaven and thinking we'll this isn't so bad, a little confusing maybe but definitely not worth all the hate it got.

So after starting it up again this week I found out pretty quickly that it wasn't actually the final dungeon and I still had to get through the Cosmic Egg. Okay, not my favorite dungeon, and it's a bad sign when individual dungeon floors have extra giant corridors connecting them. But I made it through eventually.

Well anyway now I'm at what I can only hope is the final dungeon, or at least if there's an even worse one after this I don't plan on seeing it. I thought Twisted Tokyo's "always turn left" mapping method was tedious but at least in there I didn't feel compelled to auto-map every little nook and cranny. Lately I've been starting fights even though the demon's aren't scoutable just to break up the monotony with something exciting like spamming Antichthon on all four party members until the fight ends.

So far I'm on floor two.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 31, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Supremezero posted:

Meanwhile Yggdra Union got like 2 sequels, a bunch of phone games, and 2 separate port upgrades.

Yeah YU did 70k in its first year which is respectable it was only lower on the list than Raidou because it hadn't been out for more than a year by the time of the charts

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

I recently picked up my 3ds again to return to SMT4 Apocalypse, where I got to around level 80 before setting it down. I've heard people complain about the final dungeon being notoriously awful even for the teleport maze standards of this series, but I remember getting through Merkabah's heaven and thinking we'll this isn't so bad, a little confusing maybe but definitely not worth all the hate it got.

So after starting it up again this week I found out pretty quickly that it wasn't actually the final dungeon and I still had to get through the Cosmic Egg. Okay, not my favorite dungeon, and it's a bad sign when individual dungeon floors have extra giant corridors connecting them. But I made it through eventually.

Well anyway now I'm at what I can only hope is the final dungeon, or at least if there's an even worse one after this I don't plan on seeing it. I thought Twisted Tokyo's "always turn left" mapping method was tedious but at least in there I didn't feel compelled to auto-map every little nook and cranny. Lately I've been starting fights even though the demon's aren't scoutable just to break up the monotony with something exciting like spamming Antichthon on all four party members until the fight ends.

So far I'm on floor two.

Just look up a map. It's not worth going through the final dungeon legit.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Apoc is the exact length where I was right at that second getting powerfully sick of the game, so yeah, just beeline the last dungeon.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What are you guys talking about? I just finished my replay of SMT4: Apocalypse, and it ended perfectly at the Cosmic Egg, with the climactic battle against Krishna in Vishnu-Flynn form. There definitely isn't another dungeon after that, full of demons you can't recruit, and nonsensical teleports. Nope! Perfect ending.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Artelier posted:

What are you guys talking about? I just finished my replay of SMT4: Apocalypse, and it ended perfectly at the Cosmic Egg, with the climactic battle against Krishna in Vishnu-Flynn form. There definitely isn't another dungeon after that, full of demons you can't recruit, and nonsensical teleports. Nope! Perfect ending.

Apoc leaves me so conflicted because the final dungeon is indeed indefensibly bad but then the final boss is the best ever.

So I'm like:
Cosmic Egg: Great music and look, very fitting atmosphere for our final trek to that bastard Krishna and our final decision on what to do with the universe.
Vishnu-Flynn: The perfect culmination to the plot and all our struggles.
YHVh's Universe: Oh god why. Everything before this was the perfect ending and yet the game keeps going for some reason.
YHVH: Okay, this is my favorite boss ever in SMT or Persona. Absolutely perfect.

So, so weird.

Still my favorite SMT game.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, huh, I didn't think the "smirking: insta kill" thing would work on Ose in this encounter in the cavern since I figured he was being treated like a mini boss and then it did lol. Bonus

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I eventually went to gamefaqs and followed someone's 30 step guide and it took about 15 minutes to get through.

I thought I was going to game over on the final boss when the "guest group" ate poo poo, incidentally the game announced they got some kind of buff right after the last one died. Luckily my main team closed it out right after so I never found out what would happen if it switched to the team of dead guys.

