Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Laserjet 4P posted:

xv5050, wayyy more bang for the buck

I picked up a XV0380 with two expansion cards for around 300 bucks on ebay. You can use two different card expansion types in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm seeing a lot of japanese ebay listings for these with disclaimers about voltages and hertzes, can someone give me a rundown (or link) on what can I run on wall power in the US without frying a $300 synth

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm seeing a lot of japanese ebay listings for these with disclaimers about voltages and hertzes, can someone give me a rundown (or link) on what can I run on wall power in the US without frying a $300 synth

Japan runs on both 50 and 60 Hz but they run on 100v. If it's a Roland rack module, it probably has a Bando transformer in it so you should be able to easily switch it to 120v. If it's not easy to switch, then you can use something like this step down transformer for Japanese electronics.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 3, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I don't want anyone burning up their rack synths, but I've never had a problem with japanese video games consoles on the american power grid. the input voltage difference isn't really enough to matter for a coil tranformer that's taking it down to 12 volts.

op, you could obviate the problem entirely by buying an ensoniq mr-rack, proudly designed and manufactured in the united states

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’ll check that one out too. I’ve been buying a lot of folk instruments lately to supplement my rompler poo poo. Like tambourines and recorders. Trying to select a tin whistle right now. I’ve been writing in C Dorian which looks like I will need a Bb whistle. But those aren’t very common so I might go for a C whistle and shift everything to D dorian. At least the harp patch on my XG is perfect

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the mr-rack supports the midid tuning standard, so you could theoretically dump some genuine medieval tunings to it and get some massively authentic dungeon synth going on

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Like equal temperament? I wonder if I can program that into the QY, you can sequence detune messages per instrument in song mode. In theory I could send a new detune message for every note. That would be a pita for sure lol

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

equal temperament is the default as it is with all synths. unless you mean something cool like 5 tone e.t. or 19 tone e.t., which it can also do.

you can also do well temperaments and meantones and hand rolled approximations and whatever. which is what music was composed and played in until pretty recently

https://www.historicaltuning.com/TuningsSummary.html

the mr-rack's user tuning spots are nonvolatile and the implementation is pretty clean for a device that's a quarter century old. you draw up your pitch table in scala, sysex dump it to the synth and select it in the patch parameters. no per note retuning or anything else kludgey. the process is cumbersome and obtuse the first few times you do it, but honestly until very recently ensoniq was the high water mark for compatibility, reliability and general ease of use.

come to think of it, an mr-61 would probably be cheaper if you have room for a keyboard and you can find one locally so shipping isn't an issue

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Speaking of, OddSound collaborated with Aphex Twin on a new plugin called MTS-ESP Suite. Basically consolidates a lot of your alternate tuning needs into one place. Can send via MIDI with MTS-ESP, MPE, MTS SysEx or MIDI pitch bend, Poly or Mono. Also supports a lot of plugins with more coming I think (also probably just natively supports any VST via Pitch Bend mode, although that's less resolution). The big thing though is that there's just a big master tuning plugin host, and then clients that listen to it, so you don't need to worry about loading the right tuning setup into every single synth, you just have it all in one place and everything listens to it and is tuned off of it no matter what. There is an Express or Lite or whatever version that is free that you just load tunings in and go, and the Suite has tools for creating tunings. The full version is 30 day free demo no limitations, so, worth looking at anyway if you like alternate tunings and want to see if it improves your workflow.

e: forgot link https://oddsound.com/mtsespsuite.php

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the cool thing about the esp suite is that except the plouge chip synth and arachaic native insturments stuff, all the vts I use are already supported.

I should play some synths and make some music. I haven't in a year

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok I lied I’m making dungeon synth

Good. The world needs more dungeon synth by non-fashy people. As you can tell by all the edits, I loving love dungeon synth. I first got into it when the special order of my copy of Vond's "Slipp sorgen Los" came in, and I first listened to it, on the day I met my wife.

I've tried my hand at dungeon synth a few times, but the results are always like https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/tracks/count-chocvla,-wampyric-lord-of-saturday-morning-brvakfast
I just can't be serious enough for dungeon synth. But, I have a cassette by "Cavern of Moss", so maybe I don't have to be. :D

Also, I caught this on Twitch a few months back. It was awesome!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNW0jq5I3c

Francis Roberts has some really good videos on dungeon synth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6z_PkBj_nk

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 5, 2021

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Looking for help on repairing a a Yahama SHS-10 keytar where the sound cuts out. I got it off a local buy nothing group and now I know why it was posted there. After being turned on the keys and the different synth options work for about a minute, then the display and sound reverts back to the basic sound and stops playing. The display light fades a bit but stays on. I opened the keyboard and saw that a battery had leaked inside at some point so I cleaned the back of the board. I don't have anything to de-solder the connections so even with board unscrewed from the rest of the keytar I can't see what is going on on the other side. Looking at it the other side with a flashlight didn't show anything except that is is a little dusty. All the spots where the wires connect to the parts of the keytar look fine and aren't loose (at least on the parts I can see). I don't even know if this is repairable and don't want to buy a soldering tool if it can't be fixed.

