Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

~Coxy posted:

Nightcrawlers

:sotw:
I was thinking of that little tyke when that one came up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang (May 15, 1929)

Is there an album of all the Gay And Her Gang that's easier to link to? I want to show it to someone without having to make her page through the whole thread. Thanks!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (April 21, 1918)

Hope everyone in the apartment block likes the smell of my cum.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: It's quiet... TOO quiet..., or Blueberry gets upset with Crowe, or Blueberry gets a new assignment, but not from Uncle Sam...

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (October 15, 1935)

Holy crap :stare:

quote:

Those Were the Days (July 17, 1952)

*presses buzzer* What is inflation?

Classic Kevin & Kell (July 10-16, 2000)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mikl posted:

Correct. Our three remaining categories are "Women Be Shopping", "Uphill Both Ways", and "Racist Implications."

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

He is So. Bad. At. Exposition.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Bobbins

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

It's all fun and games (and some body mutilation) until someone actually gets killed.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (July 10-16, 2000)

Coincidentally, July 12 2000 is the date the Zvezda module launched for the International Space station. It wouldn't dock until the 28th. The third module to be attached, and the first module that contained life support systems and crew living quarters, and still provides the bulk of the life support. Permanent occupancy of the ISS wouldn't start until October 2000.

And of course, even if for some insane reason you are committed to using hedgehog quills to patch space station holes, it would be absolutely preferable to send up just the quills instead of the whole hedgehog, so obviously there's another plot incoming that requires Lindesfarne to be up there, I presume.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Alright so Luann is not subtle when it comes to which characters are Good Characters and which ones are Bad Characters and the problem is that Bets is supposed to be Gunther's Bad Girlfriend. The problem is that for a while she was pretty sympathetic because she was actually into Gunther's Entitled Nice Guy horseshit, so it's been a gradual erosion of her character by adding on more and more Bad Characterization. Like, ever since she was pretty alright the first time, they've been working on making her this fame-seeking streamer monster who likes popularity and internet likes more than Gunther to the extent that she kind of just ignores Gunther's free will and what he wants, which has not really made most of us dislike her because Gunther loving sucks. But now, yeah, this is just idiotic.

This is the best way to put how they're treating Bets. There's nothing really wrong with Bets aside from her taste in men. She started as a prize for Gunther for being such a Nice Guy and it only got worse from then. The first time I remember the character assassination being super blatant was when Tiff realized she sold all her extra clothes but didn't have enough money to cover her living expenses, and we found out Bets (and Gunther) has been taking 50% of the cut for managing Tiff's online shop.

It's really obvious Team Evans wants us to hate her so it wouldn't be a bad look for them if they wrote out their POC character.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

phew, for a second i was worried this was leading up to fi thinking to start her own company where she hires someone to deal with customers. good thing fi decided not to change her life and stay in this godforsaken toxic company.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Sluggo is cancelled.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 26, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 26, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 26, 1989)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN lol holy poo poo

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

I think this is a good example of "Billingsley's jokes suck but his cartooning is fantastic."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Samovar posted:

Sluggo is cancelled.

I honestly couldn't decide whether to spoiler this one or not.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vargo posted:

I think this is a good example of "Billingsley's jokes suck but his cartooning is fantastic."

Curtis has some Calvin vibes with the outburst at the end, yeah

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 23, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Jul. 23, 1944)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

The Medieval Castle (Jul. 23, 1944)

As usual, Hal Foster is knocking the art out of the park in The Medieval Castle. But the storyline feels kind of distant, if that's the right word.

I guess that's the downside to using a couple of kids as your viewpoint characters: when there are big events like a castle siege, almost everything that actually happens is done by other characters, most of whom don't even have names. Contrast that to Val being involved in (and often instigating) everything that's going on.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "8 - Jucika and the Minicar"

Newspaper is "Minicar in fashion." Get wrecked, kid.

"Jucika searches for the Key"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Snorkmaiden in glasses is a good look.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Comic Strips 2021: I'm Holding in Three Burps and a Fart

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

Holy crap :stare:

I'm pretty sure that old people complaining that the sticker price of things is higher than it was in the past is a universal constant.

Vargo posted:

BCN lol holy poo poo

:allears:

2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Picayune posted:

Here's my guess: Duke obviously knows that Charlie got shot, and where, because he brought the left sneaker without asking or being told which one of the two to bring.
We have a winner! Your prize is knowing you were right.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It's interesting to me how things have been shaking out in Luann these last few years with characters who a people of color.

Delta was around a long time, then suddenly gone without a trace or mention.

Rosa was dating Gunther, then suddenly ran off to do charity work, Gunther went then came back and ever since has often been depicted as not having shaved, symbolizing his becoming a man. Anyways, she has also not been seen or mentioned since.