Am I right in understanding there's nothing new in a new game plus apart from a couple of demon's I just unlocked?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The final dungeon sucked because it made me sick, and in recruitable demons is dumb, but I appreciate them finally putting a nice challenging dungeon in the game. IV and Final up to that point had really been lacking in them.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I recently decided to replay SMT4 and had to start fresh because I lost my 3DS data. I remember going Chaos before, so I'm trying for Neutral this time. I forgot how great this game is and how rough the start was. Also the music rules, especially the Tokyo map track. I never played Apocalypse, so I'm thinking about picking that one up after I run through Neutral and maybe see the Law ending too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Serf posted:

I recently decided to replay SMT4 and had to start fresh because I lost my 3DS data. I remember going Chaos before, so I'm trying for Neutral this time. I forgot how great this game is and how rough the start was. Also the music rules, especially the Tokyo map track. I never played Apocalypse, so I'm thinking about picking that one up after I run through Neutral and maybe see the Law ending too.

You might wanna give yourself a game in the gap between them, for all the changes Final made, the game is still running on the same framework. I personally can't go from DDS to DDS2 or Raidou 1 to 2 without a bit of a break.

Final is pretty good, I'll be interested to see how you feel about it after all is said and done

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Any demons people are disproportionately fond of? Personally, I'm a huge fan of Garm. He's a wild boi with a goth collar and chain, and I appreciate how metal that is.

He's also, like, the only boss I remember from IMAGINE when I played that as a teen with my friend. That game sucked massive rear end, but I liked the atmosphere of some of its areas a fair amount.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've always really liked Turdak for some reason. This series is full of badass demons of all kinds of crazy origins and ridiculous forms and I just like this kickass skeleton man that's metal as hell.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cú Chulainn is my boy, always useful and he looks cool as hell. I also almost always use Kushinada and Kikuri Hime, always useful healing skills and the Grey skin makes them look cool as hell.

I also really like Jeanne D'Arc she was pretty useful in my mid to late game soulhackers, plus I find her having a weakness to Fire hilarious

Also shout out to Nue the demon who sacrificed itself to take out the evil Japanese satellite in Raidou 1

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blue Labrador posted:

Any demons people are disproportionately fond of? Personally, I'm a huge fan of Garm. He's a wild boi with a goth collar and chain, and I appreciate how metal that is.

He's also, like, the only boss I remember from IMAGINE when I played that as a teen with my friend. That game sucked massive rear end, but I liked the atmosphere of some of its areas a fair amount.

I've always liked Norn, I think that's a really cool design and I grab her on my way through basically every game.

The demon I'm always super happy became a mainstay of the series is Yurlungur, though. The fact they have indigenous Australian figures in these games is already very cool to me, but some of the stories about the Rainbow Snake actually originate from where I grew up, so there's a neat bit of local pride there.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Minotaur from SMT4, I was real bummed when I found out he wasn't in Apocalypse.

Also the first three Fiends in Nocturne (Matador, Daisojou, and Hell Rider) I hung onto those guys for a LONG time, long enough that I spent a brief time with all three of them in my active party.

Pyro Jack too, I've always wanted some cool variant for him like Jack Frost gets. Also my first playthrough of Raidou vs King Abaddon I used him and Jack Frost in my first fiend fight that lasted like half an hour before I won.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have a lot of mainstays, like Daisoujou, all the Jack variants, Lilith, Red Rider in Nocturne (use MP to cast party wide physical skill), but if there's a demon I always credit for saving me, it's Uzume. Every time I get Uzume, it's at the exact time I'm thinking I need a new support demon. Uzume MVP.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I remember that P3 4koma that featured Junpei and the MC shouting 'Orobas!' and posing.

So I will forever remember Orobas.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The reaction to andras in the p4 endurance run is the funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

SMT4 Minotaur is probably one of the best SMT boss designs ever. He's the personification of an early "oh poo poo" boss, and that tracks on first glance.

Gaius Marius posted:

Cú Chulainn is my boy, always useful and he looks cool as hell. I also almost always use Kushinada and Kikuri Hime, always useful healing skills and the Grey skin makes them look cool as hell.

