Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's african land in CK now that's wasteland in EU, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can't be incorporated into the capitalist world-system = wasteland

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol yeah I saw that. Very curious but maybe the idea is that since land in CK can be modeled as "tribal" and only allow the capital level settlement and its near impossible to add more settlements to it they could model it better than EU4?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

This sounds loving terrible, drat. I'm like the perfect target audience for Paradox board games but they need to be more than just a less convenient version of the PC games or I'm not going to bother.

Yeah I looked at it and looked at the '2 hour game' claim and then looked at the photos and thought 'nah'.

Your direct competition is Twilight Imperium so you need to pitch for why your game is a) better/different and b) not a full-day experience.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Was the CK board game they made any good?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
West Africa is great in CK3; the duchy of Manding has an argument to be the best duchy in the game and you can really easily end up making insane amounts of money.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

A Strange Aeon posted:

Was the CK board game they made any good?

It's decent. It has a few issues, such as being way too easy to assassinate people, and war being a bit too hard to pull off, but it's a fun game of screwing each other other and getting good heirs

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I looked at it and looked at the '2 hour game' claim and then looked at the photos and thought 'nah'.

Your direct competition is Twilight Imperium so you need to pitch for why your game is a) better/different and b) not a full-day experience.

The 2 hour play time is utter nonsense.

Makes you appreciate how streamlined everything is in Twilight Imperium. Anybody that wants to play a Stellaris boardgame should just play that.

Or Eclipse, if you like designing and fighting spaceships.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Has anyone tried the actual EU board game?

Stream A Raving Loon did here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMthTW4vRq8YJEeLG5cqf44Vle2DrxZHa

(First nine videos are him translating the game into Roll20)

They do it for about a year, get to the 30 Year's War, and decide to abandon ship before everyone starting hating each other

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There's also this one. It hasn't gotten the physical release yet but it's playable on Tabletop Simulator.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Playing a video game of a board game of a video game based on a board game.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Playing a video game of a board game of a video game based on a board game.

Street Fighter: The Movie Boardgame was already on TTS iirc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Woah I’ve sussed it out, the next PDS title will be Campaign for North Africa: The Video Game

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Woah I’ve sussed it out, the next PDS title will be Campaign for North Africa: The Video Game

Well with an electronic computing device to keep track of everything, the game might actually be playable.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

BUG FIX

- certain CPUs will no longer overheat and explode while calculating how much water the Italian army needs for pasta

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Groke posted:

Got as far as opening the box and looking at the components once. This was way back in the 90s so my recollection is hazy.

If i hadnt bought the boardgame in the mid 90s, and dreaming about finding 150 hours to play it with my friends, there would never have been a PDS.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

pdxjohan posted:

If i hadnt bought the boardgame in the mid 90s, and dreaming about finding 150 hours to play it with my friends, there would never have been a PDS.

Good thing for us, then.

Or maybe a bad thing, considering the ungodly amount of time we have spent on your games.

(I'm one of those poor addicts that have been on the hook since EU1.. )

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
best hoi4 mods? lookin for something like darkest hour

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Asproigerosis posted:

I tried black ice and I like the map and events and focuses but holy god the production is unplayable.
Like, the following must be produced for a standard infantry division:

Rifles
SMGs
MMGs
Uniforms
Mortars
Artillery
Medium artillery
Light cars
Horse-drawn transportation
Tractors
Recon equipment
Signals equipment
Engineer equipment
Radios

And that’s without AT/AA and before fancy poo poo like bazookas appear

This is not even an exaggeration. If you thought the post-MTG naval tech tree was hard to keep up imagine having to research Mk1939 infantry uniforms and four different kinds of non-combat transport vehicle

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

There is a darkest hour mod under development for hoi4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ztei_NItmSs

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Asproigerosis posted:

What do you like from DH? There's the literal DH mod coming out, but some people are a bit iffy on it the look of it so far. Road to 56 is usually well received and doesn't do anything crazy.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Red Flood

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

YF-23 posted:

Red Flood

if you're going to do alternate joke universes, gotta do the best one: Red World. All power to the soviets under General Secretary Bernie Sanders!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2166453693

(The original author passed away; this is a newer version updated for the latest HOI4 patch)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Asproigerosis posted:

i mean you can do KR again, but it's not that great (like in DH bam!!)

