Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Crystalgate posted:

It seems faith builds work as I expected. Well, I do have a hexer with 40 int and faith and the support miracles just happens to require a relative low faith, so I'm not really seeing the point of a faith build right now. As for a punchy build, I'm getting the impression that they are more fun than powerful, which is fair enough. I think I'll try to combine Ring of Blades +2, Flynn Ring and Sacred Oat all at once to boost it. That will be quite an investment, but perfectly doable when I tried it out on mugenmonkey.

Good luck getting the FOUR loving ATTUNEMENT SLOTS SACRED OATH REQUIRES TO ATTUNE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
No no, sacred oat. It helps you make a nutritious and easy meal in the morning

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

No no, sacred oat. It helps you make a nutritious and easy meal in the morning

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Frida Call Me posted:

Good luck getting the FOUR loving ATTUNEMENT SLOTS SACRED OATH REQUIRES TO ATTUNE.
always seemed to me that this must be an overcorrection to the strength of it being applicable to nearby allies, kind of like how they made the group healing miracles in ds1 really stat hungry and gated behind a covenant

at least it has a lot of casts

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

IronicDongz posted:

always seemed to me that this must be an overcorrection to the strength of it being applicable to nearby allies, kind of like how they made the group healing miracles in ds1 really stat hungry and gated behind a covenant

at least it has a lot of casts

It does have a lot of casts but if you spice it down it nukes the duration hard, so you can't skimp on faith or attunement. Four slots is so many that you can't really fit it into a sunbro build unless you don't take more than one or two other miracles. It almost mandates the ritual band +2 for the 3 extra slots, and there's far more useful rings available for everyone.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Thought people might want to know there's a Return to Yharnam event going on now, if that's your jam

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

It does have a lot of casts but if you spice it down it nukes the duration hard, so you can't skimp on faith or attunement. Four slots is so many that you can't really fit it into a sunbro build unless you don't take more than one or two other miracles. It almost mandates the ritual band +2 for the 3 extra slots, and there's far more useful rings available for everyone.
The sacred oat is not for a sunbro build, but for a punchy build. I also tried it on Mugenmonkey and by the time I kill Veldstadt, my setup should be affordable or almost affordable. I can get 40 str, 45 dex, enough faith and attunement for sacred oat and still have enough points in the remaining stats to hit comfortable stat caps.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Pls feel free to use this for announcement of a veeg stream on the thread

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I broke the Santiers Spear. Took some banging the walls while waiting for coop summons by Seath.

Not sure if it was worth it. :negative:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

axolotl farmer posted:

I broke the Santiers Spear. Took some banging the walls while waiting for coop summons by Seath.

Make it raw. There’s no stat scaling so it is strictly an improvement

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

The moveset is cool and at least you have an unbreakable weapon that will work with raw infusion.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
I recently co-opped through the game with a friend and used the Santier Spear almost exclusively once I got (and broke) it. It’s a fun weapon. The roll into heavy attack is a good, fast damage dealer.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Been running with lightning heide spear and lightning defenders greatsword with sun oath and sunlight blade ... Cool stuff! Been doing a lot of co op and it rules playing this again. It's probably the one souls game that I'm most unfamiliar with

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
do sorcery-based weapon enchants increase poise damage? i swear my raiper was staggering mobs that otherwise were not getting staggered when i enchanted it and used the same move set

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
no

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Verviticus posted:

do sorcery-based weapon enchants increase poise damage? i swear my raiper was staggering mobs that otherwise were not getting staggered when i enchanted it and used the same move set

it could have just been the bonus counter damage. rapiers get shitloads of extra damage if you land an attack while the enemy is attacking. this includes bosses, it's part of why every speedrun uses the rapier.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

When doing a STR character, I always always fully upgrade the Estoc as backup. I love that it's a STR weapon on DS2 while being a DEX one on 1 and 3.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Guillermus posted:

When doing a STR character, I always always fully upgrade the Estoc as backup. I love that it's a STR weapon on DS2 while being a DEX one on 1 and 3.

What. I played through DS2 all over again just now as a dex with an Estoc. How on earth did I miss that

To be fair I also used dual poison & bleed whips a lot which is hilarious to terrify invaders with. They always eventually win but I never cared - it’s all that moment where you powerstance double whip them and you can see the utter panic set in, just imagining two proc bars appearing on their screen and they start very obviously scrambling behind cover.

:rms:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Aidan_702 posted:

What. I played through DS2 all over again just now as a dex with an Estoc. How on earth did I miss that

Estoc has a B/D (STR/DEX) scaling on DS2 so strength builds have the option of a light and fast trusting weapon to use Leo Ring with. It's present on every character STR focused (along with Bandit Axe). Dark Souls 2 has an excellent roster of weapons and possible builds with the added bonus of powerstancing.