Now we have Bets, and while we don't know what's going to happen there, it does appear they're setting up friction between her and Gunther (which Luann and Bernice will join in on at a moments notice because that's what they do).

Granted, they wrote out Quill suddenly, but he gets the occasional mention and even appearance. I don't know if they're racist exactly, but they are clearly more comfortable writing for white characters.

Delta's the real surprise to me. She was a major character.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

God this is dumb and boring.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

That Crosby Thing That I Forgot To Post For The Last Two Saturdays (August 28, 1916)

Whom the boss just hired, was left in charge while the chief went to lunch.

Peanuts (April 6, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire, in which RJ makes a new friend.

Thimble Theater (November 3, 1937)

Out Our Way (May 21-23, 1936)

Toonerville Folks, in which Vernon delivers a little bit more than what the situation calls for. (June 11-13, 1917)

Dok's "The Old Shell Game" Duck (July 22, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 3, 2021

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

It's interesting to me how things have been shaking out in Luann these last few years with characters who a people of color.

Delta was around a long time, then suddenly gone without a trace or mention.

Rosa was dating Gunther, then suddenly ran off to do charity work, Gunther went then came back and ever since has often been depicted as not having shaved, symbolizing his becoming a man. Anyways, she has also not been seen or mentioned since.

Now we have Bets, and while we don't know what's going to happen there, it does appear they're setting up friction between her and Gunther (which Luann and Bernice will join in on at a moments notice because that's what they do).

Granted, they wrote out Quill suddenly, but he gets the occasional mention and even appearance. I don't know if they're racist exactly, but they are clearly more comfortable writing for white characters.

Delta's the real surprise to me. She was a major character.

Evidently Greg found Delta (cancer survivor, political activist, black woman in a small white town) to be "impossible" to write for. There was just nothing to say about a character such as her! Now, Luann and Bernice? There are a couple of characters with limitless story possibilities.

Other POC in this strip include Dez, who had a bigger role but now mostly just appears for a panel or two when somebody needs to visit a garden, and that little girl whom Luann was mentoring and the colorist kept lightening for whatever reason.

Les and his cat are the only relatable characters in this strip.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/2/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 3/14-16/46

So the mystery man finally gets his name!

Smokey Stover 4/28/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Another version of the voting strip from a couple days ago... which still feels rather appropriate today.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 3, 2021

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (April 6, 1991)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

2017 Spiderman

Dear readers, if you haven't seen this storyline before I would like you to stop for a moment and have a guess about what's going to happen.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

All of you have lives and family to get back to, and Dinkle is already proving to be a problem by forcing you to practice until 2 AM. You're the ones who hired him so just loving fire the egotistical old rear end already.

Julet Esqu posted:

Evidently Greg found Delta (cancer survivor, political activist, black woman in a small white town) to be "impossible" to write for. There was just nothing to say about a character such as her! Now, Luann and Bernice? There are a couple of characters with limitless story possibilities.

Other POC in this strip include Dez, who had a bigger role but now mostly just appears for a panel or two when somebody needs to visit a garden, and that little girl whom Luann was mentoring and the colorist kept lightening for whatever reason.

Was Delta an actual likable character, or was it just that she had more going on than the rest of the bland cast so she looked better by comparison?

Julet Esqu posted:

Les and his cat are the only relatable characters in this strip.

They're really not subtle about this, huh? Team Evans can't just have them break up amicably, or make it Gunther's fault for being a gormless idiot. It really has to be that Bets is a Bad Person.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Was Delta an actual likable character, or was it just that she had more going on than the rest of the bland cast so she looked better by comparison?

It's hard to remember, since she was written out back when they crossed over into adulthood and that was a long time ago. She was smart and concerned with social justice and did a lot of volunteer work. I can't say for sure, but I suspect she did this all with a holier-than-thou attitude because she was a Good character and all of Greg's Good characters are insufferable like that.

Back in the olden days when the strip was young she was a Cool character who always wore shades and used a lot of slang:

Greg dropped the slang part, thankfully, but she kept the shades for quite a while. Here's a few years later, where you can see she already has an interest in social justice:

Looking through these old strips for examples it was interesting to me what this thing looked like when Greg used to make an effort. Was it good? Eh. But the art was definitely better. People aren't copy and pasted into the same generic poses. And look at the clothes. You can absolutely tell this took place in the 90's. You can't get any sense of time in today's version.

Oh, hey, also just for fun, here's an example of Olden Tiff ACTUALLY being a shithead, instead of us just being told she's one (cw for fatphobia):

Oh, also the lunch lady was dating a teenager and that was totes cool. It seems Greg's troubling tendency to not give a poo poo about adults dating teens goes way back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set experiences FOMO.

Working Daze I don't even loving know.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix lets the mask slip.

Cul De Sac knows it's not the journey, it's the destination.