otherwise the "good" hoi mods are weirdly the fallout and my little pony ones, not including TNO because that's a very different experience.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
TNO is certainly my favourite HOI4 mod but it's not the wargame map painter most people would want. It's more like a choose your own adventure that makes you feel bad for playing it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

KR is a fine mod, except for the part where they renamed all the ship classes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DaysBefore posted:

TNO is certainly my favourite HOI4 mod but it's not the wargame map painter most people would want. It's more like a choose your own adventure that makes you feel bad for playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab1pbZCN87M

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

VostokProgram posted:

KR is a fine mod, except for the part where they renamed all the ship classes

My favorite part of KR is when the game pauses every half second for 5 minutes to tell you about all the tiny minor nations joining a war.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
KR has the same problem that ahistorical mode in the base game increasingly does, the CYOA poo poo for Every. Single. Nation. is fun for the player but then you realize you did your adventure, one a pissy war or two, and now you're in one of the 90% of games with no meaningful world war because one faction stomped. Now you either start over or randomly invade a big country, which flies against the CYOA poo poo because why is my democratic danube federation randomly starting hellwars?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

KR has the same problem that ahistorical mode in the base game increasingly does, the CYOA poo poo for Every. Single. Nation. is fun for the player but then you realize you did your adventure, one a pissy war or two, and now you're in one of the 90% of games with no meaningful world war because one faction stomped. Now you either start over or randomly invade a big country, which flies against the CYOA poo poo because why is my democratic danube federation randomly starting hellwars?

total conversion mods need to stop trying to have long buildups to their war if they're gonna do thunderdome poo poo i think. There should be a mod that starts at the outset of the conflict like the Armageddon scenario for HoI2 did.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have an idea for an alt-history mod: a world where ww1 still hasn't happened yet as of 1936. I haven't thought about the details much but I feel like it could be an interesting premise

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That poo poo was a problem in the Hoi2 days, making everything this weird three way civil war could make sense from a gameplay perspective, but makes zero percent logical from a historical perspective. And what the gently caress is with New England getting annexed by Canada, If there's one thing I'm sure of in this world it's that every single american would have to die before they let a canadian claim an inch of land.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

i'm steve

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Lum_ posted:

i'm steve

Hi Steve, I'm dad

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

VostokProgram posted:

I have an idea for an alt-history mod: a world where ww1 still hasn't happened yet as of 1936. I haven't thought about the details much but I feel like it could be an interesting premise

While Red Flood is about WW1 fizzling out and ending in a stalemate that leaves everyone dissatisfied, it has inspired some people to make a mod with that premise. No idea what stage it's in and the subreddit where they put out stuff about it hasn't had any updates in a while. Maybe their discord is more active, I don't know. https://www.reddit.com/r/BlueDroughtMod/

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gaius Marius posted:

If there's one thing I'm sure of in this world it's that every single american would have to die before they let a canadian claim an inch of land.
What? I would love it if Canada annexed the US because then I would have gotten one year of paternity leave rather than one week. gently caress the USA.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What? I would love it if Canada annexed the US because then I would have gotten one year of paternity leave rather than one week. gently caress the USA.

Canada gives you 35 weeks split between both parents however you choose, don't get too pie-in-the-sky about the great white north.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

And what the gently caress is with New England getting annexed by Canada, If there's one thing I'm sure of in this world it's that every single american would have to die before they let a canadian claim an inch of land.
there were some peculiar long-lasting affinities between new england and canada in the nineteenth century that had to do, i think, with the conservative congregational establishment, the concentration of elite merchants, the significant volume of interregional trade, and the closer connection to britain, that existed between the two regions at the time. new england practically refused to fight the war of 1812; and at one point in the 1830s(?) were so angry with US national trade policy that they threatened to join canada. still no idea if that is what informs the annexation chain. and ultimately isn't really applicable to the 1940s i would say.

Zane fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 4, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Canada gives you 35 weeks split between both parents however you choose, don't get too pie-in-the-sky about the great white north.
I must have misunderstood what one of my colleagues that lives in Canada & works for the same company as me then. In any case that is way loving better than 1 week per parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I must have misunderstood what one of my colleagues that lives in Canada & works for the same company as me then. In any case that is way loving better than 1 week per parent.
I'm guessing the 35 is statutory and the 1 year is what the canadian branch has to offer to be competitive. Meanwhile the American branch gets away with combining holiday and sick leave because lol what you gonna do