A build I like against NPC or human invaders is grand lance on right, claymore on left hand. R1-L1-R1-L1 combo :haw:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That combo works like how I golf.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been powerstancing katanas (uchi and blacksteel) but I'm not convinced that it's better than just two handing them.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there any reason to buy Scholar if I own DS2 and all DLC on my 360. It's coming time to play them again and I'm just wondering if Scholar adds anything worth buying. As far as I can tell it just has different enemy placement.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
it makes like 1/3rd of weapons and armor actually available for a normal human player instead of putting them in endgame (weapons) or as a 1% drop from a red phantom only respawnable with ascetics

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

snoremac posted:

Is there any reason to buy Scholar if I own DS2 and all DLC on my 360. It's coming time to play them again and I'm just wondering if Scholar adds anything worth buying. As far as I can tell it just has different enemy placement.

Scholar on PC and PS4/Xbox changes some item and enemy locations. Also 60fps and that alone is a good reason.

It goes on sale often on all playforms and imo is worth getting.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Probably more active if you want to do co-op or pvp.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

snoremac posted:

Scholar changes a lot of things around, not just enemies. The progression is different in some ways, with more statues requiring branches in the way (and more branches scattered around to compensate). Item placement is changed a lot as well, for example giving you access to a lot of fun weapons much earlier (Whip and Grand Lance directly after Last Giant, for example). Estus Flask Shards are similarly changed, so the dynamic of finding them and prioritizing areas is different.

The game also looks much better (lighting especially), it's 60 FPS compared to the original's 30, and they did finally fix the bugs associated with that so that's only a positive now.

Finally, if you care about Multiplayer at all, you'll find a LOT more people playing Scholar than vanilla.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Also you get to 100% another game.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
i am drunk enough to be convinced and buy it while it's on sale

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Yeah, SOTFS is kinda like a fan remix with ups (better progression and balance), downs ("hilarious" gotchas and encounters with too many enemies), and surprises (refined Pursuer), and honestly it's now the de facto version any way.

Some of the differences still trip me up a bit, even having 100%d both.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Playing through ds3 and i don't get the "too many enemies" criticism of sotfs because 3 throws hella enemies and ambushes at you like all the time

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah DS3 also doesn't capture the feel DS1 had where it felt like you and the enemies were on roughly equal footing. It's a criticism coming from people who liked that about DS1 going into DS2 and seeing the franchise lean a little too hard on the reputation of difficulty.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

i don't think any place in sotfs had too many enemies. yeah, you've got to kill 20 alonne knights if you want to fight the smelter demon, but that's an optional boss fight. i also don't think 20 is too many, perhaps a lot, but not too many.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
From my already fading memory, Scholar makes the first chunk of Iron Keep needlessly tedious for anyone who can't clown on alonne knights, makes Aldia's a bit more of a pain in the rear end, and then completely ruins Dragon Aerie as a sledgehammer nerf to titanite farming I guess? Oh and I suppose Undead Crypt does some questionable stuff, even though I don't think any of it is that big of a deal. Everything else is basically the same or noticeably improved, though in some cases it might be harder to tell if you're allergic to summoning.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

From my already fading memory, Scholar makes the first chunk of Iron Keep needlessly tedious for anyone who can't clown on alonne knights, makes Aldia's a bit more of a pain in the rear end, and then completely ruins Dragon Aerie as a sledgehammer nerf to titanite farming I guess? Oh and I suppose Undead Crypt does some questionable stuff, even though I don't think any of it is that big of a deal. Everything else is basically the same or noticeably improved, though in some cases it might be harder to tell if you're allergic to summoning.

i concede that if you can't kill alonne knights or lure them out 1 at a time, iron keep can be difficult in sotfs. aldia's you need to fight exactly 0 enemies to get from the start of the zone to the boss fog gate. undead crypt feels pretty much unchanged from the base game. i think there's an extra caster after the secret bonfire, that's about it.

dragon aerie can still be used for titanite farming, but the true titanite farm is the black gulch bonfire and a fire short bow. worms drop large/chunks and if you just set their pool on fire you never have to engage them. rest at the bonfire, rinse/repeat.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 12, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Speaking of Aldia's Keep what kind of enemy is inside the "obviously a trap" wagons that are shaking every so often?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Item Getter posted:

Speaking of Aldia's Keep what kind of enemy is inside the "obviously a trap" wagons that are shaking every so often?
basilisks are rockin', don't come a knockin'

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
yeah the new Iron Keep loving sucks lol. The changed Aldia’s Keep is really cool though and has a great vibe of a secret magical experiment mansion!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I can't imagine working out how to access the DLC without looking it up online. It's an insanely obscure sequence, even more so than getting to the final boss.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Is it? You get a key laying around and go to the big glowing fountains that you’re guaranteed to see over a normal playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

goblin week posted:

Is it? You get a key laying around and go to the big glowing fountains that you’re guaranteed to see over a normal playthrough

Unless I did something wrong, you have to go to a very well hidden secret area to get the forgotten key, and then unlock another moderately well hidden door to get the dragon claw (?) before you can actually get through the doors on the other side of the fountains.