Pic of board: https://i.postimg.cc/VkNvSnLY/IMG-7916.jpg

Video of what is happening with the sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDeS0dyRFz8

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
This feels like one of the buttons triggering, if you can clean the sandwich out it might be OK. I'd try deliberately working each of the buttons and rolling your finger with heavy pressure before thinking about stripping it.
It's old enough that that'd be the lucky repair.

E: misremembered, it's a doped button strip not a sandwich, same suggestion though. in addition rapid tapping on the short edges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JYIq1T092o&t=386s

Startyde fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 5, 2021

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Startyde posted:

This feels like one of the buttons triggering, if you can clean the sandwich out it might be OK. I'd try deliberately working each of the buttons and rolling your finger with heavy pressure before thinking about stripping it.
It's old enough that that'd be the lucky repair.

E: misremembered, it's a doped button strip not a sandwich, same suggestion though. in addition rapid tapping on the short edges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JYIq1T092o&t=386s

I was able to get the button strip along the neck of the keytar off and wiped those and the contacts down, as well as the back of the board but the same issue is still happening. I didn't notice any damage to the back of the board. I guess the next step is to take off everything so I can get to the buttons on top of the area where the keyboard is and clean the keyboard and those buttons and hope that works.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
This is probably a superdumb question but what on earth is dungeonsynth?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I think it's like neofolk but with synthesizers

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

imagine you’re trying to score an 80s gothic fantasy movie but all equipment you have is a cheap synthesizer and a cassette recorder.

also maybe you’re also a norwegian fascist in prison for murder

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

im_sorry posted:

I've tried my hand at dungeon synth a few times, but the results are always like https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/tracks/count-chocvla,-wampyric-lord-of-saturday-morning-brvakfast
I just can't be serious enough for dungeon synth. But, I have a cassette by "Cavern of Moss", so maybe I don't have to be. :D

this is really cool, like a soundtrack to a long lost made for tv Conan movie

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Has anyone here ever done any repair or cleaning work on vintage synths? A friend was cleaning out their spare room and gave me an HS-60 (uglier Juno-106 with speakers basically) that they'd gotten from a family member at some point but never used. Pretty excellent birthday present, and after cleaning it up a bit it seems like it's actually in excellent condition barring some cosmetic flaws and a couple of snapped keys.

I've never owned a vintage analog or played a Juno but after going through some testing checklists I found online it doesn't seem to have the common voice chip failures or chorus issues- I ran it in diagnostic mode and all the chips work in all waveforms and without any scratchiness/breakup. The only problems I could find were 4 dead keys, some buttons that needed a firmer press than most of them, and that most of the sliders and knobs were pretty scratchy (and some seemed like they weren't active on their full range of motion). And the fader dust covers were all falling apart from what I could see. After I cleaned all the grime off the front panel, I took off the keyboard guard and opened up the panel to clean out the major dust.

You can see the voice chips here- they are under the keyboard in the HS-60 since the built-in speakers take up so much room in the case. They look a bit crooked, but they sound fine. Maybe a result of the synth apparently being stored vertically on one side in a closet?

I didn't want to try much other than cleaning it all out since almost everything worked and sounded great, but I felt comfortable enough to follow a guide to replace the keys. Since I had to remove the key retention strip almost halfway to get those broken ones out, I decided to just take them all out and clean under them in the hopes that it might solve the issue of the keys that didn't work and because it was way easier to clean the keys that way. I tightened a couple screws on the bender panel that were loose too and got rid of a little wiggle the panel had when touched.

Screwed everything back together and it looks great! But those 4 keys marked in blue are unfortunately still dead. I didn't open things up enough to get at the slider covers, since that would have meant unscrewing some boards and since I don't have replacement covers at the moment there wasn't much point. I'm going to order some of those though and look up some guides on disassembling and cleaning or totally replacing the sliders- hopefully that will resolve some of those small problems.

Anyone have any idea what could be behind those dead keys? (I know that's probably a hard question without being able to inspect the synth.) The slider issue is sort of hard to describe (and I guess it's possible that nothing is really wrong and I'm just not understanding fully how the controls are interacting). One example is that the cutoff frequency is fully down from 0-5 (really no sound at all), and almost totally open for most of the top half of the range. All of the sweep is contained in a tiny area just past 5. However, that range changes somewhat if the Env and Keyboard filter settings are in different positions, so I'm not really sure what's going on there. And, if I dial in the cutoff to something in that small range (something other than fully opened up basically), and turn on the chorus, and use square wave on the oscillator, then there is a little bit of audio breakup/distortion, but only in that specific combination of settings.