I also really like Jeanne D'Arc she was pretty useful in my mid to late game soulhackers, plus I find her having a weakness to Fire hilarious

That's an S tier reference lol. I love it when SMT gets cheeky with mythology. I remember being 13 or so and thinking P3's Messiah being weak to pierce being the funniest poo poo on the planet. I agree with the grey skin thing too. I'm thinking of his PS2 era work, so I don't know if Soejima or Kaneko designed him, but I think the grey motif really makes the thick lines and shading pop, and it looks great.

Hellioning posted:

I remember that P3 4koma that featured Junpei and the MC shouting 'Orobas!' and posing.

So I will forever remember Orobas.

P3 has some amazing fan-art and comics associated with it. Anything that represents the Male MC as a sociopathic, enabling energy vampire of a human being never fails to make me laugh.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
All of these answers are extremely good, and only goes to prove that SMT has some rad monsters.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ose.

...I'm not a furry I just appreciate his usefulness as a mid-to-late game physical attacker.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve always personally loved Megatron, I like the robot angel look. The four horsemen are awesome too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’ve always personally loved Megatron, I like the robot angel look. The four horsemen are awesome too.
When he barely moves his arms up when he casts Fires of Sinai, I feel that man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

This does remind me of how much I loved the new angel designs in SMTIV. Taking 'robot angels' and turning it up to 'H.R. Giger angels' was an inspired choice.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like Bifrons because he's a little skull-faced butler man, and I like Hua Po because every time I play an SMT I forget who uses what elements but I always remember that Hua Po is fire. Tzitzimitl looks cool, so does Balor. Also Rangda 1) has a dope design 2) repels phys and 3) is generally half of a recipe for Shiva. Shiva has been a solution to many of my problems. Hekatoncheires is also cool. Really now I'm just scrolling through the Compendium and noting the demons that look cool, which is all of them. And Vasuki. Seraph. Sraosha. I'll stop.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

This does remind me of how much I loved the new angel designs in SMTIV. Taking 'robot angels' and turning it up to 'H.R. Giger angels' was an inspired choice.

I hate them so much but I respect your opinion

Yurlungr is cool cause of the pic of the dude munching on him like a giant gummy worm

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The reaction to andras in the p4 endurance run is the funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

I looked this up because I remember some of the memes from that, and Andras being an 80s classic-rock boomer is a very fun interpretation lol.

I also want to name drop Quetzalcoatl as a demon I'm fond of as well. I love any demon that pays homage to the mythology of the Americas, but a giant, shining, winged serpent that can do healing and support spells is awesome in a way I'm unsure how to describe.

Alacron posted:

All of these answers are extremely good, and only goes to prove that SMT has some rad monsters.

:emptyquote:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Favorite demons:
Sarasvati in Nocturne because of her strumming her instrument when casting
Asura became a favorite of mine in SJ Redux. Awesome boss fight and voice and look.
IVA made me love Medusa. She benefited a lot from IVA's overhaul of the terrible IV designs. Great voice, too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wanna throw a shout out to my boy Pascal the Dog, he is here and he's perfect. Thank you for chumping Douman, and thank you for being best boy

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I am glad I'm not the only one calling him Megatron. Even when he attacks that weird metallic sound reminds me of Transformers!

Also not really a series mainstay, but I love 4A's Krishna. Sure the skin colour is wrong but flute blowing evil Michael Jackson is such an inspired choice. His skills are excellent.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Artelier posted:

I am glad I'm not the only one calling him Megatron. Even when he attacks that weird metallic sound reminds me of Transformers!

Also not really a series mainstay, but I love 4A's Krishna. Sure the skin colour is wrong but flute blowing evil Michael Jackson is such an inspired choice. His skills are excellent.

All of 4A's main character demons were really good. I'm especially a big fan of 4A's Odin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've always like Hua Po for some reason. No idea why I just think she has a neat design and tends to be a pretty useful early-to-mid game Fire monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shes like High pixie but good, whereas High Pixie is Pixie but worse. Why would they give her that ugly haircut and stupid outfit, The world wonders?