Having a blast playing it regardless- it sounds amazing. Going to hook it up to my piano keyboard tonight to get around the dead key issue for the time being. I'll try to get some audio or video recorded soon!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

re: dead keys. check for cracks and broken traces on the board that has the key contacts. keys are read as a matrix so if one line going to the decoder is dead you end up with several dead keys.

I had that problem on an esq-1 and it took days to fix because the crack in the trace wasn't visually obvious

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've not worked on any Roland gear but for pots and sliders caig deoxit is amazing just a little squirt in the offending part and give it a work through it's motion to flush crap out.

As far as parts go syntaur should have most anything you would need.
https://www.syntaur.com/index.php

They have a forum too if you get really stuck someone over there has probably fixed the problem before. Just make sure and come back here and share the knowledge.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Anyone have any idea what could be behind those dead keys? (I know that's probably a hard question without being able to inspect the synth.) The slider issue is sort of hard to describe (and I guess it's possible that nothing is really wrong and I'm just not understanding fully how the controls are interacting). One example is that the cutoff frequency is fully down from 0-5 (really no sound at all), and almost totally open for most of the top half of the range. All of the sweep is contained in a tiny area just past 5. However, that range changes somewhat if the Env and Keyboard filter settings are in different positions, so I'm not really sure what's going on there. And, if I dial in the cutoff to something in that small range (something other than fully opened up basically), and turn on the chorus, and use square wave on the oscillator, then there is a little bit of audio breakup/distortion, but only in that specific combination of settings.

Having a blast playing it regardless- it sounds amazing. Going to hook it up to my piano keyboard tonight to get around the dead key issue for the time being. I'll try to get some audio or video recorded soon!

Congrats! Yeah a bit hard to tell without being there, for your dead keys it could be the contacts on the rubber strip thats a bit misaligned. If you maybe push the rubber domes with the keys still off and give them a bit of a wiggle. I would say remove and reseat the whole thing but it looks like its 1 strip for all of the keys, so I don't want you to end up losing the alignment of all your keys. You might be able to check with a multimeter if you can find a decent point to test for a connection being made/broken for each key but I'm guessing it'll all get multiplexed into a small chip which would be difficult to probe.

The slider thing could be a voltage being offset or something like that - have a look for any dead or leaky caps or burnt resistors around the area for a start, but without knowing what the voltage to value SHOULD be, it'll probably be a big pain to diagnose.

im_sorry posted:

Good. The world needs more dungeon synth by non-fashy people.

watho posted:

also maybe you’re also a norwegian fascist in prison for murder

I totally didn't make the connection there until the norwegian prison bit. I have plans for a dungeon synthy soundtrack in my near future and I can finally put my godwin string synth to good use :v:

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Restored a Juno 106 over the weekend. This poo poo sounds amazing

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Restored a Juno 106 over the weekend. This poo poo sounds amazing

Didn't happen to restore any dead keys, didja? :) Would love to see before/after images if you took some, too

The Voice of Labor posted:

re: dead keys. check for cracks and broken traces on the board that has the key contacts. keys are read as a matrix so if one line going to the decoder is dead you end up with several dead keys.

I had that problem on an esq-1 and it took days to fix because the crack in the trace wasn't visually obvious

I'll take a look for that, thanks! If I do find a gap on the board, what would I do to re-connect it? I saw an old forum post about using white out for redrawing connections, but that seems sort of crazy to me...

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Congrats! Yeah a bit hard to tell without being there, for your dead keys it could be the contacts on the rubber strip thats a bit misaligned. If you maybe push the rubber domes with the keys still off and give them a bit of a wiggle. I would say remove and reseat the whole thing but it looks like its 1 strip for all of the keys, so I don't want you to end up losing the alignment of all your keys. You might be able to check with a multimeter if you can find a decent point to test for a connection being made/broken for each key but I'm guessing it'll all get multiplexed into a small chip which would be difficult to probe.

The slider thing could be a voltage being offset or something like that - have a look for any dead or leaky caps or burnt resistors around the area for a start, but without knowing what the voltage to value SHOULD be, it'll probably be a big pain to diagnose.

Hmm, I'll have to look at the rubber strips. I think they're actually broken up into groups- is that what you mean by "1 strip for all the keys?"

I'll have to look closer around the sliders- I didn't remove the board to actually see the areas around the felt covers and direct connections since that would require unplugging stuff internally and I didn't want to mess anything up in case cleaning would resolve it

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 5, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you find a crack in the board, you visually trace back to a solder point on either side of the crack then solder a wire to those two points, or you can scrape off the masking around the crack and bridge the crack either with a bit of jumper wire or by just gobbing solder.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Didn't happen to restore any dead keys, didja? :) Would love to see before/after images if you took some, too

I'll take a look for that, thanks! If I do find a gap on the board, what would I do to re-connect it? I saw an old forum post about using white out for redrawing connections, but that seems sort of crazy to me...

Hmm, I'll have to look at the rubber strips. I think they're actually broken up into groups- is that what you mean by "1 strip for all the keys?"

I'll have to look closer around the sliders- I didn't remove the board to actually see the areas around the felt covers and direct connections since that would require unplugging stuff internally and I didn't want to mess anything up in case cleaning would resolve it

For a gap in the board the least finicky/least catastrophic failure way is to follow the PCB trace to see which components are connected by it and use a soldered on wire to connect the components instead. I have an SH-2000 with a cracked board and fixed it by scraping the top layer off the circuit and soldered clipped off resistor legs across - it was tough work, the circuit board later fell over and half of the fuckers dropped straight back off again. So if you look at the red wire on the left that's just a wire connecting the 2 components that should be connected by the cracked circuit board, not as pretty but you can at least poke the wire into the thru hole when you solder it so its a lot sturdier.

Yeah On closer inspection, the rubber strip is divided into parts - I thought it was 1 long strip, so what I usually do is swap a couple of strips over and see if that changes which key is dead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it's like neofolk but with synthesizers
I listened to like ten seconds of those youtube videos and yeah that seems to pretty much nail it

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

DungeonSynth will never not mean these to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPpguW2rAsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_68QeDPs74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK1qLnk6SXI

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Luckily all I had to do is install a new battery on the cpu pcb and reflash the presets. I bought some replacement voice chips but looks like i dont need them as of yet, so hopefully i can return

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I had never heard dungeon synth before, now I want to make some terrible approximation of it. Not enough to drop $300+ on a rompler, though...

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Luckily all I had to do is install a new battery on the cpu pcb and reflash the presets. I bought some replacement voice chips but looks like i dont need them as of yet, so hopefully i can return

Nice! I think I need to do that with the presets as well- about 15% of them seem to have become a strange hissing phasing siren sound. I was braced to find 1 or more dead voice chips myself, feel very lucky that they all work well

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MockingQuantum posted:

Not enough to drop $300+ on a rompler, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfrFx5DzJzk

For a mere pittance per month you too can hear the dulcet waveforms of the D50, JV1080 etc.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It’s just dark ambient lol

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

It’s just dark ambient lol

I've found it's either that of Final Fantasy sounding music. I dunno what you even call that. I dunno if they were calling it Dungeonwhatever 30 years ago or not.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

basically the project is going to be a 5-6 song EP, leaning more to tavern dnd background music than dark ambient or black metal. and kinda telling a story along the way. not exactly Peter and the wolf tho.

friend of mine does witchy fantasy-themed collage art with vintage playboys and I've commissioned her for the album art

I have 2 and a half tracks sketched out so far. song mode on the QY has been really nice actually, I can never get real songs written with looping sequencers

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Philthy posted:

I've found it's either that of Final Fantasy sounding music. I dunno what you even call that. I dunno if they were calling it Dungeonwhatever 30 years ago or not.

Yeah its this imo. I don't think they were? But I think they're calling the 30 year old stuff that now. It reminds me of the sound track of the dnd sessions in the basement of the comic store I used to work at when I was a teenager. Pure vibes. Dungeon synth owns.

JV-1010s are a very nice budget choice both in $ and rack space. Less expansion slots and front panel editing but both are rabbit holes you don't really wanna go down. I got mine for ~$100 a couple years ago and they're not double that yet.

A MIRACLE posted:

basically the project is going to be a 5-6 song EP, leaning more to tavern dnd background music than dark ambient or black metal. and kinda telling a story along the way. not exactly Peter and the wolf tho.

friend of mine does witchy fantasy-themed collage art with vintage playboys and I've commissioned her for the album art

I have 2 and a half tracks sketched out so far. song mode on the QY has been really nice actually, I can never get real songs written with looping sequencers

this owns

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

not real sure what to make of the fact that we've crested the unpopular obsolete gear wave on romplers and are now heading up the pricing curve to retro and desirable

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
We should do another bonerjams collection, but make it all dungeon synth.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

not real sure what to make of the fact that we've crested the unpopular obsolete gear wave on romplers and are now heading up the pricing curve to retro and desirable

Dunno but I'm #HODL this pro/cussion until it hits four figgies. :retrogames:

im_sorry posted:

We should do another bonerjams collection, but make it all dungeon synth.

I kinda sorta built a case for it but, ,,commitment

e:
I get some good going and then epiano or string pads over it

Startyde fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Riding the mallwave wave or perhaps its time to get head of the curve, buy an access virus and make a goa trance album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JELt1jxJsHQ

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 6, 2021